The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1369 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I came home to find Nick with the cherry picker out and ready to put his motor on a stand. He and I got it done so he has taken the first step in getting the Falcon V8ed.

Brian
It seems to me your boy has the bug. No more relaxing after work for you he'll have you out there every night showing him how to do things. Your a lucky man, Brian.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-13-2017), adantessr (09-14-2017), MARTINSR (09-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
I managed to get out to the shop for a bit so I swapped in the 023 I picked up this morning and a new 023 tip into my machine. It has been cleaned good and was ready to go.

I grabbed two 4X4 pieces of new 18 Ga and butted them together and put a quick series of tacks to hold and looked at the weld. I messed with the settings and found a good setting where I was getting good penetration and them layed a real nice bead down along the seam. Another good weld. I then layed a series of beads over the scrap and got the machine real happy. Some of my best welding..

After feeling elated as to how the welder was working I decided to try and add that piece of rusty scrap. it had been clean before and I did not want to grind any more material off the piece for fear of making it too thin.

I butted the rusty stuff up against the clean new steel and made a series of 5 tacks. The result was 2 perfect tacks and 3 new holes in the old steel. It is a real hit or miss business. I am going to play a bit more tomorrow and see if I can fine tune this this wire.

I am convinced now that my machine is working good now. this 023 is much easier to run on thin steel than that 030 was.

Funny thing, I had my machine on 1 and about 25 on the speed when I was running the 030 wire and on clean new steel. Standard start point on my machine was called for setting 2 and about 25 using smaller wire. . I am real close on the optimum settings for the good stuff, however I need to temper it a little I think for the rusty stuff..

My thoughts on the 023 change, I am loving this 023. It lays a smaller flatter tack and if I want to run a bead it makes a nice smaller flatter bead. I was getting almost perfect penetration and it flowed smooth. I feel more comfortable as it is a snap to get a nice weld.

Tomorrow I will give it a good run and see how it works. All you guys have been great in helping me get the upper hand on this monster..
Try this Rip, instead of starting the weld on the edge hitting both pieces at the same time put the bead on the new metal and swing it over to the edge once the tack gets started. kinda like welding two pieces of different thicknesses. also try backing the joint with copper I use a 1/2" copper pipe I smashed flat.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,553 Times in 4,290 Posts
Also, when you blow a hole, Build from the area that the metal melted back too. In other words, the thickest place.

The biggest mistake is to keep trying to weld it. Let it cool before you hit it again. There are two reasons for this. The cooled metal will not blow out as quickly but more importantly, if you keep trying to weld it, you will end up with distortion from getting the panel too hot.

Once the hole is burned back to solid metal, I weld it from one side of the hole and then connect the other side last. This limits the amount the weld pulls both panels which causes the shrinking and distortion. I hope this makes some sense.

What you are going through is one of the reasons I love making new panels. Pitted metal is not only a pain to weld but equally aggravating to get primed and filled to where it looks new and solid. If you don't get it slick, in no time it looks like heck because you can't keep it clean.

Good luck. Keep on keeping on!
John

Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,103 Times in 4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
It seems to me your boy has the bug. No more relaxing after work for you he'll have you out there every night showing him how to do things. Your a lucky man, Brian.
He couldn't get a nut off the torque converter and had rounded it off using a number of different tools. I got the torch out and did the old heat and cool trick and it unscrewed with a hand wrench. I made sure to make it clear who taught me that trick and who to give credit to for it. Man has it saved my butt a million times.

Brian
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,281 Posts
Quote:
I came home to find Nick with the cherry picker out and ready to put his motor on a stand. He and I got it done so he has taken the first step in getting the Falcon V8ed.

Brian
Oooooh! 406 w/tri power. 4 speed. Locker rear end. FLAMES!!! Old school. Big and little's, cheaters, Hooker's w/dumps, FLAMES!!! None of this "ghost" stuff, FLAMES!!! Big a** hood scoop, FLAMES!!!

BB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-13-2017), idrivejunk (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Oooooh! 406 w/tri power. 4 speed. Locker rear end. FLAMES!!! Old school. Big and little's, cheaters, Hooker's w/dumps, FLAMES!!! None of this "ghost" stuff, FLAMES!!! Big a** hood scoop, FLAMES!!!

BB
Or mabe a FE,,427 high riser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDINOV92HUBERTPLATT65FALCONAFX-vi.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	376761  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Also, when you blow a hole, Build from the area that the metal melted back too. In other words, the thickest place.

The biggest mistake is to keep trying to weld it. Let it cool before you hit it again. There are two reasons for this. The cooled metal will not blow out as quickly but more importantly, if you keep trying to weld it, you will end up with distortion from getting the panel too hot.

Once the hole is burned back to solid metal, I weld it from one side of the hole and then connect the other side last. This limits the amount the weld pulls both panels which causes the shrinking and distortion. I hope this makes some sense.

What you are going through is one of the reasons I love making new panels. Pitted metal is not only a pain to weld but equally aggravating to get primed and filled to where it looks new and solid. If you don't get it slick, in no time it looks like heck because you can't keep it clean.

Good luck. Keep on keeping on!
John
Very good advise. You really have to pay attention when you blow through NOT to try and fill the holes as you go. Its tuff I get caught up in that situation still. I think I can fill the hole quick and end up getting the dam thing to hot. By the time I realize it its warped. It just cant be done so leave the burn holes for later.
I give pitted metal a real good cleaning with Ospho before welding, what a difference. You have to remember the pits can only be so deep before the metal needs to be replaced
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (09-13-2017), Rip VW (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Or mabe a FE,,427 high riser
Why is it some cars like this look so cool like that but something like a vet just looks plain silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,045 Times in 586 Posts
John, and Deadbodyman,

You guys both hit the nail on the head. I keep falling for "I can fix that blowout" mentality and I stop tacking and go into the I can fix that hole mode! I wind up blowing a bigger hole and getting the metal way to hot.

I have been trying the start the weld on good steel and flicking to the bad metal side. That does help.

I have lots of this scrap rusty stuff and I think I will grab a piece and ospho it and see if that helps too. I need to slow down and be much more careful when I squeeze that trigger. I also need to keep my torch tip angle more consistent. I find I slowly start leaning more and more.

Well it is 9:30 am here and I got 4 free hours to go do some more practice.
I will write tonight how the practice went.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Why is it some cars like this look so cool like that but something like a vet just looks plain silly.
I guess the cars like the Falcon,,novas 55s and the like are what we grew up with and is what they were runnin,back when Most people built their own not buy them or sponcer owned ,,use to watch ,Hubert Platt Cotton Perry,,Arnie Beswickm Bill (grumpy )Jenkins and many more ,Rowing the gears of a 4 speed, no automatics ,Lencos ,jericos,,those were the days

watch, Grumpys arm,,doing the butterfly on the Hurst shifter,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DC8F&FORM=VIRE
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,247 Times in 3,614 Posts
Might not see the 33 again, and the shiny is on the eight foot butt welds. (see links below)

When I blow a hole on a skin panel, whoa! But on anything else I tend to keep trying. Within reason, and I stop if it goes into warp drive.

Old car body repair pic dump: 33 Ford coupe

Old car body repair pic dump: Biscayne repairs- paint job
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-14-2017), John long (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,045 Times in 586 Posts
Mr. deadbodyman,

Ok a big thank you for your suggestion concerning the ospho trick. Also it is good to know I am not the only person that sometimes falls into the trap of "I can Fix that now" syndrome. It is hard sometimes not to attempt to fix on the run. I am however getting better at not stopping to fix that.

So today out in the shop I soaked a piece of the rusty scrap in a small quantity of Ospho for an hour and then pulled it out and did a quick wire brush on the steel. I then gave it a quick rinse and dry. The difference in the metal appearance was very noticeably shiny er. I look at the pitting and it was really clean but still noticeably cratered. I cleaned both pieces up and clamped in a but joint and stitched them together. I was expecting the same result but to my amazement the first 3 tacks went perfect. I un-clamped the pieces and stitched 4 or 5 more tacks. Not 1 single burn through.

At this point I should have stopped and ground some on the first pass so when I start the second pass I would have a better surface to merge the tacks. However as I was experimenting I just started laying passes down. It was sloppy but it told me a lot. It told me it was a whole bunch of little things that built up to frustration in my welding and the biggest problem was dirty steel.

So before I left the shop tonight I took a couple of shop wipes soaked in ospho and laid them out on the section of the shell that will be welded next.

Hey between all you guys I may actually be able to finish this thing. Here are a couple a pictures of practice today. Not pretty but not 1 burn thru. One picture shows a screwdriver bit lying next to the tacks showing the low profile of these tacks. One picture shows what looked like a burn hole but it was just crummy lighting.

So more progress and some valuable schooling today. One more bite
of the elephant accomplished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Test1.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	376857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test2.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	376865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test3.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	376873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test4.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	376881  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-14-2017), idrivejunk (09-13-2017), John long (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Try a hotter spot weld. I am really big on running that baby wide open and doing fast, hot welds, just a millisecond on the button, wham it's done. Now you have to have a tight fit, but this works well for me.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM

I got out to the garage tonight and finished up shaping the gutter on the drivers side and screwed into place until I can weld it. Nick got out there and pulled some stuff off his motor. There's life in the Martin back yard.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7141.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	376889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7140.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	376897  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-14-2017), 496CHEVY3100 (09-14-2017), boothboy (09-14-2017), idrivejunk (09-13-2017), John long (09-14-2017), Rip VW (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I got out to the garage tonight and finished up shaping the gutter on the drivers side and screwed into place until I can weld it. Nick got out there and pulled some stuff off his motor. There's life in the Martin back yard.

Brian
I really like that large back glass I wish I had taken time to do mine,it brings all glass inline andmatches the bpdy line,,

Great door gaps they didn't look that good from the factory,,
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-14-2017)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in