The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1545 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,814 Times in 4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Brian, walk us through how you formed this piece with three bends in it and getting the curve also. Did you tip the flanges after you formed the curve?

John
I have to tell you John, it was a MUTHA but fell right into place too. I think I lucked out.

I cut the piece to size, and one thing I have finally gotten into doing is leaving the piece larger and then trimming it to size after it's in shaped. I can't believe all the years I cut things perfect to size with a template and then shaped it, DAMN that can make the work much harder.

Anyway, I scribed the three lines, then made a "brake" out of a pair of angle iron in my vice. I bent the middle one first, just using a flat "spoon" and hammer making a 90 degree bend. I then pulled it out and put one of the sides in the "brake" and used a 3/8" strip of wood to put it at the perfect height, then tightening the vice (and also a vice grip on the angle iron out away from the vice being the piece I was bending was much wider than the vice.) I used a super wide chisel to stick it into that 3/8" gap between the vice and the folded metal and made that fold, again, to 90 degree. I did the same on the other side so I had this perfectly straight three bend piece.

I had to fine tune it a big on a large flat "dolly" (it's a 15" circle 2.5 inch thick chunk of steel) on my bench. I then stretched the top fold with my shrinker/stretcher to get the shape curved shape of the piece and then using the large flat dolly flattened out the folds a bit so they weren't a sharp 90 degree and this straightened out the piece so it wasn't curving after stretching the top curved it a bit. But back and forth and shrinking a bit here and there and stretching a bit here and there and it was ready to go.

I really went off from my original plan quite a bit and followed what it was telling me to do rather what my plan was. LOL

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-24-2018), cozwurth (03-24-2018), Gearhead Poppa (03-24-2018), Rip VW (03-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Brian, walk us through how you formed this piece with three bends in it and getting the curve also. Did you tip the flanges after you formed the curve?

John
By the way, I don't know what "tipped means" can you fill me in?

Brian
Old 03-24-2018, 09:40 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

tipped means tipping the 45s on a bead roller with tipping dies. The shrinker/ stretcher can bend 45s into a shape as long as there's not too much meat on the sides, in case you're wondering, John. As long as there's no more than about 1" past either side of the 45, shrinking or stretching will curve it to match a shape, just as you can get it to take a round shape for corners. Just depends on where you put that shrinker/stretcher jaw.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Click image for larger version

Name:	storage-1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	415465

our "sand" station at work. I will say, ours has way better sanders, a good modern DA, and an orbital air file, and 3" sander. The 3" sandpaper lasts way long when the dust is being vacuumed for some reason. When we sweep it gets confusing. Do I sit there and pick out all the crap out of the bondo dust or do I simple toss the whole pile in the "bondo dust" can? Dump everything in the bondo dust can. I'm not here to pick thru garbage for bureaucrats. Anywho, we're even being told to stop using our old stick it sandpaper to appease the regulators by using reusable sandpaper that doesn't use harmful glue. So the company is just sitting on tons of stick it sandpaper out of fear. There's huge concern these days over these government piss ants showing up with their notepad. Also, out of nowhere we have all these recycle cans everywhere to make it look like we're super concerned with the environment. All of these changes overnight. Funny to think that it was someone's idea to throw in some recycle cans to appease the government snitches.

Last edited by tech69; 03-24-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,058 Times in 2,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you John, it was a MUTHA but fell right into place too. I think I lucked out.

I cut the piece to size, and one thing I have finally gotten into doing is leaving the piece larger and then trimming it to size after it's in shaped. I can't believe all the years I cut things perfect to size with a template and then shaped it, DAMN that can make the work much harder.

Anyway, I scribed the three lines, then made a "brake" out of a pair of angle iron in my vice. I bent the middle one first, just using a flat "spoon" and hammer making a 90 degree bend. I then pulled it out and put one of the sides in the "brake" and used a 3/8" strip of wood to put it at the perfect height, then tightening the vice (and also a vice grip on the angle iron out away from the vice being the piece I was bending was much wider than the vice.) I used a super wide chisel to stick it into that 3/8" gap between the vice and the folded metal and made that fold, again, to 90 degree. I did the same on the other side so I had this perfectly straight three bend piece.

