The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1593 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

I have not done anything car related since last week.
I was setting in the house just after I finished the inner deck lid and decided it was a time for a break away for a while. I have been going going going and was about out of energy.

I convinced the wife to take a couple of days off and we made a road trip to my favorite place to relax, Astoria Oregon.

I played tourist and toured the Columbia River Maritime Museum. Watched some presentations on "Colombia River boat pilots and the small handful of the only pilots that navigate the Columbia river Bar. It is one of the most dangerous crossings in the world. It is also home of the 'Pacific Ocean graveyard of ships because of the number of vessels sunk there.

We took a cruise down the coast with an old friend in his 35 ft sailboat and had a blast. This was nice and I am glad I did it. Both the wife and I had the best time in years. I ate way to much fish,steak,giant prawns and about every other type of seafood.

The weather for us was perfect northwest weather. Mornings cool and sun in the mid day and some of the most awesome sunsets. The room had a fireplace and I would set back toast my toes by the fire, watch ships pass back and forth right in front of my room, and watch the sun go down.. I now know what ol Otis Redding was feeling when he was setting on the dock of the bay. just wasting time..

here is a nice sunset and also a ship passing by that was actually exchanging river pilots while under way right in front of my room. If you ever get to see any video of how the transfers are made by the columbia pilots you will have a new respect for these guys..

Well I gotta quit here and get back busy. I have a week of honeydews so the sooner these things are done the sooner I get back to the hot rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vac1.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	424137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vac2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	424145  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-07-2018), idrivejunk (05-07-2018), John long (05-07-2018), Too Many Projects (05-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,754 Times in 1,254 Posts
Sounds great! Next time turn east to Hood River And check this out. I'll guarantee you'll say, " Darn BB!! That place was great!!!

BB

Home - Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,769 Times in 4,040 Posts
I loved it out there too RIP but I can tell you, riding a motorcycle accross that Astoria bridge on a wimdy day is not my favorite thing to do.

I don't think I knew the air craft museum was there BB. I did go to the Boing up near Seattle. It was really interesting.

John

Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,668 Times in 4,291 Posts
And up in that area is the Evergreen Air Craft Museum where the Spruce Goose is. They had an SR-71 too.

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

Brian
Old 05-07-2018, 02:57 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I loved it out there too RIP but I can tell you, riding a motorcycle accross that Astoria bridge on a wimdy day is not my favorite thing to do.

I don't think I knew the air craft museum was there BB. I did go to the Boing up near Seattle. It was really interesting.

John
John it is a Transportation Museum and one of the best in the USA. Aircraft, automobiles, motorcycles, military vehicles, armament, restorations in progress, antique fly-ins, car club picnics and more. Radio's, electrics of all kinds, and it's growing.
Great place. To go. Both the Boeing and Evergreen Museum's are good also.

BB

(I went over that bridge a couple of times on a bike. Scared the living bejesus out of me! Don't fall!!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
John long (05-07-2018), Rip VW (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,619 Times in 2,757 Posts
Push-mowed front and back yard today after work. It was fairly warm. GT's A/C already is crap again. Grape is still indoors. Pressure washed east side of neighbor lady's house yesterday, then her driveway. About 3 hrs, long enough to start sunburn. Note to senior ladies: Tight blue jeans and little pink tops ain't for you anymore, sorry. Resist sweaty men please. Anyway as soon as I started to try it out on my driveway, equipment drama unfolded and I shut down and packed up that operation for the time being. Had to reserve sunny backroad roar time for the GP and me, and that was great. Sounds best with all the glass down. Enough about all that...

I finally was able to fully bolt up the driver's seat in the 59 Pontiac job today and its level, sturdy, and reasonably centered on the column. I ditched the slot-and-hook mount at the right rear corner. Well, actually I cut the hook off and made it a stepped bracket instead, so that all four corners will be able to use shims if desired. The outside uses a riser and nut tabs, the inside uses seperate brackets at each end, and most everything is made of 3/16" plate. 7/16" bolts attach all four corners to the floor frame.

I am ready to weld prep the seat pan then plug weld that plus driver's pan and trans hump extension. Then, once I butt the seat pan rear edge to the footwell... and make a filler pan to close up the driveshaft tunnel cutout...that wil complete the top side of the driver's side floor with the exception of simple, revised seat belt mount nuts.Some pieces for the passenger side are made, some prep is done too. Scoot your stool over here to the driver's side and lets have a look-see.

Did you find all the bolt holes there? Lets set the pan on (same pan, just flattened edges. Whole seat pan was tilted before this version) and bolt down the riser. See the right rear bracket, on the seat? Work in progress but its shaped OK.

Don't hurt yourself but here, look under it. Theres a good half inch under the seat track with it all the way back and that is agree-with-able. I'll be closing the tunnel cutout with a pan extension.

Thats shown with it all the way back. The cutout just clears the seat frame. This is where I felt comfortable, and I am confident that the full range of people sizes will fit nicely, although the seat position is slightly higher than stock.

This back corner of the cushion may need a trim because with the seat back any further, interference occurs.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-08-2018), boothboy (05-07-2018), Gearhead Poppa (05-07-2018), John long (05-07-2018), MARTINSR (05-07-2018), Too Many Projects (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Grand Prix User

You guys ever notice a cat making wierd faces and sounds when sitting on a windowsill observing an active birdfeeder through the glass? Thats me, looking at vacation pics and hearing songs of wonderful museums and thinking how do I get to the other side of the glass?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
boothboy (05-08-2018), MARTINSR (05-07-2018), Rip VW (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Lets discuss your a/c.
Is it factory original?

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,611 Posts
I have heard one of the happy monents is when you get your pool installed,,Well the second happy moment must be when it is Gone, cant wait to get some dirt filled and grass planted,,No more vacuuming pool cleaning or chemicals to buy,,Happy,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-08-2018), MARTINSR (05-07-2018), Rip VW (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,668 Times in 4,291 Posts
Every night when I get out to the garage to work on my truck I feel good coming back in, I accomplished something. Not tonight, I am bummed. This outer door window moulding is so damn thin I just can't pull it off. I can weld 20 gauge metal and finish it off metal finishing it to perfection without a problem. This 24 gauge, thought I had it, worked about an hour and a half on this ONE weld. And as I finished it in 320, I went through the damn thing! CRAP!

Now, this is to make it chromeable, if I give up on that, piece of cake. But damn it, I want it all in chrome, that is the look I want!

I am thinking maybe there is something out there that I can get and make it from scratch. Do any of you guys have an ideas on where I may find metal shaped like this? I have seen many guys with these trucks chopped with welded and moulded in mouldings, with plastic chrome edge mouldings, that sort of thing, now it's really clear why they go that route.

Back when I chopped it 40 years ago I cut the stainless ones and didn't even weld them, they just had a little seam, I am getting to think that isn't a bad idea. But I am thinking making it from scratch somehow, damn it. I am even tossing around the idea of making it out of 1/2" by an 1/8" thick strip. Bend it round in one piece, round it off on the outside and it would just be on the outside. The window channel completely covers the inside so this may be a thought.

But how about it, anyone have an ideas on some material go make it from scratch?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8907.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	424193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8908.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	424201  
Old 05-08-2018, 03:54 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Every night when I get out to the garage to work on my truck I feel good coming back in, I accomplished something. Not tonight, I am bummed. This outer door window moulding is so damn thin I just can't pull it off. I can weld 20 gauge metal and finish it off metal finishing it to perfection without a problem. This 24 gauge, thought I had it, worked about an hour and a half on this ONE weld. And as I finished it in 320, I went through the damn thing! CRAP!

Now, this is to make it chromeable, if I give up on that, piece of cake. But damn it, I want it all in chrome, that is the look I want!

I am thinking maybe there is something out there that I can get and make it from scratch. Do any of you guys have an ideas on where I may find metal shaped like this? I have seen many guys with these trucks chopped with welded and moulded in mouldings, with plastic chrome edge mouldings, that sort of thing, now it's really clear why they go that route.

Back when I chopped it 40 years ago I cut the stainless ones and didn't even weld them, they just had a little seam, I am getting to think that isn't a bad idea. But I am thinking making it from scratch somehow, damn it. I am even tossing around the idea of making it out of 1/2" by an 1/8" thick strip. Bend it round in one piece, round it off on the outside and it would just be on the outside. The window channel completely covers the inside so this may be a thought.

But how about it, anyone have an ideas on some material go make it from scratch?

Brian
A 1/8 x 1/2 bar would be really tough to make the radius the "hard" way.

Metal shapers use a Pullmax to make those kinds of shapes. Not sure if they would need to cut the shape of the door and then form it or not. My gut says yes because I just can't see how you could take that shape and bend it around to match the door, even if you turned it red hot.
Again, it has to bend the "hard" way.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:31 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,610 Posts
Except for taking most of the weekend off, to do yard work, I've been busting my butt to get this '71 Chevelle to alignment this morning. Yesterday was 12 HOURS and here it is 5:30 am the next day and I'm heading to the shop again. Still have ride height, pinion angle and wheelbase to set before 8:45. 4 corner alignment is at 10...

Matt, your seat mounting brackets will very sturdy, especially compared to the original method of welding a plate with 5/16" studs onto a sheetmetal floor to hold the buckets...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:25 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Lets discuss your a/c.
Is it factory original?

BB
Yep. '99 Grand Prix, no cold on driver's side plus it leaks. OK, maybe a little cold when it has enough refrigerant. Not worth anyone's time or thought. Probably a trick anyway...
Old 05-08-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Brian
Is there any particular reason you can't use you're little magic jeweler's torch and weld up the hole, or just tired of dealing with something so thin?
If we were a little closer, I'd say let's try my new TIG. I can do 22ga mild steel fairly easily, so I wouldn't expect 24ga to be too much worse.

On the other side, who says it has to made of one piece? If you do short sections of straight channel, you can approximate a curve. I've seen a lot of turbo plumbing done that way on the diesel pickups. Maybe not the prettiest in the world, but if it's thick enough material it'd be easy enough to weld that you may not mind the 22,397 tiny welds per side.

Or do you even have to have a curved cross-section? If you made it in 2-3 loooooong pieces (bead roller/shrinker/stretcher?) with straight sides and welded them up, would that work?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

Brian
Use a bead roller and make a loop the size and shape of the molding face in 18 ga. Trim so all you have is the bead. Make a matching hoop from a 20 gauge strip with a 90 degree bend in it (little snips to go around corners). Fit this inside the door and bend past 90 degrees, then bond or weld the face to that. I don't know how the idea grabs you but perhaps it can seed a usable alternative idea. To me, the hero solution would be to eliminate the need for an edge molding somehow. Happy head scratching.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »