WATCH OUT buying cheap tools! - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

well it does sound like he'll drive to the earth's end to buy Made in The USA. I just hope he's done with his Christmas shopping before the New year.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
wow, those are some class 5 mileage claims, 2.6 million miles on 6 vehicles

yup drove delivery's for years.. miles ad up quick when you are in vehicle for 8+hours a day 6 days a week.. and can't afford them to be out of service very long.. always had a back up. just in case.
used my 71 elcamino for a few days once when the 89 grand marks emission tube was on back order (runs from back of heads to the air system)

Last edited by gearheadslife; 12-04-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
well it does sound like he'll drive to the earth's end to buy Made in The USA. I just hope he's done with his Christmas shopping before the New year.
x-mas is easy. most of the family want restaurant gift cards.. so..
not all that hard. wife is making diapers for the nieces newborns..
yes cloth ones..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (12-04-2013)

Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

we're frugal, we tried the cloth diaper thing for while. My wife told me she heard a good way to use them is to wash them in the toilet and then throw them in a washer. They are good for diaper rashes though...but so is water.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
we're frugal, we tried the cloth diaper thing for while. My wife told me she heard a good way to use them is to wash them in the toilet and then throw them in a washer. They are good for diaper rashes though...but so is water.
the throw away ones cost to much. good for travel'n, but the cloth ones are the best for the hurting. and her nieces kids dads seem to be the a-h type that don't help at all with funds/etc.. and they are try'n to go it without uncle sams help.. other than the courts and looking for child support.. and we'll help them anyway we can, as they are going the extra mile to not even up on welfare..
wife makes them out of supersoft cotton and uses silk thread.. of sometype.. at least it feels like silk.. so it's soft on the babys skin.. no reports of rash problems.. from her friend she's made them for. other than the normal baby rashes every once and a while.. wifes friends found the downy/etc was the biggest cause.. and couldn't use it on the load before the diepers. as that little bit left over was just enough....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Just wondering how this got from cheap tools to diapers?......
NEW INTERIORS (12-12-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Just wondering how this got from cheap tools to diapers?......
..... sounds to me like a well known phenomenom found on most websites/forums called a Hijack and something that I would never (EVER) do**

**(until I got a chance, that is)
NEW INTERIORS (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I was thinking the same thing, my God, do these cars ever get parked? They would have to be running 24 hours a day!

Brian
Well, here is one for you. My last domestic car I owned, was a 1995 Chevy Z28 Camaro, that I bought brand new at the Chevy dealer I worked at, as a Service Dispatcher. Terrific car. I had 106,000 miles on it when I decided to sell it, as I changed jobs and went to work for a Cadillac / Toyota dealer. in 2004 (still had the Z) went to work for a company that gave me a company car (Ford Taurus). I also had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma, 4wd, V6 pickup (that I still have today), that I bought new. Currently, it has 182,000 miles on it. I always do my own maintenance but, last month, my wife and I went to Florida and I was running out of time to do the oil change, etc, myself. I took it to the oldest Toyota, here in St. Louis, and got the oil changed and coolant system flushed. They checked the whole vehicle over and, as any dealer would do, recommended a brake fluid change, injector cleaning and rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. Obviously, I declined that work. Then about 5 minutes later, the service advisor came and told me I had rust on my frame. I said I knew that and also that some years ago, Toyota sent me a recall notice that certain vin ranges had bad frames. Mine, at that time, did not fall in the category. He said, now it did. Long story short. Toyota replaced my frame, complete with rear springs, lower control arms, all brake lines, etc. They even put me in a new Toyota Venza for three weeks so I could keep my plans on going to Florida. I put over 3,000 miles on that car and all I had to do was pay for gas. Toyota stepped to the plate and took car of a customer.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square View Post
Well, here is one for you. My last domestic car I owned, was a 1995 Chevy Z28 Camaro, that I bought brand new at the Chevy dealer I worked at, as a Service Dispatcher. Terrific car. I had 106,000 miles on it when I decided to sell it, as I changed jobs and went to work for a Cadillac / Toyota dealer. in 2004 (still had the Z) went to work for a company that gave me a company car (Ford Taurus). I also had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma, 4wd, V6 pickup (that I still have today), that I bought new. Currently, it has 182,000 miles on it. I always do my own maintenance but, last month, my wife and I went to Florida and I was running out of time to do the oil change, etc, myself. I took it to the oldest Toyota, here in St. Louis, and got the oil changed and coolant system flushed. They checked the whole vehicle over and, as any dealer would do, recommended a brake fluid change, injector cleaning and rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. Obviously, I declined that work. Then about 5 minutes later, the service advisor came and told me I had rust on my frame. I said I knew that and also that some years ago, Toyota sent me a recall notice that certain vin ranges had bad frames. Mine, at that time, did not fall in the category. He said, now it did. Long story short. Toyota replaced my frame, complete with rear springs, lower control arms, all brake lines, etc. They even put me in a new Toyota Venza for three weeks so I could keep my plans on going to Florida. I put over 3,000 miles on that car and all I had to do was pay for gas. Toyota stepped to the plate and took car of a customer.
or could've got you killed.. replacing the frame is cheaper than lawsuits..

