The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 1979 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #29671 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 1,928
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2,886
Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
You did a hellofalot better than I would've...

Assembling the front end of the Camaro this morning. Just got done with my 2 hours of mowing and now going out to trim down a bunch of young Buckthorn trees. I'll cut them down to about 18" and then spray the leaves with "fertilizer" in a couple days. Gotta love my Stihl brush cutter for work like this. That sucker will cut a 2" trunk off in a couple seconds... Goes thru these saplings about as fast as I can swing it side to side.
Gotta make an editorial edit here. My brush cutter is a Husqvarna, not a Stihl.

And THAT was fun, hauling that around in the woods in this humidity...jeez, why do I get a hair brain idea to do this today ? Because it either snowed or rained all of April and May, when I WOULD have been fertilizing the brush and it got too tall to spray effectively. Now to hook up the yard cart to the lawn tractor and go "harvest" the crap I cut off...

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (07-06-2019), Rip VW (07-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #29672 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 04:18 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 4,456
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,136
Thanked 6,222 Times in 3,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
You did a hellofalot better than I would've...

Assembling the front end of the Camaro this morning. Just got done with my 2 hours of mowing and now going out to trim down a bunch of young Buckthorn trees. I'll cut them down to about 18" and then spray the leaves with "fertilizer" in a couple days. Gotta love my Stihl brush cutter for work like this. That sucker will cut a 2" trunk off in a couple seconds... Goes thru these saplings about as fast as I can swing it side to side.
Me three, on that weld job. I was rooting for the pieces being fiberglass molds until it was welded.

You reminded me... some neighbor's tree limbs are touching gound on my side o' the fence. I ought to go lop those off instead of mowing around. Trouble is, I am enjoying being rested, clean, and comfortable so much right now. Its just so rare. Ah. Chores is chores but relaxation has merit.

I feel like a chicken running around with it's head still on today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-06-2019), cozwurth (07-06-2019)
  #29673 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 PM
cozwurth's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 414
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 645
Thanked 814 Times in 436 Posts
I did about 3 hours of running the weed-eater this morning, before it got too hot. 8:30 AM at the ditchbank along the road. From there, all of the power poles along the driveway, the two drainage pipes crossing under the driveway, all around mom & dad's house, and then all around mine. Finished up at about 11:30, showered and took a nap. I was hoping to take dad out in the '57, but looks like dark clouds moving in. I even have the torque wrench in the trunk to tighten those stupid uni-lug wheels on the back after a few miles. Learned my lesson on that one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-06-2019), Too Many Projects (07-06-2019)
 
  #29674 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 1,928
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2,886
Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Me three, on that weld job. I was rooting for the pieces being fiberglass molds until it was welded.

You reminded me... some neighbor's tree limbs are touching gound on my side o' the fence. I ought to go lop those off instead of mowing around. Trouble is, I am enjoying being rested, clean, and comfortable so much right now. Its just so rare. Ah. Chores is chores but relaxation has merit.

I feel like a chicken running around with it's head still on today.
Relax over the week end, you can come home from work crabby and sweaty and lop those limbs off then...

Yup, time for another shower for me. After the brush pick up and dumping, which my wonderful wife helped with, we then put the hood on the Camaro. I can adjust it anytime now, but need help getting it on. Guess I'm getting old.

That reminds me, I think I figured out this "retired" thing. Every day I work on something and get tired. So the next day, I start out fresh but then get re-tired from the days work. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019), idrivejunk (07-06-2019)
  #29675 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix User
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 4,456
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,136
Thanked 6,222 Times in 3,598 Posts
Aw I got off easy... started to rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29676 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 08:03 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,881
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,890
Thanked 8,539 Times in 4,285 Posts
When Barb broke her knee cap a few years ago, I hired a guy to mow the grass and weed eat. I can never remember to tell him to quit. He just keep coming every few days and mows........

It's a real treat for a frugal type of guy.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019), MARTINSR (07-07-2019), Too Many Projects (07-07-2019)
  #29677 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:19 PM
whinny's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: new zealand
Age: 63
Posts: 252
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,515
Thanked 590 Times in 473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
When Barb broke her knee cap a few years ago, I hired a guy to mow the grass and weed eat. I can never remember to tell him to quit. He just keep coming every few days and mows........

It's a real treat for a frugal type of guy.

John
Lols, I bought a flash key start mower ( I'm lazy) about 10 years ago. My son wanted to borrow it just after I got it. I never saw it again, no matter how many times I asked. I pay a guy $25 a fortnite to do my lawns and edges. He takes away as well.

Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whinny For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019), Rip VW (07-06-2019)
  #29678 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
I will endevour to persevere
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Worshington, The State
Age: 65
Posts: 908
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,420
Thanked 1,044 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
When Barb broke her knee cap a few years ago, I hired a guy to mow the grass and weed eat. I can never remember to tell him to quit. He just keep coming every few days and mows........

It's a real treat for a frugal type of guy.

John
As I did not anticipate having a lawn to mow this year I got rid of my Torro Rider and other lawn instruments before I packed up after my house was sold. Buying a ready made place left me mower poor so I hired a guy to come every other week and keep the place in good shape till I figure how I want to do lawn and yard work. I feel so guilty.....NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019), Too Many Projects (07-07-2019)
  #29679 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 61
Posts: 16,173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,495
Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
Nothing done on the truck other than finding some parts I didn't know I had! OMG some times I honestly feel like vomiting with stuff like this. Vomiting or punching my fist through the wall, one of the two.

I am running passenger car brakes and hubs on my truck. Sooooooo, I had a front suspension from a 50 Belair that I was going to run but ended up scraping but keeping the hubs and stuff for my dropped axle. One of the backing plates was messed up where a wheel had came off and wore a half inch or so off the plate on the highway. I thought and thought about building it back with weld, I cleaned it up, thought about it, then got another from a guy that I was getting some other parts from. When I got them, the backing plates he gave me were wrong, so I contacted him again and he sent me the right ones. I bought U bolts from him, and the rubber bumper thingies that go on the axle. Then I found that I screwed up and had two left hand shock mounts sand blasted and epoxy primed, crap, I got the right from from that same guy, along with the correct spacers for the backing plates to use them on truck spindles. I rebuild the hubs I had with all new studs because those sucked. My story being I put a BUNCH of time into those passenger car hubs, backing plates and what not.

Sooooooooooo a couple of day ago I am clearing stuff out of my shed for my move and find boxes full of hardware for passenger car backing plates and front shock brackets and U bolts and axle bumpers! WTH? I don't even remember ever having these! Then later I found a milk crate with complete hubs, backing plates, brake drums, EVERYTHING! WTH?

I am now just vaguely remember having this stuff on the axle I had, still don't know where I got it! Geeeez, no kidding, I have to get over this and get some sleep, geeez.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	444899  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019)
  #29680 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:57 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 61
Posts: 16,173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,495
Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
Today my brother Russ came by to help Nick put the motor in his Falcon. I had to get a photo of his 39 in the driveway behind my Gran Sport, yeah my brother has a cooler daily driver than me, CRAP. My "What did you work on today" was running to the parts stores and hardware store to get stuff they needed for the Falcon. I also made the guide pins for the block to bellhousing that were missing.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	444901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	444903  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019), John long (07-07-2019), Rip VW (07-07-2019), Too Many Projects (07-07-2019)
  #29681 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,881
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,890
Thanked 8,539 Times in 4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Nothing done on the truck other than finding some parts I didn't know I had! OMG some times I honestly feel like vomiting with stuff like this. Vomiting or punching my fist through the wall, one of the two.

I am running passenger car brakes and hubs on my truck. Sooooooo, I had a front suspension from a 50 Belair that I was going to run but ended up scraping but keeping the hubs and stuff for my dropped axle. One of the backing plates was messed up where a wheel had came off and wore a half inch or so off the plate on the highway. I thought and thought about building it back with weld, I cleaned it up, thought about it, then got another from a guy that I was getting some other parts from. When I got them, the backing plates he gave me were wrong, so I contacted him again and he sent me the right ones. I bought U bolts from him, and the rubber bumper thingies that go on the axle. Then I found that I screwed up and had two left hand shock mounts sand blasted and epoxy primed, crap, I got the right from from that same guy, along with the correct spacers for the backing plates to use them on truck spindles. I rebuild the hubs I had with all new studs because those sucked. My story being I put a BUNCH of time into those passenger car hubs, backing plates and what not.

Sooooooooooo a couple of day ago I am clearing stuff out of my shed for my move and find boxes full of hardware for passenger car backing plates and front shock brackets and U bolts and axle bumpers! WTH? I don't even remember ever having these! Then later I found a milk crate with complete hubs, backing plates, brake drums, EVERYTHING! WTH?

I am now just vaguely remember having this stuff on the axle I had, still don't know where I got it! Geeeez, no kidding, I have to get over this and get some sleep, geeez.

Brian
Brian, are you aware that the passenger cars used Huck brakes in 49-50 before going to self energizing Bendix brakes. Both bolt on to the same hubs but are different backing plates and hardware.

I really don't think you want to run Huck brakes.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29682 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 1,928
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2,886
Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
Gonna try to not work on a car or the yard today. We have put in enough sweaty hours over the last 3 days and today looks to be the best weather of the weekend. We are going to wash the Harley and put some miles on it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-07-2019), Rip VW (07-07-2019)
  #29683 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,881
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,890
Thanked 8,539 Times in 4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Gonna try to not work on a car or the yard today. We have put in enough sweaty hours over the last 3 days and today looks to be the best weather of the weekend. We are going to wash the Harley and put some miles on it...
Go for it! I wish I could ride along!

Be safe....

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (07-07-2019)
  #29684 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:44 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boise, Idaho
Age: 61
Posts: 16,173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6,495
Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Brian, are you aware that the passenger cars used Huck brakes in 49-50 before going to self energizing Bendix brakes. Both bolt on to the same hubs but are different backing plates and hardware.

I really don't think you want to run Huck brakes.

John
I'll look into what I have, I think they are Bendix. But you know, I drove my Rambler every single day for 8 years with Warner brakes that I believe are the same, non self adjusting. They did the job for me.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29685 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 74
Posts: 4,881
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,890
Thanked 8,539 Times in 4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I'll look into what I have, I think they are Bendix. But you know, I drove my Rambler every single day for 8 years with Warner brakes that I believe are the same, non self adjusting. They did the job for me.

Brian
Since the Bendix are a direct replacement for the Huck, you can always swap them out later if need be.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


« Come On Man! | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 76 (2 members and 74 guests)
idrivejunk, 123pugsy
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 16 11-07-2015 04:26 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Questions 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.