The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1469 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,155 Times in 3,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Probably a 400 block stroker....depending on the build spec's, he spent minimum 10k to 13k+ on that engine alone...but at least 500 hp/550 lb ft, up to 750 each...

Better add a down force wing on the trunk, cause that cat's gonna fly...
I think its the 500/550 level, probably around 15K with the EFI. But the detail I left out... the 455 cast on the side of the block... says its not a stroked 400. A +.060 400 has the highest potential VE of stock stuff so I bet thats the standard bore on their new blocks. Either way, yes... a big cat with grunt. Fresh grunt!

I may put in a couple days on other projects, to even out the multi-tech labor days on it while Big Mike placed the engine. Mount bars and brackets are still in progress. Today I got the entire cabin's floor bracing fitted and screwed / tacked (except for that right front thats hanging down, woops) and am happy but don't want to pause because I am so close to having the floor made up. Heres the pic... my plan is to plug the footwells and pans to the bracing and just cap that with the tunnel reset to the right height, plugging the tunnel to the same top surface of the frame-hugging long bar as I will the pans. If I lost you just then... well, its just going to be a snap instead of hassle thanks to planning. Backwards labor is still minimal at this point, so as a shop we are collectively learning and improving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_2449-20180125_165440182167069.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	401290   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_2449-20180125_170030979231837.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	401298  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,923 Posts
WOW, that floor pan frame is looking mighty professional...

The shop shooting for a Ridler car...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
WOW, that floor pan frame is looking mighty professional...

The shop shooting for a Ridler car...
Aw now ... its just complimentary photography. Got bigger pics for you now, to show more ugly. I really don't have a clue how this ride will be used but man, honestly I am just doing it the only way I know how. And its new ground for me so I'm watching my steps. It is downright fun though. Be more fun now because I can remove the door bracing for pan work.

May have failed to explain how simply this will go together, out of the car with screwed pallet wood acting as rockers... the footwells will plug weld to the outward face of the long tube, and the tunnel plugs to the inner face. When you look under the car, you will only see stitched areas and not much of that. In the first pic you can see my loose brace, the front body mount tie-in spot, and the awful bottleneck created by the currently tacked trans mount. I have an idea for that. It was another good day. I hate to pause right here though.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I came so close to bidding on this yesterday. My mouse finger was twitching away. A set of mags and tires and a new daily driver is born. Thinking of selling my pick up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevro...p2047675.l2557
Good eye, Pugsy It was kinda steep to be so plain though, so keep hunting and if you dig 73s, hold out for a hatchback so you won't miss the truck as much. Kowing you're looking puts a smirk on my face... maybe you'll find what you deserve and love it. I know I miss my 71 Pontiac version of the X body...

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:00 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,737 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Probably a 400 block stroker....depending on the build spec's, he spent minimum 10k to 13k+ on that engine alone...but at least 500 hp/550 lb ft, up to 750 each...

Better add a down force wing on the trunk, cause that cat's gonna fly...
I have never seen a price on Butler engines,they are one of the Top of the line engines,,that is what Big Chief on Street outlaws runs,,the rest of them are running Pro Line,,Daddy Dave and Shawn (murder Nova changed for the new season,,The Pro Line shop, is about 10 miles abobe my house,,this is a used one for sale..NOT the big engine ,,Doc is running a 932 cu in ,rest are in the 700s,,

This is a used engine ,,https://www.prolineracing.net/blogs/...ngine-for-sale

But if you just must have a new,this is starting price,options at bottom of page .
https://www.prolineracing.net/blogs/...hunter-3000-hp

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 01-25-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,099 Times in 4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Aw now ... its just complimentary photography. Got bigger pics for you now, to show more ugly. I really don't have a clue how this ride will be used but man, honestly I am just doing it the only way I know how. And its new ground for me so I'm watching my steps. It is downright fun though. Be more fun now because I can remove the door bracing for pan work.

May have failed to explain how simply this will go together, out of the car with screwed pallet wood acting as rockers... the footwells will plug weld to the outward face of the long tube, and the tunnel plugs to the inner face. When you look under the car, you will only see stitched areas and not much of that. In the first pic you can see my loose brace, the front body mount tie-in spot, and the awful bottleneck created by the currently tacked trans mount. I have an idea for that. It was another good day. I hate to pause right here though.

Beautiful work!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,288 Times in 2,424 Posts
Quote:
Good eye, Pugsy It was kinda steep to be so plain though, so keep hunting and if you dig 73s, hold out for a hatchback so you won't miss the truck as much. Kowing you're looking puts a smirk on my face... maybe you'll find what you deserve and love it. I know I miss my 71 Pontiac version of the X body...

I prefer 68-72 but that one was so perfect and you just know it had no rust issues.
The hatchback is nice for sure.
I may or may not buy something. It's fun looking.

If I don't sell my truck, I will chop the frame and change it into a short box.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Beautiful work!

Brian
Thanks a lot. I'll try to do my best welding on the floor supports but have never really been able to stack dimes... at least this will be practice of that.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:51 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I prefer 68-72 but that one was so perfect and you just know it had no rust issues.

Click on Pontiacs! That Nova was mighty good, low miles are always tempting but if you put one like that into service it wouldn't take long to start leaking everything. Keep your ear to the ground and go with your gut. The 68-72 pillared X body really is the best choice for a fast street car, in my mind. I'd get that Ventura back if I could, sold it to a local friend.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:42 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

@Idrivejunk, nice work there. Looks a lot of fun.

Yesterday was my last day working alone. Monday I get integrated into the team to teach the younger guys. From my stand point, I see a lot of expensive Snap On tool boxes, a lot of technical knowledge, but I feel they rely on the equipment too much and could use a tech that has old school in them. An example... Guy gets rear rail job, does a decent job in pulling it out, but is trying to hard to pull out damage that can be better addressed if the metal is cut out. Get's the length, which is important but it's up a hair, doesn't pound on the area from above one time to get it down, or considers that it's up in the part alone, which it was/ I saw the bulge. Then the vehicle gets off the rack and the rear hatch doesn't fit well, so they take it back up on the rack and remeasure it. Dude, the measuring system is not gonna tell you everything, not even if you measure the studs for the reinforcement. That rear body is in obviously, the hinges probably need to be smacked around a bit. Child's play. It's like they're too cautious or robotic. Same guy spent hours doing all the fancy welding on a plastic bumper, gets out a propane torch for the fuzzies, knows all these bumper techniques I never even heard of, yet the painter kicks the bumper back. you're talking bout a near all day bumper job. He has heart though so that's the kid who's gonna teach me all the technical gadgets in the shop and in exchange I'll rub my palms raw checking his bodywork and showing him panel fitment without the gadgets. He's your prototypical young body tech these days but doing restoration and not relying on the gadgets is crucial. Then when you want some actual money THEN go into production.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Grand Prix User

Thanks, tech69. For you Cali crash dudes, here is a gratuitous pic from my work area in March of 2006. No thats not my box, I have an older five drawer hip-high Craftsman and a two shelf cart, thats more than I've ever needed. Anyway, look at that 05-ish E-class Benz closely, everything ahead of the block and towers unbolts. My favorite front structure ever. Those stubs rarely move, and nasty front hits like this end up just being setup and measure time. I think its a smart design.

I don't know if I am putting you guys to sleep or keeping you awake, but this is where I ended up the week... separated the pan's tunnel section, trimmed the front. Might re-make that so its one piece. I have the driver's seat pan and rear foot well in final poition, everything else is just laying loose but the tunnel has been raised at the front. Pending driveshaft mock up but no matter because pan work can continue. One hurdle I knew would arise is proper seat placement side to side, and I am thinking offset plates atop the inner brackets.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-27-2018), John long (01-27-2018), tech69 (01-27-2018), Too Many Projects (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Thanks, tech69. For you Cali crash dudes, here is a gratuitous pic from my work area in March of 2006. No thats not my box, I have an older five drawer hip-high Craftsman and a two shelf cart, thats more than I've ever needed. Anyway, look at that 05-ish E-class Benz closely, everything ahead of the block and towers unbolts. My favorite front structure ever. Those stubs rarely move, and nasty front hits like this end up just being setup and measure time. I think its a smart design.

I don't know if I am putting you guys to sleep or keeping you awake, but this is where I ended up the week... separated the pan's tunnel section, trimmed the front. Might re-make that so its one piece. I have the driver's seat pan and rear foot well in final poition, everything else is just laying loose but the tunnel has been raised at the front. Pending driveshaft mock up but no matter because pan work can continue. One hurdle I knew would arise is proper seat placement side to side, and I am thinking offset plates atop the inner brackets.

Man, I need to put my bead roller into good use like that. Here I am doing Honda emblems and meaningless stuff with mine. Might do some artsy stuff in the future though and should be fun but am desperate for a project. That's what I miss about restoration when parts aren't there.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
Man, I need to put my bead roller into good use like that. Here I am doing Honda emblems and meaningless stuff with mine. Might do some artsy stuff in the future though and should be fun but am desperate for a project. That's what I miss about restoration when parts aren't there.
Keep something rod-esque going or go nuts. I don't understand the Honda craze either but its what the young ones do no matter the cost. The one at work throws cash piles at his regularly and just can't outrun my miled out worthless junk. The front pans in the 59 are "store-bought", I just loosely mocked them. Trunk pans same way, I'll blend the look. Chassis guy liked the blended OE / fab look of what I have going. You are right, its fun. Costly, too. Trying to keep that in mind because theres a LOT of build left to do.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

You gave me an idea, thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,288 Times in 2,424 Posts
Quote:
You gave me an idea, thanks!
Cool. A GP pickup short box....can't wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-27-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in