The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1508 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #22606 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,754
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,640
Thanked 8,092 Times in 4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
About two years.

Brian

Are you going to use the house for vacations for two years? Rent it? I know you did not buy a house two years in advance without some plans for it.

John

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22607 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM
ntfday's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Springfield, Mo
Age: 76
Posts: 719
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 347
Thanked 325 Times in 260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
W
It just blows me away that for $250k I am buying a house that would cost over a million here! Brian

And not built on a concrete slab either. Good luck to you and your family and I sure hope you enjoy the change(s).
My late step father was born and raised in Frisco and was caught up in the relocation deal in WWII. He spent the rest of his life in Dayton. Ohio and never looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22608 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 61
Posts: 16,162
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,361
Thanked 6,945 Times in 4,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Are you going to use the house for vacations for two years? Rent it? I know you did not buy a house two years in advance without some plans for it.

John
We will be renting it out.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (02-26-2018)
 
  #22609 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 4,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,612
Thanked 5,460 Times in 3,212 Posts
Pugsy your pan work looks nice. So theres no wisecracks for you today. I think I know that your metal working expertise is somehow connected to your occupation, and thats plenty because its none of my business, but I am curious if your mechanical side also has a foundation in a past job or something. Its kinda new to me that hardcore-ish DIY guys are building their own automatics. So like did you have a need one day, score a few tools, go by a printed manual? I do have a spark of interest but inquiring minds just want to know. I learned long ago to keep an eye on dudes that fix any part of their cars. It is a pleasure to see you grab a gear and pull away from working on the castle.

John, goodness gracious. Mercy sakes alive. Glory be, I must be as confused as a fart in a fan factory. I thought you had a couple cans of Spam to eat last week and now I am...





In IDJ snooze, theres that dadgum trans tunnel which was tougher than I anticipated to fit. And looking at the pics I am telling myself to clean up the english wheel rollers. I'll have you all know that it took a certain amount of self discipline to not roll an arrowhead on top of the hump. Figured I would post up a pic of this cracked up 75 plastic fantastic also, that arrived and is in other hands. I think it has a sharp look but not enough sidewall. Never is. I guess that just means "needs moar lows" in millenial speak. Anyhow, business as usual. The vette made me realize that every tech we have is capable of decent fiberglass repairs and that way beats one guy having to always do them. Painter is fixing it, he is a vette and bike enthusiast.

A first happened yesterday, as I was making my selection from the lunch meat aisle I heard "Nice car!". Huh? Before realizing that was odd, I knee-jerked a "Thanks" out of course. Then hey... I looked, and it was just a smirking dude who looks like he has an old car of some sort and keeps walking. Looked like he did it to see my expression. Oh, I says to myself... washed it. Yep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_17568-20180226_0922021043198545.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	409530   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_17568-20180226_170955765583753.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	409538   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_17568-20180226_17090351481239.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	409546  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-27-2018), John long (02-27-2018)
  #22610 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,262
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,586
Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I hope you took advantage of the opportunity to shave in the reflection of that pan before it gets all dirty Pugsy.

I pretty much finalized my snorkels today but have to finish welding them and grind/file them. I just put new media in my sand plast cabinet. I would love to have the air cleaner ready to paint this week.

John

Looks great John.i especially like the bead roll a couple inches from the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22611 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,754
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,640
Thanked 8,092 Times in 4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Looks great John.i especially like the bead roll a couple inches from the body.
Thanks David. They don't need to be there but I just get a kick out of replicating the factory style.

I thank you again for letting me get the origional from you. It has indeed been a fun little project.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (02-26-2018)
  #22612 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,347
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 173 Times in 131 Posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-27-2018)
  #22613 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2018, 11:08 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 3,125
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,165
Thanked 684 Times in 559 Posts
bondo monday, no fun. I did try my friend's Dent fix body line tool and it's awesome. I usually just use a paint stick with a hole in it or a pencil divider but love how well the body line tool works so I ordered one. Also got to use my new orbital long board toy on a door. Worked great! Love that thing! Next week I ad another Milwaukee cordless ratchet. The 3/8" fuel...I can't wait!

Also came home to this. I'm tired of metal shavings on my arms and neck. I got this sleeved cape and it will work great for welding and grinding even in the summer months. I already had the apron and luckily it fit the cape with the buttons exactly in the right place. There's little material on the back but that's perfect for summer and I can remove the apron as well when it's hot. Being protected and not too hot has always been a problem for me in the summer but this will help with that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	409554
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22614 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 AM
123pugsy's Avatar
Purists Hate Me
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 57
Posts: 4,115
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 8,350
Thanked 3,804 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Pugsy your pan work looks nice. So theres no wisecracks for you today. I think I know that your metal working expertise is somehow connected to your occupation, and thats plenty because its none of my business, but I am curious if your mechanical side also has a foundation in a past job or something. Its kinda new to me that hardcore-ish DIY guys are building their own automatics. So like did you have a need one day, score a few tools, go by a printed manual? I do have a spark of interest but inquiring minds just want to know. I learned long ago to keep an eye on dudes that fix any part of their cars. It is a pleasure to see you grab a gear and pull away from working on the castle.
Thanks.

I had a shop rebuild a tranny and it died. I had the 350 on the floor so I went and bought a rebuild book. I threw it in the truck and it ran fine.
A few months later, I was looking at that dead tranny on the floor and decided to do that one and throw it in the truck. That worked good also, so I did a few more after that. I sold that first one and the second one was still pulling fine in the truck I just sold.

