The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1560 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #23386 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Good stuff guys. John, hang in there. Pretty soon you'll have it on the frame with plenty of walking around to stare at room.

Gearhead, is that a smog Nova hatchback? I peeked at your journal 'cause I like Novas.

Pugsy there ain't been a lick of evidence here that you even left the castle. You know we are metal worshippers, so.... ***ahemPICScough***. Excuse me.
Yeah you must be serving at the Area 51 metal shop this week, eh Leadfoot?
Don't mind me, buddy. We all cringed for ya and dread for you now, about the slip of paper your new friend passed to you. I've just had to hone my friend taunting skills this week because of that damn turbo guy. I have no affection for Japanese cars and just can't force it upon myself.

Been experiencing a great deal of erratic behavior of this site lately. Wanted to let you all know that apparrently as of today I can no longer even use the thanks button. Function of the site, for me, has been steadily degrading and now... again... for me and my devices... its down to barely being able to use basic site functions. Theres no reason to believe it will improve, and theres so many extra steps required at this point that its truly not worth messing with. So don't take it personal if my acknowledgement of your post never appears. Felt like I should let you know about the thank yous.

Glad I took Grape for a spin yesterday, its freezy and dusted today. The sweet 'P got the groceries for her this week. Its good to have a younger friend around for help like that as she ages.

Um, oh... took one pic Friday and it sucks. Frustrated a little because I ran like hell and fell one small piece short of my goal which was tying front and back sections of the 59 floor frame together and having it ready to lift the body for a little while. The further along I go, the clearer it becomes that nobody else cares if parts I am building around are not present. All anyone wants is for me to finish the floor, and its all me if anything is holding up the works. So thats where I am headed, fastest way to complete pans with no consideration for how much will have to be altered for seats, tires, tank. They want a blank slate with every component placement option left wide open and I want to build it right the first time, not hack up what I just built. Hobbyists, count your blessings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_27942-20180406_1259581802885554.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	418154   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_27942-20180407_094138436833556.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	418162  

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (04-07-2018), MARTINSR (04-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #23387 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:37 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 60
Posts: 16,146
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,239
Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
"What did I do today?" Nothing, feel like crap the last few days and haven't gotten anything done on the truck. But hey that doesn't mean I can't go to work!

That whole "making a living" crap gets in the way of everything!

Yesterday I installed a ladder on the back of a Winebago motorhome. Yeah, not a big deal, it's a damn motorhome, it's not like they are perfect. Funny thing is, I was woken over and over the night before with my brain spinning about mounting this ladder. I told my wife "It's like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I don't know why it's in my head." Well, I am either a physic or a psycho because I started on this thing yesterday morning and it KICKED MY BUTT!

OMG, Oh MY GOD how in the living hell could they make such a precise thing for people to install at home? I got to looking at the old door and ladder and the instructions that came with it and it looked so wham bam done, and went to work. I measured within a mm of what they said, near perfection. 100mm up from a moulding on the bottom mount, then 1450mm up from that moulding to the top mounts. I marked them off perfectly, measured the old door to find they weren't exactly the same, I went ahead and put them as the directions said and if they were off a mm or so it would lean towards what the old door had.

I drilled one hole then bolted the bracket on and drilled the other two being they were simply a 1/4" hole with a 1/4" bolt, no room for error.

I fought and fought and fought with these mounts as they had to be PERFECT to clear the edge of the door! It was MIND BLOWING how it hit the hinge one side and then hung out past the door on the other side! GRRRR The old ones showed damage to the cover at the end of the bracket from hitting the hinge, ok, I can live with that. I FINALLY got the two mounting brackets on the door.

I then went to put the ladder on and guys, this ladder had ZERO adjustment, we are talking a 6-7 foot long ladder with four mounting brackets with two bolts per bracket with ZERO movement of the brackets! A 1/4" hole for a 1/4" bolt with ZERO movement, ZERO.

Now I had measured within a mm, no kidding, it was as close to flawless as you are going to get, but you have to be FLAWLESS and it took a big of pushing to get the bolts in. But my God, if I had did it like I thought in the beginning and just loosy goosy drilled holes like this ladder was going to bolt on the door here or there like I thought I would have had a serious mess on my hands!

I did crack the one plastic cover from hitting the hinge, hopefully the owner who is a MIND BLOWING anal woman won't see it behind the ladder. I kept the old covers in case we need to repair and paint one (they were all broken) and put it on there if she spots this one cracked.

Geez, I am not kidding you, I could have chopped a Model A coupe in the time it took me to install this ladder! Hell, in four more hours I chopped a VW bug getting it in primer once, geeez.

Ok, I am now home to lay on the couch all day.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-08-2018), John long (04-07-2018)
  #23388 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 60
Posts: 16,146
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,239
Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
I don't expect anyone to read my previous post, so for the rambling.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #23389 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 AM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't expect anyone to read my previous post, so for the rambling.

Brian
LOL.I noticed you were scarce and now we know. And you drive a Rambler so what else are we to expect? Scenario you described is a feeling I get often. I do the soul-killingly idiotic deed to finish the job then file it under why would anyone want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23390 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:00 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
This is a place where I gain perspective about "things" when I find myself in battle:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsFightingThings/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23391 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 60
Posts: 16,146
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,239
Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
This is a place where I gain perspective about "things" when I find myself in battle:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsFightingThings/

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, no really,LOLOLOLOL


It just doesn't get any funnier than "I'll kick this guy's car, that'll teach him." OMG that is hilarious!

I am a very serious conservative driver and have studied the subject ( am sure I have bored you guys to death with it) and that is just so damn funny for the moron who would do something like that.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23392 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 PM
cozwurth's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 379
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 369
Thanked 538 Times in 312 Posts
This afternoon I installed the washer fluid reservoir in my wife's van. It now has the squirts from both ends again, lol. The old tank had a big hole in it. She was actually willing to head over to the garage with me while I worked on it. Once that was done, I got her help test fitting the driver side door shell on the Chevelle. I left my phone at home for that, so I don't have any pics of the trial fit, but I do have some comparison pics that I took the other night. I'm pretty happy with how it fits so far. The body lines line up well. It needs to move forward a little to open up the gap at the quarter and close the gap at the fender, but that will happen later. I'll get some pics showing the gaps either this evening or tomorrow.

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2018), idrivejunk (04-08-2018)
  #23393 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:51 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL, no really,LOLOLOLOL


It just doesn't get any funnier than "I'll kick this guy's car, that'll teach him." OMG that is hilarious!

I am a very serious conservative driver and have studied the subject ( am sure I have bored you guys to death with it) and that is just so damn funny for the moron who would do something like that.

Brian
I liked the recent post about doors being pu55ies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (04-07-2018)
  #23394 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
This afternoon I installed the washer fluid reservoir in my wife's van. It now has the squirts from both ends again, lol. The old tank had a big hole in it. She was actually willing to head over to the garage with me while I worked on it. Once that was done, I got her help test fitting the driver side door shell on the Chevelle. I left my phone at home for that, so I don't have any pics of the trial fit, but I do have some comparison pics that I took the other night. I'm pretty happy with how it fits so far. The body lines line up well. It needs to move forward a little to open up the gap at the quarter and close the gap at the fender, but that will happen later. I'll get some pics showing the gaps either this evening or tomorrow.

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dave, you, Pugsy, and Mitch gotta realize that the rest of us... who, bless our hearts do not own Chevelles... ain't buying this "left it at home" bit. OK maybe once is excusable if you hurl it against a solid object and it is smithereens. That being said, , OK these pics will do but I need a bigger screen. Boy that door shell is such a complex stamping that I can see why perfect skins and edges might be of secondary importance to a manufacturer. Glad to hear the fit you tried wasn't all whopperjawed. What is an E-3 anyway? I did not serve. Thats a transplanted follow up Q from John's thread. Squirting from both ends is just an ew statement and I detect vomitory overtones in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23395 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:26 PM
cozwurth's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 379
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 369
Thanked 538 Times in 312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Dave, you, Pugsy, and Mitch gotta realize that the rest of us... who, bless our hearts do not own Chevelles... ain't buying this "left it at home" bit. OK maybe once is excusable if you hurl it against a solid object and it is smithereens. That being said, , OK these pics will do but I need a bigger screen. Boy that door shell is such a complex stamping that I can see why perfect skins and edges might be of secondary importance to a manufacturer. Glad to hear the fit you tried wasn't all whopperjawed. What is an E-3 anyway? I did not serve. Thats a transplanted follow up Q from John's thread. Squirting from both ends is just an ew statement and I detect vomitory overtones in it.
I really did forget it. Honest! I am very happy with the fit right now. I may have to rack the shell a bit to get the lower rear corner out, but i had to do that on the original door too. That will not happen until i get the rear quarter stripped and front inner fender wells off so i can get to the other part of the hinges. I'm assuming that I can get to them that way...

An E-3, for the Army, is a Private First Class. E-1 is the absolute lowest rank, so I was still very, very low in the pecking order. By the time I paid my car insurance and put gas in it, there was not much left over. It's a good thing they fed and housed me!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-08-2018)
  #23396 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:02 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
I really did forget it. Honest! I am very happy with the fit right now. I may have to rack the shell a bit to get the lower rear corner out, but i had to do that on the original door too. That will not happen until i get the rear quarter stripped and front inner fender wells off so i can get to the other part of the hinges. I'm assuming that I can get to them that way...

An E-3, for the Army, is a Private First Class. E-1 is the absolute lowest rank, so I was still very, very low in the pecking order. By the time I paid my car insurance and put gas in it, there was not much left over. It's a good thing they fed and housed me!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Well since now I know you can probably hit with a Garand , I'll ask that you not shoot the messenger.... fender has to be off, wheelwell won't get you there. Cowl sticks way out on both sides so no access. In this situation... It is possible to prop front and rear corners of the hood very carefully and remove the fender or fender and well assembly. It is possible to remove the front bumper and remove or move out of the way the entire front clip. Surely we can help come up with a way to do this without a shopful of helping hands. Heres an image in case you need a peek behind the fender.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_27942-20180206_165152638479232.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	418178  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2018), cozwurth (04-07-2018)
  #23397 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Big Jim
 

Last journal entry: Project Nova: Tornado Survivor
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NW Iowa
Age: 65
Posts: 75
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 959
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
IDJ yes it is '73 hatchback 355 with turbo 350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23398 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:44 PM
cozwurth's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 379
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 369
Thanked 538 Times in 312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Well since now I know you can probably hit with a Garand , I'll ask that you not shoot the messenger.... fender has to be off, wheelwell won't get you there. Cowl sticks way out on both sides so no access. In this situation... It is possible to prop front and rear corners of the hood very carefully and remove the fender or fender and well assembly. It is possible to remove the front bumper and remove or move out of the way the entire front clip. Surely we can help come up with a way to do this without a shopful of helping hands. Heres an image in case you need a peek behind the fender.

I've never fired a Garand. Would love to have one, though. Now an M16 on the other hand...

Figures about the fender well access. Just another example of when you assume something...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23399 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:49 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR
Age: 53
Posts: 3,771
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,136
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Poppa View Post
IDJ yes it is '73 hatchback 355 with turbo 350
Maaan. Excellent choice of year, in my opinion. I had 71 Ventura post coupe and 75 Nova hatch so your tire well was sorta familiar but not exactly. Cool ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23400 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Big Jim
 

Last journal entry: Project Nova: Tornado Survivor
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NW Iowa
Age: 65
Posts: 75
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 959
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't expect anyone to read my previous post, so for the rambling.

Brian
Glad to know I'm not the only one that lies awake at night not being able to sleep until a problem solved. Just last night I was awake half the night until I figured out how to run the fuel on the Nova so it will look nice and be functional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 16 11-07-2015 04:26 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.