The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1532 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,103 Times in 4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
You got a thank you from me hitting the wrong button..LOL..

Like I did on the 57 with the front body mount.. I also cut it down some..

I wouldn't want you to give me a "thank you" when I don't deserve it, that's not right. People with much better posts go thankless, we need to keep the thank yous ONLY for the very best, and not take it for granted, the free world is depending on us to be "thank you" proper!

Randy, you can hit the "Thanks" button again and it will remove it.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-15-2018), NEW INTERIORS (03-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
As far as the gaps go we used electric welding rods for gaps and never used anything bigger than that no matter how thick the metal was but the thickest I ever welded was 1/2 " -5/8 or so.
I think about 1/16 gap or slightly wider would work best on that, 1/8 may be too much.
I got all hung up on doing pretty welds too and had that mastered but when I went to welding school I found out fast, pretty dont always mean good when I did the bend test. It took a while before I could spot when a weld is getting good penitration my teacher kept coming back and showing me until I finally got it. He didnt want to see any more pretty welds from me or he'd fail them on sight. So I welded for about a month like that before I could move on, but I got it.
Getting them right was a PITA for me because everything I thought I knew for the past 30years was getting in the way.
It was a two year class and was actually kind of fun but after welding 6 hrs a day for 2yrs I realized I didnt want to weld for a living but I learned a lot and never regretted it.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,566 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I wouldn't want you to give me a "thank you" when I don't deserve it, that's not right. People with much better posts go thankless, we need to keep the thank yous ONLY for the very best, and not take it for granted, the free world is depending on us to be "thank you" proper!

Brian
Somebody had to say it.........

Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,267 Times in 3,624 Posts
Sam, thats certainly reasonable. Anything over 16 gauge is walking on the moon for me at this point. My sheetmetal work has never really been anything like "real" welding. My only defense is... its only a body mount.

Randy, that looks cool. I may trash the bracket I made and go the simple route. Chassis guy says it could be simpler. I am not at liberty to create a new mount pocket on the body though. Just gotta have something under it. If we make covers it will likely be after the hard stuff is done and theres money left. If not, oh well. Its crying to be covered up though so I bet the mount pocket gets a cover.

Thanks for the cool replies, all. I am on trans hump now.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:18 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
LOL... It's all good Brian.. I hit the wrong button and didn't even realize you can remove it..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,956 Posts
Pugs, you get your brake light to go out ? There is a way to reset the pin in the distribution block, if that is what has been tripped. They don't go back by themselves...
Old 03-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
As far as the gaps go we used electric welding rods for gaps and never used anything bigger than that no matter how thick the metal was but the thickest I ever welded was 1/2 " -5/8 or so.
I think about 1/16 gap or slightly wider would work best on that, 1/8 may be too much.
I got all hung up on doing pretty welds too and had that mastered but when I went to welding school I found out fast, pretty dont always mean good when I did the bend test. It took a while before I could spot when a weld is getting good penitration my teacher kept coming back and showing me until I finally got it. He didnt want to see any more pretty welds from me or he'd fail them on sight. So I welded for about a month like that before I could move on, but I got it.
Getting them right was a PITA for me because everything I thought I knew for the past 30years was getting in the way.
It was a two year class and was actually kind of fun but after welding 6 hrs a day for 2yrs I realized I didnt want to weld for a living but I learned a lot and never regretted it.
Lol, ex stick welder here as well, we called them rods that filled the gap, gapcraft rods. Did a lot of galv welding, fumes still haunt me to this day. Did a oxy/ acetylene gas welding job about 2 months ago, I still got it. You don't forget to weld.

Later gator
Russ
Old 03-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
I have never been able to master gas welding or even be halfway good at it.
grinding bevels to prep for the welding was a drag. first we used a cutting torch on a train track type thing then used a grinder almost all of it was 1/2" thick. I think at the plants they have a guy that does only the bevels all day. and I thought welding was a tough job.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:01 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,372 Times in 2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Pugs, you get your brake light to go out ? There is a way to reset the pin in the distribution block, if that is what has been tripped. They don't go back by themselves...
It hasn't been on yet. So, I'm trying to get it on.
I'm wondering does it light up when starting the car?
I know cars with idiot lights do but not sure if the brake light is one of those.
Oh, and I'll really have to get it lit because I pulled all the bulbs out of the dash, DOH!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I have never been able to master gas welding or even be halfway good at it.
grinding bevels to prep for the welding was a drag. first we used a cutting torch on a train track type thing then used a grinder almost all of it was 1/2" thick. I think at the plants they have a guy that does only the bevels all day. and I thought welding was a tough job.
I worked for a couple of muffler places, we used to roll the skin, and gas fuse ( no rods) just gas weld the seams. A vice and a hacksaw blade to guide the seam was a neat trick. Nice flowing weld after a lot of time doing it. My lawn man had a filter with a crack in it. I took it to one of my customers and welded it up. Not bad since I hadn't touched a torch in 30 years.

Later gator
Russ
Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

i learned to gas weld first. using coat hangers the first top i cut i gas welded. it did not distort near as bad a mig welds . now days i try to tig as much as i can .
Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,267 Times in 3,624 Posts
I tried today but can't weld. Time to dismantle the life I built, get a bicycle and find a cheap motel. Boy when it rains, it pours!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
i learned to gas weld first. using coat hangers the first top i cut i gas welded. it did not distort near as bad a mig welds . now days i try to tig as much as i can .
LOL.. The very first chop top I did was welded up with coat hangers.. My old Chevy truck cab..

LOL.. young and dumb no eye protection too..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2791.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	413386   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2790.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	413394  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-16-2018), idrivejunk (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
I tried today but can't weld. Time to dismantle the life I built, get a bicycle and find a cheap motel. Boy when it rains, it pours!
Hang in there buddy..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post

Yea on the older cars with thicker metal and tractor fenders with cracks,,drill a small hole to stop ceack and fusion weld it or use a clothes hanger,,it is a little harder to gring down,,but the abrasives of today would probably make it eaiser.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in