The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1519 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2018, 01:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

i got her leveled

please somone tell me how lowering it another .5 inch would be bad. so i dont do it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
i got her leveled

please somone tell me how lowering it another .5 inch would be bad. so i dont do it
What about weight transfer on Launch.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
What about weight transfer on Launch.
it should be fine were it is , its got drag springs in the front and good struts but yeah prolly not a good idea to come down anymore . tht reminds me i need to put the travel limiters on the front
The Following User Says Thank You to Project89 For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-05-2018)

Old 03-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,602 Posts
I worked on recovering the sail panel for the '66 chevelle I set on fire a couple weeks ago... I sprayed both parts with 3M glue and let sit for 15 minutes. Then I used wax paper to leave just a 2" gap for initial contact without trying to hold the fabric away as I smoothed it out. I was able to place the cardboard accurately with the fabric down, but then turned it over and pulled 1 piece of paper out at a time and held the fabric up as I squeegeed it down. It worked great, but I was gun shy with the glue on the edges of the fabric and I had to re-spray them and put weight on to get them to adhere. Everything looks good at this point and I am letting it dry overnight before folding the sides over to be glued down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-05-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (03-05-2018), boothboy (03-06-2018), idrivejunk (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,911 Posts
Quote:
i got her leveled

It would suck big time to go lower unless you like driving around in something people tell you looks great when it really doesn't.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Purists Hate Me

I got the oil changed but can't tell if there's any knocking with the open pipes.

Tranny seems to be shifting and no fluid leaks so should be a success.

Ball joints next. What happens if I break the ball joints apart from the spindle with the coil springs not compressed? Big bang? Damage? Flying things? If my tranny jack is under the control arm doing this, will the spring push the car up off the hoist when it lets go?

Tips?
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I got the oil changed but can't tell if there's any knocking with the open pipes.

Ball joints next. What happens if I break the ball joints apart from the spindle with the coil springs not compressed? Big bang? Damage? Flying things? If my tranny jack is under the control arm doing this, will the spring push the car up off the hoist when it lets go?

Tips?
Tool rentL AT LOCAL PARTS HOUSE , free if you return the spring compressor or you can keep it for the deposit,,i would not attempt it without one,,

get the type that goes thru the center of coil spring where shock bolt goes,,Do Not yse the type with the J hoohs on the outside ,,DANGEROUS
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Tips?
I back the nuts off a couple turns and then whack the spindle with the spring pressure pulling down to help pop them loose. Once the taper seat has let go, use the jack to compress the spring some again and pull the top nut off and change the upper ball joint. Attach the upper joint into the spindle again and remove the bottom nut and hold the spindle up out of the way with a bungee cord. The bottom one is pressed into the arm and can be a PITA to get out with the arm on the car, but if you have an impact hammer, they can be "persuaded" to drop out. Once the new ball joint is started in the arm, attach the spindle again and remove the jack, allowing the spring to help pull the joint into the arm, while tapping around the perimeter. You won't have any problem with the joints/spindle separating with the weight of the car on the jack.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-05-2018), idrivejunk (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Tool rentL AT LOCAL PARTS HOUSE , free if you return the spring compressor or you can keep it for the deposit,,i would not attempt it without one,,

get the type that goes thru the center of coil spring where shock bolt goes,,Do Not yse the type with the J hoohs on the outside ,,DANGEROUS
I have a 3 ft length of 9/16 all thread rod and plates I made to hold the arms while doing this with no weight on the chassis, such as a roller. Just back the nuts off until the spring has relaxed or there is enough room to remove the ball joints as necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
i got her leveled

Looks good! That little rake will keep air out from under it at speed.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

Tips?
Mitch has you covered, sounds like. With engine and trans in she won't hop when it pops. My GP has kinda long control arms but with the bigger jack stands I have, all the way up, I can gently lower the arm with jack (I like plywood between me and spring just in case), and when its all the way down the spring is just barely loaded. I bump it out with my heel, pry tool puts it back. You could put a chain around the frame and run it through the coils so it don't bite. Use your head, be safe. Note clock position of spring, esp at top.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I worked on recovering the sail panel for the '66 chevelle I set on fire a couple weeks ago... I sprayed both parts with 3M glue and let sit for 15 minutes. Then I used wax paper to leave just a 2" gap for initial contact without trying to hold the fabric away as I smoothed it out. I was able to place the cardboard accurately with the fabric down, but then turned it over and pulled 1 piece of paper out at a time and held the fabric up as I squeegeed it down. It worked great, but I was gun shy with the glue on the edges of the fabric and I had to re-spray them and put weight on to get them to adhere. Everything looks good at this point and I am letting it dry overnight before folding the sides over to be glued down.
Looks like you got er did. Where I hail from we calls them things earmuffs. Only you can prevent Chevelle fires. I hates gluing anything. Don't mind panel bonding but weatherstrips, headliners and such... no fun.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:

Thanks.

J hooks are my favorite. I used those to install the rear springs.

I popped the top free. I had my tranny jack about 8" down below the spindle with a wadded up blanket on top. It only popped about an inch and a half downwards.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I back the nuts off a couple turns and then whack the spindle with the spring pressure pulling down to help pop them loose. Once the taper seat has let go, use the jack to compress the spring some again and pull the top nut off and change the upper ball joint. Attach the upper joint into the spindle again and remove the bottom nut and hold the spindle up out of the way with a bungee cord. The bottom one is pressed into the arm and can be a PITA to get out with the arm on the car, but if you have an impact hammer, they can be "persuaded" to drop out. Once the new ball joint is started in the arm, attach the spindle again and remove the jack, allowing the spring to help pull the joint into the arm, while tapping around the perimeter. You won't have any problem with the joints/spindle separating with the weight of the car on the jack.
Thanks.

That's what I did for the top, worked fine.
Damn, I thought I was gonna get these changed without taking off the brakes. Backing plate grabs the lower control arm trying to lift the spindle out.

The top joint was still good. No play in it when I wiggle it by hand. Amazing for 49 years old. The original rivets were still there.

I have an installer tool to put the lowers back in.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Mitch has you covered, sounds like. With engine and trans in she won't hop when it pops. My GP has kinda long control arms but with the bigger jack stands I have, all the way up, I can gently lower the arm with jack (I like plywood between me and spring just in case), and when its all the way down the spring is just barely loaded. I bump it out with my heel, pry tool puts it back. You could put a chain around the frame and run it through the coils so it don't bite. Use your head, be safe. Note clock position of spring, esp at top.
Thanks.

Working on a hoist. Never mind all this bending over. Except at the end I guess. I will need to lower the car's weight down to get everything back together.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-05-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in