The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1625 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,566 Times in 4,294 Posts
It may be fine Pugs. I left my Silverado running at the drug store with the air on and Barb in it while I went in to pick up a perscription. When I came out and got back in it the fan made a terrible wind noise. I realized that I had never heard the fan with the clutch fully ingaged before.

When you get the motor good and hot on a hot afternoon, see if it doesn't tighten up. If not, it is probably defective.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It may be fine Pugs. I left my Silverado running at the drug store with the air on and Barb in it while I went in to pick up a perscription. When I came out and got back in it the fan made a terrible wind noise. I realized that I had never heard the fan with the clutch fully ingaged before.

When you get the motor good and hot on a hot afternoon, see if it doesn't tighten up. If not, it is probably defective.

John
Yep, probably not hot enough to lock up yet. Those viscous clutches are strange animals... The clutch on my 2000 Silverado would roar from cold start up and then stop once the temp hit 100 or so, then kick back in when the temp hit 215. I like my 2011, never hear the electric fan until it gets hot.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,566 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Yep, probably not hot enough to lock up yet. Those viscous clutches are strange animals... The clutch on my 2000 Silverado would roar from cold start up and then stop once the temp hit 100 or so, then kick back in when the temp hit 215. I like my 2011, never hear the electric fan until it gets hot.
I hear that. I am concerned about the fan David gave me for Precious. It is a pretty massive 18" with no room for a clutch. It may roar like jet engine. That will just have be one of the wrinkles to iron out when the time comes. I would much rather start out with too much fan than to small of one.

John

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-07-2018), MARTINSR (06-06-2018), whinny (06-07-2018)

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,267 Times in 3,624 Posts
Pugsy the spinning after shutdown is normal by me. Road test.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:52 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,697 Posts
If is is a cenrifucal clutch it is Normal to be able to spin it by hand,,if it is a thermal clutch with spring on front it should show some restiance should not spin over a 1/4 turn after you remove your hand.

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 06-06-2018 at 09:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-07-2018), John long (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Grand Prix User

'Bout forgot to post the day. Conversation amount was less, still all pointless inquiries.

Tire thing was like 15 minutes out of the day just stuffing a rear one to eyeball interference. Chassis man placed the tire a half inch further back and plans to extend the control arms by 3/4" which should allow the correct fore / aft "at rest" tire position with the well still there. Its a starting point and I've made the tubs a half dozen times in my head. Not looking forward to extracting the old. Anyway here are appropriate visuals to go with that description. The new wheel joke is how much invisible ones cost.

Aside from all that, I cleaned up and coated the areas insde the quarter patch, then took the bumper off and finished up behind it-

Then went on to adding corners and weld prep on the left pan. Got my pilot holes done and screwed to recheck-

In the center, the plan is to box the area under the trunk latch support and just leave a flange there. The tank will need a sump hump up front and a fill hump out back so thats the plan, to leave it open for now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-07-2018), John long (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,103 Times in 4,480 Posts
At half time in the NBA Finals game 3 I got out to the garage! I got these nuts made and welded in to the back side of the hinge mounts. I did this to use that back bolt for fine tuning of the door fit. They used that bolt on the later trucks and cars, Don't know why they didn't on these.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9133.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	429745  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-07-2018), John long (06-07-2018), Rip VW (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,372 Times in 2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
If is is a cenrifucal clutch it is Normal to be able to spin it by hand,,if it is a thermal clutch with spring on front it should show some restiance should not spin over a 1/4 turn after you remove your hand.

Yes, thermal clutch with spring.
The engine is overheating in park/idle.
I've never owned a car that I could not leave running indefinitely and not need to worry about it. This is the second clutch from Rock Auto.

The engine was running really hot and by the time I turned it off, I figured it should be tight and giving a huge flow of hot air.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:13 AM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Pugsy the spinning after shutdown is normal by me. Road test.

Thanks Matt.

No disrespect, but this car keeps running hot at idle. Sure, driving will cool it off, but what happens when I pull up to a light or two with the AC on? The AC was off during the test in the video. The testing will remain in the driveway/garage until the fan can pull the hot air thru the rad.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thanks Matt.

