The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1913 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Wiki Edits: 0

I got the "new to us" dishwasher installed this morning. Man, I'll be glad when I can get the new kitchen cabinets built and at the right height. The countertop is about 1/4-3/8" low, which causes an issue getting the dishwasher in. Wiring and the drain were easy. The water supply? Not so much. Existing supply had a 1/2" fitting. Dishwasher has the standard 3/4". House is plumbed with PEX. Think anyone has a 1/2" PEX-3/4" washer fitting? Nope. Three hardware stores worth of NOPE. Ended up with a full install kit with a 60" hose and a sharkbite valve to convert. It works, no leaks. My bride is happy, I'm happy! Spent the rest of the afternoon cutting grass at my parent's house. yay.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-12-2019), Rip VW (04-13-2019), Too Many Projects (04-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,808 Times in 4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
I got the "new to us" dishwasher installed this morning. Man, I'll be glad when I can get the new kitchen cabinets built and at the right height. The countertop is about 1/4-3/8" low, which causes an issue getting the dishwasher in. Wiring and the drain were easy. The water supply? Not so much. Existing supply had a 1/2" fitting. Dishwasher has the standard 3/4". House is plumbed with PEX. Think anyone has a 1/2" PEX-3/4" washer fitting? Nope. Three hardware stores worth of NOPE. Ended up with a full install kit with a 60" hose and a sharkbite valve to convert. It works, no leaks. My bride is happy, I'm happy! Spent the rest of the afternoon cutting grass at my parent's house. yay.
A dish washer, are you kidding me, you sissy! I am the dish washer in my house! I have to tell you, back a number of years ago I decided I would do this thing my wife hated. I NEVER go to sleep with a dirty dish in the sink and in the morning I put them all away and have her cup for coffee sitting there waiting. She deserves it and much more.

I will have a dish washer when I move to my new home in Boise though, WHOOO HOOOO! We will be living the life!

Brian
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-12-2019), cozwurth (04-12-2019), John long (04-12-2019), Rip VW (04-13-2019), Too Many Projects (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
There ARE days when it's hard to remember, we do this for FUN...
Yes indeed!

And I was pretty disappointed with the technical help I got from Holley, since they now own Lakewood! Typical of today's no service techs, the person who answered the phone could only ask me to "send us a picture". When I asked what he wanted a picture of, he couldn't even tell me!
Since my question was, "What if there's more than .042" misalignment?" I'd have expected him to give a straight answer. But instead he wanted a picture. I asked if he wanted a picture of the bellhousing, the center hole, the dowel pins/holes? Or if he wanted a picture of my dial indicator showing the dial?
When he couldn't tell me, he finally gave in and conceded a picture wouldn't help. But it took him a week to get back to me with an answer on how to correct extreme misalignment. His answer? "It can't happen, as we don't ever let a bellhousing leave with more than .005" out of spec."
So they sell .007",.014", and .021" offset dowel pins to correct alignment, and they tell you how to fix misalignment if it's over .005", but they don't make anything outside their parameters? When I asked about why they offered offset dowel pins, he couldn't tell me.
We finally fixed it ourselves, as it was obvious there's nobody answering the phones who can find his rear with both hands.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-12-2019), idrivejunk (04-13-2019), Too Many Projects (04-12-2019)

Old 04-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
A dish washer, are you kidding me, you sissy! I am the dish washer in my house! I have to tell you, back a number of years ago I decided I would do this thing my wife hated. I NEVER go to sleep with a dirty dish in the sink and in the morning I put them all away and have her cup for coffee sitting there waiting. She deserves it and much more.

I will have a dish washer when I move to my new home in Boise though, WHOOO HOOOO! We will be living the life!

Brian
We never had a dishwasher in almost 35 years of marriage, and different homes. Then my wife requested a complete kitchen remodel about 5 years ago, and "could you include a dishwasher?"
So she got her dishwasher, and she uses it often. But I still see her doing them by hand quite often. I think she just wants to remember what it was like before she got one 5 years ago!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-12-2019), Rip VW (04-13-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
We never had a dishwasher in almost 35 years of marriage, and different homes. Then my wife requested a complete kitchen remodel about 5 years ago, and "could you include a dishwasher?"
So she got her dishwasher, and she uses it often. But I still see her doing them by hand quite often. I think she just wants to remember what it was like before she got one 5 years ago!
It's so funny, I have owned a couple of homes with two different wives and the only place I ever had a dish washer was in the apartment I was living in when I met my forever wife.

But I will have one this summer when I move, we will see how that is again to have one.

