The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1613 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #24181 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,882
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4,299
Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My wife is worried that they will come back for their jack. I seriously doubt it.

Brian
That was un-nerving but yeah. Hey leave it out there with fishing line attached to a bell tonight just in case. Stack the bricks next to the front door.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24182 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 02:43 PM
123pugsy's Avatar
Purists Hate Me
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 57
Posts: 3,996
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 7,938
Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Scum are pitiful aren't they!

Brian

I'll bet dollars to donuts that there are less scum in Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-25-2018)
  #24183 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 60
Posts: 16,155
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,291
Thanked 6,799 Times in 4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'll bet dollars to donuts that there are less scum in Idaho.
And you can carry your gun with you and everyone knows it, geee, I wonder if there is less crime?


Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-25-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (05-25-2018), adantessr (05-28-2018)
 
  #24184 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
123pugsy's Avatar
Purists Hate Me
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 57
Posts: 3,996
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 7,938
Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Good eyes on the air horn, guys. I hope it wasn't me who inadvertently over tightened the bolts. Picked up another for parts and got it back together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-25-2018)
  #24185 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 1,785
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2,233
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Good eyes on the air horn, guys. I hope it wasn't me who inadvertently over tightened the bolts. Picked up another for parts and got it back together.
Very common problem with those carbs. Using a mounting bolt thru the top cover was a major mistake by Rochester. I like the base gasket that is thick with a plastic spacer so you KNOW when the bolt is snug, NOT tight. I use a super light skim of gasket sealer on both sides of the base gasket to insure sealing without cranking on the mounting bolts. Letting it sit overnight is a big plus to prevent the sealer from getting misplaced by vacuum. Many people over tighten those bolts and bend the cover...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2018)
  #24186 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 1,785
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2,233
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,663 Posts
Glad it's Friday. I've been so busy this week, I can't remember what all I did. Tuesday, my neighbor brought his 72 Vette back because the dash lights and signal indicators never worked right after we had the dash apart a few years ago. I found a ground wire that I missed putting back on and got everything working but also discovered his headlight switch was wonky, so ordered a new one that arrived today...have I already posted this ???
Yesterday, I had 23 hail dents removed from my '11 Silverado for $400.
Today, I brought the '62 Impala SS home from storage and will drive it to a Chevelle Club tour/meeting tomorrow, since I STILL don't have a Chevelle to drive. I did say "hello" to my '70 SS Chevelle at the same storage location..."someday"...

I ordered a new seat spring, bun and track assemblies for the driver seat in the Impala and a complete seat cover set in the original Turquoise from Ciadella today too. It SHOULD be here a week before Back to the Fifties and I'll see how much I can get installed before going to that with the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2018), adantessr (05-28-2018), Gearhead Poppa (05-25-2018), idrivejunk (05-25-2018), John long (05-26-2018), MARTINSR (05-25-2018)
  #24187 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,975
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 215
Thanked 406 Times in 331 Posts
Started mocking up a 72 in cab fuel tank into my 87 truck.

Bit more cutting after this.



It fits in there real nice.


I moved the seat all the way back and it hit the tank by the filler neck so I decided to raise it.



Raised the seat up to just under the rear window trim.





Bad photo but there is a good 1/2" of space with the seat all the way back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2018), Too Many Projects (05-25-2018)
  #24188 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Washington
Age: 65
Posts: 848
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,141
Thanked 924 Times in 521 Posts
Mr cozwurth ,

I had this Manufactured home custom built back in 1995. I had what is called "The Super Good Sense" home insulation package added. It is basically like yours with plumbing and electrical close to the floor and a ton of insulation then the plastic sheeting over everything. The had plywood access hatches in the plastic at key points in the plumbing and electrical. The walls are 2X6 and rockwool insulated and the ceiling has a ton of insulation.

When they were permitting the house the county gave them a list of requirements in foundation vents and Yes Plastic on the ground. No bare ground to be showing all must be covered. The foundation vents were to be a certain size based on the square footage of the house and must be open year round.

Now as long as I have lived in this house I have been comfortable. My feet don't get cold and the floors are warm. When you go down to the crawlspace it is dry as can be. That is not an easy feat in itself here in Worshington!

I would say lay the plastic and leave the vents open year round. No excess moisture here at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2018), cozwurth (05-26-2018)
  #24189 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:16 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 60
Posts: 16,155
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,291
Thanked 6,799 Times in 4,345 Posts
I got one of the upper inner pieces trimmed to fit. I have to tell you, this is tough, the fact that it's double panel changes everything. I can't weld this piece all together and then put it in that I can figure, it's going to have to be welded into place piece by piece. So I am thinking I am going to do a butt weld with backing and MIG the whole thing.

I will need to get the outside all in shape, prime the inside then weld all these parts together inside, it's a toughie.

The other photo is of a little nibbler that I forgot I had! It was right in my tool box with the other air tools, geez, I could have been using this on a number of steps.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9038.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	427241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9036.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	427249  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (05-26-2018), Rip VW (05-26-2018), whinny (05-25-2018)
  #24190 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2018, 02:54 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,727
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,543
Thanked 7,972 Times in 4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got one of the upper inner pieces trimmed to fit. I have to tell you, this is tough, the fact that it's double panel changes everything. I can't weld this piece all together and then put it in that I can figure, it's going to have to be welded into place piece by piece. So I am thinking I am going to do a butt weld with backing and MIG the whole thing.

I will need to get the outside all in shape, prime the inside then weld all these parts together inside, it's a toughie.

The other photo is of a little nibbler that I forgot I had! It was right in my tool box with the other air tools, geez, I could have been using this on a number of steps.

Brian
I wonder if the shrinkage will be an issue for you. It will not be possible to planish it with a dolly behind it. If it does shrink much, you are going to end up high instead of low at the seams.

What would you think about slightly pre-stretching the edges and allowing it to shrink into shape?

LOL,....Just the ramblings of a man who is awake at 4:30 am!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2018)
  #24191 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2018, 05:41 AM
123pugsy's Avatar
Purists Hate Me
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 57
Posts: 3,996
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 7,938
Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I wonder if the shrinkage will be an issue for you. It will not be possible to planish it with a dolly behind it. If it does shrink much, you are going to end up high instead of low at the seams.

What would you think about slightly pre-stretching the edges and allowing it to shrink into shape?

LOL,....Just the ramblings of a man who is awake at 4:30 am!

John



Excellent idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24192 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 1,785
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2,233
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,663 Posts
I have one of those nibblers too and have only used it twice...OMG the mess from all those tiny crescent shaped cuttings flying everywhere and they are SHARP, when you find them with your hand. Better make certain you are on the right side of the cut line too, or there's a big gap to fill.

I used it to trim this q-panel. You can see the pile of nibbles in the left corner of the skin, but they flew all over the shop too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-26-2018)
  #24193 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,727
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,543
Thanked 7,972 Times in 4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I have one of those nibblers too and have only used it twice...OMG the mess from all those tiny crescent shaped cuttings flying everywhere and they are SHARP, when you find them with your hand. Better make certain you are on the right side of the cut line too, or there's a big gap to fill.

I used it to trim this q-panel. You can see the pile of nibbles in the left corner of the skin, but they flew all over the shop too.

I have had one for several years and have never put an air line coupler on it. Don't know why. Just never felt like I needed to get it out.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24194 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 AM
cozwurth's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 383
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 425
Thanked 641 Times in 350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Mr cozwurth ,

I had this Manufactured home custom built back in 1995. I had what is called "The Super Good Sense" home insulation package added. It is basically like yours with plumbing and electrical close to the floor and a ton of insulation then the plastic sheeting over everything. The had plywood access hatches in the plastic at key points in the plumbing and electrical. The walls are 2X6 and rockwool insulated and the ceiling has a ton of insulation.

When they were permitting the house the county gave them a list of requirements in foundation vents and Yes Plastic on the ground. No bare ground to be showing all must be covered. The foundation vents were to be a certain size based on the square footage of the house and must be open year round.

Now as long as I have lived in this house I have been comfortable. My feet don't get cold and the floors are warm. When you go down to the crawlspace it is dry as can be. That is not an easy feat in itself here in Worshington!

I would say lay the plastic and leave the vents open year round. No excess moisture here at all!

Hey now, what's with the "Mr" stuff?

Thank you for posting your experience with this. It sounds like our houses are very similar. Mine is built with 2x6 walls and lots of insulation in the overhead, too. Laying plastic on the ground is in the works. I'll have to do a little moving of dirt first as the guys who set the place up did not back-fill the foundation piers. They spread it out for the most part, but did not finish it off. It's not bad, but it needs to be done before I lay the plastic.



Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24195 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 60
Posts: 16,155
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,291
Thanked 6,799 Times in 4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I wonder if the shrinkage will be an issue for you. It will not be possible to planish it with a dolly behind it. If it does shrink much, you are going to end up high instead of low at the seams.

What would you think about slightly pre-stretching the edges and allowing it to shrink into shape?

LOL,....Just the ramblings of a man who is awake at 4:30 am!

John
I think I am just going to slow weld it. I will weld something like this spreading tacks around (spreading heat) making fast-hot welds leaving each one to cool a long time and end up with little heat distortion. I am talking taking a LONG time, days to weld it all together. That is all I will need to do. Making each of these parts fit individually, keeping the parts as large as I possibily can (been doing that) and then tack it all in place. The upper piece can be welded together out of the cab and that one can be all the way across and that will work fine. But I will take a look at what you are saying, that does make sense.

There will be some serious bondo work in there, at least at my skill level. I am more concerned about being sure I get the outside really nice before I weld this stuff in, once I do that, it's over with on the outside and bondo time.

What you are saying is to planish at the end of the part a little thinning the metal so that when it's welded it shrinks back to where it was right?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


« Come On Man! | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (1 members and 5 guests)
FASTFORD
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 16 11-07-2015 04:26 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.