The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1570 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Lake pipes don't belong on that car as it takes away from the theme. Some rocker molding and get rid of the fishhook on the rear. that car needs some chrome..

Sam
I agree on fish hook. What is the theme? Its a fifties car with salt flats style wheels, ain't it? I'm not smartmouthing, I just wasn't born until Pontiac 400s came out so I don't know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Grand Prix User

Any thoughts on the color change? Heres the color I was visualizing.

It never had rocker chrome. Just saying. Cosmetic accessories that don't belong? Raise your hand if you want to dip into the Bonneville parts bin for that, please.

My thinking was side pipes would add the bright it needs down low.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Well, the fish hook behind the rear wheel doesn't really flow with the lines and with no door handle, I'd say no molding. You might want to experiment with deleting the molding on top of the fin. That looks slightly out of place in the bottom pic.
I got blank stares when mentioning body colored fin trim. I really want to do that and make trim for the fin tails that doesn't look as dime store as what came on it. Cheesy silver flat triangles.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Grand Prix User

I really think bobbing the rear bumper tips takes away from the looks. The plan is vertical slot exhaust outlets there. Thoughts? We want to leave the bumper tips pointy and have arrowhead shaped outlets there. Some of us at the shop, that is.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
I know one thing, a photo shopped photo is a good way to get a little idea of what the mod looks like. But as Harley Earl did, to get it out in the "viewing courtyard" so you can walk around it and really see it as it is must be done for a real understanding of what it will look like.

Obviously it's not always easy. But it can be made possible with simply putting silver tape there or something like that to get an idea. Just like trial fitting parts, sometimes it takes a while of "wasted time" as some feel to get it done. But it is NOT "wasted time," not by a long shot! It is time very well spent!

I will pull my cab outside and look at it from all angles, rotate it, check it out. Did the same thing with the Gran Sport and it's wheel opening mouldings, took photos, a number of them too, with and without the mouldings. But walking around just to get a good look so the best decision is made.

With my brothers Roadster, he did this often, the front tires were changed three times before he drove it for the first time. Changed the height of the headlamps a few times on adjustable mounts before finalizing it.

It makes a big difference to get it out and look at it.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewing courtyard.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	419530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5442.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	419538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	419546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1433.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	419554  
Old 04-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I know one thing, a photo shopped photo is a good way to get a little idea of what the mod looks like. But as Harley Earl did, to get it out in the "viewing courtyard" so you can walk around it and really see it as it is must be done for a real understanding of what it will look like.

Obviously it's not always easy. But it can be made possible with simply putting silver tape there or something like that to get an idea. Just like trial fitting parts, sometimes it takes a while of "wasted time" as some feel to get it done. But it is NOT "wasted time," not by a long shot! It is time very well spent!

I will pull my cab outside and look at it from all angles, rotate it, check it out. Did the same thing with the Gran Sport and it's wheel opening mouldings, took photos, a number of them too, with and without the mouldings. But walking around just to get a good look so the best decision is made.

With my brothers Roadster, he did this often, the front tires were changed three times before he drove it for the first time. Changed the height of the headlamps a few times on adjustable mounts before finalizing it.

It makes a big difference to get it out and look at it.

Brian

I get your drift. These things I do are just visualization aids, not gospel specs. Theres no substitute for the already done thing to look at from all angles, but when you're only building one, photo edits get a point across. Its a mistake to spend much time on them, they are like flash cards for build ideas. I like choosing from multiple ideas. Not that I have any say in what happens on the Cat but I like to provide options and make folks think. Also enjoy nipping my own goofy notions in the bud before mentioning them. The front end needs some goof time spent... the mods on the rendering don't strike us workers as too whippy.

I'll see if I can't find some shoe store mirrors to hold up there, and give them a try with molding.

