The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2002 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,967 Times in 3,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
"What did I work on today?" Ohhhhhh, this was nothing but fun, I about vomited with the thought of it. My wife and I talked about it quite a while, how do we do this, do we pay for the parts? Do we send him on his way? I am packing or getting ready in some way every friggin hour, so do I take the time to help him?
I had to, that is me, CRAP, some times I wish I was a dumb *** jerk who can't do anything like working on cars and stuff, CRAP!

My brother in law called last night with a problem with his car. The rad was leaking, we are talking a MIND BLOWING PIECE OF CRAP SMASHED FRONT AND REAR MILLION MILE '97 RAV4. Now mind you, he makes a "living" with this car delivering food via "DoorDash" so if it's down he isn't making a dime. And he needs that dime so he has 80 cents in his pocket. I am so blown away at the big gray area of humans and their lives. You have people who make money without even trying, driving $100k cars living in $2mil houses that when you talk to them they don't sound any different than my BIL.

He rents a room in a mobile home park from an 80 something year old woman. He was given $70k a couple of years ago from the sale of his mom's house and my wife getting him $20k (another story) and it's GONE, he has $100 in his checking account! He BLEW $70k! This is without buying a single thing to show for it, no new car, no nothing, he BLEW it going to crap like meet and greets with old TV stars and crap like that. He BLEW seventy thousand dollars! leaving him with NOTHING!

Anyway, frustrating as hell I'll tell you. I bought the radiator and installed it today, that is what I did, whooo hooooooo. I know am BEAT and can't do anything. Hopefully after a few hours of rest I will be able to do something productive, right now, I am going to sleep on the couch.

Brian
That sure isn't the kind of thing you need at the moment, but trust me you made the right move going for a nap. Took one earlier myself. 35K a year is the price of a minimal existance these days especially out there. At least Ravs have a tie bar that unbolts, right? Mr Nice guy.

Enjoy whats left of the day. Eat. You'll feel good about it later.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Dave57210 (08-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Grand Prix user

I don't know whether this is a come on man or how cool is this but while I was nabbing pics of all the Tempests Dad bought new, there was another one I couldn't resist and its more entertaining by a longshot. It is a good example of the ingenuity downgrade from his generation to mine.

The go kart with a reverse gear I showed previously and told about has a history pre-dating the tires which were old when he got them. The version never photographed is etched in our memories, we called it the Green Monster and it was a lawnmower sporting three two stroke Clinton engines on blades and one four stroke for propulsion. A 3.5 horser. Lo and behold, the photo below shows the original contraption on which that engine was used. He called it "Tippy" and this is in 1967 or 8.

I say those years because I was sucking my thumb in a stroller riding in the trailer behind it. Lucky for you, I cropped that out along with his horn rims. To get a better look at the machine. It had only the two tires you see but there were rollers on the corners of the mowing deck, just out of view.

Ha! Now if that ain't an ancient technological marvel, I don't know what is!

What I left in when I cropped the pic was the chainsaw in the front of the trailer. The yellow thing. Fast forward about a half century, and...

There ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_170956.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	445787  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (08-03-2019), Dave57210 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,254 Times in 4,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
That sure isn't the kind of thing you need at the moment, but trust me you made the right move going for a nap. Took one earlier myself. 35K a year is the price of a minimal existance these days especially out there. At least Ravs have a tie bar that unbolts, right? Mr Nice guy.

Enjoy whats left of the day. Eat. You'll feel good about it later.
Not in 97! I had to pull the damaged bumper, reinforcment, ac condensor and both headlamps off. Then try to repair the reinforcement and brackets with a slide hammer so it would bolt back on.

