The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2022 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2019, 05:23 AM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Wiki Edits: 0

Not much done yesterday. Headed over to the garage to work on my truck and saw the side door hanging open. Dad had been in there, and was trying to fix the garage door on the house. He was struggling, and could barely stand. Parkinsons sucks. Very much bad. Garage door opener is not working right. Springs seem to be in pretty rough shape. One is adjusted as far as I can adjust it, and the other I set to have the door hang evenly. Door opener only opens the door if I provide a little assistance, otherwise it stops after about 6-8 inches of travel. Looks like it's time to replace the springs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 05:35 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,821 Times in 2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Not much done yesterday. Headed over to the garage to work on my truck and saw the side door hanging open. Dad had been in there, and was trying to fix the garage door on the house. He was struggling, and could barely stand. Parkinsons sucks. Very much bad. Garage door opener is not working right. Springs seem to be in pretty rough shape. One is adjusted as far as I can adjust it, and the other I set to have the door hang evenly. Door opener only opens the door if I provide a little assistance, otherwise it stops after about 6-8 inches of travel. Looks like it's time to replace the springs.

Sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well. It's good that you are there to help out.
How is your wife ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2019), cozwurth (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well. It's good that you are there to help out.

How is your wife ?
She's fine. Recovered very well from the surgery and is back to normal. Thanks for asking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-02-2019), John long (08-30-2019)

Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
She's fine. Recovered very well from the surgery and is back to normal. Thanks for asking.

The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:49 AM

Shock swap and air lift installed on the truck. My truck rode really nice before I lowered it. Afterwards it rode kinda harsh. Yeah, I know. Duh! I didn't change the shocks though. I put Bell Tech Nitro Drop shocks all the way around, and it rides so much better it's almost unbelievable. Rides like it did before I lowered it. I got my old truck back, lol. I guess the OEM style shocks were out of their effective range? Whatever. It rides nice again. I'll find out how the air lift bags work next time I carry a load or tow my trailer.

The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 01:20 PM

Another good day. Dad and I took a nice long ride in the '57, venturing off into some small winding back roads that would be really fun on a motorcycle. Good times. When we got back, I got to work on their garage door that was acting up. I got the springs swapped out and adjusted, but that wasn't all of the problem. When we installed them 20 years ago, we did not install any side to side diagonal bracing at the motor. We have fore/aft bracing on both sides since that's the direction of the stress. I noticed that it was shaking/vibrating side to side when it would cut off. I used a broom handle to lightly press the side of the supports and it worked fine. Installed another diagonal brace from side to side and we're back in business. I guess maybe there is some kind of motion or vibration switch in it? No idea. It's fixed, for now at least. Mom is talking about replacing both doors and openers anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-31-2019), idrivejunk (08-31-2019), Too Many Projects (09-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,469 Times in 2,019 Posts
A bit of welding done.........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9453.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	447287  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-31-2019), John long (08-31-2019), MARTINSR (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 06:12 AM

Still packing boxes and shuttling them to the new place. MY GOD, how do 2 people accumulate SO MUCH crap ??!!
Getting the basement cleared out. We found several boxes down there that were untouched from the time we moved in...19 YEARS ago...we did jettison a few of them, but most are "mementos" of our son growing up. You guys know what that means..."oh, I can't let this go yet"... Happy wife, happy life...
I started boxing up 2 of the cabinets in the shop to take the cabinets to the new lower level storage space. I have a TON of "stuff" that can't freeze in the current shop and the new pole building isn't heated, so, there it goes, in the basement...

I will be doing some automotive work soon. The front hub bearing that is failing on the HHR is getting louder every time I drive it now. Should be able to determine which it is, but I'm thinking I'll just replace them both and not have to deal with the other side in 2 months with no heat to work in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-02-2019), 496CHEVY3100 (09-02-2019), MARTINSR (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,979 Times in 2,946 Posts
Quote:
Still packing boxes and shuttling them to the new place. MY GOD, how do 2 people accumulate SO MUCH crap ??!!
Getting the basement cleared out. We found several boxes down there that were untouched from the time we moved in...19 YEARS ago...we did jettison a few of them, but most are "mementos" of our son growing up. You guys know what that means..."oh, I can't let this go yet"... Happy wife, happy life...
I started boxing up 2 of the cabinets in the shop to take the cabinets to the new lower level storage space. I have a TON of "stuff" that can't freeze in the current shop and the new pole building isn't heated, so, there it goes, in the basement...

I will be doing some automotive work soon. The front hub bearing that is failing on the HHR is getting louder every time I drive it now. Should be able to determine which it is, but I'm thinking I'll just replace them both and not have to deal with the other side in 2 months with no heat to work in.
I can tell you how much stuffs one person can accumulate in 20 years.

