The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1587 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Pugs, I didn't get a good enough look at your bed cover, is it "store-bought" , as they say in the hills? Check for loose bolts periodically after rear control arm bushings, I had to stake one nut. I am thrilled that you are close. Can't wait to begin the geriatric 327 taunting. See, there I go. 455, yo.

I have picture stories (nowhere near as good / funny as that Brian in a bubble pic from the weekend) but hate playing thread monoply so I'll wash n grub first so if anybody brought their camera today they have a sportin' chance to tell about it. Heck I may zonk out altogether, my back hurts somethin' fierce.

Good to be back in the GTP, I feel more squarely positioned in relation to the world. It helps that I now believe the Cat seat is going to work out alright. Don't wanna speak toosoon but it looks encouraging, the seat positioning conflict solution. On plan C now.
Taunt away....you have until the rod is done and the injected 496 hits the street.....ha....

Bed cover is store bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5293.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	422857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2594 (Medium).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	422865  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
DAAUUM !!!!! Is that monster going in the Chrysler?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Taunt away....you have until the rod is done and the injected 496 hits the street.....ha....

You guys see what Pugsy did there? I caught brand loyalty overtones off that. Ah, thanks man. Allow me to consult the Mayan calendar, paper ones won't do. Tell ya whut, you might be a threat then if fossil fuel deposits yet remain in the earth. At any rate, that ought to be long enough to get your boost plan together. Wheres the stick? Sic' em, Pokey!

If I was in your town I'd go do a truly wicked drift around the fast food drive-in with my copious Pontiac torque, then stand on my hood and shout "You Chevy lovers are about as sharp as a sack full of assorted wet rats and mice! I bet you all have yellow SS stripes up your back. We're having a pow-wow at the city limits if you want to see some FAST stuff. I'll be there yesterday waiting for the lot of you." Bwaaaaaa RRt AAAaaaaa rrt aaaaaaa.... Smoky exit.

Oh crap, pictures. I got carried away bench racing there. DBM's Firebird might spell trouble for the Camino if we're doin the time slips thing.

I still want to snoop around that tonneau out of curiosity. Used to sell extangs for awhile. Bed covers are high. Are you pleased with it? I think it looks pretty sweet.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,652 Times in 4,285 Posts
Quote:

That cover looks pretty nice.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Grand Prix User

Bedtime version:

I cut this, and put slot A in the top of the floor rail. I'm calling it Grand Prix technology from my 99s.

Made tab B

Got the seat centered up on the column

And now... still high but better. Potentially feasible. Worth mentioning is the Biscayne has 315 rubber in stock wells. Cat gets 335 rubber and needs 2" of tub, both sides

Finally, some sort of visual reference with which to dispute my insanity. I am seeing these pics next to each other first time here, just like you. We'll need more components in place to evaluate further. I think. Started the day with a 3" height difference and may have whittled down half that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-01-2018), MARTINSR (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 PM

I thought I was going to get the gutter welded in, but it took me quite a while to get it screwed up there to weld, thus, no welding. But it will be ready tomorrow, WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 AM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
DAAUUM !!!!! Is that monster going in the Chrysler?
Oh yeah.
And I plan to get 20 MPG out of it on the highway...ha.....

No one ever said that all plans will come to fruition though.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
You guys see what Pugsy did there? I caught brand loyalty overtones off that. Ah, thanks man. Allow me to consult the Mayan calendar, paper ones won't do. Tell ya whut, you might be a threat then if fossil fuel deposits yet remain in the earth. At any rate, that ought to be long enough to get your boost plan together. Wheres the stick? Sic' em, Pokey!

If I was in your town I'd go do a truly wicked drift around the fast food drive-in with my copious Pontiac torque, then stand on my hood and shout "You Chevy lovers are about as sharp as a sack full of assorted wet rats and mice! I bet you all have yellow SS stripes up your back. We're having a pow-wow at the city limits if you want to see some FAST stuff. I'll be there yesterday waiting for the lot of you." Bwaaaaaa RRt AAAaaaaa rrt aaaaaaa.... Smoky exit.

Oh crap, pictures. I got carried away bench racing there. DBM's Firebird might spell trouble for the Camino if we're doin the time slips thing.

I still want to snoop around that tonneau out of curiosity. Used to sell extangs for awhile. Bed covers are high. Are you pleased with it? I think it looks pretty sweet.
The cover is ultra slim in height. Not more than 3/8". I had to order a handle/latch set for it as it came with a ridiculous latch/pull strap set up. If the straps fell into the box, you couldn't get in without a coat hanger to pull the latch on the inside of the gate.

Of course the front cannot seal the water out, so the drain system is in the works. A wee bit of plumbing to do yet.

Oh, BTW, and the El Camino wouldn't be fast enough to smoke a VW Beetle.

Pugsy, out...going to the can to wax me back stripes.....hey, maybe my assistant will do it. No, I don't think so. I asked her to slather my back with ointment a while back and she refused. I even threw her a bone and she refused still...I told her she could shave my back first....unbelievable!..still no....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-01-2018), MARTINSR (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
The cover is ultra slim in height. Not more than 3/8". I had to order a handle/latch set for it as it came with a ridiculous latch/pull strap set up. If the straps fell into the box, you couldn't get in without a coat hanger to pull the latch on the inside of the gate.

Of course the front cannot seal the water out, so the drain system is in the works. A wee bit of plumbing to do yet.

Oh, BTW, and the El Camino wouldn't be fast enough to smoke a VW Beetle.

Pugsy, out...going to the can to wax me back stripes.....hey, maybe my assistant will do it. No, I don't think so. I asked her to slather my back with ointment a while back and she refused. I even threw her a bone and she refused still...I told her she could shave my back first....unbelievable!..still no....
Smoking beetles? Ew. Double ew with the back shaving reference One can only expect so much from an assistant, I reckon. At least I taunted an engine pic out of you.

I'd like to peek at the cover stuff when done, sounds logical what you're doing by adding a bit o plumbing. I did notice it looks ultra slim at the back corners. I'll know you're done when you show it good.

By the way, that seat in the Cat is dreamy to sit in. Like sitting on a cloud, it is. That will do for a Pontiac.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Hey Brian check this out I saw the top of the roof over the fence and went next door to see what it was. Looks like one of the tree guys got him a project like yours. It barely fits on the trailer.
Almost as long as the '52 2 ton I hauled back from near 4 corners, Colorado. Over a thousand miles and plenty of stares on the highway. 18 ft trailer and I had tail/brake signals clamped to the rear of the bed because it hung over about 3 ft...

Nothing better than ice road hauling 8,000# of truck and trailer thru the Rocky mountains in December...

Rest stop in Iowa

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-01-2018), adantessr (05-01-2018), MARTINSR (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Almost as long as the '52 2 ton I hauled back from near 4 corners, Colorado. Over a thousand miles and plenty of stares on the highway. 18 ft trailer and I had tail/brake signals clamped to the rear of the bed because it hung over about 3 ft...

Nothing better than ice road hauling 8,000# of truck and trailer thru the Rocky mountains in December...

Rest stop in Iowa

You are a friggin stud hauling that sucker like that! OMG do you make us out here in SF bay area look like wimps! Geeez, most people here would pull over on the side of the road bawling after towing that sucker a mile in those conditions, me included!

Brian
Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Apparently, you didn't throw her the right "bone"...
Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You are a friggin stud hauling that sucker like that! OMG do you make us out here in SF bay area look like wimps! Geeez, most people here would pull over on the side of the road bawling after towing that sucker a mile in those conditions, me included!

Brian
Semis do travel that route too...At the switch backs at Wolf Creek Pass, I was wishing I had chains. There was just enough bare patches of blacktop to grab, but I was using both lanes to get to them and all 4 wheels were spinning going back up...I actually had my hand on the door handle, cause if it started sliding back down, I was going to bail, seriously, there is barely a guard rail there, because they got tired of replacing it so often. Hundreds of feet down to the river below...

It is beautiful country...

The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,599 Posts
Seems the things we want don't always fit as planned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 GMC 3500  ,,20 in wheels 002.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	422913   Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 GMC 3500  ,,20 in wheels 005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	422921  
Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,599 Posts
Quote:

Is that intake and injection a Ram Jet,,looks like it would be easy to mount a Turbo or Two.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in