My wife just woke me up after sleeping three hours I really don't feel well, crap!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-04-2019)

Old 08-03-2019, 07:23 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)

boo hooin right there with ya cause i just got over my second cold in two lousey months! worked right thru cause i was working alone doing a house rewire and the cold was just a buttload of nose blowing an lougey hockin . i like to pronouce that Loo Gee, just for fun. go ahead, say it, LooGee Hockin! it's a lot more fun that lougey hocking. anyway. that junk lawn mower scares me and the name you gave it Tippy, didn't help. My backs been f'd. but hey in the last 2 months i've found out 3 close friends joined one other in the cancer dept! liver, lymph, bone and the other i forget.

so today i FINALLY used that fg Holley rebuild kit i bought like three THREE years ago!! Wow! Holley said use Lacquer Thinner or carb cleaner. Berrymans was $36!!! a gal of L.T was $16 so i got that and it didn't even remove the carbon unless i scrubbed it with a tooth brush. but i only left it sitting in there about two hours. was it that or did i not leave it overnight? anyway, i threw it back together. took most of the day i guess but it was nice to spend some time in the garrage. Only had to undo something like three times. oh well, haven't built one it well over ten years. it wasnt even the one i thought i had. but i guess that's ok because i dont even think this truck is the same one that had the carb im thinking about on it!!! could be, i'm losing my marbles. but i've had this truck since 89. i could have sworn i had spring loaded needles valves and float bowl baffles!!! but they dont even make them for this carb so........... and no springs either. so i just said screw it, i never go off road anyway since it's all locked up, so what the hell. i sure wish i could get it to Bakersfield for Wasteland Weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5L_VIXCYVtA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bullheimer For This Useful Post:
Dave57210 (08-04-2019), Too Many Projects (08-03-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:02 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,131 Times in 621 Posts
You are a good man Brian. I had to do that one or two times in my past. It is the type of person you are and that says a lot about a person..

Ok, I know you have a truck reserved for your move. I wanted to ask you is it gas or diesel? I ask this as I found out something interesting. I rented a Gas 16 ft truck to move some stuff about 35 miles. The darn thing was a gasoholic!! It guzzled the gas were talking about 5 to 6 a mile. This move I rented Diesel trucks and was amazed at the improvement in mileage. My full size E150 don't get as good a mileage. Just some food for thought..
Old 08-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Grand Prix user

page 2002, speaking of queasy guts

Last of the page / year thing. My ex-40th anniversary GTP. One of 1,147 made, 135K miles and I destroyed it thoroughly. Good organ donor though, and that was that. Didn't have it long enough to change the oil.

Today I have not done a thing yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	445805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4152.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	445807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	445809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4407.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	445811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5925.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	445813  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-04-2019), MARTINSR (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,254 Times in 4,531 Posts
I had one as a company car when I was a paint rep, it was nice, I enjoyed it.

Brian
Old 08-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Not in 97! I had to pull the damaged bumper, reinforcment, ac condensor and both headlamps off. Then try to repair the reinforcement and brackets with a slide hammer so it would bolt back on.

My wife just woke me up after sleeping three hours I really don't feel well, crap!

Brian
LOL. That sux royal. But this is what happens when I ever so slightly comment on things others are doing to vehicles. The one thing I mention somehow always makes things worse. Hope today is better for you.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,689 Times in 3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
You are a good man Brian. I had to do that one or two times in my past. It is the type of person you are and that says a lot about a person..

Ok, I know you have a truck reserved for your move. I wanted to ask you is it gas or diesel? I ask this as I found out something interesting. I rented a Gas 16 ft truck to move some stuff about 35 miles. The darn thing was a gasoholic!! It guzzled the gas were talking about 5 to 6 a mile. This move I rented Diesel trucks and was amazed at the improvement in mileage. My full size E150 don't get as good a mileage. Just some food for thought..
RIP, who has diesel moving trucks to rent ? I only find gas engines and YES, they LOVE to suck.....gasoline...
Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Batteries. Yes, plural. First thing this morning, I had to change out the battery in the Camaro to make sure it's good for my oldest to take it back to school. About $140. Then, this afternoon I had to replace the one in my brides van. Another $140. Camaro battery was over 6 years old, and the one in the van was over 8 years old. Can't really complain about the age of them, but durn... both on the same day. That hurt!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 PM

My weekend...yesterday, I cleaned up under a Star Magnolia tree we've had for many years. It had outgrown the ring of stones I used as a barrier a long time ago and we pulled all the stones out a few months back, intending to put a plastic landscaping ring and mulch around it. Well, now that we are going to be selling the place, I did that yesterday, late morning and into the early afternoon. It looks nice for the NEXT owners...

