The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1647 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2018, 06:11 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,968 Posts
Brian, congrats! I do know the feeling. Completing a monumental (part of a) task opens up the new mindset and for me... I walk to the wrong spot for my toolbox a couple days after, by habit. I can also appreciate what it means finishing up the hard stuff inside the body. Thats a bigger deal than when you're twenty.

A couple notes before I go back at it...

Thanks guys for not asking about that nasty air-stopper bulkhead thing in the rocker. Got in a hurry and addressing that slipped my mind. So if I don't put something back, air entering the front of the rocker will blow inside the quarter and we don't want that. So I'll cut the wimpy tacks on my patch and get back in the rocker to do something. Idea right now is to bond a fitted 18 ga piece to the inner walls of the rocker.

Also you may wonder why I didn't cut all the way down to the pinchweld flange at bottom to patch. These cars' inner rockers are a box... two layers. Flat inner then a shallow hat channel, THEN rocker skin. Skin attaches not only to the pinchweld flange but also to the bottom of the channel. So in addition to whats normally seen / expected, theres a tough staggered double row of welds there, facing the ground. Not only do those add complexity to the repair, but the presence of the channel prevents good, thorough corrosion protection due to the void present inside the channel that remains inaccessible. So its either do what I did, or go much larger with the repair. With either approach, theres rust you can't get to.

Theres that. Back to it.

TMP, how was the 50s? Smooth sailing and a good time, I hope. Looked on the web like good weather and possibly the coolest venue of them all.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,794 Times in 4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Brian, congrats! I do know the feeling. Completing a monumental (part of a) task opens up the new mindset and for me... I walk to the wrong spot for my toolbox a couple days after, by habit. I can also appreciate what it means finishing up the hard stuff inside the body. Thats a bigger deal than when you're twenty.

A couple notes before I go back at it...

Thanks guys for not asking about that nasty air-stopper bulkhead thing in the rocker. Got in a hurry and addressing that slipped my mind. So if I don't put something back, air entering the front of the rocker will blow inside the quarter and we don't want that. So I'll cut the wimpy tacks on my patch and get back in the rocker to do something. Idea right now is to bond a fitted 18 ga piece to the inner walls of the rocker.

Also you may wonder why I didn't cut all the way down to the pinchweld flange at bottom to patch. These cars' inner rockers are a box... two layers. Flat inner then a shallow hat channel, THEN rocker skin. Skin attaches not only to the pinchweld flange but also to the bottom of the channel. So in addition to whats normally seen / expected, theres a tough staggered double row of welds there, facing the ground. Not only do those add complexity to the repair, but the presence of the channel prevents good, thorough corrosion protection due to the void present inside the channel that remains inaccessible. So its either do what I did, or go much larger with the repair. With either approach, theres rust you can't get to.

Theres that. Back to it.

TMP, how was the 50s? Smooth sailing and a good time, I hope. Looked on the web like good weather and possibly the coolest venue of them all.
Honestly, we can over think this corrosion stuff. I am not removing every spec of surface rust on my inner structures, first off, there is NO WAY it's going to be exposed like it was. Secondly, it's friggin 70 years old! I will be LONG GONE in that many years so if it can last another thirty or so (God willing I do) that's good enough for me. Besides, I got to thinking, that metal in there wasn't even primed from the factory! If it lasted this long, un primed or painted it WILL last that 70 years easy with what I am doing.

Now, if it was a customers car, that is a whole different story! You do have to think differently. There is NO WAY I would do what I do on MY Truck to a customers car. I just don't think that way, especially doing collision work. OMG on a three year old car like I work on at work, it's a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING! I do repairs on them so even another experienced tech can't see that it's been worked on when it's done. On my cars in my garage with my limited time, sorry, getting it DONE is the focus not perfection.

Brian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-25-2018), idrivejunk (06-25-2018), John long (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Grand Prix User

59 Pontiac job... here are the access flaps I cut in the door sill for cleanout and coating access. The oval one in the center is original.

Here is the wad of scuff pads I used for one more scrub inside the rocker. I stuffed the wad through holes and twisted and stroked best I could then blew it out thoroughly.

Also seen here is the new 16 gauge air blocker that I just installed to replace the thing next to it.

This is not the lunar surface but is the inside floor of the rocker after a single app of rust converter. Red oxide remnants can be seen, and coatings are actually present on much of the inner walls in this boxed area. A wand may have been ued originally to get paint inside the rocker.

And after a coat of encapsulator-

Heres inside the front again

Then the backside of my new bulkhead, surrounded by two part seam sealer

Other side. Now back to that patch.

Hood hinges for the Chevelle job came in, and I found the trunk lid bumpers so was able to final gap that panel. Found a headlight bucket spring on my toolbox that I think I can use, too. A new headliner is hanging from the bows at the moment aa well.

Last but not least, theres activity on the 68 Mustang I shaved firewall on. Lookin sano.

Man thats a hardcore lunch break post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-25-2018), cozwurth (06-25-2018)

Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 PM
Grand Prix User

A more softcore IDJ Evening Post-

Heres the patch now-

Did one more patch, started another and closed some rust holes in the quarter all while allowing the patch area to cool between rounds. My intent is to cut the whole old wheel opening lip off for replacement but this stuff is above that.

