The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1628 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,106 Times in 2,333 Posts
Try that video again. It somehow got loaded Private.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 AM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil change day for the Impala. yay. Hopefully I can spend a few minutes on the Chevelle. Oh yeah... I get to replace the battery in the Civic today, too. It has been slightly slow cranking the past few days, and it actually left me stranded at my buddy's shop yesterday. Used his "jump battery" to get me rolling home. Sticker shock on the price of batteries now, sheesh! I'd almost rather have a pull-cord recoil start on that little thing. I guess I can't complain but so much, it's a 2012, so 5 1/2 years out of the OEM battery. I'll have it tested before replacement, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Well got out to the shop for the first time in a while and sand blasted the 37 Chevy door hinges and replaced the bushings and pins door fits a lot nicer than before.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grizzdog 55 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-09-2018), John long (06-09-2018), MARTINSR (06-09-2018)

Old 06-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,933 Times in 3,442 Posts
I am happy right now because I finally got the neighbor lady to understand that she hurts my car when she mows and did it without being rude.

Been considering assembling a condensed version of a build thread for that red Biscayne and possibly others but even just that is a gigantic task, especially without a PC. Just don't think it would have much value without detail. Y'know, just showing what was done but without the how. I'd like to try some other colors on the Catalina too. Having no shade tree this year is affecting my cars negatively, I end up just staying indoors doing things that are free such as naps and photo edits. Had the big Pontiac out last night at dusk though. Wished it could last forever, and wish there was a good place to work on my ET or at least stomp it good.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Oil change day for the Impala. yay. Hopefully I can spend a few minutes on the Chevelle. Oh yeah... I get to replace the battery in the Civic today, too. It has been slightly slow cranking the past few days, and it actually left me stranded at my buddy's shop yesterday. Used his "jump battery" to get me rolling home. Sticker shock on the price of batteries now, sheesh! I'd almost rather have a pull-cord recoil start on that little thing. I guess I can't complain but so much, it's a 2012, so 5 1/2 years out of the OEM battery. I'll have it tested before replacement, of course.
Battery in the civic was not good. I had it on a maintainer charger overnight, so it was showing fully charged this morning. I don't have a load tester, so I just watched a voltmeter while DD#2 cranked it up. Dropped down to 10 volts, and then up to 14+ running. Their load tester confirmed that it was bad. Replacement went easy-peasy. Picked up a set of wiper blades for the wife's van while there, so she's happy. Had DD#2 out helping me with the Impala oil change since it's her car. Quizzed her on a couple of things under the car and had her check and top off the air pressure in the tires. All in all a good morning/early afternoon. Out to dinner now for her HS graduation. Only bad discovery was that her wiper blades are absolutely falling apart... time for a new set there too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Grand Prix User

Only thing more shocking than battery prices (pun) is wiper blade prices. All WAY too high. When it rains, it pours. Didn't realize you sort of play with Hondas so I'll ease off the rice comments. Wish I had a penny for every grain that I crash fixed.

I had mentioned threads and staying close to the mailbox earlier and as it turns out that was not a bad idea for today because there was new threads in there. Spankin new GTO shirt from TMP. I can wear that and nobody will recognize me because it isn't black. Thanks, Mitch
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (06-09-2018), Rip VW (06-09-2018), Too Many Projects (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:24 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
The threads were 7/16-20 fine thread, non tapered, and no flare inside. Wide open until it hit the cooling tube. I put an O ring on the fitting and Permatex 2 on the threads, love that stuff, never had a leak with it before.

Edit: forgot already, jeez....or was that 1/2"-20?
Edit 2: Yes, 1/2"-20 TPI, duh.....
Weird that it came with those threads. I always use #2 Permatex on the threads of headbolts when building an engine. Never have had a problem with coolant getting in the engine oil.

Threads in the good ole USA used to be UNC for coarse and SAE for fine. Not sure what designation is used today. TPI is a new one for me.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Only thing more shocking than battery prices (pun) is wiper blade prices. All WAY too high. When it rains, it pours. Didn't realize you sort of play with Hondas so I'll ease off the rice comments. Wish I had a penny for every grain that I crash fixed.

I had mentioned threads and staying close to the mailbox earlier and as it turns out that was not a bad idea for today because there was new threads in there. Spankin new GTO shirt from TMP. I can wear that and nobody will recognize me because it isn't black. Thanks, Mitch
No sweat on the Hon-duh comments. It's a commuter car essentially. I may drive a bit of rice, but am not a ricer by any stretch of the imagination.

The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
Weird that it came with those threads. I always use #2 Permatex on the threads of headbolts when building an engine. Never have had a problem with coolant getting in the engine oil.

Threads in the good ole USA used to be UNC for coarse and SAE for fine. Not sure what designation is used today. TPI is a new one for me.
Threads per inch, perhaps?

Quote:
No sweat on the Hon-duh comments. It's a commuter car essentially. I may drive a bit of rice, but am not a ricer by any stretch of the imagination.

Same with the GTP, stock and punished daily but I'm not all into drag racing it and stuff. V8s are for that. Five or six years is what I have been getting out of parts store batteries. Some newer things are more gooder.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Battery in the civic was not good. I had it on a maintainer charger overnight, so it was showing fully charged this morning. I don't have a load tester, so I just watched a voltmeter while DD#2 cranked it up. Dropped down to 10 volts, and then up to 14+ running. Their load tester confirmed that it was bad. Replacement went easy-peasy. Picked up a set of wiper blades for the wife's van while there, so she's happy. Had DD#2 out helping me with the Impala oil change since it's her car. Quizzed her on a couple of things under the car and had her check and top off the air pressure in the tires. All in all a good morning/early afternoon. Out to dinner now for her HS graduation. Only bad discovery was that her wiper blades are absolutely falling apart... time for a new set there too.

Batteries are all about me as well ATM. Wife's car didn't start about 2 weeks ago, I jump started her and went to local parts store, result..... New battery, $200. Then daughter comes around yesterday, dad can you have a look at my battery. Went through problems she had. She has a limited budget so I put her onto a guy I know who parts cars out. She went there on her way home ( sat arvo) and he replaced it with a year old battery. Her car is a small 4 cyl Mazda. $40. She was happy as larry. She's getting her next tyres there now. I keep my man card after all that.lol.

Later gator
Russ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whinny For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-09-2018), adantessr (06-10-2018), Rip VW (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Spent the day getting parts around to fix a brass fitting I broke off. Playing around between rain storms. That turned into a day of getting parts. Well it is fixed and I am happy. 48 cold 32 hot in gear and not a drop of oil on the ground.

The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I'll ease off the rice comments. Wish I had a penny for every grain that I crash fixed.
Boyoboy math ain't my strong suit, is it? If I did, it wouldn't buy much supper. Plus there were many pennies in repairing each Japanese vehicle. Open mouth, insert foot, do not pass go, etc... I'm in the middle of a good Midway documentary.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,106 Times in 2,333 Posts
Quote:
Threads per inch, perhaps?

Yes, threads per inch. 1/2"-20 or 1/2" UNF. (F for fine threads.)
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
adantessr (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,033 Times in 4,452 Posts
I haven't gotten out to the garage yet today, went to a day long birthday party at a friends house. In his back yard I had to laugh seeing this little compressor. I bought my first house using a compressor just like it (actually smaller, this is a 3hp) in my shop. Back before HVLP and lacquer, I literally saved $35k in less than a year using a little compressor just like this!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0609181526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	429841  
Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,033 Times in 4,452 Posts
Sorry, no photos. Just got out there and put in my "five minutes" grinding some welds smooth and removing what was left of the windlace channels, getting it a step closer to getting some primer on it.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-10-2018)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in