I had to fine tune it a big on a large flat "dolly" (it's a 15" circle 2.5 inch thick chunk of steel) on my bench. I then stretched the top fold with my shrinker/stretcher to get the shape curved shape of the piece and then using the large flat dolly flattened out the folds a bit so they weren't a sharp 90 degree and this straightened out the piece so it wasn't curving after stretching the top curved it a bit. But back and forth and shrinking a bit here and there and stretching a bit here and there and it was ready to go.

I really went off from my original plan quite a bit and followed what it was telling me to do rather what my plan was. LOL

Brian
Quote:
By the way, I don't know what "tipped means" can you fill me in?

Brian
Thats fairly inventive. A guy with a vise, lots of scraps of stuff, and proper inclination can do many things. Piece looks primo. Tipping is when you put something between rollers, bend it then by hand, and roll it through keeping it bent, to break a line. John does it with a washer and skateboard wheel, I think. Can do pretty much anything. I have had recent success using stepping dies on the bead roller, and my new favorite thing is tipping things on the english wheel for places that need a wide radius.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,982 Times in 4,102 Posts
Quote:

Brian
Good stuff Brian. I expected it was pretty challenging making it in one piece. Thanks for elaborating on the process.

Matt and Henry gave good answers to your tipping question. Here is a picture of me tipping the lip on my snorkel for the air cleaner.

John

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-24-2018), MARTINSR (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks John, yeah, no nice tools on a lot of what I am doing. I have a brake but it's kinda funky and takes me to dig it out of the shed so I just made my "brake" in the vice with a couple of piece of angle iron. By the way, I ground the edge nice and clean on the angle iron so it would make a nice bend.

I didn't know where to post this photo so I will here, being it's "What I worked on today." LOL

I am doing some cleaning and I came across this little notepad I have had for years, well the date is right there, Aug 1, 1979. I had this note pat sitting on my painters bench at Early Ford V8 shop in Hayward and I started writing down the cars I would work on. This is just a few pages as the pad is 40 pages long. You can see by the last one here, it's the back side of the last page after I filled the 40 pages I started there and filled another 10 or so pages on the back before I gave up in 1985.

Pretty wild, I actually remember quite a few of those cars!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Work list.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	415497  
Old 03-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Thanks John, yeah, no nice tools on a lot of what I am doing. I have a brake but it's kinda funky and takes me to dig it out of the shed so I just made my "brake" in the vice with a couple of piece of angle iron. By the way, I ground the edge nice and clean on the angle iron so it would make a nice bend.

I didn't know where to post this photo so I will here, being it's "What I worked on today." LOL

I am doing some cleaning and I came across this little notepad I have had for years, well the date is right there, Aug 1, 1979. I had this note pat sitting on my painters bench at Early Ford V8 shop in Hayward and I started writing down the cars I would work on. This is just a few pages as the pad is 40 pages long. You can see by the last one here, it's the back side of the last page after I filled the 40 pages I started there and filled another 10 or so pages on the back before I gave up in 1985.

Pretty wild, I actually remember quite a few of those cars!
Brian I don't know if you saw that Chevelle rear window panel gap I posted other day but Slick borrowed my wide duck bill clamps and flattened that end bend completely then came and waited patiently by the vise until I was off it. I held one end while he lined up his new bend mark then handed him a scrap of 1x2" tubing and my 3lb plastic dead blow and showed him how to bump as I bend, right down at the jaws. Working together, perfect. Vise is my new best friend, I have been depending on it a lot lately, its where to find me now.

Your notebook I do think is cool. Memories. If I ever dump my box again, I may find the collision repair record archive. I kept name, RO#, make/model and hours. But you know how all my work pics would form a huge informative guide if arranged properly? Well, I write details of operations performed daily in a "did this til then, then started on this" format including notes concerning special labor needs or explaining things. Theres a full seven years' worth now and occasionally I can answer questions with it. Of course the info is secret, just for us, but it is a hoot to be looking at one like the Biscayne and then reference the notes. It makes me feel good sometimes, and sometimes bad. But that stuff is every bit as interesting as the pics. Its a required procedure for accurate billing info, and boyoboy if we don't fill out the book or take pics, thats just durn near grounds for dismissal!
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,026 Posts
Calibrated the new Classic Auto Air system with the new wiring harness they sent. It went thru all the programming fine.

It just doesn't work!!!!

Un-freakin-believable!!!!!

The thing will only blow up the defrost or down to the floor. No dash. A whole week waiting for a harness and it still don't work.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh... and today I am trying in vain to start spring cleaning projects, as in garage. Life has been throwing things at me like a psychotic wife the past few years and the place is just car parts. Whole house is, not like the hoarder story but not unlike it either. I believe if I just grab up everything I want to keep, my life fits in a fullsize van. Moving closer to work and folks would be a smart move for me but some things I have accumulated, I don't know how to get rid of. Having thoughts of sawing things up and trash bagging it all for the city since I got no truck to haul with. Procrastination and dread, dead ahead.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Calibrated the new Classic Auto Air system with the new wiring harness they sent. It went thru all the programming fine.

It just doesn't work!!!!

Un-freakin-believable!!!!!

The thing will only blow up the defrost or down to the floor. No dash. A whole week waiting for a harness and it still don't work.
Uh-oh. Thought you were quiet because road tripping. I don't want to add to the frustration. Kinked duct hose? Something in the way of a lever on the box? Does this use cables or actuators? Can you work the doors manually if you unhook something, to confirm no binding, etc? Stepping back... best of luck today. You'll win.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Brian I don't know if you saw that Chevelle rear window panel gap I posted other day but Slick borrowed my wide duck bill clamps and flattened that end bend completely then came and waited patiently by the vise until I was off it. I held one end while he lined up his new bend mark then handed him a scrap of 1x2" tubing and my 3lb plastic dead blow and showed him how to bump as I bend, right down at the jaws. Working together, perfect. Vise is my new best friend, I have been depending on it a lot lately, its where to find me now.

Your notebook I do think is cool. Memories. If I ever dump my box again, I may find the collision repair record archive. I kept name, RO#, make/model and hours. But you know how all my work pics would form a huge informative guide if arranged properly? Well, I write details of operations performed daily in a "did this til then, then started on this" format including notes concerning special labor needs or explaining things. Theres a full seven years' worth now and occasionally I can answer questions with it. Of course the info is secret, just for us, but it is a hoot to be looking at one like the Biscayne and then reference the notes. It makes me feel good sometimes, and sometimes bad. But that stuff is every bit as interesting as the pics. Its a required procedure for accurate billing info, and boyoboy if we don't fill out the book or take pics, thats just durn near grounds for dismissal!

Oh Geeez,I forgot I use to start the bend using duckbill vicegrips, that makes it much easier, thanks for the remind!

I have an old pair of these goodies too, DAMN those are valuable tools!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,026 Posts
Quote:
Uh-oh. Thought you were quiet because road tripping. I don't want to add to the frustration. Kinked duct hose? Something in the way of a lever on the box? Does this use cables or actuators? Can you work the doors manually if you unhook something, to confirm no binding, etc? Stepping back... best of luck today. You'll win.
Thanks, but no.
Brand new unit, all electronic. I won't even try to move something on a unit under warranty.

On a brighter note, I did fix the headlight switch and rewired wipers and dome light. Both good. All dash lites rewired and new bulbs installed as required. Pulled the temp and oil senders. Need to get the correct ones.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Grand Prix User

Brian my duck bills are cheap locking pliers, those you got are better.

Pugs, I just hope its not a pile of junk. Ha. According to shop observations, issues are not uncommon with aftermarket A/C in general. The electronic slider control thingys are fragile. When the GTP was giving me trouble with plastic gears busting in the actuators, I'd unscrew one and lift it off to assure the door was free, thats all. I concur with your warranty standpoint. Luck, sir. I might change my name to ikeepjunk soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Brian my duck bills are cheap locking pliers, those you got are better.

Pugs, I just hope its not a pile of junk. Ha. According to shop observations, issues are not uncommon with aftermarket A/C in general. The electronic slider control thingys are fragile. When the GTP was giving me trouble with plastic gears busting in the actuators, I'd unscrew one and lift it off to assure the door was free, thats all. I concur with your warranty standpoint. Luck, sir. I might change my name to ikeepjunk soon.
Yeah, I have a number of the Vice Grip version too (I have 37 pairs of Vice Grips) but these "hemming" pilers I believe they are called are way more precise and much better for fine work. I used them on late model door skins for years. A bunch of the door never even touching it with a hammer and dolly, they are super precise tools.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in