The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1909 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,383 Times in 3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Looks like a handy little orbital sander. I found it at HB for under $30 and I have a 20% off coupon...
I'll look into it. I have a 5" palm orbital.
I have mostly just got by with a 6" DA and the one I have now is the first palm style. I have borrowed a 3" before though and it makes some jobs much easier. Not saying you ought to alter your plan but if you are like me you may not have known such critters exist. I didn't know they were so cheap either but now I wonder if they are crap-in-a-box or actual useful tools. I just quit buying stuff once the point in time arrived where the throttles don't work on their air tools. Guys look at me like I'm crazy but I gotta just keep using some tools that are always on once connected to air. Its like quick-connect couplers, I could replace coupler and all nipples and still be the only guy with deafening hiss anytime anything is connected. Done it before. Strange but IDJ true.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
My wife and I were discussing this just this morning. The feds, I think, are trying to mandate a minimum 15% ethanol crap now and how this will affect cars built for injection, but not this much ethanol. I THINK we are OK. Her car is an 07, but a TSX and has variable valve timing, so I believe it has knock sensors that should help the engine run on this increased crap for gas. My HHR is an 08 and 1 year short of flex fuel. I have, actually, run some 15% ethanol thru it lately to see if it is any different and I don't notice anything. Of course, if the hoses/o-rings, and other related soft goods aren't rated for that much ethanol, they may swell and fail, like all the hoses on carburated engines when this crap first appeared.

It's not you on a different planet, Matt. It's the legislators in Washington that are on a planet, other than reality.
Theres people out there who don't see a thing wrong with running the current 85 octane with eth added until it has the knock resistance of 87 so it can now legally be labeled as that... in an engine designed to run on the ragged edge with 93... because it has knock sensors. To them, I say include five gallons of race gas in their next tankful and see if the car knows the difference.

Infrastructure has us by the throat, yep. Even the diesel users. No doubt somebody in Washington gets their jollies off crushing the spirit of performance lovers slowly and chuckles while we pay dearly to cling to our obsolete junkers. Because "they" will win, sooner than we can imagine. Reckon thats when I'll have to fix up my GT. Meanwhile keeping an eye on scrap metal prices. The time to enjoy is now, it won't get better on this planet.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I remembered this nugget from a while back for the wire from the diff.
Made up a flexible wire conduit.

My ore would assay poorly but you are a die-hard prospector. That whole setup sure is slick and I'm also sure that this will extend it's life beyond wrapping or most split conduit. My thought was to use angel hair wire like on an ABS wheel harness... more strands of smaller wire than usual... in the same wire gauge size. Did you use rubber hose or what is that? Hopefully the motion won't slide the wire back and forth over the metal fitting.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,755 Times in 2,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
My ore would assay poorly but you are a die-hard prospector. That whole setup sure is slick and I'm also sure that this will extend it's life beyond wrapping or most split conduit. My thought was to use angel hair wire like on an ABS wheel harness... more strands of smaller wire than usual... in the same wire gauge size. Did you use rubber hose or what is that? Hopefully the motion won't slide the wire back and forth over the metal fitting.

Yep, rubber hose. Thought the same thing about sliding. I tied a knot in the bottom and will tie one at the top also.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Yep, rubber hose. Thought the same thing about sliding. I tied a knot in the bottom and will tie one at the top also.
Cool, there ya go.

Hey guys, I ran across this in my binge-watching adventures and thought amongst myselves... "Now, thats a thinker.". When you have a half hour to blow, scope out Mr. Spock's take on global warming:

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Grand Prix User

First mow went without a hitch. Speaking of climate change, the other day when I tested the GTP's A/C it was good and cold on the driver's side but hotter'n blazes on the right. I was reminded that I removed the passenger blend actuator because the door is stiff and keeps breaking them. Gotta crank that back pretty soon, maybe just halfway until summer hits.

There, I'm done blabbering. How was yours? 70s and cloudy with breeze here, ripe for more loud fun with the "fuel-doomed" 455.

If anybody watched that vid... did I miss something or did we warp to another dimension since the 70s? Err... uh.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,938 Times in 4,408 Posts
Got me some '55 Chevy rims and white walls to make my truck a roller..... now all I need is a frame back from the powdercoaters.

What kills me is I had to drive a half hour from my house to get these and the powdercoater is right near where I was who has my frame!

And then I found on Craigslist a couple of other exact tires for sale cheap right past where I drove coming home across the bay too!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1591.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	442209  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-07-2019), idrivejunk (04-07-2019), Rip VW (04-07-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
First mow went without a hitch. Speaking of climate change, the other day when I tested the GTP's A/C it was good and cold on the driver's side but hotter'n blazes on the right. I was reminded that I removed the passenger blend actuator because the door is stiff and keeps breaking them. Gotta crank that back pretty soon, maybe just halfway until summer hits.

There, I'm done blabbering. How was yours? 70s and cloudy with breeze here, ripe for more loud fun with the "fuel-doomed" 455.

If anybody watched that vid... did I miss something or did we warp to another dimension since the 70s? Err... uh.

I remember hearing the news at the time how Buffalo had another 4' of snow. Quite amazing as we were just an hour and a half away and were fine. Winters have been getting colder the last couple years and summer here has been scorching hot. I'm sure where you are is fine....if the deep freeze does come up here, I hope you can open your doors to a fellow car guy....
Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Got me some '55 Chevy rims and white walls to make my truck a roller..... now all I need is a frame back from the powdercoaters.

What kills me is I had to drive a half hour from my house to get these and the powdercoater is right near where I was who has my frame!

And then I found on Craigslist a couple of other exact tires for sale cheap right past where I drove coming home across the bay too!

Brian
..Easy to spot the 55 & 56 wheels ..only years to have hubcap retainers and 15 in,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55-56 chrvy wheels.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	783.1 KB
ID:	442235  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-07-2019), MARTINSR (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,938 Times in 4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
..Easy to spot the 55 & 56 wheels ..only years to have hubcap retainers and 15 in,
Wow, didn't know that. I just trusted him that they were original. He just removed these off his daily driver 55 Wagon.

Brian
Old 04-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Wow, didn't know that. I just trusted him that they were original. He just removed these off his daily driver 55 Wagon.

Brian
if the wheels dont have these tabs the 55 hubcap will not stay on,,the three tabs were a simple solutiom and 57 went to 14 in wheels.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,002 Times in 2,753 Posts
Fitting the left tulip panel. I used my shrinker jaws to pull the vertical flange out to match the cowl better and that was good.

That change made the poor fit at the bottom even worse. I ended up cutting that flange in 2 places to move it around and I moved it a LOT, to match the car.

I then moved to the face piece, which is wider than original, and complicated the fit at the bottom even more... I used a hammer and dolly to move the outer flange width in enough to match the top, but the bottom is still too wide and the tulip panel is pulled further from the body. It is what it is and I'll be making a filler patch to cover the gap...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-07-2019), Gearhead Poppa (04-07-2019), idrivejunk (04-07-2019), Rip VW (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Purists Hate Me

That Vortec cover got ugly real quick when I screwed the new coil covers in place.

Top cover started.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8275.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	442247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8274.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	442249  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-07-2019), Rip VW (04-07-2019), Too Many Projects (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I remember hearing the news at the time how Buffalo had another 4' of snow. Quite amazing as we were just an hour and a half away and were fine. Winters have been getting colder the last couple years and summer here has been scorching hot. I'm sure where you are is fine....if the deep freeze does come up here, I hope you can open your doors to a fellow car guy....
I remember that year too, believe it or not. Tire chains on a Tempest wasn't enough to get us all the way home from church so we walked in the blizzard from the highway. I wasn't tall enough to deal with drifts that high and was slowing down the rest of the family so Dad carried me.

What caught my attention with the show was the difference between climate perceptions then and now. If we find ourselves in an ice age you would be better off with Mitch, yachting in the Caribbean. I'll be in Cuba fixing BelAirs but will leave the light on for you here.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
I remember that year too, believe it or not. Tire chains on a Tempest wasn't enough to get us all the way home from church so we walked in the blizzard from the highway. I wasn't tall enough to deal with drifts that high and was slowing down the rest of the family so Dad carried me.

What caught my attention with the show was the difference between climate perceptions then and now. If we find ourselves in an ice age you would be better off with Mitch, yachting in the Caribbean. I'll be in Cuba fixing BelAirs but will leave the light on for you here.

Yep. From global cooling to global warming right quick.

I'll stay here and open an ice cube stand....why not...I'm always a day late and a dollar short.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-07-2019)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in