Value-Pro paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Value-Pro paint?

I have bought some a while ago in single stage enemel for my firewall and dash, and it seemed pretty decent even though I had a lousy air compressor, paint gun, and lack of any prevention to reduce water from running through the air lines.

edit: this is the site I will be buying from if I get it
http://www.autobodysupply.net/store/...4-360DCDA44EE8
But that car is gone before I could really see how it lasted. Well, I am thinking about using there bb/cc if my wife wants a teal/aqua color. I am going to price the omni paint at a local place and compare.

I would consider SPI if they had more of a color selection, not to mention that this might end up cheaper with the value-pro since I am assuming the prices on SPI site is for the distributors rather than the end user.

This will be a cheaper paint job for my wifes 74 dart. Even a spray bomb paint would be better than what is on there, but would like it to at least turn out nice for $500 in just paint materials, excluding sandpaper, wax/grease remover, masking paper, ect.

thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,877 Times in 4,380 Posts
Well, if you are after the Teal color then it doesn't matter if the paint is free if they don't have it.

There are LOTS of options, Shopline/OMNI at your PPG jobber, NASON at Dupont, Cross/FIRE at NAPA auto parts, Diminsion at Sherwin Williams, Valspar, Matrix, we could go on and on. There are a ton of companies out there that would have your teal color in a "value line" less expenisve paint.

Do you have any jobbers near you? Have you looked in the phone book under "Automotive paint and supplies" or walked into a neighborhood body shop and asked them where they buy their supplies?

Do so, there may be a place near by where you can go and look at products, talk to people and get an idea of what line to use.

Brian
Old 12-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

The published prices from BakerPBE are the end user shop prices..So for the epoxy primer it runs about 165 for a gallon unit..actually that is 2 gallons sprayable material so figure about (Oops I misquoted it is 64.62 gallon) for mixed ready to spray material..

Univesal clear which is what I use is 80$ gallon and the activators are 26.15 per quart so you recieve 2 gallons sprayable for about 184.60..

Other prices are similar..

Shipping depends on where you live and how much one orders..

Base coats can be whatever your favorite deal is..Baker stocks HOK and Sem and most any color one wants can be obtained in BC/CC using those products..or you can use something from PPG or Dupont for base color if one chooses..

Just how much to paint a particular car depends on what one starts with..lot of them have lots of dents and dings which take more material in the blocking and dent removal dept and how the individual shoots his paint and of course what kind of result one is trying to get..So that one is hard to gauge unless the painter/body guy has it in front of him..

Just some ideas..

Sam

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 12-30-2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Looked at the wrong place in my price sheet

Old 12-30-2006, 12:02 PM

Car will be a color change, rust free, but has some small dents and dings, will paint the jambs, underside of hood, but not engine bay, that will be painted black later, and a black bumble bee stripe, no need to paint the roof as a new vinyl top will be put on.

I just need to get my ducks in a row so to speak, as I can not spray until late spring, too cold and don't want to push the other cars out of the garage during winter to heat the garage and spray.

Leading colors are a bright white, or a solid teal as I am a noob DIY painter and don't think metallic would be a good choice.

Thanks for the help so far, will post more questions about lvlp guns and painting stripes, ect in the next month as I need all the help I can get.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in