What Carb for L31 ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What Carb for L31 ?

Hey Guys, before I spend around 400 dollars on a Carb and choose the wrong one I thought I'd ask for your advice first. Which exact Carb would you recommend? I have an L31 with a performer rpm intake and electric fuel pump that maxes out at 6.5. At this time I only plan on around 300 HP and may do a cam change down the road but nothing crazy.

Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 AM

This holley carb below is one I have used many times on several different builds over the years from a bone stock 305 my brother had to a stock 350 vortec and for a build making almost 400 hp but I had to upgrade some things since I had a way bigger cam then a mild cam like the vortec comes with.

I also get my carb parts from allcarbs and also below I posted a secondary metering block kit that allows you to get rid of the metering plate which on the 600 holley is about a 65 to 66 jet size and you can't change it but with the metering block you can then have jets on front and the rear side of things and with being able to change jets in the rear side of things you can tune it for what ever your engine will want. For a small block making less then 350 horsepower and running a mild cam this carb can't be beat.

When going to a bigger cam size of 270 degrees duration from seat to seat and [email protected] or more on the intake and exhaust lobes of a cam then you would have to modify it some but that is a whole other tuning guide there but for a mild vortec it would be pretty close out of the box. They are jetted pretty lean on the secondary side of things with the metering plate and I get the metering block kit from all carbs and then install 72 jets on the rear for a starting point and 66 on the front metering block and usually depending on certain things its pretty close within a few sizes up or down.

Holley 0-80457S 600CFM Street Warrior Electric Choke Factory Refurbished 4bbl | eBay

METERING BLOCK CONVERSION WITH TRANSFER TUBE
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
48PontiacTorpedo (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:29 PM

IF you can only run a spreadbore carb, then an Edelbrock AVS 650cfm is perfect. If you're not an Edelbrock fan; Holley has a spreadbore carb I think 6210 is the 650cfm version.

If you want to run a squarebore; go to Quickfuel or AED and get a vacuum secondary 650-700cfm carb that fits your budget,choke arrangement and appearance.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
48PontiacTorpedo (05-08-2017)

Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48PontiacTorpedo View Post
Hey Guys, before I spend around 400 dollars on a Carb and choose the wrong one I thought I'd ask for your advice first. Which exact Carb would you recommend? I have an L31 with a performer rpm intake and electric fuel pump that maxes out at 6.5. At this time I only plan on around 300 HP and may do a cam change down the road but nothing crazy.

Thanks guys

What carb did you choose and why has it turned out to be the wrong one?

What is the rest of the L31, is it stock but modified for a carb, or have you replaced internal parts like cam, pistons, heads, etc.

So where I'm headed is before you spend more money do the current parts work together or can they be made to work together without spending a ton of money.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in