Then my wife reminded me that the bottom shelf of the upstairs bathroom cabinet needed to be replaced. It was particle board and something had leaked before we bought the house and it swelled up and was falling apart. It was our sons bathroom and I never went in there to be reminded. It's been like that for 19 friggen years... She was cleaning out all the expired products and tossing what we don't want/need anymore, for moving, and saw it again. So last evening I tore it out, went to Lowe's and got a piece of 1/4" plywood and some nifty wood look self stick shelf paper and proceeded to replace it. It looks 100% better than it did for selling, but it's kind of cheesy with the shelf paper...oh well...

This morning I drove my '69 C10 to a car show/swap meet/car corral 22 miles away. What a bust and waste of $15 and 4.5 hours of time. I was 1 of 3 vehicles in the car corral, there were 6 swappers and VERY few people, other than show participants walking around, looking at the cars.

I left at noon, came home and picked up all the hoses for watering the lawn, to keep it green for selling...
Then I removed the utility sink in the laundry room to repair a 12X16 hole in the wall beside and under it. There was/is an outside faucet there, but it was very close to the ground. When we had the house resided 10 years ago, I moved the faucet up high enough to fit a 5 gallon pail under and installed a frost free faucet, instead of the drain valve in the house to keep the old one from freezing. Well today, after 10 YEARS of looking at that hole, I made a patch and got it screwed in. I need to get some adhesive rock tape and putty and smooth over the cut lines and blend it better and it will be done too.

WHY do we live with all the "stuff" we intend to do, but put it off until it's time to sell...
OK, maybe it's just me. I'm sure there are many others who follow thru and get these kinds of projects finished right away...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Batteries. Yes, plural. First thing this morning, I had to change out the battery in the Camaro to make sure it's good for my oldest to take it back to school. About $140. Then, this afternoon I had to replace the one in my brides van. Another $140. Camaro battery was over 6 years old, and the one in the van was over 8 years old. Can't really complain about the age of them, but durn... both on the same day. That hurt!

I've had summers like that too, with 11 cars and a lawn tractor to keep track of, something always needs a battery.
The Pete had 4 batteries when I bought it and after replacing all 4 at the same time..., the next time, I only installed 3. 2 were wired in tandem to run the starter and the lone one powered the cab. That arrangement worked just fine for 13 of the 17 years I owned the truck...
Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Grand Prix user

In the last three hours-
I mowed front and back and weedeated. That part is a pain in neck, it won't feed line and leaks gas so 40-50 feet then R&I the spool and refuel. Seven times.

Then I checked weather and washed the GTP, inside of wheels and tire shiny but no jambs. Dried, garaged.

Took a drive in the Model J. Too much traffic, not very enjoyable.

On an IDJ sized scale yeah, thats packing it all in at the last minute. Groceries was earlier because nothing to drink. Posting while eating and putting laundry in so I can start that after shower and finish during westerns. The secret project eats up a lot of IDJ too.

Chores. It was a typical can't-quite-finish Friday so I be starting from the back this week. Everybody hit 'em easy.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:38 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,739 Times in 2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
WHY do we live with all the "stuff" we intend to do, but put it off until it's time to sell...
OK, maybe it's just me. I'm sure there are many others who follow thru and get these kinds of projects finished right away...

Nope. It's because one might just knock down the whole house and the repair would a been a waste of time.....
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,739 Times in 2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post

Damn......Optima in the boat. 12 years and toast. That was quick. A week later, the other one which was only ten years old dies...sheesh...
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (08-05-2019)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »