The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1067 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Hey Brian,

What brand of saw is that you used? I had bad luck with the Harbor fright one I had and am still looking for a good one!
If you're looking for a good one stay away from HF. If I didn't have bad luck using their tools I wouldn't have any luck at all. I wont walk thru their doors anymore...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnit For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Hey Brian,

What brand of saw is that you used? I had bad luck with the Harbor fright one I had and am still looking for a good one!
I'll look for a name, I can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

Brian
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
On the same respect, choose the hill you want to die on. I mean in your head too, don't let it bother you, it really depends on their intent. To just check out a cool car and be on their way, what the heck, it's not a big deal. You know what I mean?

Brian
I think the biggest issue is that the car was covered and they tried to sneak a peek. They knew they were doing something wrong when they dropped the cover as the owner showed up.

If it was uncovered it wouldn't have been a big deal, if it was mine.... But still, a little courtesy goes a long way....

As far as Counts Kustoms and the like, yeah, they're all staged..... But, I still like a bunch of them, including Counts.......

Old 05-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,696 Posts
I have a Chicago Pnewmatic and a Mac Tool saws ,I cant tell the difference,the blade to fit the type material is the most important thing,,
Old 05-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnit View Post
I think the biggest issue is that the car was covered and they tried to sneak a peek. They knew they were doing something wrong when they dropped the cover as the owner showed up.

If it was uncovered it wouldn't have been a big deal, if it was mine.... But still, a little courtesy goes a long way....

As far as Counts Kustoms and the like, yeah, they're all staged..... But, I still like a bunch of them, including Counts.......

LOL ,,I cant help but watch Count,and sometimes Gas Monkey,,but just cant bring myself to watch the spin off with the 2 toms,cant remember the name of it,
Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 PM

I pulled the inner tie rods out of the Falcon. I didn't the puller that would fit. I borrowed a lame tool from a guy at work that he got at HF, it didn't work. But it hit me that I could use it along with mine as an adapter. It worked like a charm.

I also cleaned up the Granada parts so he can get them painted.

Brian
Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnit View Post

You really nailed it Rodnit! If my car had been parked in the front yard uncovered, or in front of my house uncovered, then looking it over or taking pictures wouldn't bother me a bit. And if they didn't think they were doing anything wrong, then they wouldn't have dropped the cover and stepped off the property.
I've often had people stop by when one of my cars is uncovered outside, and ask if they could take pictures. Or pull up on the street and simply take pictures. I don't care either way, but it is nice to have someone ask when they really didn't need to ask. In this situation they DID need to ask. If it requires stepping on my property and lifting the car cover, it requires my permission. Had they asked, I'd have gladly removed the cover and chatted with them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
boothboy (05-11-2016), John long (05-11-2016), Too Many Projects (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
You really nailed it Rodnit! If my car had been parked in the front yard uncovered, or in front of my house uncovered, then looking it over or taking pictures wouldn't bother me a bit. And if they didn't think they were doing anything wrong, then they wouldn't have dropped the cover and stepped off the property.
I've often had people stop by when one of my cars is uncovered outside, and ask if they could take pictures. Or pull up on the street and simply take pictures. I don't care either way, but it is nice to have someone ask when they really didn't need to ask. In this situation they DID need to ask. If it requires stepping on my property and lifting the car cover, it requires my permission. Had they asked, I'd have gladly removed the cover and chatted with them.
Understand, I didn't mean that it was ok for them to do this. All I meant was that unless it's happening every day, move on and don't sweat it. They weren't doing anything evil, you know what I mean?

Brian
Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
Quote:
Understand, I didn't mean that it was ok for them to do this. All I meant was that unless it's happening every day, move on and don't sweat it. They weren't doing anything evil, you know what I mean?