No disrespect, but this car keeps running hot at idle. Sure, driving will cool it off, but what happens when I pull up to a light or two with the AC on? The AC was off during the test in the video. The testing will remain in the driveway/garage until the fan can pull the hot air thru the rad.
Likewise, Pugs. Only a few things come to mind. Try as I might, I've not been any help to you so I've hushed. Respond or ignore, your pick but I'm trying best I know how. Don't bother re-hashing whats been done to this point on my account.

Are you still sans thermostat? I have never understood how that can work. With cool engine and cap off, can you see coolant flow through core?

How long does the system hold how much pressure? Cap also?

Can / have you verified accuracy of gauge reading?

Verified timing mark position in reference to TDC?

Verified no combustion pressure leaking into system?

Contacted clutch manufacturer yet, to ask what they would have you do?

Looked for machine shop over-bore marking on block? Peek at pistons with scope yet? Is it same on half race gas?

What fan blade are you using? Is it mounted proper side out? Some ain't marked.

I sympathize completely because I know the feeling of spending the money and taking multiple approaches and having no effect. As told, I added an electric. Skip/ignore as many of my questions as you like, they are merely thought generators not seasoned mechanic advise.

But check that last Q. I have put a fan on backwards before. Maybe its like a Pontiac and wants specifically .060 between water pump impeller and plate. Damifino.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Likewise, Pugs. Only a few things come to mind. Try as I might, I've not been any help to you so I've hushed. Respond or ignore, your pick but I'm trying best I know how. Don't bother re-hashing whats been done to this point on my account.

Are you still sans thermostat? I have never understood how that can work. With cool engine and cap off, can you see coolant flow through core?

How long does the system hold how much pressure? Cap also?

Can / have you verified accuracy of gauge reading?

Verified no combustion pressure leaking into system?

Looked for machine shop over-bore marking on block? Peek at pistons with scope yet? Is it same on half race gas?

What fan blade are you using? Is it mounted proper side out? Some ain't marked.

I sympathize completely because I know the feeling of spending the money and taking multiple approaches and having no effect. As told, I added an electric. Skip/ignore as many of my questions as you like, they are merely thought generators not seasoned mechanic advise.

But check that last Q. I have put a fan on backwards before. Maybe its like a Pontiac and wants specifically .060 between water pump impeller and plate. Damifino.

Thanks...all the small points are always good to keep the brain's gears turning, unlike the fan blade...

Timing has been on my mind as it's important to in the overheating situation.

I was actually thinking of calling the manufacturer. Probably will tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Purists Hate Me

Fan shroud can definitely be improved. I have the shroud which I believe was used on later Chevelles. It's missing the bottom left corner for some reason and the temp difference in that corner is quite substantial holding my hand there.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Fan shroud can definitely be improved. I have the shroud which I believe was used on later Chevelles. It's missing the bottom left corner for some reason and the temp difference in that corner is quite substantial holding my hand there.
If you're still running without a thermostat, I wouldn't rule that out either. Everything I've read indicates it can allow the coolant to pass thru the rad too quickly to cool. Even the race guys use a restrictor washer to slow it down some.

If the corner of the shroud is missing, the fan may be pulling air from there, rather than thru the core too. So many ways for an engine to run hot, it gets confusing.
I was going to suggest just getting a pair of electric fans and shroud but HOLY CAT, that crap has gotten expensive...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
If you're still running without a thermostat, I wouldn't rule that out either. Everything I've read indicates it can allow the coolant to pass thru the rad too quickly to cool. Even the race guys use a restrictor washer to slow it down some.

If the corner of the shroud is missing, the fan may be pulling air from there, rather than thru the core too. So many ways for an engine to run hot, it gets confusing.
I was going to suggest just getting a pair of electric fans and shroud but HOLY CAT, that crap has gotten expensive...

Thanks.

Yes, everything comes into play. But one thing at a time. The fan needs to spin or it won't cool for sure. I'm thinking of getting one like David mentioned. One for a pickup truck, severe duty.

FOUR SEASONS 36704

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1030442&jsn=23

BTW, I rolled the coil spring back 180 and it doesn't freewheel when turning off the key.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Grand Prix User

Might be a steering box clearance notch if its the wrong shroud.

I got the left trunk pan welded in and bolted the '59 body down for the first time.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in