What is this device called? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is this device called?

I'm not sure where this belongs so since it hangs off a window, I guess it could be considered exterior:

I know what it does. It channels air into a tube and blows it into the car. Is it something like a swamp cooler that you would fill with water or ice or does it just acts as a fan? What is the aluminum looking screen do? Filter out leaves or birds?

I tried the various terms like "Window air funnel", "air funnel that hangs off car window" and nothing the resembles it has popped up.

I was considering trying to build one out of PVC pipe. But I'd like to see more photos to see how it's designed. I'm always searching Ebay for "antique auto accessories" and sometimes these pop up for sale but people want more for them than what it would cost to put together an air conditioning system.

Of course it's easier to hang this off a window than to plumb in a custom built AC system which took me three months to do on a Fiat Spider. Not something I would tackle again unless I was a single man! If you know what I mean.

Ok what a minute. Too late to delete this post. Looks like they are called Thermador Car coolers.

Swamp coolers are not effective here in the Southeastern US due to the high humidity but I guess if they blow air at you, then they could have some cooling effect.

Years ago I used to have an 81 Honda Prelude and I had a sunroof deflector that had too flaps that could be directed so it would push air downward and it was somewhate effective.

Advertisement

Last edited by jseabolt; 06-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Thermadors are HUGE in the "bomb" lowrider set. As you said, swamp coolers don't work in high humidity. Its prettyneat that you want to make one
Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,965 Times in 2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseabolt View Post
I tried the various terms like "Window air funnel", "air funnel that hangs off car window" and nothing the resembles it has popped up.
Enter "car cooler" into google images....
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...85.hzV6YvriCJg

Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Enter "car cooler" into google images....
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...85.hzV6YvriCJg

Tech, since you live in the southwest and I grew up not far from you as a kid, this gadget should bring back some memories along with the desert water bag that was hung from the front bumper before every car had AC. Venturing over the mountains into the true desert was a real adventure of overheated engines and blow outs back in the 1940's and 50's.

The sign said "No services next 150 miles, Whiting Brother's Gas next service".

Bogie
Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM

One of my friends grew up in AZ in the 50s and he mentioned things like rooftop chillers on houses (not really air conditioning) and swamp coolers...and pouring a little cheap perfume in either....I imagine this was unpleasant?

Im 32 and when I took drivers ed; we still learned about driving through a blow out and had to change a tire. We also learned about "rocking" your car out of snow or sand, and how to drive through a snowdrift. Now? nothing remotely like that
Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,965 Times in 2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Tech, since you live in the southwest and I grew up not far from you as a kid, this gadget should bring back some memories along with the desert water bag that was hung from the front bumper before every car had AC. Venturing over the mountains into the true desert was a real adventure of overheated engines and blow outs back in the 1940's and 50's.

The sign said "No services next 150 miles, Whiting Brother's Gas next service".

Bogie
I remember the water bags vividly. They leaked just enough water so that the evaporation from the wind at highway speeds kept the water a little cooler than if it had just been out there with no leaks, baking in the sun.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM

About 10 years ago the AC in our laboratory where I work died. Someone down in the shop ordered this huge fiberglass box with a fan and a water hose connected to it called a Porta-cool:

The fan itself was OK if you stood directly in front of it and the water had somewhat of a cooling effect being cooler than the air but otherwise it didn't work all that great. Apparantly he guy who ordered it didn't do much research on evaporative cooling.

So I did some research on my own. I guess the reason I never heard of it until about 10 years ago was because they are non-existant here in Tennessee because of this scale:

My parent's visited our cousins out in Colorado a couple of years ago and she has a swamp cooler mounted to the ceiling in the center of her house and Dad said it was quite effective. I can see how as dry as it is out there. Last time I was out there I itched myself to death in the middle of summer. My skin is just not accustomed to dry air.

Back before central cooling and heating (heat pumps) everybody had one window unit usually in their bedroom and that was about it. My parents house was built in 1968 and was not built with AC so my parent's had one that ran off 220 volts in their bedroom. When dad would come home from work in the summer, we would all pile up in the master bedroom and eat dinner and watch TV.

Eventually he bought me one for my room as a birthday present. Although being a kid, I could usually tolerate heat much better than my parents. I used to ride around all day with the top down or in a car without AC and it never bothered me until I hit 40. So a few years ago I went from building turbo systems to air conditioning systems!

Also back in the 1960s, Sears used to install under the dash units like the one I used in my Fiat Spider:

I read that more than 50% of the electricity used in the Southeastern United States is from running air conditioning systems.

Last edited by jseabolt; 06-17-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Had a porto Kool in the shop back in 2000, worked OK.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor

A welding / fab shop I used to work at here in Colorado installed a Porta Cool... the guys in the shop loved it until all the tools in their tool boxes started to rust... due to the increased humidity.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 PM

Is anyone producing the car window mounted coolers today? I would like one as a simple and trouble free backup.

(I'm in Tucson!) :-)~
Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 PM

In really dry air the swap coolers are actually better than AC. Often in really dry air people will get nose bleeds or extremely sore throats and noses setting under the swamp cooler fixes this right up. I grew up in one of the areas listed as marginal to ineffective and swamp coolers didn't work so good in the spring ore rare rainy summers day but they were great otherwise in the summer.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in