Welding... :).. Nice pics - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,938 Times in 4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I remember when I got my first set of torches (at 15 yrs old, back in the 70's), I felt like there was nothing I couldnt do ...I ran my tanks out every week,cutting and welding everything in sight.I still have them around but havent used them in at least three years ,its been around 7yrs since I last filled them.
Good muffler shops stillgas weld ...I had a small 4 bay shop behind a muffler shop and learnd a lot about gas welding (it isnt easy)I ruined a lot of exhaust pipe...
Plasma cutting is much cheaper and makes a better cut ,It'll cost a lot more to get started but you'll love it...PLUS your closer to China and you might be able to get one cheaper than us.
BTW,I had no idea you guys built hotrods over there,I guess if it has wheels or moves ......someone, somewhere ,will want to make it move faster....I love these pics it really brings me back to when me and my Dad worked on cars together ...Other than eating its the only time we got along .....keep em coming....
Sometimes your posts make me feel like we were twins separated at birth! My mother bought me my first torch set up at 16 in 1974 or so, a Craftsmen, I still have it and used it every day in my shop for years! I must have used a thousand coat hangers for rod! When I first started buying real welding rod I thought I had really became a bad ars pro.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
OMG, the coat hangers ....lol I used all of ours up....Mom replaced them with plastic ones so I HAD to buy real ones ....I felt like superman ....

My first set was something I put together with bits and pieces from my friends shops that they had laying around that didnt work any more.
I swear I looked forward to stripping a nut and cutting it off with the torch.but my biggest and best thing I learned was how to get a rusted exhaust stud out when you break it...believe it or not I enjoyed getting them out out at one time.....not any more though.....but when I show a new helper how to do it and I see that look in his eyes I know hes just the kind of kid that'll go all the way...Or when sparks go down his shirt and he barely moves when cutting something ....thats how you can tell you found a good helper...I've had guys just about knock themselves out hitting their head on something ,jumping away from a hot spark,they're the ones that dont last long...I always start someone out by gas welding and cutting before they can use the mig or plasma so they know how hard it CAN be....
Gotta walk before you can run.... besides some of these new guys can keep you laughing all day,watching them work their butts off ....when I show them the easy way they always ask "why didnt you show me that before I wasted all that time?" I always say: this way you can appreciate what I'm telling you,Thats how I learned ...the hard way
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
BTW,I had no idea you guys built hotrods over there,I guess if it has wheels or moves ......someone, somewhere ,will want to make it move faster....I love these pics it really brings me back to when me and my Dad worked on cars together ...Other than eating its the only time we got along .....keep em coming....
Thank you. Its not a Hotrod that we are building. The Chevy 454 (Injected) has been put into a 1979 Jeep Cherokee. . We are still working on it. The whole buildup thread can be seen here
Thanks for the interest.
Ehsan

Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
OMG, the coat hangers ....lol I used all of ours up....Mom replaced them with plastic ones so I HAD to buy real ones ....I felt like superman ....

My first set was something I put together with bits and pieces from my friends shops that they had laying around that didnt work any more.
I swear I looked forward to stripping a nut and cutting it off with the torch.but my biggest and best thing I learned was how to get a rusted exhaust stud out when you break it...believe it or not I enjoyed getting them out out at one time.....not any more though.....but when I show a new helper how to do it and I see that look in his eyes I know hes just the kind of kid that'll go all the way...Or when sparks go down his shirt and he barely moves when cutting something ....thats how you can tell you found a good helper...I've had guys just about knock themselves out hitting their head on something ,jumping away from a hot spark,they're the ones that dont last long...I always start someone out by gas welding and cutting before they can use the mig or plasma so they know how hard it CAN be....
Gotta walk before you can run.... besides some of these new guys can keep you laughing all day,watching them work their butts off ....when I show them the easy way they always ask "why didnt you show me that before I wasted all that time?" I always say: this way you can appreciate what I'm telling you,Thats how I learned ...the hard way
Amazing... Do you have a vacancy for another helper? ..
Ehsan
Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,938 Times in 4,408 Posts
Quote:
: besides some of these new guys can keep you laughing all day,watching them work their butts off ....when I show them the easy way they always ask "why didnt you show me that before I wasted all that time?" I always say: this way you can appreciate what I'm telling you,Thats how I learned ...the hard way
Most bodymen today can't even set the torch up and get a flame!

On the removing of bolts. Do you do the heat and cool, heat and cool method?

Brian
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Sounds like a hot rod to me. to bad you didnt live a little closer Eshan...We'll have to shorten your name a little too ...how about Shawn or Shane ????? I few years ago I had a guy from S. africa come and work for a while he was a funny guy everything he said made us laugh ,it was more the way he misused words with his accent than anything else...and in the middle of summer we were all in shorts and tee shirts but he came in with long sleeve shirts and long pants....Crazy....

Hey Brian when I learned how to remove a rusted exhaust stud we heated only the cast to cherry red but not the stud we wiggled the stud with vise grips until it started to move a little being careful not to put to much stress on it ,with a little patience it always came right out without pulling manifold off...I got pretty good at it ...up in NY they rust solid in just a couple years so by the time it needs a muffler they're shot....You'd be surprised how many muffler shops cant do this....I learned a lot from that old timer "Mac" Mcgreggors muffler shop "R.I.P." One hellofa Scottsman...
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,015 Posts
Cool pictures.... I had them coat hanger days too.. Here's my first chop ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	46998  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM

I wish I had some of my old pics in moms 2 car garage...Those were the days.. I still wear flip flops ,shorts and a tee shirt when welding too...LOL..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in