The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1536 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
With all the painter screwed up,this plus body work,,Is he alright and out of the hospital now.
No, I wouldn't mind a refund for what the replacement doors cost, but I'll never see that.
Can't go taking payment out of anyone's "hide" anymore. I would be the one in jail and spend more for an attorney, fines and anger management classes than to just move on and pay for a paint job twice...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
With all the painter screwed up,this plus body work,,Is he alright and out of the hospital now.
Folks just don't understand... sure you can call the cops if you think I am overreacting. But it won't prevent the broke jaw you are about to recieve. They might talk different without all those bothersome teeth.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Grand Prix User

Mitch, pretend that door has a rust hotspot in the top front corner. You would not flinch (much) at patching it a half inch out onto the face, would you? So cut that corner of the skin off close to the edge, tape a flat piece of posterboard in it's place with door shut and mark your new door edge. Fold it, trim it, see if the shell needs more meat to reach. Transfer to metal, pre-brake your new piece in the vise just a little, butt weld the face of the patch to skin then fold the edges... this beats adding rod in my book and gives the option to extend the shell. I have done it in a few spots. I would not want to mess with the post cover either, those things are so stretched and thin yeah, nightmare. I know from 65 GTO conv. pillar covers.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2018)

Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Grand Prix User

Of course you could always call and talk to Gary, Mitch. I just didn't think your options were as drastic as they seem to be. Fair warning though...theres enough backlog now, that he feels comfortable.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Of course you could always call and talk to Gary, Mitch. I just didn't think your options were as drastic as they seem to be. Fair warning though...theres enough backlog now, that he feels comfortable.
Yeah, that's never a bargaining position when the owner isn't feeling "hungry"...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-20-2018), John long (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,911 Posts
Matt, just for you..ha.....

Frugalness is spreading rampant.......just a free spring is all it cost....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4803.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	414521  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-18-2018), John long (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Yeah, that's never a bargaining position when the owner isn't feeling "hungry"...
After walking a tightrope for so many years just to stay in the game, he deserves to eat.

By the way, that keychain gets comments. I enjoy seeing it each time I go to my box during the day. Now I gotta always glance to make sure my keys are still there 'cause I like looking at them.

In the interest of actually helping from here which is truly my intent, Mitch ... as a bud I gotta ask if... like me... you might create some hurdles for yourself. Now I can hear all of you groaning, so ya know. But I have learned to run an internal check when problems don't add up. Like bucket seats in the Cat. If we track down the mental rules guiding us into the money and frustration corral, then backtrack to the mental process that led us to make the rule, we may find that the foundation for the rule is arguable since we learned stuff.

Case and point, I have been sweating notching the X frame because Big Mike said he had nowhere near enough headroom sitting in a non-adjustable GTO seat on a flat-ish floor, and because when he did the column was way off to one side. I think in black and white when it comes to structural work and HAD to establish a ME solution in my mind in order to move on. Truth is, I can just zap in what I have and mortal miracle workers will make it work. Trust in them to do so is the unfamiliar component there, being my first full floor. I see that now, and boss or anyone for that matter, taking me seriously, is new ground too.

So with your doors, being the guy that you are, I have to wonder just where your expectations lie, with gaps and alterations. Nobody probably wants to say it but as a friend... I ain't so sure you're not expecting a magical fit. IF your mental guideline is "I have bought good original pieces, they should fit without cutting!"... well man I hear ya but even with the most glorious parts in the kingdom thats a stretch. If it happened to somebody you know, they were lucky and their gaps aren't perfect.

At the risk of sounding horn tooty there are not many people with the amount of RECENT experience fixing fit issues back to back on a variety of bodies, that I speak from. If there were, you may have heard this more. I suspect, with respect, that you might be expecting too much. Hope that don't make you mad. I see where you're coming from but I don't see anybody else with bank vault gaps that has not used a lot of resources to get there. I should probably just have said that to the wall but I sense the same thing in you that I do in NEW customers. At some point they all see something and relax a bit. I just wish you could find caring technicians, thats the difference which causes your unrest I reckon. I certainly enjoy following your progress and its tough to hear of the unfortunate dramas.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:27 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Folks just don't understand... sure you can call the cops if you think I am overreacting. But it won't prevent the broke jaw you are about to recieve. They might talk different without all those bothersome teeth.
Things seem to be different in Appalachia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12565483_1100371646649179_2635553178818744910_n.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	414529  
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Matt, just for you..ha.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCaf...ature=youtu.be

Frugalness is spreading rampant.......just a free spring is all it cost....

Oh! So thats what you were in there fixing. Well if it was a Pontiac that never would have broke. Seriously, if theres one thing that screams lame-suck louder than column shift, its a sloppy floppy one. Mine isn't floppy just sloppy. And thats what she said. Ha. Glad that part is fixed up for next to nothing. Enjoyed the minute in your shop. Thanks!

