What Budget paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What Budget paint?

Ok, so I tried to cut corners and dinked around with Valspar and Rustoleum on a fender I have, and I'm just not happy with the results I got. Surprise, right?

The issue is, last time I painted a car, I didn't know any better, I just went down and got some Evercoat primer and single stage paint from NAPA and went to town. You can get alot done when you don't know any better

But, now I have this flood of information on the web, and I don't know what to do anymore.

I do not want to spend 600 on supplies for this, hence the Rustoleum attempt. I just want it to be one color, and not let all the water in the world into the metal.

My idea has been some Evercoat Feathfill, and TCP resto shop single stage. But which one? Acrylic, Urethane? IDK the difference between them all, I just want it to look ok, it's happening in my driveway, it's not a show truck, just a summer driver.

This is the truck,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Decent quality paint from Summit. TCP Global. Acrylic enamel will get the job done. Urethane is better and can be color sanded and buffed. I have used these guys since the eighties..Catalog Always good service and paint products.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Decent quality paint from Summit. TCP Global. Acrylic enamel will get the job done. Urethane is better and can be color sanded and buffed. I have used these guys since the eighties..Catalog Always good service and paint products.
I've been looking there also, since I can get everything in a kit together, seems to take some of my guesswork out of it.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM

So if I go with an Acrylic Urethane, like TCP resto shop, then decide later I need a clear, can I shoot Urethane Clear over that? because they only give the clear option for the enamels.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:05 AM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 7,277 Times in 4,082 Posts
The reason you only see that option for enamel is because whether you clear over enamel or not, the same base color paint is used. Not so with urethane. It is fine to clear urethane later just like with enamel, but it wastes your money since hardener is needed for the base and clear if using single stage urethane. Normally an uncatalyzed base color is used with urethane clear.

Inexpensive paints often do not cover as well as advertised. Depending on the color chosen, a cheaper brand may actually cost more to use because so much more is needed. No matter what you spray, not having enough to finish is a disaster. Particularly if not using a local source.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
The reason you only see that option for enamel is because whether you clear over enamel or not, the same base color paint is used. Not so with urethane. It is fine to clear urethane later just like with enamel, but it wastes your money since hardener is needed for the base and clear if using single stage urethane. Normally an uncatalyzed base color is used with urethane clear.

Inexpensive paints often do not cover as well as advertised. Depending on the color chosen, a cheaper brand may actually cost more to use because so much more is needed. No matter what you spray, not having enough to finish is a disaster. Particularly if not using a local source.
Yeah, I've kind of come to the concolusion, that I only want to do this once, so I think I'll have my local guy's make me some BC/CC when it's time, my local NAPA has a bunch of brands I recognize from reading here, and, if I run out, I can go over there and get a quart or something in about ten minutes.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:24 PM

What color? That does make a difference.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 PM

It's going to be some shade of red. NAPA say's they can sell me a BC/CC for 300 bucks for a gallon of each.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

Get it prepped and take it to Maaco. This is all against my grain but, they do a good job and you can't buy the paint for the price...
Mark
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM

You could call the Eastwood company and see if they still have their basic starter paint kits available. I remember seeing an add in there Spring flier for a gallon of their urethane base coat and clear coat for like $250 with activators (5 spray-able quarts). I believe their paint is manufactured by Kirker. You also have to pick from their colors and they have probably 50 different ones. Kevin Tetz used it in has project called "Jaded" which can be seen on YouTube and that car looked great, especially considering the low cost of materials. Just my opinion on what I would do on a tight budget.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
Get it prepped and take it to Maaco. This is all against my grain but, they do a good job and you can't buy the paint for the price...
Mark
But I can buy paint for the price Maaco want's lol, alot of different singles stages for around 100 a gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB View Post
You could call the Eastwood company and see if they still have their basic starter paint kits available. I remember seeing an add in there Spring flier for a gallon of their urethane base coat and clear coat for like $250 with activators (5 spray-able quarts). I believe their paint is manufactured by Kirker. You also have to pick from their colors and they have probably 50 different ones. Kevin Tetz used it in has project called "Jaded" which can be seen on YouTube and that car looked great, especially considering the low cost of materials. Just my opinion on what I would do on a tight budget.
I thought of that, Kirker, or Eastwood, Summit, TCP all seem to be on par with one another price-wise. In both single stage and BC/CC.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 PM

It just depends on what you want and what you plan to do with the car. If doing it yourself is not important to you, then the quick and cheap MAACO / Earl Scheib deal may be "What makes the most sense". If you enjoy the challenge of paint it yourself then the Eastwood, Summit, Kirker paint systems are economical but keep in mind, the cost of paint is only part of the cost. Primer, sealer, wax and grease remover, sand paper in the various grits, rubbing compound, ect.... will easily cost as much as the paint and probably more. Just one roll of 120 grit 6" PSA sandpaper (100 count) cost $25. I just bought the materials for my current project and I believe I spent about $500 in materials without any primer, paint, or clear coat. $150 for sandpaper, $35 for wax and grease remover, $25 for painter tape, $60 for roll of masking paper, ect....

Add everything up and see what makes sense for "Your Project".
Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB View Post
It just depends on what you want and what you plan to do with the car. If doing it yourself is not important to you, then the quick and cheap MAACO / Earl Scheib deal may be "What makes the most sense". If you enjoy the challenge of paint it yourself then the Eastwood, Summit, Kirker paint systems are economical but keep in mind, the cost of paint is only part of the cost. Primer, sealer, wax and grease remover, sand paper in the various grits, rubbing compound, ect.... will easily cost as much as the paint and probably more. Just one roll of 120 grit 6" PSA sandpaper (100 count) cost $25. I just bought the materials for my current project and I believe I spent about $500 in materials without any primer, paint, or clear coat. $150 for sandpaper, $35 for wax and grease remover, $25 for painter tape, $60 for roll of masking paper, ect....

Add everything up and see what makes sense for "Your Project".

Well, this truck is practice for another truck I do care more about. So I want to do a good job, i want to learn, and any thing's I have left over, will be used later. But the added costs of things is definitely pushing back the time when i get the thing red lol.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
Mark
That's what I'd do too. Plus it'll look better a lot better than trying to paint it outside with the bugs ,dirt and everything else that'll go wrong it would be a waste of money AND time doing it like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in