up here all trucks rust/rot if not taken care of.. but when they rot away down south.. there is issues.. glad they fixed it.. but after years of watching them fold up and beds rot off them in under 4-5 years... I'll pass..
I've made a point to every spring to clean the frames really good and sand and paint any rust spots.. on frames and floors.. rockers and cab corners..
worth the day it takes..
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM

I totally understand what you are saying. My point was, do you think any of the Big 3 would have done the same? No, I am not bashing American automobile manufactures, by no means, but I just don't think they would have done it. During my time with Cadillac ( as a matter of fact, I worked for a Cadillac/Pontiac/Sterling/Suzuki) dealership, prior to my time of working at a Chevy dealership, and I watched as the good 'ol 4100 Caddy engine, almost shut Cadillac down. We used to call it the 4100 tuneup. Customers would say what did that include and we would tell them, new crankshaft bearings and, in some cases, a camshaft. GM knew this engine was junk but the only way they addressed the problem was if a customer complained. Many Caddy drivers, at that time, were old folks, like I am now, and didn't even know hat the symptoms were.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square View Post
I totally understand what you are saying. My point was, do you think any of the Big 3 would have done the same? No, I am not bashing American automobile manufactures, by no means, but I just don't think they would have done it. During my time with Cadillac ( as a matter of fact, I worked for a Cadillac/Pontiac/Sterling/Suzuki) dealership, prior to my time of working at a Chevy dealership, and I watched as the good 'ol 4100 Caddy engine, almost shut Cadillac down. We used to call it the 4100 tuneup. Customers would say what did that include and we would tell them, new crankshaft bearings and, in some cases, a camshaft. GM knew this engine was junk but the only way they addressed the problem was if a customer complained. Many Caddy drivers, at that time, were old folks, like I am now, and didn't even know hat the symptoms were.
they have, you remember all the fords getting new paint jobs?
chevy not all that long ago did the same with some of the 1500 frames..
they didn't do much with the side tank thing, but that was because nbc lied and used fireworks to make the trucks go boom in that story on the 73-87 trucks..
I've never had issues with my cars/trucks as far as them fixing stuff even out of warranty.. but I always have records of work done from day one. and that helps.. many don't do anything but oil changes every 15k and then wonder why the vehicle is falling apart in 50k
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 AM

I hear ya. I used to see it all the time working in the service departments of dealers. All I know is, my truck has a new undercarriage and I'm ready to put another 182,000 on it, hopefully. You are so correct in saying maintenance is everything, no matter what type of vehicle you have. I used to always preach that to my customers. remember the old commercial, "You can pay me now, or pay me later"?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in