As for sheet metal work, I started at a restaurant equipment manufacturing shop back in 79. Now I run a shop for a guy doing the same thing. Good thing I don't need to be on my feet all day as I don't thinkI could take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22615 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 AM
123pugsy's Avatar
Purists Hate Me
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 57
Posts: 4,115
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 8,350
Thanked 3,804 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post



In IDJ snooze, theres that dadgum trans tunnel which was tougher than I anticipated to fit. And looking at the pics I am telling myself to clean up the english wheel rollers. I'll have you all know that it took a certain amount of self discipline to not roll an arrowhead on top of the hump.
It's looking good.

The ewheel will make tracking marks as soon as you don't support the sheet or if you force one side down as your pushing it through.

Did you use the wheel to make it have a compound curve or did you use the wheel to roll it into shape?
To roll/shape metal, use a go kart slick and it works just like a metal roller. You can radius a piece as long as you like this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22616 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 AM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 4,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,612
Thanked 5,460 Times in 3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks.

I had a shop rebuild a tranny and it died. I had the 350 on the floor so I went and bought a rebuild book. I threw it in the truck and it ran fine.
A few months later, I was looking at that dead tranny on the floor and decided to do that one and throw it in the truck. That worked good also, so I did a few more after that. I sold that first one and the second one was still pulling fine in the truck I just sold.

As for sheet metal work, I started at a restaurant equipment manufacturing shop back in 79. Now I run a shop for a guy doing the same thing. Good thing I don't need to be on my feet all day as I don't thinkI could take it.
All day feet on concrete does hurt. Some days its knees. The GP forum (RIP) had a guy who did about the same with 4T65E-HDs. Even did some to sell after getting into it. Not a bad idea. Except your trans crate might show up covered in My Little Pony decorations, hahaha. He put an LS in an S-10 on the cheap too, and you would dig how it turned out. Wonder where all those GPF folks went. Anyway I considered learning automatics and doing that for a living instead of this. I figure as time goes on, transmissions will still be necessary whatever direction engines take next. I take it the shop that did your croaked trans didn't stand behind it. Sometimes it is just best to become your own expert on these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-27-2018)
  #22617 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 07:03 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 59
Posts: 7,950
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 104
Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
bondo monday, no fun. I did try my friend's Dent fix body line tool and it's awesome. I usually just use a paint stick with a hole in it or a pencil divider but love how well the body line tool works so I ordered one. Also got to use my new orbital long board toy on a door. Worked great! Love that thing! Next week I ad another Milwaukee cordless ratchet. The 3/8" fuel...I can't wait!

Also came home to this. I'm tired of metal shavings on my arms and neck. I got this sleeved cape and it will work great for welding and grinding even in the summer months. I already had the apron and luckily it fit the cape with the buttons exactly in the right place. There's little material on the back but that's perfect for summer and I can remove the apron as well when it's hot. Being protected and not too hot has always been a problem for me in the summer but this will help with that.

Attachment 409554
They do get hot wearing them though, they have just the sleeves that you can put on your arms too. I hated wearing the half jackets. but they sure come in handy when welding overhead or when your laying on your back welding the sleeves are especially great for grinding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22618 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 07:18 AM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 4,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,612
Thanked 5,460 Times in 3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
It's looking good.

The ewheel will make tracking marks as soon as you don't support the sheet or if you force one side down as your pushing it through.

Did you use the wheel to make it have a compound curve or did you use the wheel to roll it into shape?
To roll/shape metal, use a go kart slick and it works just like a metal roller. You can radius a piece as long as you like this way.
Theres a slip roller at the shop but no go kart tires. My work piece went awry right from the start. I did not have a clear mental picture of what I wanted yet, and began to flatten the area by bumping. Wasn't paying enough attention and it got lumpy. Went to the wheel to uniform the area and thats when scrapes started to appear as the wheel skipped over dents. I have learned somewhat, how to tilt or push/pull/ support the work piece but did some of that inadvertently. I just wanted to make a fluent transition from rounded to flat. In my defense, there was a Bronco in the way in the wheel and roller corner. I was dodging it and being in a cramped spot is not how to do your best work. Kept telling myself no one can see this part and kept answering myself with I'm not trying to be fancy. Thanks for the eyes and words. I'll be moving along now, I would sincerely like to show an unexpected amount of progress this week (If the boss is happy...) so am glad I'll not be making trans humps all week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-27-2018)
  #22619 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM
rip-tide's Avatar
Magazines have “ISSUES”
 

Last journal entry: Looks good
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 939
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 323 Times in 234 Posts


Sunday, rainy but mild go out and drop the pan on the 34. Rolling along cleaning the parts, washed out the pan.



Using Felpro gasket pan set, ready to install the front seal ....... Road block, turns out the Felpro timing chain cover gasket is to wide.

The timing chain cover is a Summit cast aluminum product. So back into the house, a quick search, 2 sets ordered. One for now one for the future, should I need it.

I wish to make a small point here, for the Ebay/Amozon car part shoppers. This is a perfect example of why there the need to know your part source. Had the chain cover been purchased from one of those. Care to guess what the chances of getting the correct gasket might have been?
Food for thought when hunting parts .....



Then back out to the garage, with the seals ordered, coffee and a cigar, kicked back in a chair, feet up on the rear wheel.

Ended the project watching the grass grow ....... that happen when it rains don't-cha-know ........... big smile


Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	409562   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	409570   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	409578  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22620 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:20 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,754
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,640
Thanked 8,092 Times in 4,138 Posts
It was in the upper 70’s here last week Greg. Sitting with the garage doors open was one big, big treat. Enjoy while you can.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (1 members and 5 guests)
Too Many Projects
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 16 11-07-2015 05:26 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 04:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 16 07-03-2008 09:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 09:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 06:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.