what cause spray paint air cap clog - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what cause spray paint air cap clog

I recently bought a brand new devilbiss gti prolite which suppose to be top of the line gun for spraying clear coat, it lays down clear very nicely but after few mins of use, the air cap start to build up with material (clearcoat) and eventually clog up the air holes then it shoots out blobs of paint so I had to clean the cap every few minutes of use. I have tried different pressure25-30 psi and still does the same thing. Has anyone got the same issue? what is cause this? and how do you prevent it? Any input would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 12:54 AM

It can be a few things. Bounce back from the surface. Overspray that isn't getting cleared from the room collecting on the aircap. Running out of air pressure. I use a Tekna with 1.2/1.3 for clear with a TE10 aircap. Some of these Hs syrupy clears do better with a little reduction and the TE cap Vs. HVLP caps. I usually end up shooting clear between 20 and 25psi. You can always close up the fan a touch and back up a bit.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,837 Posts
Not familiar with that gun and its been a long time since I painted, so my advice isn't very specific but its free so here goes.

Assuming that all visible machined passages have been thoroghly visually inspected with strong light and good eye, and that proper cleaning has been done...

Is the buildup heavier to one side? If so, you have a warranty or damage issue. Make a call.

Can you show us the pattern with some thinner on cardboard? Or the buildup, or both? If your issue is ventilation or technique, the pattern should be beautiful. Very even and adjustable. Pics might get some every day painters to chime in also. Maybe this should be in the paint sub-forum, or tools.

If you were to adjust your needle for less fluid and try a technique change from, for example, 2" distance and 50% overlap at high speed to, for example, 3" distance and 75% overlap at medium speed... and got less buildup... that could indicate that its you or your setup. I bet theres a problem with the gun. Just my .02!

But in my experience, air cap buildup indicates improper airflow to or through the air cap, possibly due to machining defects or seals but usually clogging, or poorly machined or damaged fluid needle and or nozzle.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM

Clean it good then try it wide open, fan wide, fluid wide open, see if it still clogs. then we'll go from there. I always try start at the beginning when trouble shooting.
Sounds like air pressure is too low, fluid is choked off, or to thick. but get the gun clean first, spray straight lacquer thinner through it while looking at the fan pattern and see if its any better.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
I'll agree with that. Not enough paint coming out and not enough air pressure. If your running a screen in the cup remove the screen. ...Wallah...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in