Brian
Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You guys are probably not interested in my problems getting the A/C to work right on the Jag........ :

John

Oh, do tell. Nice and warm up here today....ha....sorry Mitch....couldn't help myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-13-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Quote:

Brian

OH! Now you've done it. You hurt my feeling by calling me a name. I only had one left, and you hurt it! Pardon me while I find a puppy to pet, and some crayons for my coloring book, lol! Would you believe that the kids still complain about having to do dishes, even with the dishwasher?
Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
I got my temp sender adapter half done. I will go and pick up a 1/2" stainless coupling to weld on in the morning.

I ordered the wrong size on line and said to heck with the searching and trying to figure out which 3/8" sender would work on a 69 El Camino.

Lost it and hit the garage and came up with this made from a 5/8" stainless bolt. I had to remove the threads and make M12 x 1.5 threads on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8314.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	442363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8313.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	442365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8315.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	442367  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (04-13-2019), idrivejunk (04-13-2019), John long (04-12-2019), Rip VW (04-13-2019), Too Many Projects (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,666 Posts
My wife had her quilt group friends over tonight, so I continued to play in the shop. I got the 2 replacement cowl panels and the car prepped before dinner.

I had intended to seam seal this when I did the rest of the firewall, after primer, and then realized it wouldn't be accessible, so I wasted an acid brush on just this little seam, but it's done now.

I fitted the lower, forward panel, welded it on and then cleaned the slag and burned paint and gave it a good shot of galvanized paint.

Then came the big moment, I got the tulip panel mostly welded on, the very bottom doesn't fit worth a darn and I will need to make a patch to join it with the body.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-13-2019), cozwurth (04-13-2019), Gearhead Poppa (04-13-2019), idrivejunk (04-13-2019), John long (04-13-2019), Rip VW (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:58 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,984 Posts
Thats looking good, Mitch. Bondo spreaders or thin cardboard can work good for seam sealer too. Those icicles you showed were a trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Last night I got the other hub done with new studs and sand blasted, got all the steering stuff ready for primer and I am priming it at this moment before I run off to work.

Check out my heated spray booth! The burnt hose, ohhhhh that is what happens when you leave the hose laying on the ground in front of the heater..SHHHHHHHHHHHHHh yeah great, good thing I have extra hoses to get this done on the fly.

Brian
We've known you have a pyro fetish since the home appliance conversation.

Now go wash coffee cups at the sissy bar.

Seriously... I am kinda stoked on your behalf, what with powder coat done and roller stock in the house. You robbed that powder coat guy, or he hasn't priced many big jobs, wow. Cost my bud $1,200 for the same thing on a 64 Imp a decade ago and I don't recall the parts even being wrapped. In any case... Nice going. Now get crackin'.

Your Falcon story reminded me of a Dad's Red Rod story where they moved from one end of Kansas to the other and he drove the A. And when my folks moved here from LA and I transported the ''68 Mustang. Good adventures, all. Prep well, it will go slick.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I got my temp sender adapter half done. I will go and pick up a 1/2" stainless coupling to weld on in the morning.

I ordered the wrong size on line and said to heck with the searching and trying to figure out which 3/8" sender would work on a 69 El Camino.

Lost it and hit the garage and came up with this made from a 5/8" stainless bolt. I had to remove the threads and make M12 x 1.5 threads on it.

Seems like every huge job has that one tiny thing that tosses a wrench into the works. Nothing that time, wherewithall, and motivation won't fix though... for a Pugsy.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Thats looking good, Mitch. Bondo spreaders or thin cardboard can work good for seam sealer too. Those icicles you showed were a trip.
Hmm....didn't think of bondo spreaders. I have a couple old ones I could cut up smaller. The sealer is in a can and thick, so the cardboard won't work, but the spreader idea has me thinking...thanks..
Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Hmm....didn't think of bondo spreaders. I have a couple old ones I could cut up smaller. The sealer is in a can and thick, so the cardboard won't work, but the spreader idea has me thinking...thanks..

Thats what old spreaders were invented for!

You'll like how it looks, and you can put a few brush strokes in after spreading if desired. Careful cutting plastic spreaders since they are tapered. I like to use scissors if they work. You can also cut shapes in the spreader for stuff like outside corners or unstepped overlaps.

Small putty knife might be good for dipping it outta the can.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
OH! Now you've done it. You hurt my feeling by calling me a name. I only had one left, and you hurt it! Pardon me while I find a puppy to pet, and some crayons for my coloring book, lol! Would you believe that the kids still complain about having to do dishes, even with the dishwasher?
Dave
OMG when I am over someone's house with a dish washer and they refer to putting the dishes in the dish washer as "washing the dishes" I have to laugh.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in