The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1589 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,759 Times in 4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You just reminded me to check one of the 3M belts we have here to see if they are the same size. I hope they are, the HF belts are not very good. They cost twice as much ($21 for 10) but damn they are WAY higher quality and last much longer.

Brian
I love the little belt grinders. I have found though that the glue dries out and if you let them get old they come apart as fast as you can put them on.

That probably pertai s to the cheap ones more than the good ones.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 06:31 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Speaking of tools, I stopped by Harbor Freight and got myself a little belt grinder for home. It's not as nice as the quality ones off a tool truck but it will do the job for me at home..I am thinking..we will see. I knew I would be welding my passenger side rain gutter in and around the corners even the little 2" grinder was making the job of grinding those welds tough, this little belt baby did the job, very cool.

I also didn't have the fight with the welds I did on the other side being I cleaned up the weld thru primer with my spot blaster at each hole, that made a bunch of difference!

I am mooching off my son and using his welding helmet the last few nights. It's Jackson and cost about $325, not a cheapie for sure, but DAAAAAMN that sucker is nice!

Got my passenger gutter welded in, and finished off ready to move on, WHOOOO HOOOO!

Brian

That'll work. Have had only one belt sander but heard the ones with the smaller belts make the belts wear out faster. It'll work though. They are a great addition no matter what brand, as long as it works better than their air saw The 3m belts are very good. The 80 grit believe it or not lasts longer than the rougher grit. They do make two sizes. One is 18"x1/2" and the other "I think" is 12"x3/8". If you ever decide to get another one check Astro. They make a cheaper yet solid one.

If I cut out a rear body I can make one last for all the spot welds, but since I don't pay for the belts I use two. Best way to quickly and cleanly cut out spot welds. No comparison.

Last edited by tech69; 05-02-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,759 Times in 4,037 Posts
Hey guys! Just saw my first lightning bug for the year! Spring is coming after all!

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-02-2018), MARTINSR (05-02-2018)

Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Hey guys! Just saw my first lightning bug for the year! Spring is coming after all!

John
Turn off any outdoor lighting so they can find each other!

Today was trying, but I figured an IDJ day was coming. Back to the GT, the GTP has an issue so I left it at work and got a humiliating ride to the GT. More little dramas than I can even tell, and also little progress to show. Hammered my thumb, for one thing. But all is well and heres a post with bare steel and concrete as fodder. The area shown has been as confusing to build as it is to look at, I assure you. I am winning the catseat battle though, its just been a mental quagmire at times. A sticky wicket, this part is.

The area starting to look like an Arkansas road map will serve as body and seat mount. The whole area's mental pic won't print all at once so I am taking it one page at a time with each corner of the seat, and making right side pieces as I go. Its a work in mighty slow progress at this point but visible progress is right around the corner.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-03-2018), tech69 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Heres a daily driver today scenario chock full of IDJ circumstance and logic. A tale of tripping over one's own tail...

In an unusual and inexplicable move, I cranked up my trusty blown Pontiac at Pontiac time today. Thats 4:55 in Pontiac speak, and according to the Pontiac wall clock. So I go wash up and am about to hit the time clock, head for the blown and injected Pontiac... and boss man walks by...

Your car is leaking coolant. Really fast. Painter sez it looks like it just started.

Huh? I waltz out. Yep, she is bleeding a torrent from right up front. Nifty. Um...

Boss comes up again. At five sharp, we are to be gone. He asks if I want to borrow the blue Ford. Yikes, it has flames. Um... crap I need to clock out. So I do.

Heres the Ford keys, you good? Um, yeah. If you're gonna be leaking you might wanna pull it onto the gravel. Will do. Have a good night. You, too.

OK, gotta think. Dad has the GT five miles away, let me text them. I did. Hit send, and at that moment turbo Acura guy exits, last man out. Oh boy he is loving this. I would endure that before the flamed Ford though. Just kidding but yeah, must GP it if at all possible.

Need a ride? Ugh... this is the guy who picked me up from two of my major wrecks. In that damn clown car thats faster than anything I got. The all is trying to tell me something, but I haven't gotten the message yet but thats beside the point. Dad's was sorta on his way so I took the ride, got the GT.

There had only been opportunity for a five second glance under my hood before I had to abandon all thoughts and get hauled off. All that inside a couple minutes and I felt just like I had been hit again. Suddenly, forget your hurt car and jam it into emergency mode so nobody is inconvenienced but me. Flash backs.:roll eyes:

That is a very apt string of smilies. Went back to shop parking lot, swapped stuff, watched GTP run 15-20 min, never leaked. Wet right rad tank area, lower hose hard against trans line and harness. Lot of coolant at fan mount boss and level sensor. Dried it. Revved it. Nothing. Just before giving up, moved head right, saw drip on cap. Recently replaced, was suspect when heater elbows were going bad. Sticking an old one in pocket for tomorrow. I remember thinking this cap doesn't go on tight enough. Reckon my dunce cap does, though! Why did it do what it did, like it did?

I drive junk.

Hittin' the hay. Screw today.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 PM
put up or shut up

this is how Mar and Apr have been for me in the biggest corpo shop in the nation...

In March we were the most productive shop in the region vs 100+ of our shops in the area. We got shop of the month from Geico and we are the Geico team. During this month I was the most productive member of the team and may have been the busiest guy in the shop.

April comes and the work comes to a halt. They did a great job keeping me busy, whether it be checking in parts, sweeping, cleaning, or cleaning off racks. Of course this is other than normal duties. That's nice of them being what I get paid. Then the work started to shift away from me. There wasn't enough work for all of us. I have a feeling for the first half of the month the shop didn't make money off of me due to the work available. So for the last two weeks I'm going home early. I'm the guy that makes the most on the team so I have to work much harder, can't horse around like the helpers or the other techs, and if I enter a conversation for some laughs or whatever, he'll tell me to get back to work or something. So in a nutshell, when it's busy they want me to carry the load, but when it's slow my pay makes me the first guy to go. Thing is, these guys who get paid less are not getting paid what they are legally entitled to. If you have a tool box with tools in Ca you automatically get x2 minimum wage. That would give them $22 hr out here, not much less than what I get. So I'm being sent home over my wages vs someone's illegal wages. I almost want to ask them what's going on and give them my views on this but at the same time I don't want to sound like I'm threatening them with legal recourse. In a nutshell, I don't have much respect for them anymore. Not sure whether to be a little more patient or heed the red flags....good grief!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:41 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,226 Times in 1,909 Posts
The El is certified and at home. Took it for a drive and it's running super hot.

First thing is to do is to toss the stupid flex fan and install a clutch fan.

Will pull the thermostat also. Summer car and cool engines are what I like. No ECM to satisfy with engine temp, so no worries there.

After this doesn't help, it will be time to locate someone to re core my rad....ya...right.....where to find someone to do this???

One good thing, it sounds really good when driving. Cruise not loud, but a really nice rumble on acceleration.

Another good thing, a couple of nice chicks pull up beside me waving and giving the thumbs up, ha....bought the car twenty years too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Oh yeah.
And I plan to get 20 MPG out of it on the highway...ha.....

No one ever said that all plans will come to fruition though.
With that OD unit it probably will on the hwy.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
The El is certified and at home. Took it for a drive and it's running super hot.

First thing is to do is to toss the stupid flex fan and install a clutch fan.

Will pull the thermostat also. Summer car and cool engines are what I like. No ECM to satisfy with engine temp, so no worries there.

After this doesn't help, it will be time to locate someone to re core my rad....ya...right.....where to find someone to do this???

One good thing, it sounds really good when driving. Cruise not loud, but a really nice rumble on acceleration.

Another good thing, a couple of nice chicks pull up beside me waving and giving the thumbs up, ha....bought the car twenty years too late.
Hooray! Better late than never. Glad you are happy with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,652 Times in 4,285 Posts
Got the right inside windshield moulding cut, fit and finished. My gas welding is getting back up to speed, butt welding this super thin stuff is not easy, welded it with my jewelers torch with .030 mig wire as filler. I am getting better at it. Hit it with 80 grit 3" disc and then 320, wham, ready for chrome. WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8862.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	423257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8863.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	423265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8865.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	423273  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-03-2018), idrivejunk (05-03-2018), Rip VW (05-03-2018), whinny (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 AM
put up or shut up

Martin, don't know a thing about gas welding. Is this jewelry torch one of those tiny torches or is it just a tip for a gas welding set up? Will do some research but curious to know.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 AM

It's a complete torch kit, that is miniature.

The smallest tip you could solder on a circuit board!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Jewele...-/252387144460

The price has came way down, I could swear I paid about a hundred bucks for mine like 10 years ago?

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
whinny (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Got the right inside windshield moulding cut, fit and finished. My gas welding is getting back up to speed, butt welding this super thin stuff is not easy, welded it with my jewelers torch with .030 mig wire as filler. I am getting better at it. Hit it with 80 grit 3" disc and then 320, wham, ready for chrome. WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian
I always smile when I see welds like that on thin stuff.

And it's an even bigger grin when I can pull it off! (which ain't often)

Does that torch take different regulators than a more 'normal' sized torch?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I love the little belt grinders. I have found though that the glue dries out and if you let them get old they come apart as fast as you can put them on.

That probably pertai s to the cheap ones more than the good ones.

John
The 3M belts do work on the HF tool, they are about twice as much in price but last a LOT longer.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...SABEgL6zfD_BwE

And they even have "Scotch bright" belts of different grits! This is awesome for cleaning up metal prior to welding. https://www.zoro.com/scotch-brite-sa...iABEgJoBPD_BwE

Brian
Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
I always smile when I see welds like that on thin stuff.

And it's an even bigger grin when I can pull it off! (which ain't often)

Does that torch take different regulators than a more 'normal' sized torch?
The outer door window mouldings are even thinner! I didn't get my first one good enough for chrome, but it had a lot to do with where I had cut it years ago and left it in pieces when I started the top chop. I am hoping now with a little practice on the other parts I can weld this thinner one the next try. I could easily do it good enough for a little primer or bondo and paint it but I REALLY want these mouldings chromed.

You use your regular regulators, you just turn it down to about 2psi on the acy and 15psi on the oxy. The hose is very short on the Jewelers torch kit and they even rotted and had to be replaced. I had put hose for gas that I got at the Hardware store, it's clear. I have them hooked to regular torch hose so I have full freedom.

It's funny you should ask this because I use this stuff so little and my old man brain forgets stuff. I went to fire up the torch to weld this and I couldn't maintain a flame, crap, as soon as I turned the oxy on it blew it out, CRAP. I then noticed that I had the regulars set at your regular 5-25 and I turned them down, wham, got my flame.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in