Color suggestions anyone? I gravitate to dark pearls and minimal brightwork on everything because it showcases / highlights the work done in clay originally. The root beauty of the sheetmetal is emphasized that way, IMO. The only other color I found that I liked would be a pale turquoise (not unlike whats on the rear rendering) with a gold pearl. I chose rugged amber as a dark red because the glass flakes and dark mass tone would realky pump up the body lines on the Cat.

My GP is how it is because there was no dollars for chroming or replacing weathered or damaged or missing trim. But there was welder and sandpaper and epoxy on a brush. People rave over it everywhere I go and I am ashamed of the condition its in. But it doesn't matter to people. I formulated the color during two weeks of no sun and when sun hit the car, I facepalmed. Purple. People of all ages and walks of life compliment it while Iwonder why. It has a face only a mother could love. So I know there is such thing as happy accidents and if I can stumble onto something hot looking for a customer doing edits, thats great.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
I get your drift. These things I do are just visualization aids, not gospel specs. Theres no substitute for the already done thing to look at from all angles, but when you're only building one, photo edits get a point across. Its a mistake to spend much time on them, they are like flash cards for build ideas. I like choosing from multiple ideas. Not that I have any say in what happens on the Cat but I like to provide options and make folks think. Also enjoy nipping my own goofy notions in the bud before mentioning them. The front end needs some goof time spent... the mods on the rendering don't strike us workers as too whippy.

I'll see if I can't find some shoe store mirrors to hold up there, and give them a try with molding.

Color suggestions anyone? I gravitate to dark pearls and minimal brightwork on everything because it showcases / highlights the work done in clay originally. The root beauty of the sheetmetal is emphasized that way, IMO. The only other color I found that I liked would be a pale turquoise (not unlike whats on the rear rendering) with a gold pearl. I chose rugged amber as a dark red because the glass flakes and dark mass tone would realky pump up the body lines on the Cat.

My GP is how it is because there was no dollars for chroming or replacing weathered or damaged or missing trim. But there was welder and sandpaper and epoxy on a brush. People rave over it everywhere I go and I am ashamed of the condition its in. But it doesn't matter to people. I formulated the color during two weeks of no sun and when sun hit the car, I facepalmed. Purple. People of all ages and walks of life compliment it while Iwonder why. It has a face only a mother could love. So I know there is such thing as happy accidents and if I can stumble onto something hot looking for a customer doing edits, thats great.
I like your thinking, don't cut us short on your comments. You have great stuff to say.

I have a little bit of a thing on colors, what do I like? Well, I like colors that you don't have to explain, you know what I mean? I am not into the "reddish gold metallic" colors. I am into to the GREEN, RED, "It's BLUE" kinda colors.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,959 Posts
I haven't seen more than a handful of blue cars I liked. Some colours just don't "do it" for me.....crazy.

And I picked a blue for my daily. Thought, hey, a blue I like. When they drove it out to the front of the dealership, I just about ship. All them lights in the showroom did their job and suckered another one, ha...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-15-2018), MARTINSR (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Purists Hate Me

Got the interior together and finished the new glove box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	419586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5165.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	419594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5162.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	419602  
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I haven't seen more than a handful of blue cars I liked. Some colours just don't "do it" for me.....crazy.

And I picked a blue for my daily. Thought, hey, a blue I like. When they drove it out to the front of the dealership, I just about ship. All them lights in the showroom did their job and suckered another one, ha...
https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/what-is-metamerism

Brian
Old 04-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting glove box! I would have used Captain Crunch.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Lovely

All you need now is to flock it!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

Blue is by far my favorite. In recent years, people seem to have become violently opposed to it. Everybody at the shop hates blue but when we paint one blue and whip it out in the sun, suddenly its everyone's favorite car. Your mileage may vary, I reckon.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep.........my supposed to be green shed turned out blue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5777.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	419610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5798.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	419618  
Old 04-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Lovely

All you need now is to flock it!

I did. I said "flock it, I'll leave it cardboard!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-15-2018), MARTINSR (04-15-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in