Flaps down-

I am going back to Chevelle in the morning. Hood hinges, bumpers, roof rails, etc to finish. Glass will go in soon, car ought to be home at the end of the week. Owner is dying to get at it! I know I would be, too. I enjoy seeing people fired up about their rides.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-25-2018), MARTINSR (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Honestly, we can over think this corrosion stuff. I am not removing every spec of surface rust on my inner structures, first off, there is NO WAY it's going to be exposed like it was. Secondly, it's friggin 70 years old! I will be LONG GONE in that many years so if it can last another thirty or so (God willing I do) that's good enough for me. Besides, I got to thinking, that metal in there wasn't even primed from the factory! If it lasted this long, un primed or painted it WILL last that 70 years easy with what I am doing.

Now, if it was a customers car, that is a whole different story! You do have to think differently. There is NO WAY I would do what I do on MY Truck to a customers car. I just don't think that way, especially doing collision work. OMG on a three year old car like I work on at work, it's a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING! I do repairs on them so even another experienced tech can't see that it's been worked on when it's done. On my cars in my garage with my limited time, sorry, getting it DONE is the focus not perfection.

Brian
I like to say theres times when done trumps perfect. And what I do to my car is also not necessarily what I might suggest for others. Marketability of a bodyman's work depends on his ability to make decisions or offer options to suit the individual situation. If you ask me, anyhow.

If somebody said I have money and want no rust in my seams... hell its just plug welds and measuring. I'd do it, but not for mine because like you said I won't live that long. That attitude is alright regarding rusty old cars.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I like to say theres times when done trumps perfect. And what I do to my car is also not necessarily what I might suggest for others. Marketability of a bodyman's work depends on his ability to make decisions or offer options to suit the individual situation. If you ask me, anyhow.

If somebody said I have money and want no rust in my seams... hell its just plug welds and measuring. I'd do it, but not for mine because like you said I won't live that long. That attitude is alright regarding rusty old cars.
I have done "perfect" too, main arena show cars, with the door jambs cut and buffed to perfection. But that's not what I am doing today, I thought I was going to do that with my truck, but nope, it's going to be a driver. I want to DRIVE IT, I want it DONE. Weld and grind and throw some primer and bondo baby, that is where I am headed. It won't be crap by any means, but it will be done!

Brian
Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 PM

So tonight it was odd, I drove home a Tesla and took my family out so everyone could drive it. I just let them drive as they wanted, omg we drove all over the city, about 25 miles! My wife, omg it was so cute, she is very conservative not a hot rodder. But she nailed it and throughout her whole time driving she kept hitting the throttle. LOL But it was so much fun, we came home, I got out to the garage and did my five minutes. A few welds, a few grinds, did a little test with my wire wheel and grinder on the floor to see if it would get it good enough for primer. HELL YEAH it did, better than I thought it would. I will get the inside all primed this weekend, right on!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:47 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
So tonight it was odd, I drove home a Tesla and took my family out so everyone could drive it. I just let them drive as they wanted, omg we drove all over the city, about 25 miles! My wife, omg it was so cute, she is very conservative not a hot rodder. But she nailed it and throughout her whole time driving she kept hitting the throttle. LOL But it was so much fun, we came home, I got out to the garage and did my five minutes. A few welds, a few grinds, did a little test with my wire wheel and grinder on the floor to see if it would get it good enough for primer. HELL YEAH it did, better than I thought it would. I will get the inside all primed this weekend, right on!

Brian

I'd like to know the secret.

How does one drive home a Tesla these days?
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
John long (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Grand Prix User

https://m.sfgate.com/expensive-san-f...s-13024580.php
Old 06-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:

Crazy...................

I guess it could be about the same up here. Don't know how my kids will afford something. Maybe I gotta divide my house into two separate units before I croak so each can have one....
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'd like to know the secret.

How does one drive home a Tesla these days?
I have a co-worker with one and it's in for service and he let me drive his loaner car.

Brian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-26-2018), idrivejunk (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Guys, it is MIND BLOWING what is happening around here! I live in a friggin MILLION DOLLAR neighborhood as far as house values. It's a 60 year old neighborhood of "houses" just friggin 60 year old houses, no mansions, no farms with built in swimming pools, just friggin old two bedroom one bath houses, it's WILD.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM

I don't know if I have mentioned a neighbor of mine who was pretty odd, an "odd bird" if you get my drift. She got a house for next to nothing about 20 years ago. She got it when the owner who was a friend screwed up and it was in "pre-foreclosure." This woman just did the same! HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT? It was worth about 15 times what she paid for it! Well, she was pressured to sell it being she couldn't catch up with the payments. It was a CRAP HOLE we are talking CRAP HOLE needing a complete rebuild. Whole yard, front and back FULL of three foot high weeds, overgrown HORRIBLE trees to be removed, five sheds full of CRAP, house full of crap, it is only 794 square feet, a tiny 2 bedroom 1 bath with a one car garage FULL of crap......it sold for $774 Three quarters of a million dollars!

Wow, this is crazy!

Brian
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Last but not least, theres activity on the 68 Mustang I shaved firewall on. Lookin sano.

Man thats a hardcore lunch break post!
That's Sharp!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hipster_G For This Useful Post:
boothboy (06-26-2018), idrivejunk (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Grand Prix User

Thanx, G. I was supposed to just trim the flange but got a little too close with the razor and next thing you know its a full Brazilian. I think Mustang guys might stare at it and ponder.

I put roof rails and rubbers in the Chevelle this morning and adjusted one window. Wish my GP glass and seals fit so nice.

The Cali thing... it's wealth is so far removed from the rest of the nation that it could probably secede and everyone would be happier. Maybe they could be a Japanese state. I heard the blue umbrella story the other day and a Guadalcanal documentary last night... probably why I say that.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« How cool is this | - »