Vendor discounts (or not) during COVID-19 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2020, 06:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vendor discounts (or not) during COVID-19

During the previous economic downturns, Summit and Jegs offered fairly substantial discounts. I recall as much as $20 on a >$100 purchase from Summit which was just too good to pass up. Can't remember what Jeg's offered during those times, but it was something similar, possibly a flat rate percentage discount depending on order size.

However, during this downturn my inbox is full of offers from Jeg's, but they are really lame. For example, $20 on $599 and $30 on $799, both of which are just over 3%. But they don't help my typical order of less than $150.
There is also $100 on $1599, which may be significant if you're in the market for a pair of heads, but still it's only 6%.

Haven't seen any discounts at Summit, but I did get tired of receiving at least one e-mail a day from them, so I unsubscribed a few months ago. I put some items in my Summit cart a few days ago, and I'm getting e-mails saying I left something in my cart, but with no offers of a discount.

Times are tough, and much worse for many of us than the past couple downturns, but unfortunately the big vendors haven't stepped up this time. I am getting 10% discount offers from a truck parts vendor, but their normal prices are typically 10% higher than their competitors, so what's the point?

Got any discount deals to tell us about?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

In this particular situation, most businesses are getting hurt worse than we private citizens... and many mayors stood by and let thousands of small family businesses just get destroyed... and, of course, this also hurts the insurance companies for any of it covered... also, many businesses continued to pay some of their workers despite slow or no sales because this was supposed to be over by May 1st... so most businesses are in no position to offer discounts, they're already hurting like never before... and thousands won't ever re-open... Summit and Jegs prolly aren't even supposed to be open...
Old 08-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,158 Posts
Beats me; back after the 2008 recession the prices bottomed out of everything. This time around not so much. Maybe with the administration’s stance that this much ado about nothing, “it all be over soon folks”, sounds like your captain speaking setting up front in nose diving airliner.

I may be ahead of the curve, but my spending trend is curving downward. While I’m not in a position of loosing the garage over my tools, even I have to take a step back and consider what are the realities of no national plan beyond ‘it’ll all be over soon folks‘.

What money I am spending is focusing more on guns and ammo than car, truck, or motorcycle parts, and I’m not a big gun guy.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
Bob37pont (08-02-2020)

Old 08-01-2020, 08:05 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Summit and Jegs are over priced even with discounts.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post
Summit and Jegs are over priced even with discounts.
You must not remember the prices in all the other mailorder speed houses that used to be around...

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in