The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1514 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,657 Posts
have you had the passengers side on the motor while in the car,,yhat is the side I had problems with with a Nova/Camaro clip..drivers side was close but not a problem..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user116882_pic1306_1353811094.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	410289   Click image for larger version

Name:	user116882_pic1308_1353978278.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	410297  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,961 Times in 4,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
have you had the passengers side on the motor while in the car,,yhat is the side I had problems with with a Nova/Camaro clip..drivers side was close but not a problem..
I would have had problems if I had not raised the engine an inch. If it had not been for raising the engine, I would have had to find a set of '69 Camaro manifolds that were dimpled fot the upper control arm clearance.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,984 Times in 2,949 Posts
About your manifold coating, I got nothing. Looks fine so far to me. A silly thought about the air cleaner... That would make a good cake for a rodder. As a cake it would be simple and could look fairly authentic. Can you tell looking at nude metal makes me go omnomnomnom? It does and that do. When you posted a pic of the cleaner on the engine it brought to mind many cached mental images of old ads and literature and I think it will do same for others. It says "Stock but gutsy." and is way more intriguing than other options. Nice choice and work, keep it up.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
About your manifold coating, I got nothing. Looks fine so far to me. A silly thought about the air cleaner... That would make a good cake for a rodder. As a cake it would be simple and could look fairly authentic. Can you tell looking at nude metal makes me go omnomnomnom? It does and that do. When you posted a pic of the cleaner on the engine it brought to mind many cached mental images of old ads and literature and I think it will do same for others. It says "Stock but gutsy." and is way more intriguing than other options. Nice choice and work, keep it up.
You expressed exactly what I am hoping for. A custom that looks like a stock muscle optioned car. It just seemed like something that would be unique and a bit of an eye catcher but also not break the bank.

If it doesn't work out, I'll buy the chrome goodies later.

John

The cake idea is great. My wife used to make custom cakes. A dual snorkal birthday cake with 396 Turbo Jet 365 HP sticker decorated on it would be really cool.

Last edited by John long; 03-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.
idrivejunk (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Grand Prix User

Well I think I'll just sell the GT. It and the 455 have similar values. GT is a backup DD and a second car to my folks. Had it since July of 09 and do NOT want to lose it but damage control is the name of the game here. So onward without a peep and heres catching up on distractions of the pleasant kind.

Today's mood bender was ah, Van Halen's Sunday Afternoon in the Park.

I gotta work fast to get this all in and touch the bases. Here are updates on a couple you have seen that I am not involved it. They are both good interesting stuff though. Without even trying, just whipping out the phone as I walk by, I'm getting a fair walkthrough of a Corvette fender replacement which is something not seen everyday. Back to show 'iac shortly. I say the Chevelle quarter repairs rate not too shabby. A bit of off dolly slapping, perhaps a few studs and good to go mud stage.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,469 Times in 2,019 Posts
I got the transmission back in the car.
Shocks and one coil spring out and one exhaust tube flared.....one of everything....will never finish anything...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4467.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	410305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4476.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	410313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4479.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	410321  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-01-2018), idrivejunk (03-01-2018), John long (03-02-2018), Rip VW (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Well I think I'll just sell the GT. It and the 455 have similar values. GT is a backup DD and a second car to my folks. Had it since July of 09 and do NOT want to lose it but damage control is the name of the game here. So onward without a peep and heres catching up on distractions of the pleasant kind
Before you sell anything Matt check into the penalties for not buying the mandated insurance. If we are right, you can now choose whether or not to buy the insurance without fear of penalty by the government.

John
idrivejunk (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Shocks and one coil spring out and one exhaust tube flared.....one of everything....will never finish anything...
So, are we to believe this is more fun than tiling the bathroom?

John
idrivejunk (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 PM

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-01-2018), John long (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I know that feeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
LOL you remind me of a dog at the park... gotta get everything sniffed real good in a hurry! Simmer down. Easy, Pugsy. You really were exploding with automotive enthusiasm weren't you? Don't try to gobble it all at once, I know how it is. When I got my GP I was between jobs for a month and it was a glorious hardcore flurry of just what you're doing now. I recall it fondly.

Here is the juicy of today, for me. The little artist in my head stepped out and tapped me on the shoulder when I took these. He looked around to be sure we were alone then said Matt, thats beautiful and went back in. I was suprised to see the vaguely organic tapered shape that emerged. I just hope its what we need. Part of the organic look I guess is all the woodgrain-esque wrong bends and re bends on that tunnel. And yes the Bronco got me again at the bead roller... see rear of overlap seam on right side.

I tucked the outside edges of the tunnel inside the support rails and added these flange strips made of Biscayne quarter scraps. One side still has black on top. So that was Turbo Jet cake and I really like it. Next is that brace under it to link the halves of the structure. Looking at this one detail shot and counting pieces, appreciating the fitment of it all, I am not sweating the plug weld phase but do feel quite relieved and just as proud of this floor as can be. Am I sweating the inner bucket seat bolts that I predict will fall smack in the middle of that super busy area? You betcha. Check the mark indicating steering column location. See last pic full size, at front of seat pan, in black.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-02-2018), Too Many Projects (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Before you sell anything Matt check into the penalties for not buying the mandated insurance. If we are right, you can now choose whether or not to buy the insurance without fear of penalty by the government.

John
Too little too late, as are the bosses' noble efforts. Signed up in November, its only open for enrollment one month a year. This would open up options for next year though. I think I understand how I did not know if the penalty was removed. They must send me a 5 gal pail of paper a year more than I can read. One thing is for certain, no insurance company would let you know.

The GTP will bend a rod an hour after the GT is gone, of course. But theres a spare engine with half the miles waiting cluttering up my stall. Its just gonna be another year of scarcity BS and thats just my life now. I'll try harder this year but recent years have broke my spirit and I really don't care what my comfort level is as long as I can fix cool junk. Only theres that pesky mortgage thingy every month, y'know? Ack. My wrist trouble still contributes to the feeling of just lack of well being. That thing scares me when it bites, not the sharp sudden pain, numbness, and dropping things but the money implications. So I growl when issues pile up. Thanks for wanting to understand, I don't communicate very clearly by default and am a horrible listener. Not you though, and you've got manners. Obliged to you and David and Mitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You expressed exactly what I am hoping for. A custom that looks like a stock muscle optioned car. It just seemed like something that would be unique and a bit of an eye catcher but also not break the bank.

If it doesn't work out, I'll buy the chrome goodies later.

John

The cake idea is great. My wife used to make custom cakes. A dual snorkal birthday cake with 396 Turbo Jet 365 HP sticker decorated on it would be really cool.
Tell whoever you get to call her with the idea behind your back... where to find your sticker and just don't get icing on it. Or set it on Turbo Fire with candles. On second thought you better just ask for a bd present extra sticker.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,821 Times in 2,660 Posts
Quote:
Too little too late, as are the bosses' noble efforts. Signed up in November, its only open for enrollment one month a year. This would open up options for next year though. I think I understand how I did not know if the penalty was removed. They must send me a 5 gal pail of paper a year more than I can read. One thing is for certain, no insurance company would let you know.

The GTP will bend a rod an hour after the GT is gone, of course. But theres a spare engine with half the miles waiting cluttering up my stall. Its just gonna be another year of scarcity BS and thats just my life now. I'll try harder this year but recent years have broke my spirit and I really don't care what my comfort level is as long as I can fix cool junk. Only theres that pesky mortgage thingy every month, y'know? Ack. My wrist trouble still contributes to the feeling of just lack of well being. That thing scares me when it bites, not the sharp sudden pain, numbness, and dropping things but the money implications. So I growl when issues pile up. Thanks for wanting to understand, I don't communicate very clearly by default and am a horrible listener. Not you though, and you've got manners. Obliged to you and David and Mitch.
Only human nature to get crabby over financial stress.
I don't like to read that you need to sell personal belongings to meet stupid federal regulations that should NEVER have happened in the first place.

We bought this place 18 years ago....went a quarter million in debt overnight. We were doing OK on our own but we both had parents die who had the forethought to save money. It sucks having gotten funds that way, but we paid off the mortgage instead of blowing it on unneeded things, well, we did go on vacation, but we try to do that every winter to escape the cold for a short while.
We also managed to pay for 4 years of college for our son, so he doesn't have to start out with a huge student loan debt. My wife started a college fund for him when he was just little and that helped immensely toward the cost.
We feel blessed to be in the position we are in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Only human nature to get crabby over financial stress.
I don't like to read that you need to sell personal belongings to meet stupid federal regulations that should NEVER have happened in the first place.

We bought this place 18 years ago....went a quarter million in debt overnight. We were doing OK on our own but we both had parents die who had the forethought to save money. It sucks having gotten funds that way, but we paid off the mortgage instead of blowing it on unneeded things, well, we did go on vacation, but we try to do that every winter to escape the cold for a short while.
We also managed to pay for 4 years of college for our son, so he doesn't have to start out with a huge student loan debt. My wife started a college fund for him when he was just little and that helped immensely toward the cost.
We feel blessed to be in the position we are in.
You are indeed. I have been burned out for most of my car fixing career and I only say that to explain how my own needs are at the bottom of my totem pole. I have learned to panic less but these giant things that can crush me so easy are impossible to endure without discussion. So I warned my buddies at work too. Not to cut me slack but to beware of friendly fire, if you will. I've paid for my house twice (the sale price vs payments made) and only have to do it once more.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in