The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1585 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Thanks. Just making conversation. Does the seating position look too high to any of you guys?
I think I'd probably make a call to the owner and have him drop by and sit in it. The mounts look like they could be reworked on the sides to cut them down and allow them to drop a couple inches if the owner needs it to feel comfortable.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Kinda, but it's hard to say, the guy who will be driving it is the only one who has a say really.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
High is good.

Check eye level to the roof line....you'll know....

I have an inch clearance in the El but it's enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I think I'd probably make a call to the owner and have him drop by and sit in it. The mounts look like they could be reworked on the sides to cut them down and allow them to drop a couple inches if the owner needs it to feel comfortable.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll cease work in the passenger compartment right where it stands. We have only seen the customer once, he is about the size of the first guy. I can see that dash, desired aftermarket column, pedals, and shifter, door with easily repositionable armrest, mock headliner, adjustable height mock console, and some sort of quickly adjustable seat placement and seat belt mock up bracketry will all have to be in place (more fab and cutting up what I just blindly built) before asking the owner to choose tailored options. Maybe I'll just remove the existing seat supports and dismiss all thoughts until somebody tells me where it goes. I made two holes already. The guy who sat in it and said the headroom won't work is now asking me why I am saying it won't work. Seems like the time to go on vacation until I can stand up straight again.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:12 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,604 Posts
[QUOTE=idrivejunk;4542873][quote=John long;4542833][QUOTE=idrivejunk;4542721]Went by my folks' place after work and replaced the battery in my GP GT. It is being ravaged by weather and neglect. When I saw that the rearview mirror had fallen, that was the last straw... I transferred my belongings and swapped rides. Time to tend to it or junk it so I'll begin with cleaning before dark in just a few. But there was also work...

I miss my car wash shade tree but it dropped wicked sap.

I park under the trees in my front yard every chance i get to wash truck work on mowers or what ever ,,since weather is warming up i will use it much more and the shop much less.
I have the huge maples in front yard,,but i have Cottonwood it the back and they have worms on them about two weeks a year and they will spot the cars or anything else if you leave them there a couple hours,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488 56 23.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	422121  

Old 04-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Grand Prix User

[quote=496CHEVY3100;4543793][QUOTE=idrivejunk;4542873][quote=John long;4542833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Went by my folks' place after work and replaced the battery in my GP GT. It is being ravaged by weather and neglect. When I saw that the rearview mirror had fallen, that was the last straw... I transferred my belongings and swapped rides. Time to tend to it or junk it so I'll begin with cleaning before dark in just a few. But there was also work...

I miss my car wash shade tree but it dropped wicked sap.

I park under the trees in my front yard every chance i get to wash truck work on mowers or what ever ,,since weather is warming up i will use it much more and the shop much less.
I have the huge maples in front yard,,but i have Cottonwood it the back and they have worms on them about two weeks a year and they will spot the cars or anything else if you leave them there a couple hours,
God does not wish there to be a tree in my yard. Cool boat I charged the A/C in the GT today.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Removed all the plow junk from the front of my v10

Removed all the rear junk and started on the rear bumper.

These 1" thick 4.5" tall pieces will slide inside the frame rails then be bolted to the frame. They are a tight fit and required a 3/8" to be removed for them to fit snug yet still be removable. They will be secured with 10 grade 8 bolts attached to the frame using the original holes.

Next up is the bumper and hitch setup. Nothing is bolted up which is why those look tilted.
I need to tack the bumper in place then will final weld that and the hitch before drilling the mounting holes to ensure none of the holes end up in the wrong spot or misaligned.

Michigan weight reduction.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Grand Prix User

cerial its getting better all the time.

I was grumpy today because ex dog neighbor ran his pressure washer ALL day. I putted around in the comeback queen to keep my dander down and it was mildly pleasant. Indoor temps outdoors today, its a good day to be human. Goin out for a 455 spin shortly if I don't rip any wires to heck cleaning plugs. Pontiac V8 spark plug cleaning for no apparent reason has always been theraputic for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmp_28197-20180428_1757531670065151.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	422145  
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
cerial (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Lunch with the family for dear daughter #2's senior prom, a little grass cutting, and a little bit of work on the trailer. I got the axle moved to the top of the springs, along with new spring seats welded on. Now at least it doesn't look like a lifted 4x4, especially compared to my lowered truck. New wheels and tires and spare tire holder are on order. Wiring is the next hurdle, and then it will at least be usable again. I still have to put a wood deck over the steel, and short sides so I can use it for mulch and gravel. I picked up a pair of fenders from a yard sale, too. I need to get this thing finished...

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-29-2018), Too Many Projects (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,657 Times in 4,286 Posts
I had a FULL day for sure! Ran in my daughters "color run" at her school, yes that's me on the left in bouncy ball thing with my daughter. Then helped Nick put a Stereo in his Miata and he rebuilt the shifter while I was welding in that piece above the windshield. Then removed all the metal to do the kick panel, made the kick panel piece getting it finished up.

Then two Giants games and now the Warriors, WHOOOOO HOOOOO...I am ready for bed.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8744.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	422209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8763.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	422217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8766.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	422225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8767.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	422233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8768.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	422241  

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:12 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Put a radiator in the wife's 2002 SS, that $ucked. Back and forth trading parts for the right ones. No auto zone type of parts store lets get on the table.

