Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

update on Gas Monkey Garage scandal

2M views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
Just an update on the Gas Monkey Garage scandal.

For those of you who have not been kept up to date, please read this discussion thoroughly: Gas Monkey Garage scandal. Please take the time to read the entire discussion.

Furthermore, please take the time to read this discussion: In addition to Gas Monkey thread. In that discussion, certain possible ties between Dodgy Monkey Media and a potentially horrible situation on a children's site are being investigated. I should repeat, as I have many times before: the information we have does not constitute proof. Nevertheless, it is extremely disturbing. I have sent emails to multiple email addresses at Coker Tire to request assistance in investigating this situation. So far, no reply.

Be on the lookout for a user named "starcommander". Through his email address, and through communication with him, I can see that he works at Gas Monkey Garage. While he has not yet made any posts on the board, I have heard that he has been sending PMs to people, apparently looking for information.

I just got off the phone with SEMA. They are well aware of this situation. They tried some basic stall tactics. Voicemail, promises to call back, etc. They wanted to take my personal phone number down. I refused to give it to them, in light of the public remarks made about my personal privacy and safety by Coker Tire, when they thought they could hide behind an anonymous username.

SEMA has referred me to their public relations company. Once again, they tried to get me to hand over my personal information, and stall for time. I told them, quite simply, that all stall tactics will be used to their disadvantage. I will email SEMA member companies about this scandal until we receive a mature and appropriate communication from them. They promised me that I could call back within 50 minutes, and they would speak to me personally. That's 19 minutes from now.

I expect we shall hear some sort of official statement on SEMA's behalf in the near future.

Once again, thanks to all who have supported us, and thanks for having the guts to stick up for your culture.

See less See more
#4 ·
I just got off the phone with Dan McCue, of McCue-Freeman, the public relations company that SEMA referred me to.

Dan was the first person I've encountered throughout this entire situation to treat me, and our website, with respect. He listened very carefully while I went over the details of this entire situation.

He said that he will investigate this matter, and that I can call him back tomorrow after 2 PM, and he'll have more information for me.

#7 ·
I just got off the phone with Dan McCue of McCue/Freeman, SEMA's public relations company. Once again, I should add that Dan is being extremely cautious, and very respectful. However, it should be noted that he did indeed seem to be nervous. I had sent him a detailed email with numerous links to various parts of this scandal. He indicated that he had reviewed the situation, but he could not confirm that he had examined any specific link or discussion. Also, he wanted very much to discuss the weather, and how much he likes Colorado, the state in which I live. Additionally, he referred to me as "my friend".

He had an "official" statement from SEMA: a single sentence. I was very sure to confirm the exact words with him. Here's the exact text of the statement, communicated to us by SEMA, through their public relations company:

SEMA has no plan for a car giveaway at the SEMA show.
Such a statement could mean many, many things. Note the use of the phrase "no plan", and the ambiguity of the phrase "at the SEMA show".

Now, recall the reference to this in the video. Between the 3:11 and 3:17 mark of the original video, immediately following one of Richard's lovely pig-snorts, we hear the following exact statement:

We're givin' away a car...for FREE! We're givin' the car away at SEMA. It's where you wanna go. Be there.
In considering SEMA's statement to us, via their public relations company, my interpretation is that this is an indication that SEMA will not be supporting Gas Monkey Garage's "giveaway" at the SEMA show. Thus, they appear to be intentionally distancing themselves from Gas Monkey Garage. We shall see.

I will be requesting additional communication from SEMA, as there are still many unresolved matters. Nevertheless, a clear victory for us. One of many, and certainly not the last.

Congratulations hotrodders :). We have now been successful in getting the video removed from the web, and in receiving a communication from SEMA that appears to indicate their desire to discontinue their association with Gas Monkey Garage.

And still, we await a public and genuine apology from Richard Rawlings and Gas Monkey Garage.

Next stop: Discovery Channel.

#8 ·
I bet you feel really stupid don't you? Hahaha enjoy gas monkey garage every mon a ten oh and check out the boys on leno. Pretty slandourous type stuff u are doing here not very hotrodderish. More like tiny penis pissing contest. U actually called places and attemtped to shut his work down? These guys if any of you have met them are really nice guys and love cars... and money like we all do. **** save the bull**** fer yer momma. I really can't wrap my head around why u would think its ok to do what u did. Social networking is what they did and u turned it into some bull****.

#9 ·
You're allowed your opinion, just like anyone else. If you can't "wrap" your head around why everything went down they way it did shows me you're really no smarter than they were at the time. Nice guys? Using a web site to promote their TV show was wrong. We do have guidelines, they are strictly enforced. By canceling these self promoting "nice guys", with their talk of being the anti-Christ of the hot rodding world TLC showed they do have more going on than just making a buck by exploiting people's dreams of fame and easy money. Gimme a break! You really should read through everything went down before you pass judgement this way. Also, read our guidelines, the profanity filter is there fro a reason, your derogatory remarks aren't allowed and you will be here for a very short time if you continue with the wise guy remarks. A true sign of intelligence is expressing one's self without resorting to language such as yours, you have no credibility when you rant like you do.

#10 ·
BeefRave ;;;;;; where have you been the past 6 years,, this is a OLD and buried Thread,, long ago put to bed,,, This WAS a issue over 6 years ago,, and yes they are the same guys that are back trying to peddle their junk,,, with their "Fast and loud show" get over it,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

#11 ·
I watched part of an episode before I realized it was just another fantasy show.It was the part where Richard....I suppose Dick for short offered 'ol dude three grand on an eighty five hundred dollar asking price for a Lincoln. That's where the fantasy part comes into play, 'cause anyone in the real world would have ignored him, or slapped the yellow off his teeth. I rarely watch TV anymore, "reality" shows make me wanna vomit.....

#12 ·
Boo hoo

Wow you must be a big baby
Just an update on the Gas Monkey Garage scanda
For those of you who have not been kept up to date, please read this discussion thoroughly: Gas Monkey Garage scandal. Please take the time to read the entire discussion.

Furthermore, please take the time to read this discussion: In addition to Gas Monkey thread. In that discussion, certain possible ties between Dodgy Monkey Media and a potentially horrible situation on a children's site are being investigated. I should repeat, as I have many times before: the information we have does not constitute proof. Nevertheless, it is extremely disturbing. I have sent emails to multiple email addresses at Coker Tire to request assistance in investigating this situation. So far, no reply.

Be on the lookout for a user named "starcommander". Through his email address, and through communication with him, I can see that he works at Gas Monkey Garage. While he has not yet made any posts on the board, I have heard that he has been sending PMs to people, apparently looking for information.

I just got off the phone with SEMA. They are well aware of this situation. They tried some basic stall tactics. Voicemail, promises to call back, etc. They wanted to take my personal phone number down. I refused to give it to them, in light of the public remarks made about my personal privacy and safety by Coker Tire, when they thought they could hide behind an anonymous username.

SEMA has referred me to their public relations company. Once again, they tried to get me to hand over my personal information, and stall for time. I told them, quite simply, that all stall tactics will be used to their disadvantage. I will email SEMA member companies about this scandal until we receive a mature and appropriate communication from them. They promised me that I could call back within 50 minutes, and they would speak to me personally. That's 19 minutes from now.

I expect we shall hear some sort of official statement on SEMA's behalf in the near future.

Once again, thanks to all who have supported us, and thanks for having the guts to stick up for your culture.

#13 ·
Thank you. The more responses we get to this thread, the sooner it turns up on Google. And I would think that's how you found us. Obviously you didn't read the entire threads or you might not be such a fan.

#16 ·
The way i view these new members and their one post comments on the Gas Monkey Geerage... they dont understand the situation.

Rawlins and his furry side kick were not the main actors in the original online scandal. These guys were after a paycheck in my view

It was all the ''suits'' that were attempting to hide behind all the little people. It was people like Coker tossing out dirty comments while thinking he could not be ''found out'' while online.

Jon proved these "suits" wrong , very wrong. :pimp:

#17 ·
I actually tried to watch it the other night......got about 5 min. into it and had enough. The "star" is a clown and so full of himself, same ol' my chit don't stink kinda folks. I met Coddington a LONG time ago when he had his home shop ('78 maybe)....nice guy then but couldn't stand his show. Same with all the others that are scripted by know nothing producers that want to make soap opera's out of them. The new Overhaulin is better now that they have eliminated those stupid prank calls.

#18 ·
The TV producers or whom ever , all seem to add-in, create, make up drama.. It ruins the shows for me. I've watched a few of Rawlin's latest TV show. Not for me. Rawlins unkept furry side kick , looks like he has a small animal strapped to his face

There is a show called CarFellas ( purty sure that is the name) ... absolute waste of time, effort, oxygen ... in my opinion.

American Restoration... producers have ruined the show. Very little actual restoration work is shown now. Item comes in, restored item is revealed at the end. Added drama crap like Cowboy's sandmitch is taken from the fridge or the ''big boobs'' gal wants "more to do" with the shop now that she and Rick are married.

I have not seen much about the ''new'' OverHaulin

#21 ·
Funny

"Overfoosin". I love it.
I can't stand Foose. That dude is so full of himself. He thinks he's God's gift to the automotive world. He can draw good, i'll give him that much.
Anyone that puts 20" wheels on a 1st gen Camaro needs to be beat with a stick. Foose is a publicity-whore.

GAS MONKEY - stupid show.
I only watched it to see SUE. That lady cracked me up. Rest of the show was silly. Those dudes would build a car, send it to auction, only to lose their A$$es on it. Made me laugh.

Jesse's new show is pretty good. He rags on people, but it looks like him and Senior get along now. ( Like it matters )
I am looking forward to the new biker build-off. Jesse better win this time. No more clown bikes!
:cool:

#23 ·
Most of these TV shows are nothing more than stupid drama and product advertisements.
The worst ones are the shows where they pretend to start a job, and then the camera switches over
to a table with products on it, and the show host(s) talk for 10 minutes about the products on the table. You never get to see any projects finished. The show ends before anything is done.
The whole show is just a COMMERCIAL. ( Like an "info-mercial". )
Time to turn off the zombie-box and do something constructive!
Hehehehe.

#27 ·
I am nothing to do with anyone else who has posted here from any country. I do however enjoy building cars and kicking back with like minded others. It is my opinion there are too few car enthusiasts of all sorts in the world when lined up against the ever growing, ever more vocal, fact and moral deficicient fake green energy crowd...

So, whenever I see different groups within our wide, varied and usually diverse 'family' slug it out with each other with extreme bitterness it makes me sad :evil:. Some of the comments in this thread made me despair. Fight those who threaten your hobby, way of life, family or business, not those who do the same thing, but differently... Sermon over. Back to the garage...:(:mad::confused:

#28 ·
With the thousands of automotive threads so far I just can´t figure out how this site can be called
offensive.
I find it offensive that these t*a*s dump on us with their criticism before even introducing themselves or contributing to the site in general.
I´m pretty sure that the programme is not shown in the UK, well it was´nt back in May when I was there.
With the state the BBC is in at the moment they should turn their attentions there and get that solved, that´s a mountain of poop if ever there was one run on "public donation."

#31 ·
You judge our forum on one thread.
I liken your prescence to someone barging into a room and butting into a conversation.
Why did´nt you introduce yourself ?
At least tell us who you are and what you do.

Later saddos...

Oh ! I see your still here.......

#33 ·
Puzzled

I read all the forums on gas monkey, except the videos. I am a little puzzled. You sound horrified over what you discovered. Are they pedophiles? ponographers? i can't imagine what else could have gotten to you to the point that a video had to be removed, apologees made, and they should be banned from SEMA. What exactly is the crime you feel they committed?

#34 ·
I read all the forums on gas monkey, except the videos. I am a little puzzled. You sound horrified over what you discovered. Are they pedophiles? ponographers? i can't imagine what else could have gotten to you to the point that a video had to be removed, apologees made, and they should be banned from SEMA. What exactly is the crime you feel they committed?
And you are ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.