Vintage planishing hammer on ebay, and other tools. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,100 Times in 4,477 Posts
Vintage planishing hammer on ebay, and other tools.

This is the same as one of mine, classic quality! He has a bunch of other cool dollies and hammers. he is over priced but damn there are a few very interesting dollies.

Vintage Chicago Pneumatic Planishing Auto Body Hammer Fender Iron Tool Ford | eBay

Here is a link to all his tools, there are some treasures here guys!

griffintool | eBay

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 10:09 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

most times when sellers use the word vintage they plan on overcharging for old junk. That planisher is cool though.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,512 Times in 4,275 Posts
He has some really cool dollies and hammers o Ebay but as you say they are way over priced. The planishing hammer, I would love to have as well as a couple of spoons he has listed.

John

Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 AM

I love that S curved dolly!

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 10:47 AM
put up or shut up

I'd rather hunt for them at a swap meet than pay that guy the prices he's asking for. I've seen those drip rail pliers for $5 bucks at the swap meet. He's asking for $175. What a joke. Nice find though to see some vintage tools. Wouldn't catch me buying any at that price though.

Last edited by tech69; 03-09-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 AM

I have gotten a number of "vintage" dollies and hammers off eBay for very decent prices, cheaper than a new quality one anyway. My planishing hammers I lucked out on, got them for next to nothing.....and nothing.

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 AM
put up or shut up

after I got basic dollies and spoons there hasn't been a need for me to go seek out more crap and unless I see there's a clear deal or need I just won't bother. I'd rather get a maple slapper and have done fine with your basic dollies. That's what's awesome about going to the swap meet. You can't determine what you'll find but you bet you'll get a great deal on it, especially for old dollies nobody cares about. That planishing hammer is cool though but there's already a few bids on it and don't think a deal will be had for it. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for that thing. When I see the word "vintage" I'm instantly turned off cause I know the guy cares to much about the history of the tool and over charges. Personally I'd rather buy a cheap china made tool that works better and is cheaper. That's just me though.

Last edited by tech69; 03-09-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM
put up or shut up

the best deals I've seen are from retiring body men who post ads on Craigslist. I've seen a bulls eye pick go for $40. That was a steal.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
after I got basic dollies and spoons there hasn't been a need for me to go seek out more crap and unless I see there's a clear deal or need I just won't bother. I'd rather get a maple slapper and have done fine with your basic dollies. That's what's awesome about going to the swap meet. You can't determine what you'll find but you bet you'll get a great deal on it, especially for old dollies nobody cares about. That planishing hammer is cool though but there's already a few bids on it and don't think a deal will be had for it. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for that thing. When I see the word "vintage" I'm instantly turned off cause I know the guy cares to much about the history of the tool and over charges. Personally I'd rather buy a cheap china made tool that works better and is cheaper. That's just me though.
Yeah the dollies are like all tools, you buy a dozen of each and use two of them 99.99% of the time while the others sit in the box. I have a couple of very odd ones I have picked up over the years and rarely use them. But about every time it's an Ahhh Haaa moment and I go and grab that oddball and it works perfect!

But you can usually find a way to get the job one way or another.

I wonder about the new planishings and if they are better or not, they very well could be. The ones I see use an air chisel as the hammer. They have a nice foot operated air valve to power it. Or the smaller ones you just trigger the air chisel as you would using it as an air chisel.

The old versions use the handle either foot operated or by hand. It has a much larger opening between the dies to fit it over the metal then you pull down on the handle and it "clamps" the metal in place, then by pulling the handle down further it then puts the air to the hammer for it to plannish. I honestly don't know which way is better being I have very little experience right off the bat so I don't know crap about the tool. But I have also never even used the new version so I don't know which way is better. I have one like this.

So you can bring it up to your work like on the roof of my truck, it works damn neat. But I really want the floor mounted one if I start fabbing stuff.

HOLY CRAP! I was looking for a photo of an Planishing hammer and came up with this one! $3200!!!
ProLine 06007 Planishing Hammer, Cast Aluminum Yoke, Metal Shaping

Wild, the first one I got is a real vintage from the forties because it's the original Michigan Pneumatic where as they sold out to Chicago Pneumatic. I got that one at a body shop that was closing.

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM
put up or shut up

harbor freight's are $129. I'll stick with that one. I don't think I'll be working on bugattis anytime soon if ever.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Like I said, the new version may even be better, I don't know. I just wonder what the difference is using that handle?

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 PM

Here is an article I'll read tonigh, maybe it will have some insight. Planishing Hammers - Street Rodder Magazine

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM
put up or shut up

Planishing Hammer Kit

Brand new and not rusty.

they also make linear stretch dies for HF planishing hammers and all kinds of dies that will fit. I don't metal shape every day so I don't think I'd need anything more special than my $129 HF planisher. I don't think a $1000 planisher is going to make my work any better.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM

True

Brian
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 AM
put up or shut up

I think the dolly deals are always something to look for though. I'm looking for anvil dollies and occasionally you'll see them for very cheap.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in