The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1426 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,552 Times in 4,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Got up early and took the wife's F150 down to a shop this morning. I did not want to do this, as I wanted to do the work myself! The trans a 4R70W was leaking a significant amount of fluid out of the bell housing.

I figure it is front pump seal and I was set to do it here. I bought a nice tall lift transmission jack to help remove the trans. I put the truck on my platform lift and had it in the air ready to pull the trans. I went out to start on the job and then I realized I may be biting off too much to chew this time.

I have been getting by in my shop using my wheelchair, and I can get up and make a few steps when necessary but can't stand any length of time. Well in the last year my bone disease has all but zapped my ability to get up and out of my chair very many times in a day let alone take steps as I would have to to pull this trans even with help.

Working on this outside in the rain adds to the "What am I thinking of" feeling. It hurts but I am going to sub out this work. While looking around the underneath of the truck, I noted a significant amount of motor oil leaking also from somewhere under the right cylinder head. I was hoping it was valve covers.

So I dropped it off this morning to have the trans leak fixed and oil leak looked into and the manager called me this evening and said the trans work was not going to be as bad as I was thinking. However he said they found the oil leak and it is not the valve cover, but at the right cylinder head. Oh crap looks like head gasket again 4k miles ago it was all new. Hmmmm. That is going to hit the ouch budget. Will this thing run me broke??

So 10 days from now, I am supposed to bring a large sum of money, in a plain brown paper bag, I will also have to add a 3rd round draft pick to be named later to boot!

Never thought it would come to this, but I guess sometimes you have to let go.. It is hard when you are used to tackling the big ones, now I just set on the bench as an observer.

Here is the upside. I will dedicate this repair to Small Business Saturday. This shop is a local shop not far from home and not a chain store so at least someone is making some wages..

Good for you RIP. There is no need to hurt yourself by over doing it. I quit mowing last year and am proud of it. Maybe I won't have to go on food stamps to pay for it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I'm sorry I will do better. Pictures will be forthcoming.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-28-2017), adantessr (11-27-2017), Rip VW (11-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,948 Posts
RIP, who did the head gasket last time ? if a shop, 4k, it should be warranty work. If it was you, sit back and relax, work on the T and come up with the draft pick...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,045 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
RIP, who did the head gasket last time ? if a shop, 4k, it should be warranty work. If it was you, sit back and relax, work on the T and come up with the draft pick...

Ahhhhhhhhh I must admit I am the one that did that R&R of the top end. I had the heads done by one of the best head shops around. They tested squared, ground and replaced some valves and all that. I used the Ford replacement head gasket, replaced the head bolts, Did the torque to yield with the angle gauge all exactly to spec all referenced to the factory OEM Service manual. (I have a complete set of factory service manuals for the truck)

I did that 2 or so years ago. I was able to move much better back then but it still nearly did me under. The engine sets so deep and so far back under the Cab Cowl it is hard to get to in the first place. Ford recommended the cab be removed from the chassis. That wasn't going to happen here so I toughed it out and got creative. It has been running awesome since. I had checked and it wasn't leaking from above and only found this leak when I examined the leaks from the transmission. So I guess I am paying for my own warranty in the long term.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:30 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,369 Times in 2,456 Posts
Quote:
Forget the draft pick....just trade the Ford POS away....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (11-30-2017), Rip VW (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhh I must admit I am the one that did that R&R of the top end. I had the heads done by one of the best head shops around. They tested squared, ground and replaced some valves and all that. I used the Ford replacement head gasket, replaced the head bolts, Did the torque to yield with the angle gauge all exactly to spec all referenced to the factory OEM Service manual. (I have a complete set of factory service manuals for the truck)

I did that 2 or so years ago. I was able to move much better back then but it still nearly did me under. The engine sets so deep and so far back under the Cab Cowl it is hard to get to in the first place. Ford recommended the cab be removed from the chassis. That wasn't going to happen here so I toughed it out and got creative. It has been running awesome since. I had checked and it wasn't leaking from above and only found this leak when I examined the leaks from the transmission. So I guess I am paying for my own warranty in the long term.
If it's just a minor oil leak, maybe have them re-torque the head and move on ? I couldn't believe when I learned the engines were set back so far, the cab had to be removed for head work, especially on the diesels. Reminiscent of a 4th gen Camaro...those cars are a major PITA to do engine work on. At least those, the cradle can be dropped down for access.
Rip VW (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:21 AM

That F150 is a horrible thing to work on. I had to buy a special tool just to disconnect the heater hoses to get them out of the way. The fitting is under the cowl and all the way back against the firewall. The hard part was I couldn't see the fitting as it was buried deep. When I did the job I had to pull the inner fender shields off to get to the exhaust manifolds.. I also built a shelf between the fenders to support myself so I could reach the back. What a pain...

I thought about getting rid of the truck a few years ago but it is the wife's truck and she has had it since new. We really need a pickup here to haul garbage,dirt,bark etc. I hate spending money but sometimes ya gotta bite the bullett and carry on.. I am really glad it ain't me that's going to fix it..
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (11-30-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,612 Posts
Here are some IDJ quick lunchtime stuffs. Catalina trunk lid still fits and front gutter fix is done but there are more to go yet, around the weatherstrip in other spots. The red Ford might be my project next week, it apparently has multiple gap issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_3006-20171128_1143411109542528.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	390298   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_3006-20171128_1144012054134950.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	390306   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_3006-20171128_1148572087626145.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	390314   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_3006-20171127_170134523806234.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	390322   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_3006-20171128_115044731507166.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	390330  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-28-2017), John long (11-28-2017), Rip VW (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
That F150 is a horrible thing to work on. I had to buy a special tool just to disconnect the heater hoses to get them out of the way. The fitting is under the cowl and all the way back against the firewall. The hard part was I couldn't see the fitting as it was buried deep. When I did the job I had to pull the inner fender shields off to get to the exhaust manifolds.. I also built a shelf between the fenders to support myself so I could reach the back. What a pain...

