The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2043 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,655 Times in 2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
You have room to carry slicks and a jack, choose your boost. When I bested in the J it was by switching from 235/75R15s to 255/60R15s in the pits. Went from 14.6 to .2. Play. You have a kid to guard tools and tires in the pits.

I've still got a bit of speed to grab up yet.
I didn't install the control arm link bars yet.
These times are bunny hop starts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Wiki Edits: 0

Pass side is a bit more "flintstone", but not awful. Rear floorboards will clean up nice. I know I have a little hole in the driver side floor under the back seat, but I'm not getting there today. Poncho 400 gone, time to mow...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (10-12-2019), idrivejunk (10-12-2019), Rip VW (10-13-2019), Too Many Projects (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Pass side is a bit more "flintstone", but not awful. Rear floorboards will clean up nice. I know I have a little hole in the driver side floor under the back seat, but I'm not getting there today. Poncho 400 gone, time to mow...

Nice to find some decent floors. Always a pain to fix as it's never just the floor pans.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (10-12-2019)

Old 10-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,279 Times in 3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I've still got a bit of speed to grab up yet.
I didn't install the control arm link bars yet.
These times are bunny hop starts.
This seems strange to me, the hop thing. No, not the cook on Bonanza. Drove that suspension most of my life and never had it. Also never heard of a sway bar helping with it. Perhaps its a phemomenon that can't be generated with a Q-Jet. I'll shut up but I still think you could cut your R/T if you are launching when the green comes on, by leaving when the light before it goes out. Driver in the quaalude car (#714) knows.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

Lookin mighty familiar. At least the little holes let it drain.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Nice to find some decent floors. Always a pain to fix as it's never just the floor pans.
Quote:
Lookin mighty familiar. At least the little holes let it drain.
Honestly, I thought the floors would have been in better shape. But then, it did spend nearly 30 years out in the weather as a daily driver. I'll spend some time on the Ausley's web site this evening and see what kind of floor boards are available. I'll pick up a set of wheelwell trim moldings, too, to help me get the shape right on the patches. Michelangelo didn't get the body line right behind the tire, so I knew there was a significant amount of mud back there. Those trim pieces, along with a relatively untouched pass side should give me a decent chance of getting it close, anyway. I'll be taking my bride down to Duke cancer center for her 6 month checkup with the lung docs next month, so we can slide on down to Graham to Ausley's to pick up some parts after her appointments.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (10-12-2019), Too Many Projects (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
This seems strange to me, the hop thing. No, not the cook on Bonanza. Drove that suspension most of my life and never had it. Also never heard of a sway bar helping with it. Perhaps its a phemomenon that can't be generated with a Q-Jet. I'll shut up but I still think you could cut your R/T if you are launching when the green comes on, by leaving when the light before it goes out. Driver in the quaalude car (#714) knows.

I will install the links and see if it stops. After that, no more, just drive and build the next car.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (10-12-2019), Too Many Projects (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 04:36 PM
Grand Prix User

Ha! Knew you would have vid.

I can hear it hop though. Sounds similar to my ancient vid but ...

more banter later, walk through a thought process with me here please Mr Fixit.

I was wanting to get my heater fan back working. First, I dug through bins hunting for switches. Have a few. Look at fusebox to see how many amp fuse it has. 25. Hmm. Since I've gone through two flimsy switches now (they just pick a day and don't click or work anymore) I figures I better use a relay even though thats beyond my skill level without instruction.

Used to run the HEI on a relay but occasionally when cold it wouldn't shut off. So I had removed it. Now, where is it? I look on the inner fender to see and find this, which I believe was the fuseholder for my aux fan that I brag on so much.

Swear I heard it run recently. Anyway wtf happened here? Spontaneous combustion of fuse? Looks like there was electrical tape but I would also swear it had a nice weatherproof fuseholder there that came with the install kit.

Another feature bites the dust. Mercifully, for a simple man. Orange wires were stuck together hanging next to the battery. Nothing else looks toasty but theres a tiny leaf under the relay on the controller. Disconnecting it at the battery now, and counting blessings. All I wanted was a rip snort.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Ok. I'm seeing a definite problem on the roof. This thing has more pits than a redhead at the beach has freckles... That, and some of the bigger ones went through. I knew there were a couple of those, but I wasn't counting on the multitude of pits. How hard is it to change the roof skin?

The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Ok. I'm seeing a definite problem on the roof. This thing has more pits than a redhead at the beach has freckles... That, and some of the bigger ones went through. I knew there were a couple of those, but I wasn't counting on the multitude of pits. How hard is it to change the roof skin?

Way easier than a guy might think. What would you like to know? I have done a couple Camaros with different style roof skins (different at sail panels) and would be glad to offer a brief description of how those go. I might need to dig to see Chevelle differences but the procedure ought to be similar. Any rust in your drip rails?

I'm gonna get my rip snort, its pretty nice out. Just blew a half hour searching for the GPJ drag vid to no avail.
cozwurth (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:

I'd have thought I died and got to heaven if my floors looked that good when I bought my '39 Chev!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Decided to play with my trunk latch and the struts today I used body panel adhesive on the nutserts and installed them into the glass trunk lid to make that end of the strut mount more secure. Then moved on to the latch I removed from a canopy at the wrecking yard. I made up three plates, two for the catches, and one for the handle operator. Welded the catches to the plate with a tack and checked operation. It needed another 1/4" out so I cut it loose and tacked it further towards the edge. Mounted up both catches, and then pop riveted the operator to the center plate. Shortened the operating rods and redrilled the holes. Still need to drill for a couple clips to keep the rods on now that I know it works.

Started figuring out what I need to do to build my floor shifter. I'm going to use a spare Hurst shifter arm and then build up a mounting plate to pivot on, and a rod to go to the tranny to attach for shifting. I want it to have the look of a manual trans, as I'm not fond of the newer style shifters available.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-12-2019), cozwurth (10-12-2019), idrivejunk (10-12-2019), Too Many Projects (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Grand Prix User

Dave just so you know theres a sketch brewing in my head. I was hunting relevant pix and oh my... didn't know you can get a "skeleton" body for twelve grand. That will probably result in decreased value of real ones like it did with fastback Mustangs.

As long as we're showing both sides-

Header leaks right about there. Heres the new defroster-

Had me a good loud rippy rip. With lots of ripping on it in it. Bless it's heart.
cozwurth (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Decided to play with my trunk latch and the struts today I used body panel adhesive on the nutserts and installed them into the glass trunk lid to make that end of the strut mount more secure. Then moved on to the latch I removed from a canopy at the wrecking yard. I made up three plates, two for the catches, and one for the handle operator. Welded the catches to the plate with a tack and checked operation. It needed another 1/4" out so I cut it loose and tacked it further towards the edge. Mounted up both catches, and then pop riveted the operator to the center plate. Shortened the operating rods and redrilled the holes. Still need to drill for a couple clips to keep the rods on now that I know it works.

Started figuring out what I need to do to build my floor shifter. I'm going to use a spare Hurst shifter arm and then build up a mounting plate to pivot on, and a rod to go to the tranny to attach for shifting. I want it to have the look of a manual trans, as I'm not fond of the newer style shifters available.
I like your trunk latch setup. Foraging at it's finest.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Grand Prix User

I have contained my thoughts to one emerald tablet's worth. Dave I may have lost some pics I was looking for, to see how its put together. This may assist you in seeing whats going on with the roof rail construction. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Pen stuff at top is drip rail, pencil is sail panel. Shapes are imaginary. I vote patch over all four.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-12-2019), cozwurth (10-12-2019), Gearhead Poppa (10-13-2019)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« How cool is this | - »