Two questions:

I see where they sell console assemblies now. Do you think you'll go buckets at build time? Console with horseshoe shifter is mmm. But for example my 69 GP came with a great big fold down armrest and that allows an extra person if need be. Just making conversation really, you probably won't decide for sure until you dirty the floormats a few times. By the way I noticed how good the rubber bed mat looked in Gary's the other day. I am from the likes bed mats camp. Ah, Matt... bed...

Are there bushings where the shift rod goes through the slots in the piece on the trans? My junk is adjusted perfectly... with bushings there. So I gotta dip the selector into second a bit to catch drive since the last bushings fell out. Once it hits the detent the shifter rides fine. But the slop causes WOT manual shifting mistakes. I don't know how to even ask about the bushings or where to ask. Its like they were OE only and you're supposed to make something. They don't last long. Just wondering whats on your setup assuming TH400 has same shift arrangement.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Grand Prix User

Sorry about the novel Mitch but I do wonder because your sentiments echo those of the owners of the last two Chevelles we did. Both said "I want gaps!" and both are happy. I just looked back at pics of the brown GTO job and both pillar covers were cut and welded for gap at the bottom. One where it meets fender also. So if you'd rather mod those than the doors, know that it is do-able. Probably the lesser evil in your case, and definitely more corrosion-protection-able. Cuttin and muddin either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Oh! So thats what you were in there fixing. Well if it was a Pontiac that never would have broke. Seriously, if theres one thing that screams lame-suck louder than column shift, its a sloppy floppy one. Mine isn't floppy just sloppy. And thats what she said. Ha. Glad that part is fixed up for next to nothing. Enjoyed the minute in your shop. Thanks!

Two questions:

I see where they sell console assemblies now. Do you think you'll go buckets at build time? Console with horseshoe shifter is mmm. But for example my 69 GP came with a great big fold down armrest and that allows an extra person if need be. Just making conversation really, you probably won't decide for sure until you dirty the floormats a few times. By the way I noticed how good the rubber bed mat looked in Gary's the other day. I am from the likes bed mats camp. Ah, Matt... bed...

Are there bushings where the shift rod goes through the slots in the piece on the trans? My junk is adjusted perfectly... with bushings there. So I gotta dip the selector into second a bit to catch drive since the last bushings fell out. Once it hits the detent the shifter rides fine. But the slop causes WOT manual shifting mistakes. I don't know how to even ask about the bushings or where to ask. Its like they were OE only and you're supposed to make something. They don't last long. Just wondering whats on your setup assuming TH400 has same shift arrangement.
TH 350, but the 400 has the same slotted horseshoe cup on the shift rod. Just a rod right thru the two slots is all.

It's shifting really good now after fixing the column and the linkage this morning. A micro thin cotter pin with no washer in front of it. it pulled right out of the lower column shifting lever when I was adjusting down below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4805.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	414537  
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Purists Hate Me

Hey Mitch. I'm with Matt. Get them gaps closed up a wee bit. Have yourself a really nice looking car.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-20-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
TH 350, but the 400 has the same slotted horseshoe cup on the shift rod. Just a rod right thru the two slots is all.

It's shifting really good now after fixing the column and the linkage this morning. A micro thin cotter pin with no washer in front of it. it pulled right out of the lower column shifting lever when I was adjusting down below.
I guess I should just tack some washers on my horseshoe then. But that can rattle. That cotter pin... well they might as well have used hairspray to hold it.

I am about to throw down some inspo for Mitch. Poor guy.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Grand Prix User

Here we are, an easy quarter million dollar build. Had same trouble on driver's side but maybe not as bad as the 66. They ain't the same body but yeah... quarter million done. Poor guy paid too much for it, found it to be a rustbucket, bit the bullet, got pissed eventually and brought it to us. Not the only guy I have seen with bodyshop fatigue to the point of a nervous twitch. It goes away once you are in good hands but the cost is always ridiculous. You just gotta want it, and as we all have seen, if paying the bill is your only worry, thats not comparatively too bad.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmp_21512-IMG_98502144603186.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	414545   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21512-IMG_98492054576542.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	414553   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21512-IMG_78911802851183.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	414561   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21512-IMG_77151562939738.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	414569   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21512-IMG_4976187058096.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	414577  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (03-18-2018), boothboy (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I will look at extending the pillar cover before tearing into a near perfect original door...

The gaps on the door ends aren't perfect but they weren't from the factory either and I'm OK with that. Maybe getting the surface transitions from the door to quarter and fender a little better with a skim would be OK, it shouldn't take much. No welding on the door edges to close gaps. It's just a car.

Wow, yeah, for $250,000, I could have all 7 of mine done...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-18-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in