The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1588 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Is that intake and injection a Ram Jet,,looks like it would be easy to mount a Turbo or Two.
Edelbrock Pro Flo XT

It might be easy but I'm anti turbo.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Is that intake and injection a Ram Jet,,looks like it would be easy to mount a Turbo or Two.
+1

Biscayne gone, new meat on the block. 51 Ford, in for aftermarket frame and Coyote.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Edelbrock Pro Flo XT

It might be easy but I'm anti turbo.
Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown. Sayeth the daily blown Pontiac driver.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

got my tool box today. Pretty happy about it. Anywho, this is an update on some cool new tools I got recently.

3M makes this quick set glue and every shop I know that carries the stuff buys it in tiny cartridges. The assumption is that the only gun that will work with the cartridges are $60 3M guns. After reading some Amazon reviews I realized this $30 Cox gun works and no modifications or anything. That glue is very common for broken rocker tabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	423017

finding an air rivet gun that does steel 1/4" for under $300 is rare. The guys that have these guns paid a lot of money for them. They are really nice and compact but you won't catch me paying $300 for a rivet gun I'll barely use. If I assembled aircrafts different story. $89 and it does 1/4" just fine.

Name:	unnamed3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	423025

been having my eye on this 3/8" ratchet for a while. After buying the non fuel 1/4" cordless ratchet from Milwaukee once these new fuel ratchets came out with 55 ft lbs I was tempted. Do I need it? NO! But after using the other cordless ratchet I don't want to go back to air, for that anyways. Thing is, I don't do much assembly here so I haven't used it much so far but it will be ready when there's no helper putting my jobs together.

Name:	unnamed1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	423033

My coworker has these suitcases for clips and they are perfect. I copied his idea and also sorted out my bulbs. I did this after purchasing a tool box on line. I thought it would be a great opportunity to reorganize my clips and bolts in anticipation of my new box.

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	423041

Today my box was delivered and what a friggen deal!$540 for this box and it even came with a steel pegboard, bins for the pegboard, a power strip with USB, and the wood top is great! Might consider buying some stainless and taking it to my friends shop to use his brake and make it a stainless top. Anywho, a box like this from Strap-On is about $13k. I mean really? Does it come with beers and hookers? What is all that money paying for?

Name:	unnamed 4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	423049
Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,599 Posts
Looks like a great investment,,i especially like the center wheels ,it helps distrubite the load,,those things are heavy when you get them full of tools

,i am still moving tools from my other boxes to the new on I will keep in the basement..mostly hand tools and a few 18V 1/4 power tools.

mine is not as big as the one you have only 60 in wide,,but I wont use it mabe once a month or so ,when working on mowers tillers etc,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1551 (1).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	423057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	423065  
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Matco is a solid brand. We get reps from Mac, Snap On, and Matco so every week we have new catalogs for all three. I kid you not I open The Snap On one and will see a $300 die grinder or a small socket set for $300 on the first page and it instantly gets thrown in the trash without even flipping any more pages. The Matco ones are the only ones with decent prices. Nice box! I also like the wheels in the middle as my huge harbor freight box at home does not have them and the rubber on the wheels cracked because of it.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
Matco is a solid brand. We get reps from Mac, Snap On, and Matco so every week we have new catalogs for all three. I kid you not I open The Snap On one and will see a $300 die grinder or a small socket set for $300 on the first page and it instantly gets thrown in the trash without even flipping any more pages. The Matco ones are the only ones with decent prices. Nice box! I also like the wheels in the middle as my huge harbor freight box at home does not have them and the rubber on the wheels cracked because of it.
I'm really liking the Matco air tools that I've gotten.
A set of die grinders, and an air saw.
The die grinders especially are about as efficient on air use as I could hope for. And that is exactly why I got them. My compressor is a little one, and all the ones I'd bought or borrowed to try we just too much of an air hog.

Several years ago Mac had a sale on a driver bit set with a tiny ratchet. Apparently you can't get that ratchet separate, and it has been indispensable for me in several places at work. I'd probably cry if it broke.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,652 Times in 4,285 Posts
Speaking of tools, I stopped by Harbor Freight and got myself a little belt grinder for home. It's not as nice as the quality ones off a tool truck but it will do the job for me at home..I am thinking..we will see. I knew I would be welding my passenger side rain gutter in and around the corners even the little 2" grinder was making the job of grinding those welds tough, this little belt baby did the job, very cool.

I also didn't have the fight with the welds I did on the other side being I cleaned up the weld thru primer with my spot blaster at each hole, that made a bunch of difference!

I am mooching off my son and using his welding helmet the last few nights. It's Jackson and cost about $325, not a cheapie for sure, but DAAAAAMN that sucker is nice!

Got my passenger gutter welded in, and finished off ready to move on, WHOOOO HOOOO!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8854.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	423105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8855.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	423113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8857.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	423121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8858.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	423129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8859.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	423137  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-02-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
i bought this one from Matco truck, one of the guys in the shop bought it kept it about a month and then traded it back in on a Hue box,so i bought it for $800 and it list for $2200,,

About all the men in the shop have swiched to Cornwell they come by weekly just like SnapOn and Mac and Matco all come by,,i had a shaft replaced in a screwdriver -free- from SnapOn and bought a 9/16 open end boxed in,to replace one i lost..$22 can you believe that..havent bought any thing else from them in a while,
I only buy from them ,what I cant get anywhere else.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
I'm really liking the Matco air tools that I've gotten.
A set of die grinders, and an air saw.
The die grinders especially are about as efficient on air use as I could hope for. And that is exactly why I got them. My compressor is a little one, and all the ones I'd bought or borrowed to try we just too much of an air hog.

Several years ago Mac had a sale on a driver bit set with a tiny ratchet. Apparently you can't get that ratchet separate, and it has been indispensable for me in several places at work. I'd probably cry if it broke.
I have the Small die grinder and angle grinders from Matco very smooth and the ballbearings make it quiet also ,,i really like them
But as far as the Air Hog,my Huchins DA air file uses the most air of any of my tools exept mabe a 1/2 impact.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
i bought this one from Matco truck, one of the guys in the shop bought it kept it about a month and then traded it back in on a Hue box,so i bought it for $800 and it list for $2200,,

About all the men in the shop have swiched to Cornwell they come by weekly just like SnapOn and Mac and Matco all come by,,i had a shaft replaced in a screwdriver -free- from SnapOn and bought a 9/16 open end boxed in,to replace one i lost..$22 can you believe that..havent bought any thing else from them in a while,
I only buy from them ,what I cant get anywhere else.
My God has it changed, back when I got into this business if you had ANYTHING but a SnapOn box you were a LOOSER! But it has changed quite a bit as I say. I have a Harbor Freight box myself at work, but it's a cheapie piece of crap. They do have pretty nice ones for a few more bucks, and far less than the tool truck guys. I couldn't believe a while ago when I saw a Mac Box like I use to have at work, which is now at home, on the back of a Snap On truck one day at the shop. I asked about it, it was a trade in and used of course. He was selling it for $2000! It was the exact same box I have that I bought NEW for $1300 about 15 years before! But the difference between cheap tools and the top end is a big gray area now, there was a time when the cheap tool WAS a piece of crap, end of discussion. But today, it is a big gray area, many cheapie tools are every bit as good, and in some cases even better than the high end version, most certainly has changed.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

I know people cringe at just hearing the name Harbor Freight Tools, but their tool boxes get pretty high ratings in comparison reviews. I've always had Kennedy, or Craftsman, but a few years back I wanted a rolling box to be able to take parts and tools out to my car for jobs outside the garage. I decided to try a HF that was on sale for $99 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price.
I wouldn't turn my nose up at HF tool boxes if I was looking for one anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-02-2018), boothboy (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Speaking of tools, I stopped by Harbor Freight and got myself a little belt grinder for home. It's not as nice as the quality ones off a tool truck but it will do the job for me at home..I am thinking..we will see. I knew I would be welding my passenger side rain gutter in and around the corners even the little 2" grinder was making the job of grinding those welds tough, this little belt baby did the job, very cool.

I also didn't have the fight with the welds I did on the other side being I cleaned up the weld thru primer with my spot blaster at each hole, that made a bunch of difference!

I am mooching off my son and using his welding helmet the last few nights. It's Jackson and cost about $325, not a cheapie for sure, but DAAAAAMN that sucker is nice!

Got my passenger gutter welded in, and finished off ready to move on, WHOOOO HOOOO!

Brian
i havent tried one of the belt sanders ,i saw Eastwood has a couple of different sizes i thought about ordering them but wanted to see how everyone liked them before i ordered,
Old 05-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I know people cringe at just hearing the name Harbor Freight Tools, but their tool boxes get pretty high ratings in comparison reviews. I've always had Kennedy, or Craftsman, but a few years back I wanted a rolling box to be able to take parts and tools out to my car for jobs outside the garage. I decided to try a HF that was on sale for $99 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price.
I wouldn't turn my nose up at HF tool boxes if I was looking for one anymore.
This one here is the cheapest HF has, I think I paid $105 for it! It IS crap, it's a piece of crap, if I were to do it again I would have gotten the next step up which is about $165. It does the job basically, but it has fell over once being the wheels are so close together, I think I could yank the drawers open by hand! Which sucks being I have a full set of Snap On wrenches where ONE Of them costs more than the box! LOL But it's doing the job. I made the shelf on the top out of a door threshold. That was a great idea, very practical. The creeper mount too, made that, works awesome.

The box in the bottom was given to me by my son who got it from Harbor Freight when he worked there, that, a bottom box and top box that were damaged in shipping. I gave the other two pieces to a guy here at the shop that needed it at home. But that little addition to my little cart helped out a lot.

It's like I have said for a long time, there ARE tools that are every bit as good at HF, and there are some that are out and out dangerous and CRAP, you just have to figure out what is what.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP5110.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	423161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5106.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	423169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5107.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	423177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5109.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	423185  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
i havent tried one of the belt sanders ,i saw Eastwood has a couple of different sizes i thought about ordering them but wanted to see how everyone liked them before i ordered,
You just reminded me to check one of the 3M belts we have here to see if they are the same size. I hope they are, the HF belts are not very good. They cost twice as much ($21 for 10) but damn they are WAY higher quality and last much longer.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-02-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in