Vehicle positioning jacks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2018, 07:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vehicle positioning jacks

I've got way too many cars! I could make more room inside my garage if I could just scoot them over a few feet.

I was thinking about buying some of these vehicle positioning jacks:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...SABEgL3-PD_BwE

Dumb question but do you need four of these or would two allow you to point the nose of the car in a certain direction then lift the rear end up and scoot it over a few feet?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 09:07 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

I usually go to the website and scroll down to the Customers Reviews. I look at the worst ones first. Follow that up by reading a few of the good ones. Use the reviews as a guide and take them with a grain of salt.

454 RATTLER
Old 10-20-2018, 09:22 AM

They also have a set that you use your jack to install (come as a pair and a little cheaper), you can use a pair to move the front and then the rear. But it is difficult to do with just one pair.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ies-67338.html

Old 10-21-2018, 06:44 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.

Back in my young and healthy days, I used to (just) use a floor jack and move one end at a time.

Russ
Old 10-21-2018, 11:45 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Back in my young and healthy days, I used to (just) use a floor jack and move one end at a time.

Russ
this. many times
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
this. many times
Add a few more for me.

I use furniture dollies but our race cars are less than 2300lbs.

The second link up there works well too but watch the quality of the castors and zip ties and pebbles.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Seems all the reviews on the Harbor Freight dollies are good so I may just go with that.

But nobody answered my question if I could get by with just two of these dollies on the rear of the car just to move the tail end sideways a few feet.

I didn't know if the front wheels being on the ground would cause too much resistance to allow the rear end to be moved around.

I don't need to turn a car 360 degrees or move it from one end of my garage to the other. I just need to get it closer to the wall.

I have a dedicated spot for My 68 Ford (because it's so big). When I park it in the corner of my garage due to it's length, the car is basically pointing at 45 degree angle. It would be nice if I could scoot the tail end toward the wall another few feet to gain some more room. I can park my Fiat Spider and my Trabant in the same spot almost straight but those cars are much shorter and narrower.

Now if my Fairlane had 4 wheel steering like those Honda Preludes and GM pickup trucks, I might be able to get closer to the wall but can't do to the turning radius.

This system was installed on Preludes in 1989 I think and GM advertised it with their pickup trucks about 10 years ago. For some reason it didn't catch on with the Preludes but not sure about the pickup trucks.

My guess is it added cost to the vehicle that people were just not willing to pay for.

I'd love to have a system like this on my 1998 Chevy full size van. That thing has the worst turning radius and is awful to park.

I usually park away from people and all the way forward into a spot so I don't have to back out in case I get cockblocked by two other cars next to me.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:35 PM

Read post #3
Old 10-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post

Russ
There's your answer, with x2's after, he's just using a floor jack under the differential instead of wheel dollies. With either you could push it around all day long half at a time.

Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Moved many cars from the lot to the stall with the three ton under the front and two guys pushing at the back. If you are in a shop and want finite movement yes you need 4 or move front and then back, back and forth, like previously stated.

Also as mentioned get some with good casters. Some get stuck running over anything bigger than a flea.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 sedan View Post
They also have a set that you use your jack to install (come as a pair and a little cheaper), you can use a pair to move the front and then the rear. But it is difficult to do with just one pair.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ies-67338.html
Yep, go with these. The ones you posted, they SUCK. I have the real ones at work, super high quality, about a thousand dollars is what we paid for them. I have always found them to SUCK. They have broken, they are a beach to make work. Just get the basic ones and lift the thing and set it on them and done deal.

Brian
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Well I didn't read your post but I ended up buying the ones from Harbor Freight. BTW, why do you say they suck? Is the ratcheting system bad about breaking?

I really have to use my entire body weight (155 lbs) into jacking them up. Moving the car with just two under the rear tires also requires some muscle as well. I have not gotten around to installing the wheels on the other two to see if this makes it any easier.

Of course trying to move a 3000+ lb car is not easy anyway. Maybe some of my smaller cars I have that weigh 1300 to 2600 lbs might be easier.

Here's some photos:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12B...FAoPMBW6HVKpPu

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B_...6czR8CufGFxFRu

Actually I like these ratcheting type versus the hydraulic ones . I'm sure the hydraulic types are probably easier to operate but I've had too fail hydraulic floor jacks crap out from where the seals have went bad.

We have a bearing press at work that has the same ratcheting system as this wheel lifts and they have been using that thing for over 25 years.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:45 PM

My neighbor has a set of 4 and moves his vehicles around with them all the time. He claims they are just like the expensive ones. I'm sure they are built with inferior materials, but they work well. Don't expect these to lift a heavy pick up truck, but they work very well for everyday hot rods and muscle cars.

Keith
Old 10-23-2018, 02:23 PM

This thread maybe turning into cheap/economically priced versus overpriced tools.

I know we all should buy American made tools instead of stuff from China but I'm sure most of us have quite a bit of cheap tools in our toolbox. Especially stuff we don't use everyday.

But I can't say I have ever bought anything from Harbor Freight that I would say was junk or inferior.

Their stuff may not hold up to someone who runs a business. Just like my Husquarna lawn tractor has done well for the past 9 years with the exception of having to weld the deck hanger and two anti-scalping wheels. But that's from where I've hit tree roots and squeezing a 48" deck through a 48" door in my yardbarn hitting the walls. Plus my yard is rough as hell.

I doubt if I owned a mowing business where I was using this mower every day instead of 4 hours every 2 weeks, I would have replaced it by now. I can't justify spending $10,000 on a SKAG just to mow my yard once every 2 weeks.

Just like if your run a garage, you afford to buy top quality tools, you can always pass it onto the customer.

20 to 25 years ago I needed a female 5/16" (or 8 mm) square head socket to remove an 8 mm square male plug oil filler on the steering box on my Fiat Spider.

I tried an 8 point 5/16" socket but it kept slipping. Not enough clearance to get a pair of vice grips down there. The only way is to use a foot long extension and a socket to get to it.

I used to buy allot of my tools from Sears before they closed their store here in Kingsport and will probably eventually close all of them within the next couple of years since they filed for bankruptcy the other day. They didn't have one.

This was before you could find anything on the internet.

I went by this local tool store. He couldn't get me one but said Snap-On made them. He gave me the guy's number.

So I called the guy and he said, "Yeah meet me at such and such on this day and this time and I'll have it". So I show up where he said to meet him. There was a swarm of people at his truck. I had to wait about an hour before he got to me. What a pain. This one socket $9.00 in the mid 1990s!

I'm sure their tools are good and all but I think they are overpriced for the do it yourself-er.

Why are their tools so expensive? What makes them better than the cheap stuff? I've never broken a Chinese wrench even when hitting on it with a hammer.

Does Snap-On workers make $30 an hour, fully paid no deductible health insurance, 6 weeks vacation, upper management top heavy? They don't advertise.

Not to go off on a tangent or anything.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in