The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1584 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2018, 04:29 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,028 Times in 2,972 Posts
There was a little part of yesterday I almost forgot but it was significant... Catalina right quarter behind the wheel, above the area I made a patch for months ago, had some stretched spots from dents. While I was welding seam and corners of that last footwell, I snuck up and did some slappy tappy then shrunk about a half dozen high spots with Mr. Miller and my friend, wet rag. I want those patches in before I pan the trunk because backside access to the seam will be partially blocked by that, plus the structural integrity the patches provide will be critical when lifting the body.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2018, 04:37 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
The real pisser was, I had most of the interior wrapped in burn blankets like a cocoon. Being a post car, I had trouble coming up with a way to hold the large blanket protecting the headliner reward of the b pillar, so I had a large piece of cardboard for sparks to bounce off of. I even had spark paper on the windows. The rear window paper was about 8" too long and I don't like cutting it down, so it was hanging in mid air. My shop buddy, John, was welding on the left rear inner wheel house and a piece of cardboard caught fire, and I didn't notice it. The flame got up to that spark paper and it lit up like someone had thrown gas on it... The adhesive must be very flammable, and it was the spark paper that did the damage to the headliner and window trim...

Imagine that!

Heres a tip I use: After setting up a cardboard deflector, wet it down with a mist from your spray bottle. Before wetting, I also like layered duct tape at bottom. And I like, in severe risk cases, to tape a metal trough of sorts along the bottom. To catch falling slag and direct it away safely if it rolls.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Man, all this talk about fires is making me feel guilty... I previous neglected to include one of my activities the other day. I set a greasy rag on fire while cutting the front axle off of my trailer. I forgot that I had hung it on the bare spindle, and I could not see it with the welding mask on. It was fully engulfed before I felt the heat on my back when I turned around. Fire extinguisher made quick work of it, but filled the shop with a cloud and white powder everywhere. Opened the door and turned on the shop fan once I could find them through the cloud, lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 04-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Man, all this talk about fires is making me feel guilty... I previous neglected to include one of my activities the other day. I set a greasy rag on fire while cutting the front axle off of my trailer. I forgot that I had hung it on the bare spindle, and I could not see it with the welding mask on. It was fully engulfed before I felt the heat on my back when I turned around. Fire extinguisher made quick work of it, but filled the shop with a cloud and white powder everywhere. Opened the door and turned on the shop fan once I could find them through the cloud, lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
He, he, at least you didn't burn anything valuable. People tend to not talk about accidents that come up during all the fun we have working on things...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
He, he, at least you didn't burn anything valuable. People tend to not talk about accidents that come up during all the fun we have working on things...
Nobody's gonna go out of their way to point out their dumbassery. I flamed up masking paper on the red Mustang. Slick's Chevelle singe was more like yours only carpet, mat. Then this week I'm in the Cat trunk welding stuff and up walks Turbo Lover with the yellow trunk lid. He holds it steady and says weld that. A corner of the shell. It needs a patch, I say. Man, if you can't weld that...

Pfft, OK says me. I drill out a half dozen rust throughs out to clean metal and start welding it but he is just standing there holding it firmly against his jelly belly. Set it down, here lean it right here. OK. bzzt. Sniff... Hey I says, whats on fire? Shrug.

We look. Nothing. bzzt. Hey man, no this thing is burning... wheres my blow gun? Blow. Uh-oh! Hey wow yeah dude its really hot right here.

Get back. And I'll blow it out. Whoa! Gimmie that water bottle. No, the squirt one yeah. Dammit, rotate that thing man! Now wheres the air hose? OK. Jeezeus.

I blew it out, man, I swear! Yeah. Come back when you're rea-dy. Handful of pack ratted seat fluff was in there. I fixed it. No warpage or loose primer thank goodness.

There. Theres you a IDJ de-luxe adventure tale.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:40 PM
Grand Prix User

Went by my folks' place after work and replaced the battery in my GP GT. It is being ravaged by weather and neglect. When I saw that the rearview mirror had fallen, that was the last straw... I transferred my belongings and swapped rides. Time to tend to it or junk it so I'll begin with cleaning before dark in just a few. But there was also work...

I got an hour or two of messing with seat in. Came up with a starting point. Shortest guy we got has head 3" from roof skin. Less for me, but he is about the owner's size. Don't think thats enough. The seat track is over the frame rail when seat centers column. Next available rearward mounting location is 4" back from what is shown, and we have the seat all the way back in pics. Choosing this frame deletes headroom, thats all I can say.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-27-2018), John long (04-27-2018), MARTINSR (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,965 Times in 4,096 Posts
[QUOTE=idrivejunk;4542721]Went by my folks' place after work and replaced the battery in my GP GT. It is being ravaged by weather and neglect. When I saw that the rearview mirror had fallen, that was the last straw... I transferred my belongings and swapped rides. Time to tend to it or junk it so I'll begin with cleaning before dark in just a few. But there was also work...

[QUOTE]

Do you have any cover at all for either car Matt?

John
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Grand Prix User

[quote=John long;4542833][QUOTE=idrivejunk;4542721]Went by my folks' place after work and replaced the battery in my GP GT. It is being ravaged by weather and neglect. When I saw that the rearview mirror had fallen, that was the last straw... I transferred my belongings and swapped rides. Time to tend to it or junk it so I'll begin with cleaning before dark in just a few. But there was also work...

Quote:

Do you have any cover at all for either car Matt?

John
I miss my car wash shade tree but it dropped wicked sap. I have a slim one car attached garage but three GPs tagged and insured. Two are black 99s. The hidey hole is for the GTP, mainly to eliminate outdoor morning window cleaning time loss. The folks keep the extra car in their back yard (tree fallout & birds /cats). I'll give you one shiny guess who is luxuriating indoors at this moment while a freshly de-funked and re-mirrored relative sits in a mud puddle.

The old ride (bought the GT in '09) never ceases to amaze me, it works so smooth. Has 75K less miles on it than my DD. Go figure.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,965 Times in 4,096 Posts
[quote=idrivejunk;4542873][quote=John long;4542833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Went by my folks' place after work and replaced the battery in my GP GT. It is being ravaged by weather and neglect. When I saw that the rearview mirror had fallen, that was the last straw... I transferred my belongings and swapped rides. Time to tend to it or junk it so I'll begin with cleaning before dark in just a few. But there was also work...

I miss my car wash shade tree but it dropped wicked sap. I have a slim one car attached garage but three GPs tagged and insured. Two are black 99s. The hidey hole is for the GTP, mainly to eliminate outdoor morning window cleaning time loss. The folks keep the extra car in their back yard (tree fallout & birds /cats). I'll give you one shiny guess who is luxuriating indoors at this moment while a freshly de-funked and re-mirrored relative sits in a mud puddle.

The old ride (bought the GT in '09) never ceases to amaze me, it works so smooth. Has 75K less miles on it than my DD. Go figure.
I'm sorry you don't have a better place for storage. It is frustrating to not be able to take care of things that mean a lot to you. You have my sympothy.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:49 PM
Grand Prix User

Much obliged. The Lesonal clear on Grape has never lost much appearance quality in 16 years of almost all outdoors. Knock on wood and celebrate trusted brands, eh? I certainly won't leave the GTP at Dad's for long, that factory paint will cook quick.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,797 Times in 4,344 Posts
I got out there, cleaned up the cab a bit, it's a truck cab, I had forgotten that! I can put a seat in there and a steering wheel and drive it! Well almost, got a little ways to go.

I removed some metal and fit a piece to weld back in that was cut out right at the top of the R windshield post that I removed during the chop. It's fit and clamped into place ready for me to weld it in tomorrow.

Brian
Old 04-27-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I got an hour or two of messing with seat in. Came up with a starting point. Shortest guy we got has head 3" from roof skin. Less for me, but he is about the owner's size. Don't think thats enough. The seat track is over the frame rail when seat centers column. Next available rearward mounting location is 4" back from what is shown, and we have the seat all the way back in pics. Choosing this frame deletes headroom, thats all I can say.

You post some really good stuff!

Brian
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You post some really good stuff!

Brian
Thanks. Just making conversation. Does the seating position look too high to any of you guys?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:11 AM

Kinda, but it's hard to say, the guy who will be driving it is the only one who has a say really.

Brian
Old 04-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Just making conversation. Does the seating position look too high to any of you guys?
High is good.

Check eye level to the roof line....you'll know....

I have an inch clearance in the El but it's enough.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« How cool is this | - »