Brian
The thing is, you don't know that. They may have been snooping to see if there was something worth stealing...
Him coming out and confronting them about their inappropriate behavior was a solid deterrent against coming back. If they had stuck around and said "sorry, could you tell us about your cool car", that would be disarming. Since it seems they just booked out of there, that throws a big red flag for me.
I've had vehicles and parts stolen and my trust level is about sand on the pavement high with suspicious people like that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
1971BB427 (05-11-2016), 496CHEVY3100 (05-11-2016), boothboy (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Brian
Not sure if you've ever had a car stolen Brian. But since I've had 3 cars and a motorcycle stolen, I look at anyone who's snooping around my vehicles as a potential threat, or thief. No, I don't know what you mean when you say they weren't doing anything evil. Not getting caught stealing a car doesn't mean that checking it out doesn't have any ill intent. I'm sure the other cars I had stolen were also checked out before someone stole them.
I will move on, but I will also stay vigilant.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Yeow! No I have never had a car stolen. I can certainly understand your point of view is quite different than mine. And yes, if I were you I would be concerned. Now....I may be too.

Brian
Old 05-11-2016, 02:22 PM

Picked up a 1936 Chevy straight axle a year ago at the swap meet. It had "lightening holes" drill in the main beam, and was chromed. Since it was very cheap, I grabbed it for some future project. Then earlier this year I picked up a pair of Econoline E100 van spindles, which I was told will "bolt right on" the Chevy axle. The spindles had been torched off the van axle, and came with 3 spindles, and 3 hubs. One spindle was bent, so only the hub was usable.
Today I sprayed them down with penetrant and broke them down. One kingpin was frozen, so took the portaband to the axle and cut the stub off. Once I got them all apart, I checked them on the chrome axle for fit. The spindles fit perfect, but the kingpin is too large a diameter to fit the hole in the axle. Now I need to locate someone locally who can ream the hole out to fit the Ford van kingpins, so I can put it together.
Haven't got a project to use it on, but might swap it into my '63 Falcon, if I get it all rebuilt and working well. The straight axle in it now is a Ford Van, and it's a bit wider than this Chevy axle.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Semper Gumby

Wiki Edits: 2

Anytime someone is snooping around my cars, my home, my ANYTHING sans permission, I have to assume nefarious purposes. If its parked on the street, downtown people will stop & stare, look in the windows etc. I take that as a compliment, (unless they are taking notes).

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if I don't want folks interested in my car, I should just drive a 5 year-old grey Camry, but if someone comes into my yard and starts snooping - well - I'm suddenly on high alert
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave57210 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

how many of you have actually thought about getting some of the power pole screw in the ground anchor eye bolts. and installing them next to your driveway in a small meter box so its covered when not in use...

this allows one to park their car and slip a chain around the axle or leaf spring. with a massive padlock. just to prevent the car from growing wheels and rolling it away..

there are also frame pulling pots that can easily be installed in holes drilled in concrete.

a friend of mine actually installed pulling pots in the curb in front of his house out in the san fernando valley.. along with several in the driveway.. but he lost a really nice KR500 clone..

its just an idea.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep712 View Post
how many of you have actually thought about getting some of the power pole screw in the ground anchor eye bolts. and installing them next to your driveway in a small meter box so its covered when not in use...

this allows one to park their car and slip a chain around the axle or leaf spring. with a massive padlock. just to prevent the car from growing wheels and rolling it away..

there are also frame pulling pots that can easily be installed in holes drilled in concrete.

a friend of mine actually installed pulling pots in the curb in front of his house out in the san fernando valley.. along with several in the driveway.. but he lost a really nice KR500 clone..

its just an idea.
Wayne, have you ever seen those eyes put in the ground? The average guy doesn't have the right tools to turn one into the ground. Then there's the problem of being 100% sure of what's underground in your property!!! Sure would hate to see someone hit an underground power line, or natural gas!
Installing anchors in concrete would be much safer, but need a method to install the bolts that is tamper proof, so a thief can't unbolt them.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in