What's it with the parts these days, 3 radiators to get one that I could install. One bent, the other did not have the fitting for the oil cooler lines.

Thinking ok ready now, upper and lower hoses where wrong . I do not know how one makes a living with the nonsense these days.

Get done with that, did some clean up on the coupe, before and after shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3112.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	422249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	422257  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rip-tide For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-29-2018), idrivejunk (04-29-2018), Too Many Projects (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,602 Posts
Had the Chevelle Club here yesterday for a "tech session". There were 20 people crammed in my shop with lots of activity. 3-4 were removing the rear axles for the disc brake conversion, 2-3 were doing the pre-assembly of the coil overs and 3-4 were working on rewiring the dash/engine compartment. The rest were standing around, spinning tales of old.
We stopped at 12:30 for lunch that was brought by the car owner. He had pulled pork and corned beef. Another member brought chips and baked beans (not a good idea in a group gathering). All morning I was busy handing out tools, giving advise and talking about my '66 Chevelle and the need to find another painter. After lunch, I was asked to see what I could do about the seized lower control arm bolts. Apparently, the guys were stuck on that for a while before lunch. Of course it's more effective to just get involved than try to coach people on this procedure and after 4 HOURS, I finally had the control arms out !! I had one guy running the impact while I hammered on the other end with a long barrel air chisel. One bolt required the use of my 3/4" impact, just to get it started turning !
Anyway, a few of the guys stuck around until all the arms were replaced. I was in my shop at 8:30 that morning and finally closed the door at 7 PM. Rather long and exhausting day and I never took 1 pic of all this...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-29-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (04-29-2018), Gearhead Poppa (04-29-2018), idrivejunk (04-29-2018), John long (04-29-2018), MARTINSR (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
When your working hard taking pics isn't done much and rarely even thought of.Me on the other hand I didnt work very hard at all but I did get my new cooling system in the spitfire. first I took two weeks to flush and clean the inside of the motor. then replaced the water pump, thermostat,V belt, hoses, radiator, even a little paint so I wouldnt have to take it all apart again when the paint job starts. I also had to rewire and put the harness in a loom them figure out where the proper location should be.
Its running at 170 sitting still so I'll be taking it for a ride today and a beautiful day it is for it too. My grand daughters head perked right up when I mentioned going out for a ride in it today so it looks like I'll have some company with me all day. I'll post some pics of the work later I just want to get out there right now. See ya.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
When your working hard taking pics isn't done much and rarely even thought of.Me on the other hand I didnt work very hard at all but I did get my new cooling system in the spitfire. first I took two weeks to flush and clean the inside of the motor. then replaced the water pump, thermostat,V belt, hoses, radiator, even a little paint so I wouldnt have to take it all apart again when the paint job starts. I also had to rewire and put the harness in a loom them figure out where the proper location should be.
Its running at 170 sitting still so I'll be taking it for a ride today and a beautiful day it is for it too. My grand daughters head perked right up when I mentioned going out for a ride in it today so it looks like I'll have some company with me all day. I'll post some pics of the work later I just want to get out there right now. See ya.
When I think of the projects I have had that I never took a photo of, CRAP.

Brian
Old 04-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Big Jim

Last journal entry: Project Nova: Tornado Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
When I think of the projects I have had that I never took a photo of, CRAP.

Brian
You, me and a hundred thousand others. :rolleyes Really wish I kad back all the pics I lost when my old laptop crashed. Lesson learned back everything up.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
I guess what I worked on was my clutch leg, holly crap is it sore and my back, Man is this car low to the ground. Its a blast but after 3 hrs of fairly hard driving it really wears an old guy out. But hey, for three hrs I felt like a kid again, a little wiser and a whole lot more careful but a kid just the same.
That little spitfire really burns rubber, My Grand daughters really love it, they stand up a hold on to the windshield and wave at everyone. when I got done riding one I'd drop her off and give my other grand daughter a ride then all their friends were there and got a ride, It took all day but I admit I got a kick out of riding the girls and their friends around today.
If I had one of these when I was 16 I would have known ALL the girls because they just LOVE these little sports cars.
This was the first time I've been able to drive this car more than a mile since I bought it and she performed flawlessly all day, temp sat at a steady 180. Check out this mess I think it may have overheated once or twice before I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02132.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	422321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02172.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	422329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02173.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	422337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02186.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	422353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02208.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	422369  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 04-29-2018 at 09:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-30-2018), adantessr (04-30-2018), idrivejunk (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:42 PM

After walking a hundred miles around the most awesome "car" show in Half moon Bay California I was pretty beat. But there is no way I am going to go a day without putting in my "five minutes" right now, I am driven. Anyway, got out there and welded up some holes under the gutter. I ground the welds and then sand blasted the gutter and the area where it welds in and then applied etch/weld through primer. I must have went back and turned on the welder 387 times to weld little spots I missed after I thought it was ready for primer, geez. But got it done and I am went into the house to collapse.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	422361  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-30-2018), idrivejunk (04-29-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in