I thought about getting rid of the truck a few years ago but it is the wife's truck and she has had it since new. We really need a pickup here to haul garbage,dirt,bark etc. I hate spending money but sometimes ya gotta bite the bullett and carry on.. I am really glad it ain't me that's going to fix it..
I can somewhat relate. Between my spine and nerve Dr. and my Orthopedist, I'm really not supposed to do much. I'm achy all over from doing minor stuff at my wife's son's house that they're putting up for sale. I've had bilateral joint replacements of knees, hips, and shoulders. I also have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and bulging discs between every one of my lumbar vertebra. New malady is bursitis in my left quad. God is good and I feel blessed. I know people younger than I that can't begin to do the things that I do on a regular basis. I guess I'm like a Timex.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adantessr For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-29-2017), 496CHEVY3100 (11-28-2017), idrivejunk (11-30-2017), John long (11-28-2017), Rip VW (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
I can somewhat relate. Between my spine and nerve Dr. and my Orthopedist, I'm really not supposed to do much. I'm achy all over from doing minor stuff at my wife's son's house that they're putting up for sale. I've had bilateral joint replacements of knees, hips, and shoulders. I also have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and bulging discs between every one of my lumbar vertebra. New malady is bursitis in my left quad. God is good and I feel blessed. I know people younger than I that can't begin to do the things that I do on a regular basis. I guess I'm like a Timex.

Other than this i guess every thing is ok ,
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (11-29-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Well, I had a really good day today. I did find and buy front fenders for Precious that are much better than the ones I had. I am really excited to get them.

I also started welding my fender mounting plates to the frame rails today. I will get some pictures as I get a bit further.

Speaking of pictures, Here are a couple of my buddy's '32 "all Henry" sedan he bought Saturday. This is one nice car!

John

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-29-2017), 496CHEVY3100 (11-29-2017), adantessr (11-28-2017), idrivejunk (11-29-2017), Too Many Projects (11-28-2017), whinny (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post

I have a friend whom is 4 years older than I am. He is tall looks healthy and fit. I can out work, Out lift, and out last him hands down. He just turned to jelly. Of course I may do that soon myself.

adantessr, Yeah, I count what I haven't had replaced anymore. I have 1 knee and 1 shoulder left that is oem. all the rest are replacements and the last replacement on the left hip was made in china by slave labor. it is not a happy camper.
Each morning I get up look outside and take a breath and say today is a good day cause I am still alive on the planet!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
adantessr (11-29-2017), idrivejunk (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,612 Posts
You guys are scaring me. I have to work until dead with no vacations. My cousin is getting new hips and knees, one knee left to go yet. So far, so good.

John, that red deuce is a beauty! What a score. I was not aware you were needing those panels for the 53. I knew about the fenders but.... anyway its great news you found what you need.

I am having to use two devices for foruming at HRF. Suddenly as of last couple weeks, if I try to use the thanx button on my phone, that enhanced view crap pops up and I have to start over from scratch. That makes me not want to post. Can't fully use the site with either device that I posess. At least I figured out how to keep them from replacing my words with ones I did not type or want.

The new mess, that red car, is a 68 Mustang and I start on it today, over in the paint shop. None of the panels line up but somebody painted it anyway. It is a coupe converted to fastback and has an MII front end and fiberglass hood and decklid. Lucky me! I could sense that I was going to get pulled away from the Cat so I sat it on the frame and rolled it outside for a spell before starting the next gutter fix. Glad I did. Soon as boss saw that suddenly the Mustang is not a next week thing. No pics this post because I wanted to thank somebody and time is up so I'm off to work.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 AM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
You guys are scaring me. I have to work until dead with no vacations. My cousin is getting new hips and knees, one knee left to go yet. So far, so good.

John, that red deuce is a beauty! What a score. I was not aware you were needing those panels for the 53. I knew about the fenders but.... anyway its great news you found what you need.

I am having to use two devices for foruming at HRF. Suddenly as of last couple weeks, if I try to use the thanx button on my phone, that enhanced view crap pops up and I have to start over from scratch. That makes me not want to post. Can't fully use the site with either device that I posess. At least I figured out how to keep them from replacing my words with ones I did not type or want.

The new mess, that red car, is a 68 Mustang and I start on it today, over in the paint shop. None of the panels line up but somebody painted it anyway. It is a coupe converted to fastback and has an MII front end and fiberglass hood and decklid. Lucky me! I could sense that I was going to get pulled away from the Cat so I sat it on the frame and rolled it outside for a spell before starting the next gutter fix. Glad I did. Soon as boss saw that suddenly the Mustang is not a next week thing. No pics this post because I wanted to thank somebody and time is up so I'm off to work.
We will let you slide this time but pictures are part of your me,bership fee....

That mustang is going to really be fun. Fixing a car that has been built, welded and painted, without panel fit is going to be just a peachy keen project!

Your the man!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 AM

The gaps on the deck lid are quite large. Being glass will make that more interesting.
That's in final paint ? thought it was a primer...
idrivejunk (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Slow but willing learner

One other thing. The gentleman who bought my '49 Merc past away in February. I just found out his wife also passed away in May. They have owned the Merc since I sold it in '92.

I spoke to a dear friend of Red and Bonny’s last night and he is going to keep me in the loop as far as what the daughter does with the cars. From what John said, the car is beginning to show it's age but that would be the only way I could afford to get it back.

I really liked Red and it pleased me he had kept the car for 25 years and never changed the color though it did get one repaint.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (11-29-2017), idrivejunk (11-30-2017)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in