The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1516 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2018, 07:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

still not happy with it
this was from yesterdy

and today with another roughly 3/4 inch more drop

i feel like it still needs to come down more

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,658 Times in 2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Curious why you changed the springs...
As soon as I see spacers/risers, I feel they are there for a reason.
Springs are cheap and I was changing the leaking shocks anyways. Do it all at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4379.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	410537  
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,021 Times in 4,113 Posts
I had a real fiasco today heat treating the manifolds I painted.

Since I was afraid they would stink up the house and oven I appropriated the barbeque grill for the job. The first cycle to 200 degrees went well. Cooled for 30 minutes and treated at 400 degrees. Life is good at this point and after cooling for the instructed 30 minutes I started the 600 degree cycle.

It was very windy today and I could only get the barbie up to 450. While trying to make wind breaks to shield it.... ....poof. Ran out of propane.

Drastic situations require drastic measures. To the wife's oven I went.......

Actually, it went well and apparently the first two cycles had cooked the fumes and chemicals out of it. There was very little odor and my wife still loves me. (I think)

John

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-02-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (03-02-2018), idrivejunk (03-02-2018), MARTINSR (03-02-2018), Too Many Projects (03-03-2018)

Old 03-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,293 Times in 3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I got that way with money a while ago too. When I reached 55, I realized that I wasn't ever going to be rich for all the hours I put in or be able to retire early, so I backed off and started finding more time for personal interests. Now I p!$$ away 10-$15 a week on lottery tickets... Probably a better chance of winning that than earning enough to realize all my late life desires...
I've quoted Marshall Dillon before saying if a man grows not in the presence of a woman, he grows crooked. Like a tree on a mountain, crooked. Still a tree just crooked. Taking this job was an emergency measure and here I am seven years in as of now. A woman would not tolerate that. Be glad you are who you are.

In an ironic twist, Dad won eleven grand on a sixty eight cent bet while I was getting steamed. Today I balanced the checking account and well damn... put the grocery cash I got yesterday right back in and mailed off all but the biggie. Folks do want shed of the GT. I want sleep and to think. All 3 GPs need oil changes.

I don't like hearing news of somebody messing with your shop, not one bit. Can you do a bit of tracking perhaps or check for fngerprints? Talk to neighbors, maybe cops too. Theres no reason to go Fort Knox if theres a couple kids that somebody else caught trying stuff. I don't know how rural your place is or isn't but if nobody around had anything else happen I'd be sure to save a bottle of rage for loud clear angry mention of it next club meet. If any clues exist, I'd be finding them too.

I don't have any pics of what I did today but you ain't missing much. Painter kept progressing on the vette though, and (remember?) the guy with the black SS396 sent me a couple progress pics.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-02-2018), John long (03-02-2018), MARTINSR (03-02-2018), Too Many Projects (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post

In an ironic twist, Dad won eleven grand on a sixty eight cent bet while I was getting steamed. Today I balanced the checking account and well damn... put the grocery cash I got yesterday right back in and mailed off all but the biggie. Folks do want shed of the GT. I want sleep and to think. All 3 GPs need oil changes.
Now you know I don't believe everything is a coincidence. Do you see Somebodies hand in this? (Notice Somebody is spelled with a capital S).

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-02-2018), MARTINSR (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Sure is Chevy heavy in here... ripe for somebody to come in swinging a Ford
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
mjgord51 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:31 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Now you know I don't believe everything is a coincidence. Do you see Somebodies hand in this? (Notice Somebody is spelled with a capital S).

John

I don't believe in chance but do luck. He and Dad are like peas in a pod, sure. This is one of the areas people don't get, about me. Moms first thought was same as yours and I gently deflected it. Their SUV recently passed the age and miles Dad feels comfortable trusting, especially with faraway kinfolk dropping like flies. Thats my take on it, and now I am supposed to act suprised when he tells the story face to face. I hate it when ladies share something then say now thats a secret. But I am crooked. I still want to eat that air cleaner.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
I don't believe in chance but do luck. He and Dad are like peas in a pod, sure. This is one of the areas people don't get, about me. Moms first thought was same as yours and I gently deflected it. Their SUV recently passed the age and miles Dad feels comfortable trusting, especially with faraway kinfolk dropping like flies. Thats my take on it, and now I am supposed to act suprised when he tells the story face to face. I hate it when ladies share something then say now thats a secret. But I am crooked. I still want to eat that air cleaner.
I think you should quit deflecting and start believing myself........ Tell your mom I'm on her side?

