Truck Clear Coat help? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Truck Clear Coat help?

I just painted my hunting pickup with ACRYLIC ENAMEL olive drab paint, I'm gonna use rust oleum spray can paint for leaves and stuff it's the camo kinds at walmart, when I'm done I'm planning on using a URETHANE CLEAR COAT? Will it be fine? How long should I let it cure?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Welcome to the site, in all honesty, your question makes me wonder.

I am not understanding why you want to put clear over top of drab paint....let alone over top of rustoelum. Isn't the camo effect supposed to be dull and drab, not shiny so that it blends in and doesn't stand out?

If you tell me that it's for protection or you just insist on doing this....you could use a matte clear (Flat clear)...I don't know how long ago you painted the acrylic enamel but, it would need to be sanded for adhesion purposes for both the paint you use for leaves and the clear coat (why not use acrylic enamel for leaves as well? rustoleum is a different animal of paint and not sure how it's going to react with a urethane clear over top).

So my question to you is...what do you mean by "will it be fine"? My first thought is no...it's a hunting truck...it shouldn't be shiny...if you want it flat...use a matte clear...but again...it's a hunting truck, the added protection you might get may not be worth the expense, time and effort after going through a few bushes...again...it's a hunting truck, it will get scratches and rubbed and dinged and dented.

Also, you asked "how long should I let it cure", let what cure, the drab acrylic enamel. the rustoleum for the leaves or what ever clear you put over top?

In my opinion, seeing that it's a hunting truck...paint your leaves on it...drive it till the wheels fall off and enjoy your hunting trips...not worrying about messing up your clear coated camo finish.

Ray
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Cuz I wash it often cuz if dirt and blood n stuff from hunting don't want my hard work washing off

Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

If your vehicle was prepped properly before it was painted in Acrylic Enamel. it won't wash off. If the Acrylic Enamel had hardner (catalyst) added to it, dirt, blood and washing it won't make it fall off. If hardner wasn't added to the Acrylic Enamel that's on your truck and you apply a coat of Urethane Clear coat, the solvents, which are aggressive, in the Clear could cause the Acrylic Enamel to wrinkle and then it would fall off.

The hardner that's added to automotive paint is there to toughen up the paint, without hardner, the paint will not be as durable, scuff resistant and not as agreeable to being top coated with any solvent based automotive paint product...other than a non catalyzed paint with solvents or reducers that are mild.

You can try clearing the truck, it may work...it may not...from my experience, all I'm saying is that there is a chance that you will have a reaction fresh clear over Acrylic Enamel, especially if the Acrylic Enamel hadn't been catalyzed and one of the biggest PITA's is apply paint over an uncatalyzed substrate and having it wrinkle...that means starting over from scratch, taking the existing paint off, building up your substrate with primers and then repainting it.

I hope this explains the situation, if you need more clarification, I can try and explain further.

Ray
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
if you want to use a clear then use an acrilic enamel clear.mabee a low sheen clear...(semi gloss)

Tags
clear, coat, paint, paint job

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in