The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1629 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,933 Times in 3,442 Posts
Made a chow run this AM and found a super-messy new SUV-vs new SUV wreck and cops blocking the five lane highway just ahead of my turn. One was splattered out over an area of several yards of highway, the other had gone towards a restaurant and stopped on their sign pole. Front ends wiped off both, ankle deep broken plastic blanketing the scene and two cop SUVs parked in the highway, nobody around though.

Gals at the drive thru window where I headed asked if I saw it, I said drove around it. They said they watched both parties take off on foot. One immediately, one after reality sunk in. Beer cans everywhere. Don't see that every day! Drivers around here want blood.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,033 Times in 4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Made a chow run this AM and found a super-messy new SUV-vs new SUV wreck and cops blocking the five lane highway just ahead of my turn. One was splattered out over an area of several yards of highway, the other had gone towards a restaurant and stopped on their sign pole. Front ends wiped off both, ankle deep broken plastic blanketing the scene and two cop SUVs parked in the highway, nobody around though.

Gals at the drive thru window where I headed asked if I saw it, I said drove around it. They said they watched both parties take off on foot. One immediately, one after reality sunk in. Beer cans everywhere. Don't see that every day! Drivers around here want blood.

YEOW! When I wasn't working on my truck yesterday, I was hanging out with Elvis.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me and Elvis.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	429857  
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
YEOW! When I wasn't working on my truck yesterday, I was hanging out with Elvis.

Brian
Were them peanut butter and banana sandwiches any good?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Were them peanut butter and banana sandwiches any good?
They are actually!

Brian
Old 06-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Grand Prix User

I don't doubt that. Were they deep fried?

All I did today was pick up trash in the garage, vacuum the GTP a little and just hosed the bird S off the 69 so its off for a dry(ing) run while shadows are long and where mosquitoes are thick. Parking lights on, all glass down, arm on top of door, cow pastures both sides, cooled down to mid 80s, sunset, ah. Blip it under the bridge. I hope traffic is dead.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 PM

I got out there and worked my ever loving butt off sand blasting, welding up more crap found, grinding, plannishing, and came in giving up.

I then went back out there tonight after falling asleep on the couch and did a bunch more. Made all the patches and welded up my floor pan. I am sorry, if you think John is "frugal" I make him look like Imelda Marcos. I gave up thinking about it and just patched up the floor, done deal and will move onto the next thing.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9157.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	429953  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:17 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,352 Times in 4,226 Posts
Quote:
I got out there and worked my ever loving butt off sand blasting, welding up more crap found, grinding, plannishing, and came in giving up.

I then went back out there tonight after falling asleep on the couch and did a bunch more. Made all the patches and welded up my floor pan. I am sorry, if you think John is "frugal" I make him look like Imelda Marcos. I gave up thinking about it and just patched up the floor, done deal and will move onto the next thing.

Brian
There is nothing I hate to do more than sand blasting. It is slow, nasty, dirty, thankless work.I am really excited to see you making so much progress though. It won't be long until you have it in epoxy.

How are the front fenders and splash apron?

Imelda
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,678 Posts
I have a friend in Rome that does "dustless blasting,,that seems to be the way to go,,if you have one in your area ,,they come to you,no mess to clean up.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,205 Times in 2,864 Posts
I try not to do much on cars on the weekends. That is time with my wife and for yard work. This weekend was very low-key, in that the weather wasn't very suitable for yard work Saturday either. We relaxed and she worked on her quilting. Sunday, we weeded a flower bed in the front yard and went to dinner.
The wheel bearing that has been making noise on the HHR has been slowly getting louder and yesterday, it seemed to make a major increase to the point that she said it sounds like it's coming from my feet, which are very close to the bearing location. So, today, I'll pull the wheel and rotate the hub, hoping to make a definitive diagnosis and replace tha danged thang. I've had a new one on the bench for a couple months now, but couldn't find any play or roughness in either side.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I have a friend in Rome that does "dustless blasting,,that seems to be the way to go,,if you have one in your area ,,they come to you,no mess to clean up.
We had a couple dustless blasted, and it was a fairly gigantic mess. It took me 3 full days to clean up a 69 Chevelle body shell enough for epoxy, after dustless. Blaster guy took days also and it cost him a lot to do the job. Maybe we are calling different methods by the same name? This was baking soda glass and water in our case. Huge mess on ground afterward.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I try not to do much on cars on the weekends. That is time with my wife and for yard work. This weekend was very low-key, in that the weather wasn't very suitable for yard work Saturday either. We relaxed and she worked on her quilting. Sunday, we weeded a flower bed in the front yard and went to dinner.
The wheel bearing that has been making noise on the HHR has been slowly getting louder and yesterday, it seemed to make a major increase to the point that she said it sounds like it's coming from my feet, which are very close to the bearing location. So, today, I'll pull the wheel and rotate the hub, hoping to make a definitive diagnosis and replace tha danged thang. I've had a new one on the bench for a couple months now, but couldn't find any play or roughness in either side.
I don't comment here often, but if the hub has sealed bearings I'd change it as soon as possible.
In Feb of 2015 I was heading to Ohio for my Step Father's funeral in my 04 Dodge Dakota. The left side had been screaming off and on for awhile but I was sure I could make it to Dayton. Seven miles into Ohio on I-70 it the hub seized and the whole wheel assembly broke away. I had been running about 70 mph in the left lane and when the steering wheel twitched I let off the gas but I was running 55 or 60 when it broke. Fortunately there was no traffic around me and I was able to get the truck over to the right shoulder and stopped without any further damage. So if those are sealed hubs, for your wife's sake, I'd change them out.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
There is nothing I hate to do more than sand blasting. It is slow, nasty, dirty, thankless work.I am really excited to see you making so much progress though. It won't be long until you have it in epoxy.

How are the front fenders and splash apron?

Imelda
Let me put it this way John, the CAB is the work, the rest is all super nice. I am sure I will have to blast here and there or I am over praising them but the fenders and all were DAMN nice the last time I looked them over. We are still talking stripping and skim coat of filler and all that. But they are super nice, as is the bed. We will see though, this cab surprised me too. I didn't think I had so much to do.

When I get there it will be all about what mods I want to make, or leave them as they are and get her done much faster. That will be the BIG question. I have mods in my head that I planned on doing, will I do them now after taking so long to get the cab in primer, I don't know.

The hood has to be sectioned of course, but the rest, we will see.

Brian
Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 AM

One of my big WTH do I do moments here. I have to figure out what I am going to do with the seat. On the last cab I removed this riser, but I REALLY don't want to. The last cab was chopped 4 inches and I bolted 65 Cutless bucket seats in there. I really don't want to do this, I want the stock seat modified to lower it, looks like that may not be possible.

Anyone have a stock seat frame they can drop off at my house? "D

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9150.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	429985  
Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
One of my big WTH do I do moments here. I have to figure out what I am going to do with the seat. On the last cab I removed this riser, but I REALLY don't want to. The last cab was chopped 4 inches and I bolted 65 Cutless bucket seats in there. I really don't want to do this, I want the stock seat modified to lower it, looks like that may not be possible.

Anyone have a stock seat frame they can drop off at my house? "D

Brian
colon , capital D, colon Like this :
Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
We had a couple dustless blasted, and it was a fairly gigantic mess. It took me 3 full days to clean up a 69 Chevelle body shell enough for epoxy, after dustless. Blaster guy took days also and it cost him a lot to do the job. Maybe we are calling different methods by the same name? This was baking soda glass and water in our case. Huge mess on ground afterward.
I buy a "black beauty" blasting media from a local brick and block store. I don't know what it is made of, but is available in different grits and cuts like crazy out of a pressure blaster. It is so aggressive that it actually showers sparks when blasting steel. I use a 1/8" orfice ceramic nozzle. Gauntlet leather gloves and a leather coat along with a face shield, welding hat, ear muffs, and a dust mask strongly recommended.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in