LOL, i came across a picture of the origional Precious. Here is the car behind the drawing my friend did. It was my training project when I built my English Wheel!

John

BTW, I traded a 35 dollar Desoto grill bar for her and sold her for 1700 after playing with her for a few months. Neat to get paid for learning how to use the E Wheel.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-03-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (03-03-2018), idrivejunk (03-03-2018), MARTINSR (03-02-2018), tech69 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,892 Times in 4,389 Posts
Soooooooo, what did I work on today? Well, well, well, um, how about a squeaky front end. The best tech in the place, a guy that does ANYTHING and is basically my brother at the shop screwed up for the first time so he has to erase all my screw ups from his brain, that was an order from me. LOL This guy does ANYTHING asked of him and is the most hard working guy I have ever seen so I am not knocking him believe me, it was a simple human error, but so damn odd it's crazy. This car came back after being repaired a few months ago, there was a "clicking" sound in the front end, ok. I put it up on the rack and was looking at the front end we replaced and went to the other side to compare something and......I am like........WTF? The friggin thing had a metal control arm on one side and an aluminum one on the other! Anyway, I went to the estimate and found that there were two, you picked from the production date and I had chosen the right one from the production date yet it was wrong. The dealer said that by the vin it was the wrong one, huh? Anyway, of course I believe the dealer more than the estimate software but damn! The dealer ate it saying they were wrong to send it but the parts guy checked it in, the tech installed it, so here we are. I ordered the correct one and he was more than happy to get that sucker swapped. LOL But it still had the noise, CRAP. After a BUNCH of work we found that it was the strut bearing that was rotated a little and was hitting the strut shaft! It was again, just a human error, a very odd human error so it was so damn nice to find and the very last thing we did was drive the car today, just drive it down the street, done deal, fixed! A great way to end the week solving this stupid cluster mistake! WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4573.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	410545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4574.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	410553  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-03-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (03-03-2018), idrivejunk (03-03-2018), John long (03-03-2018), tech69 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:16 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

we had our monthly shop meeting and we only hit 375k this month. Last month we were the shop of the month for our region. They mentioned something about surveys and said we were platinum at that but silver in sales, whatever that means. Something must have went right cause for the second month in a row we're getting a catering truck. I'm happy as ever. Our team is doing the biggest hits in the shop and we got helpers and when it's slow we're not the ones being sent home. They've really gone out of their way to accommodate me. I'm trying to thank them by working hard and having a good attitude. It's weird how a change of scenery can change so much for you. Tomorrow I go to blue collar to stock up on some aluminum before prices jump.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I think you should quit deflecting and start believing myself........ Tell your mom I'm on her side?

LOL, i came across a picture of the origional Precious. Here is the car behind the drawing my friend did. It was my training project when I built my English Wheel!

John

Now are you ready to be told what I think you should do concerning Jesus?

If that sounds smartmouthed, read what you wrote again sir. We are both adults so lets play fair.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Soooooooo, what did I work on today? Well, well, well, um, how about a squeaky front end. The best tech in the place, a guy that does ANYTHING and is basically my brother at the shop screwed up for the first time so he has to erase all my screw ups from his brain, that was an order from me. LOL This guy does ANYTHING asked of him and is the most hard working guy I have ever seen so I am not knocking him believe me, it was a simple human error, but so damn odd it's crazy. This car came back after being repaired a few months ago, there was a "clicking" sound in the front end, ok. I put it up on the rack and was looking at the front end we replaced and went to the other side to compare something and......I am like........WTF? The friggin thing had a metal control arm on one side and an aluminum one on the other! Anyway, I went to the estimate and found that there were two, you picked from the production date and I had chosen the right one from the production date yet it was wrong. The dealer said that by the vin it was the wrong one, huh? Anyway, of course I believe the dealer more than the estimate software but damn! The dealer ate it saying they were wrong to send it but the parts guy checked it in, the tech installed it, so here we are. I ordered the correct one and he was more than happy to get that sucker swapped. LOL But it still had the noise, CRAP. After a BUNCH of work we found that it was the strut bearing that was rotated a little and was hitting the strut shaft! It was again, just a human error, a very odd human error so it was so damn nice to find and the very last thing we did was drive the car today, just drive it down the street, done deal, fixed! A great way to end the week solving this stupid cluster mistake! WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
We have an on sight mechanic for that and even though suspension jobs pay crap I miss doing it. If I happen to be tearing the car down, which is rare, I still will take my green pen and highlight what needs to be replaced, jiggle the wheel around, pry around. It's fun but that's where my fun stops in that area. Not fun when it doesn't align and nobody's getting paid to take it back apart, but I can totally understand your joy to get it figured out so the customer has their car on Friday, and there was probably a lot of pressure to figure out. Sometimes they can be a pain, a real pain! I still miss it for the sake of being well rounded. I still got my suspension tools.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Now are you ready to be told what I think you should do concerning Jesus?

If that sounds smartmouthed, read what you wrote again sir. We are both adults so lets play fair.
Matt, I have read what I wrote several times and don't understand what was offensive.

Concerning Jesus. He is just as much your Jesus as he is mine. He loves you just as much as He loves me. God does not love Christions because they love him. Christians love God because He loved them first. That's why there is a Jesus.

The only differance is I believe scripture is the word of God and we who believe are eternally safed by the blood he shed on the cross.

I fully understand this is a car forum and not designed for a religious debate so I will leave it at that. It just hurts me.

John
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-03-2018), cozwurth (03-03-2018), idrivejunk (03-03-2018), NEW INTERIORS (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Matt, I have read what I wrote several times and don't understand what was offensive.

Concerning Jesus. He is just as much your Jesus as he is mine. He loves you just as much as He loves me. God does not love Christions because they love him. Christians love God because He loved them first. That's why there is a Jesus.

The only differance is I believe scripture is the word of God and we who believe are eternally safed by the blood he shed on the cross.

I fully understand this is a car forum and not designed for a religious debate so I will leave it at that. It just hurts me.

John
John, you told me that you think I should stop deflecting and start believing. It hurts me to know that you still think I don't believe. Monotheistic religion was once a crazy idea that would, at very least, damage one's standing within the community as a righteous man. We here who think of God and breathe are in eternal debt to our sponsor without whom none of this would be possible. With me so far? I want to clear this up because you kinda keep asking for it and pointing to me in your own way.

Jesus is the proof that man can be with God and is our inspiration to try to reach Him. Man's documentation of this proof falls short and relies on faith. I am cynical and free to look beyond just that. My quest for knowledge did not stop with the bible. John, what I believe does not conflict with the Bible. That bears repeating... I believe the bible. I have been washed in the blood. OK?

The understanding I have requires little faith because things filtered out by period politics in the bible have logical answers and I found them. The spiritual discomfort of questions not answered that kept me at arm's length from the truth... have vanished. I will not suggest that what works for me is what you ought to do. Beliefs are sacred, not to be tossed about or influenced. Thats how I see it. As for prayer, I see it not as a tool to be abused by overly frequent usage requesting favor for loved ones. More as a thanks button if you will. To think that God has to be made aware of individuals's trials places the pray-er in a presumptuous light. I believe that when its our turn to speak, we know it and will pray. My faith comes from my own experiences and without a shadow of doubt I know answers are there for the asking. But I wish to be a mighty soul and advance mankind toward love and light, and don't think God smiles upon frequent routine request prayers any more than those more seldom and sacred, directed at mankind's well being vs that of those who matter to us individually.

Just stop pointing out that I define prayer differently than you do, please. Because sometimes what you say seems to lead the reader to a false conclusion about me. I surely thank you for your understanding and hope I have been clear enough because I too want to leave it at that. Dad can share with me but I'd rather he did things for him first. Have a dab of faith in br'er me. I need a beer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (03-03-2018), John long (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Grand Prix User

In the interest of providing a segway topic.... maybe not real interesting but I was digging in dusty jpgs myself this morning.

Chevelles! Boy I wish I still had one. GP is pretty much a Chevelle underneath though. These are the ones I had in high school. You all

prolly seen em before. At the time, my cuz had two. They were everywhere. Don't see any more-doors or wagons on the road anymore though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-03-2018), John long (03-03-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« How cool is this | - »