The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1513 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 10:40 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Looking real nice, Mitch. Great camera work too.

Man I just can't make a usual post today. Feeling doomed. Passed the point of being able to doubt that making it law that I have to buy health insurance was a fatal financal blow. It was. I am dead meat and just can't understand how what has been done could possibly be legal. Been dealing with it by steadily reducing life quality but they killed me dead this time. Sorry guys, best I can do. Grumpy alert. Those two positive sentences above might have to stretch for a spell but I meant them.
it's stories like this that pisses me off. I know a lot of people dealing with that mandate and it hurts them too. Damn nazis!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 11:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
yes. and still have 10 separate fingers .
making the panels was a pure pia . he arm rest i bought .
Thats awesome Shine. Im starting to find out I like doing this kind of work too and might get into it more. I'll need a lot more room at the shop though. I even toyed with the idea of working part time at an interior shop that does our stuff. Dont be shy post some brag pictures it looks great, I didnt know you were so good at it.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 02-28-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
slow day at the end of the month, pushing cars out. I just milked it and dirked around putting extra coats of filler on a 2 hour dent. Also the helper tore down a car and trammed it. When it got to me I knew something was off. Didn't have the upper tie bar or head lights but fender was pushed so far out and created a crease on the fender by the head light, a tail tell sign of upper rail shifted. I guess the factory thinks it's a good idea to give you specs off of the flimsy arse fender brackets on top of the rail. It was in spec at that lame point but not in the front. Had I not trammed it myself it's on me. No buckle or anything. No big deal, pogo stick will do. Also ordered some work gloves and welding gloves right off the matco truck with the company credit card. Man, that felt good.
Hey tech69,

Just got-a ask, when I read the word trammed. I think of a mill, and the alignment for the head and table .

Are you using it as the same, a reference for alignment of parts .....?...... pretty interesting if that is what it be.

Greg

Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post
Hey tech69,

Just got-a ask, when I read the word trammed. I think of a mill, and the alignment for the head and table .

Are you using it as the same, a reference for alignment of parts .....?...... pretty interesting if that is what it be.

Greg
Yes, it is a tool for measuring to determine if a body is square and the sides are the same length. This is a handheld tram. Some people refer to the gauges that hang off the underside to check for buckles in the unibody/frame as trams too.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,764 Times in 4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Looking real nice, Mitch. Great camera work too.

Man I just can't make a usual post today. Feeling doomed. Passed the point of being able to doubt that making it law that I have to buy health insurance was a fatal financal blow. It was. I am dead meat and just can't understand how what has been done could possibly be legal. Been dealing with it by steadily reducing life quality but they killed me dead this time. Sorry guys, best I can do. Grumpy alert. Those two positive sentences above might have to stretch for a spell but I meant them.
I am confused Matt. I thought they got rid of the mandate. Are you saying the mandate is killing you or that getting rid of the mandate made insurance unaffordable.

I hope I am not out of line. Just trying to undersand.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:40 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
They do get hot wearing them though, they have just the sleeves that you can put on your arms too. I hated wearing the half jackets. but they sure come in handy when welding overhead or when your laying on your back welding the sleeves are especially great for grinding.
the sleeves were an option and probably keep you cooler in the summer but how cool would I look with sleeves and a scarf? not a good look.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Yes, it is a tool for measuring to determine if a body is square and the sides are the same length. This is a handheld tram. Some people refer to the gauges that hang off the underside to check for buckles in the unibody/frame as trams too.

yes, short for tram gauge. For big hits we measure them on a measuring system but for door openings and especially front end hits I like using them. Just a quick check. Anywho, the factory didn't give a spec at the tip of the rail, which is what I checked. They're so flimsy on a lot of cars a simple pogo stick will fix it. Unbelievable that the manufacture would give you specs off a dinky tiny bracket that you can easily manipulate with your hand. Great example of picking and choosing solid points to check, even against manufacture recommendations.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,604 Times in 2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I am confused Matt. I thought they got rid of the mandate. Are you saying the mandate is killing you or that getting rid of the mandate made insurance unaffordable.

I hope I am not out of line. Just trying to undersand.

John
You're fine sir. The first year it was law, I did not buy and the tax penalty was hundreds. Monthly payment $100. My tax lady warned me next year the punishment is thousands. I signed up. The next year it was 200/mo. I could not afford the first year so they doubled it, I guess. This year, again as far as I know I will pay whatever they charge or be slapped with a fine big enough for a good used car. Its over 300 a month now, and thats with them paying 400. A month. I don't use it, medical care has always been out of reach. Forcing it on me means curtains. I better start country shopping because this one just cowed me out. Retired people give me blank stares on this. People with normal income can't imagine why I struggle. But I assure you its a real problem and its just absolutely ridiculous from my point of view. I have learned compliance is the only answer, complaints only undermine my credibility further. All this is old news, Feb 2018 is just the end of the line. I have no idea how to solve. As I said, changing countries would be the only way I know to fix, and thats out of the question. I had to let myself speak it. If I can find a buyer for one of the cars real quick I could stay afloat a bit longer. All I can do is shake my head and go to work. Right now. If I can't be nice I'll be scarce. Deal? Hope I answered the question. If I'm missing something.... well that must be it.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Grand Prix User

John, sorry. Sentence with $100 in it goes after the sentence saying I signed up. No time for proper edit.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,603 Posts
I thought Trump had eliminated the penalties, not the mandate, just the ridiculous fines for not paying thru the nose for insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:27 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

the irs is refusing to accept it. when i did my taxes my accountant still had to make sure we were covered. my bride and godson are covered under her retirement ins. it just went up over 40% and the deductible went to 3000 . so unless it is something catastrophic they have no insurance . i'm on medicare but i am forced to have a prescription drug policy even though i take no medications. if this doesn't wake folks up nothing will .
Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Thats awesome Shine. Im starting to find out I like doing this kind of work too and might get into it more. I'll need a lot more room at the shop though. I even toyed with the idea of working part time at an interior shop that does our stuff. Dont be shy post some brag pictures it looks great, I didnt know you were so good at it.
it's fun to do but turns into work when i have to get into the truck. this is a little guys work. no room for me inside .
i bought a machine then built a small table but found it was only good for sewing. i bought a ping pong table to do the cutting and such on . works awesome and folds up out of the way .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_085051 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	410233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_143718.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	410241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170116_133747666.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	410249   Click image for larger version

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	410273  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-01-2018), deadbodyman (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I thought Trump had eliminated the penalties, not the mandate, just the ridiculous fines for not paying thru the nose for insurance.
This must be the thing I missed. Either no notification was given, which would not be suprising, or I missed it. Don't have TV. Either way the song is the same for this year. Best solution I have is to yank the 455 and sell it. Bad for my health thinking about it and all I want is to give my buds a heads up because I know me. Volatility did not come to me naturally but I have it now. If some gets on any of you, please bear this in mind.

Ending up using the flange strip attachment method for the 59 Catalina driveshaft tunnel because it slopes downward to the rear as-is. Mocking up a driveshaft began last week but stopped I don't know why. But this method allows changing that tilt later simply if need be. Soon as I pin down the tunnel position, I'll box that brace and get it connected. Then I can take pans out and finish the support left half and think epoxy or more fab.

Just gotta keep work front burnered here, but also figure something out. Distractions are my friends.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 PM

got the back of the car lowered but not enough , try again tommorow
it will actually be easy , its got really thich sping isolators in it , ima just replace the m with some thin ones and it should level the car out

before

and this is after

and a video , she sounds good with thechanges i made on the motor and turbo change
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfzCEYEB...en-by=rider._x

Last edited by Project89; 03-01-2018 at 05:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,764 Times in 4,039 Posts
I sand blasted the exhaust manifolds today. actually, this is the second time but I wasn't satisfied the first time and I had put new media in the blast cabinet.

Tomorrow, i will try to cure them. Maybe putting them in front of the Reddy Heater. I have been warned NOT to put them in the oven....Comments?

John

While I was about it, i went ahead and blasted the air cleaner too. It will be fun to see it painted.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-01-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (03-01-2018), Rip VW (03-02-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »