The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1510 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
Get them! They are so awesome. Just as useful grinding as welding. The test will be in the summer but I can already tell it's a lot cooler than any good jacket or sweater that would protect my arms. My problem was, I have 2 sweaters I wear thru the week and the metal makes its way thru and then it gets itchy. And the neck slivers you feel instantly. This way I don't have to worry at all. Metal shavings are on that thing and that thing only.
In my best Yosemite Sam... I hates burr splinters. In your sock two weeks later and now deeper in your foot every step until you magnifying glass and tweeze it. My main thing with sleeves, and I'll usually wear a long sleeve T or hoody, is the light radiation. If a guy puts some thought into it before zapping he can mostly send slag another direction and keep the light off neck with a helmet. But I do find myself welding bare handed doing fab. Tacks or plugs, not stitches. I just destroy gloves immediately and can't keep a good pair.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,602 Posts
Wow, I miss a couple days and BAM !! Pugsy manages to turn a routine fluid change into a major overhaul and Brian buys a house he doesn't need for 2 years ??? IDJ is closing in on his floor and John makes 2 larger nostrils for easier breathing.
Speaking of IDJ, you are just teasing me with those Chevelle pics, aren't ya...

I spent most of Sunday digging out of another 5" snowfall on Saturday, plus raking over a foot of accumulated snow off the porch, garage and sunroom roofs. Yesterday, I finished more roof raking and the Chevelle I was working on for a friend. I loaded it on the trailer yesterday afternoon and delivered it back to him today. Then I had to put the trailer in the shop and wash the salt off and then the truck too. Whew, it's been a busy 3 days but no real car work done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-28-2018), idrivejunk (02-27-2018), John long (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:49 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
one got me in the gonads the other day. I had a slight tear in the crotch and it fell right in, so I got the full affect of the burn. At least if it burned thru the pants it would have cooled down some. The undies didn't really cool it down. OUCH! With the miller matic and 3m weld thru primer not a lot of spatter. It would have more spatter if I had it at the settings I like but the auto settings are damn good.
Been welding now 37 years and I did get a hot bee bee pass my welding apron back in the early 80's.. Down the pants it went..(Gonads) I was jammed in a tight hole welding and couldn't do nothing but take it like a man.. Could not get up out the hole fast enough..

Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post

"Sizzlers"... earwax boilers... they find a way too!
Had that happen today doing some welding on this today..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	409642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	409650   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00010.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	409658   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	409666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	409674  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-28-2018), boothboy (02-28-2018), idrivejunk (02-27-2018), John long (02-27-2018), MARTINSR (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Wow, I miss a couple days and BAM !! Pugsy manages to turn a routine fluid change into a major overhaul and Brian buys a house he doesn't need for 2 years ??? IDJ is closing in on his floor and John makes 2 larger nostrils for easier breathing.
Speaking of IDJ, you are just teasing me with those Chevelle pics, aren't ya...

I spent most of Sunday digging out of another 5" snowfall on Saturday, plus raking over a foot of accumulated snow off the porch, garage and sunroom roofs. Yesterday, I finished more roof raking and the Chevelle I was working on for a friend. I loaded it on the trailer yesterday afternoon and delivered it back to him today. Then I had to put the trailer in the shop and wash the salt off and then the truck too. Whew, it's been a busy 3 days but no real car work done.
Thats life's fun. You never really know who you're standing next to or what they will do next. Speaking of ahemyourchevellecough... Yeah man, what gives? Painter busy? Bought too many projects? But naw seriously... Slick is making nice on ol yeller there. I spent awhile coaching on the left fender. Its just toast, too many issues and patch fits real bad so we plan to consult the customer. I hear fenders are three bills. The owner was tickled that his old "packed it with the cheapest mud I could find" trunk lid jamb mess got patched without drama so I bet he gets a fender.

You are gonna have a double handful when your buddy is ready for the permanent fixing. Hopefully you can find a flat scrap panel to cut patches from by then. Speaking of double handfuls, you know what I say about the snow days... go throw snow where she can watch, then be in need of intensive warming when you come inside. Nudge, wink, hot drink? You all stay cozy, the cars will still be there when it melts. Meanwhile, theres this.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Had that happen today doing some welding on this today..

The exhaust note prolly shakes some wax loose too, thats wicked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (02-28-2018), NEW INTERIORS (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Yes it's a wicked car.. It will give you a ride..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Grand Prix User

A set of patterns from these pans might serve somebody somewhere some day...

Biscayne owner was observed mysteriously studying this AME chassis during a recent visit. Surely.... naw no way.

Here is four over-hyped pics. Ones I've been hankering something fierce though. Still am. What I want to see is all together like that and done plus under the back seat, etc. and all cleaned up for epoxy. Won't happen, it will be all apart when clean then ugly again after welding and blah blah blah hey I thought you said pictures, Matt.

Theres more but these are plenty. Funny story, first pic. Remember when I notched my left floor support half, in by the frame X where I think frame notch is required to use buckets?

Last thing, I was standing over the tunnel trying to get the driver's side down in the middle where it doesn't touch the support. See it? Yep, didn't reinforce my support rail notch sufficiently and it gave at some point. I whacked around more than I shoulda then got out to leave and saw it. Oh. Will jack that back in place asap.

The pleasant suprise I had was when that tunnel laid at just the right height simply sitting on it's edges on top of the inner floor support rail. See passenger side. Think I might just weld it that way. Was gonna put it on one side or use a flange strip but I can weld it like this and guess what? That meant just a few screws and I can think about other areas. That whole left half of the support structure is still just tacked, can't forget that. Maybe I can epoxy parts this week. I just go and do day by day. Here-

Four lousy pics of the same old thing. Its a sight for these eyes. I am about out of screws. Uh-oh! But yeah I'm getting her whittled down. If I wade through all the fab first, that makes it easier to determine how far you can take the rest of it, y'know?

Items laying on top of the tunnel were made for Floor Support Structure Version 1.0 but will not go to waste, nor will the front pans we bought that I plan to repurpose. I plan to box the contoured channel you see there with the other piece then fab sturdy angle brackets just like the forward support has. The boxed center brace section fits under the tunnel and connects at the heavy, welded L brackets in line with the front seat rear brace. Should be like stepping on concrete then. Revisions are sure to ensue when seats arrive. Boy that bare floor is slippery for trying to drive screws. We plan to hang the rearend chunk and eyeball driveshaft clearance then yank Butler and Hughes out for the next phase.

That'll do for a day. Good sharing with the lot of you, its a fun flow of today works. Catch you on the flipside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-28-2018), John long (02-28-2018), MARTINSR (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,286 Posts
Quote:
Just in case you didn't know, that is what you call a "Hot rod."

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,760 Times in 4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Randy is like a magnet for real hot rods. I doubt his welder would strike an arc on a cruiser. I also suspect his daily driver is not a mini van.

John
Old 02-28-2018, 12:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Randy is like a magnet for real hot rods. I doubt his welder would strike an arc on a cruiser. I also suspect his daily driver is not a mini van.

John
I'm thinking your right. Some stock Rambler pulls up and a gate closes before it can come in. LOL

Brian
Old 02-28-2018, 05:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Buddy of mine got a slag ball right on the pee hole. Dayum-nation I thought it was wierd when he jumped up and dropped trou right fast. He was OK with us laughing then but I heard the scar period was not unlike the showerhead on a CLR commercial.
OMG, Im having my wife make a leather jacket for my dear Willy. She loves Willy too. I wont post pictures of this little project.
That reminds me I got my little car off the trailer today forgot pictures though, too tired.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,760 Times in 4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post

That reminds me I got my little car off the trailer today forgot pictures though, too tired.
But....but....but....You promised...........
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

Brian
Is that what Marge told you to write?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:

Brian
Yeah, You better believe it!!!!!! Just hearing about poor little Willie getting a hot spark right in his one good eye is one Hot Rod I dont ever want.
The vet's cool too.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-28-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in