Not trying to curse you by any means but if you have trouble locating a roar or growl kind of bearing sound... when I got my GT it had a noise like that and I figured wheel bearings but ended up finding out the diff in the 4T60E was obliterated. Wheelspin in wet wintry conditions eats those quick, my car had 117.000 miles on it. And the fluid looked fine. That is a "just sayin" FYI because you been driving on it.

On a "lighter" note and in keeping relevant with current events...

I upgraded my work spot with lighting and a moving blanket-

Gathered "special" tools from last time in-

Currently gathering resolve. It is not a nice place to use a puller. Maybe this time (pulley bearing last time, went bad after splashy too much water) I'll get smart and drop the compressor onto the frame or remove the engine mount I just put in, to lower it. Still has refrigerant in the system. Could be I botched the bearing install but I was told those are only good for about a year and yep its been about that. What I am expecting to find is a failed and fragged electromagnet. The pulley turns easily but feels like a box 'o rox.

The old hydraulic engine mount nearby had the nasty goop from inside it splashed everywhere from me driving it so long. Cleaned that off the coolant reservoir and CV boot, etc Friday when I took wheel, shield and belt off and raised the car.

The clutch could have eaten a gob of that funk. No CV boot damage that I have found but it was real close to frame with a bad mount. The goop just doesn't look like CV grease but as David pointed out it was more like oil and water "milkshake" that was in the mount. Goo stuck on surrounding parts is heavy-bodied and light colored and opaque. Could be milkshake though, that new old mount had a pool of oil next to it and coolant leaks are frequent with this O ringed coolant elbow setup on heater hoses. When I put engine and trans mounts in it, I inadvertantly left one dog bone connected and dented the oil pan, ruining the gasket's seal. So its a mess and I am about to be but theres a sportin chance that if I dig in, I can be back in the game with air.

Theres ya something to root for. I'm burnin daylight. Guess first thing is probably to put that belt back on to hold the pulley while I get that nut off. GM, everything is press fit plus something on this setup.

If I don't win today, it'll keep. Most of you guys would be done by the time I composed this post. By the way, the car is aaalmost to the 275k mark.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-02-2019), 496CHEVY3100 (09-02-2019), cozwurth (09-02-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-02-2019), Too Many Projects (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Purists Hate Me

Fender flange is coming along......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9498.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	447355  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-02-2019), Too Many Projects (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Grand Prix User

Done tripped myself before layin a tool to er. That plate don't hold still with the belt on. Pugsy uses fancy apostophicated, capitalized "D'oh!"s but I use plain duhs and thats my allotment. If fixing my car on Labor Day ain't enough

Now how the heck did I jam that plate to do the nut before? Trying blocking one of those flats against the subframe but everything is slipping off. Seems like thats what I did. Impact is the usual thing to use, I suspect. Only surviving 13mm socket here is a 1/4" drive.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,783 Times in 4,336 Posts
Quote:

My mind is offically blown over the friggin amount of stuff we have!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Done tripped myself before layin a tool to er. That plate don't hold still with the belt on. Pugsy uses fancy apostophicated, capitalized "D'oh!"s but I use plain duhs and thats my allotment. If fixing my car on Labor Day ain't enough

Now how the heck did I jam that plate to do the nut before? Trying blocking one of those flats against the subframe but everything is slipping off. Seems like thats what I did. Impact is the usual thing to use, I suspect. Only surviving 13mm socket here is a 1/4" drive.

Damn......now you got me to thinking how I tightened mine when I reassembled the compressor.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Grand Prix User

Well, when you want to stop the machine, throw a wrench in it. I'm in like Errol Flynn.

Mitch, I tell you that trans story every time you say hub. Change the hubs and stop the madness!

Compressor down, front bracket off, scoot compressor over. Aha!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190902_153101.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	447357   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_161805.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	447359  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-02-2019), Too Many Projects (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Grand Prix User

Ancient pipe wrench thru subframe make remover hold still. Still notchy when turning the pulley, feels like it is the compressor. The 02 one feels smoove. Ran into a hitch and quit for the day. Sure was a load of crusty funk behind the clutch. I had noticed the idle compensating for compressor a lot lately. Borrowed snap ring pliers last time but got HF ones with changeable heads since then, for this time. Not enough reach. Just by a hair's breadth, and unable to improvise. Groceries and cruisin with Grape are the only chores left I reckon. Actually plugged the compressor in Saturday to air up GT tires. Don't know what will pop up next on that car but a week's usage will find out. It seems eager for the exercise. I will just pack a sweat rag and feel like a kid again. Really sweltering always takes me back to the carb era.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190902_170802.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	447365   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_173343.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	447367  
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-02-2019)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in