The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1619 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
By the way, here is that overdrive unit my brother put in the 39.

Brian
Wow, that is really different. I didn't know there was an overdrive that went on the differential, but then I'm not into Fords either, so maybe they have been around for a long time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
John, that looks smooooooth. Pugsy thats rodding minus the hot. Mitch I remember getting chewed over Eastwood here but that sure is a nice old door to only need your neat little corner fix. My fix like that on the '60 ended up a little long, be sure to recheck fit. Mighty glad you got a rainy day.

I was busy making patches for 3 corners of the right trunk pan. One left is a raised area by the wheelwell. I did two flat ones on the back corners, one where I cut too much and one where the manufacturer did. Close-up is the one where pan meets floor frame kick up. I am a couple rows of weld holes and a step along the front edge away from installation. Might make the raised corner later and plug it on. Four tires are on the way from Cali, more tubing is on order, plenty of 18 ga on hand for tubs and body mount hardware is on the boss list along with posterboard. And I asked about one piece wheel lip patches as seen on trivia thread. And I have a new rocker standing in the corner. Probably been there half a year.

Meanwhile, dang if ol Footloose didn't put a Camaro decklid on a BMW roof.

IDJ,i found you something ,,it also has had a little work,,lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34048609_10160369943835557_6473972589453639680_n    ---1977 GP Conv. 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	428577   Click image for larger version

Name:	A rare car that needs some lovin! CONVERTIBLE 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	428585  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-31-2018), boothboy (05-31-2018), idrivejunk (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
That's cool...

I tried really hard to buy one of these new, but I had recently bought a house and already taken a second mortgage to build a garage, so the bank turned me down...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-31-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (05-31-2018), adantessr (06-07-2018), idrivejunk (05-31-2018)

Old 05-31-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Mitch I remember getting chewed over Eastwood here but that sure is a nice old door to only need your neat little corner fix.
I don't think it's the best rust preventative on the market either, but since the rest of that door seam doesn't have any protection, I figured it was better than folding it all together bare steel again...

I still need to weld the hole in the patch closed. I didn't want to do that before install and have it warp on me and then not fit right.
Then the skin will need a small section cut out and new metal welded in. There are a few more deep pits next to the pinhole that should be removed too. Again, not something I wanted to attempt with the skin unsupported in that corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
John, that looks smooooooth. Pugsy thats rodding minus the hot. Mitch I remember getting chewed over Eastwood here but that sure is a nice old door to only need your neat little corner fix. My fix like that on the '60 ended up a little long, be sure to recheck fit. Mighty glad you got a rainy day.

I was busy making patches for 3 corners of the right trunk pan. One left is a raised area by the wheelwell. I did two flat ones on the back corners, one where I cut too much and one where the manufacturer did. Close-up is the one where pan meets floor frame kick up. I am a couple rows of weld holes and a step along the front edge away from installation. Might make the raised corner later and plug it on. Four tires are on the way from Cali, more tubing is on order, plenty of 18 ga on hand for tubs and body mount hardware is on the boss list along with posterboard. And I asked about one piece wheel lip patches as seen on trivia thread. And I have a new rocker standing in the corner. Probably been there half a year.

Meanwhile, dang if ol Footloose didn't put a Camaro decklid on a BMW roof.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That's cool...

I tried really hard to buy one of these new, but I had recently bought a house and already taken a second mortgage to build a garage, so the bank turned me down...

I bought a Can Am in the middle 80s,he had installed a crate 454,which took away true value,,and he could not bet it running,so i bought it and found dist,1/2 round out so i fixed it and sold it,,made a couple bucks

also had a lt green with white interior Grand Am looked similar without stries and spoilers

Mine Can Am was Silver with the same stripes..repaint

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-31-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,223 Times in 3,599 Posts
Quote:
Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle! I had not seen one convert-ed and while that year isnt my cup o tea... that looks great whacked. I'll be danged. If the top goes up I bet it still looks alright. Wild, man.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
That's cool...

Not a GP!

In college, my friend wanted me to help find a car. Found him a 75 Malibu Classic coupe with swivel buckets, console, tilt, 350 4 bbl, light and dark blue, under 100K miles for $1,500 and I think the air even worked. That would be the rough eqivalent in Chevy would it not? Guy was a bum, sold it and got a Civic. My smog GP was a '75 J. You wouldn't have liked the Can Am anyway, dual exhaust was a pain to put on 75-7 due to frame change for converter. At least my junk was. The coworkers dragged stories about that car out of me today. I secretly want to somehow get that car's color to end up on the Cat.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I bought a Can Am in the middle 80s,he had installed a crate 454,which took away true value,,and he could not bet it running,so i bought it and found dist,1/2 round out so i fixed it and sold it,,made a couple bucks

also had a lt green with white interior Grand Am looked similar without stries and spoilers

Mine Can Am was Silver with the same stripes..repaint
Some guys I rode around with before I got my license sometimes got their Mom's bicentennial Grand Am. Now wheres a site that shows all the various bicentennial-themed options and dealer conversions? Seems like there was spirit of 76 badges or stickers on some Chevys. The Am was just white with red/blue pinstripe, iirc.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Grand Prix User

Here is a done Chevelle hood, all slicked out by Mr Buffinstuff.

Theres an early Gunsmoke episode called Matt goes to Gouge Eye. Thats what I intend to do with this pic... poke a stick in your eye. Early Bronco, belongs to boss. Never really got a good engine pic of it, but... damn, thats good looking. For not being a Pontiac and all, y'know.

Dadgum, ain't that a swell engine bay? He was filling with oil so the cap is off. Taking it to a Hot Wheels show locally, where as I hear... they select one car each from a handful of these shows around the nation... to go to SEMA with Hot Wheels where one winner is selected to have their ride done as a toy. The Bronco would make a great one, it is cartoonish. OK enough eye pokes with the pointy Ford stick.

The lights win, in the Pontiac trunk. Today they did, anyway. Moved back to the flat stall so the 53 cab could be on the lift for a bit. Can barely see whats in this trunk pic but its proof that I got the right side trunk pan welded into the '59 job. Square holes are at body mounts. All I did was buzz a scuff pad over this after welding. Its not totally flat but should do.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I don't think it's the best rust preventative on the market either, but since the rest of that door seam doesn't have any protection, I figured it was better than folding it all together bare steel again...

I still need to weld the hole in the patch closed. I didn't want to do that before install and have it warp on me and then not fit right.
Then the skin will need a small section cut out and new metal welded in. There are a few more deep pits next to the pinhole that should be removed too. Again, not something I wanted to attempt with the skin unsupported in that corner.
I agree on that protection in the seam. I have used a good bit of that stuff and if left on here and there I have followed with their encapsulator. Short of un welding a whole body to blast inside seams, that wire brush and E stuff works well enough that I haven't seen any of the work I did with it again, yet.

The patchwork theory on your door sounds valid to me. Boldly go.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Seeing that sun roof welded up brought back some horrid memories. LOL Man were there a lot of cars ruined by putting sun roofs in them back in the seventies and eighties, yeow.

My God Mothers son (the guy who gave me my first job, in his rod shop when I was 17) had a 39 Chevy that he welded the roof up and warped it all to hell like I did my truck. He was a hell of a welder, pro welder, but not on sheetmetal! OMG I tried to fix it but I knew nothing, it's so sad, he and his family have been so good to me, wish I could have fixed that like I probably could do today. But then I was clueless.

Brian
I know theres been a lot of water under the bridge since but remember the Bronco roof I worked on? Horrid memories indeed! Bryan's deal turned out alright with zero flim flam. None of the support structure was removed on the car though. I know I learned a lot putting the Camaro roof section in the '33 last year. Not an area to be cobbling up but it seems like the add on sunroofs all were installed in an hour.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle! I had not seen one convert-ed and while that year isnt my cup o tea... that looks great whacked. I'll be danged. If the top goes up I bet it still looks alright. Wild, man.
I saw it on face book for sale ,but they didnt have any pictures with top up wish they did,
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,044 Times in 585 Posts
I been working the last two days trying to extract the drivers door from the coupe. This has not been a super productive. First my blood is flowing over old rotten sheet metal. My hands look like I been playing with razor blades.

There are a total of 12 number 10 slotted head screws holding the 3 hinges. Day 1 I was able to remove 6 of the 12 screws. I am averaging about a 4 hour day daily working in the shop.

Day 2 today I was able to remove 5 1/2 screws. The last one is a real pain. As I was drilling to install an easy out the whole top and part of the screw itself just turned to dust. I thought hey this will be easy I will pull the hinge out and job done. Not gonna happen on this one!! Ya see someone put the wrong screw in this hinge and the screw stuck out through the back side.

The problem there is there is NO access to the back side of the hinge as it is all boxed structure.. You can peek in at it but not get any kind of tool to access it. About that time my hanging shop light went out and started smoking. I was startled, and raised my head and smacked the body upper brace with my rather hairless head. More blood... about that time I said the heck with the whole day! This is fun????

Yup it is fun and I would not trade it for nuttin...
Old 05-31-2018, 10:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
I hope you did what I have in this "Tip of the day." Finding out now this trick would suck.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/remo...ay-389425.html

And here is another for caged nuts.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...al-187449.html

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (06-01-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »