The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2108 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2020, 10:08 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,102 Times in 610 Posts
Mr Coswurth,

My heartfelt condolences in this time of your grief.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (01-31-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2020, 12:56 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,810 Times in 4,367 Posts
I too am sorry to hear about your dad Dave. I will be 75 this summer. 76 seems awfully young to me.

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I know you will miss him terribly.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:48 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
This past week and a half has been a mixture of good and terrible. The good has been footers dug, forms set, inspections passed, and concrete poured. My garage is scheduled to be erected on Monday. The terrible involves CPR, ambulances, an ICU, and the loss of my dad. He was 76.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Damn.....sorry for your loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (01-31-2020)

Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 AM

wiring gas tank

Man me sleepy, gas tank install, fuel pump, wiring, stick shift knob, adjusted the valves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_073936[1].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	451461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_073950[1].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	451463   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_074220[2].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	451465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_074344[1].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	451467  
The Following User Says Thank You to jagco For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:45 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,699 Times in 3,817 Posts
GTP got bird bombed with a vengeance today out of the wild blue yonder and on the fly. Splats from headlight to sunroof, bad enough I got the hose out at 44. At least it is already hog dirty.

This was new, the battery light came on three times that I noticed. So begins my next adventure with my noble mount. Owner's manual first, to see what that means. Probably means I should follow my gut more often and swap that alternator with the spare off the 02. Might be the other grumbly belted thing.

Lets see... 13.6 - 14.2, right? Voltage at alt. Been awhile.

Outside of making it home sweet home after all, met the family and friend at a steak place and we et like hogs. Glad it's Friday, the days are getting longer, the forecast is pleasant and theres Pontiacs still.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-31-2020), John long (01-31-2020), Too Many Projects (02-07-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

I got all of the forms around the slab removed today. There were a couple of pieces that are trapped by concrete, so they're staying. They will be covered by back fill anyway. Cleanup tomorrow, and get all of the boards together. I'm gonna need a lot of fill dirt to grade around this thing...

The Following User Says Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:24 PM

My personell Black Cloud

Wow I can't seem to shake this black cloud following me. So Wednesday the Contractor starts excavating for the shop and right off the bat broke the water line. so they lost a couple a hours and they finished about 75 percent of the excavation by the end of the day.

Thursday morning it is a dry morning and the excavation gets done quickly. the forms get started and by the end of the day it is raining and they noticed the footing trench was starting to fill with water. They finished a good bit of work with the rebar and went home to dry out.

We have had a record busting rainfall so far this year and these days it rains more than naught. The drainage ditches are full to capacity and there is no where for the water to go. Well Last night was a major down pour all night. I got up this morning at daybreak as as soon as it was light enough I looked out at the forms and they were close to disappeared under water.

The trench has filled with water from my roof and downspouts and to make matters worse the drainage ditch is almost at flood stage. This keeps the water from draining to allow my lot to drain and now there is no where for it to go except to the excavation as it is at the lowest point.

So it rained quite a bit today and the water level seemed to have stabilized at about 4 inches deep. More rain tonight and tomorrow but should be dry Sunday and a Dry day on Monday. If the water recedes enough to show bare ground we will have inspection and pour on Monday. If this gets delayed it is gonna screw up the contractor as he has a set date for the trusses to be delivered and that is the 13th He needs something to set them on.

Coswurth I envy you... Looks like your build is moving along. I keep having this black cloud following me. Whats up with that?

OK a couple a pictures for those that need them. A couple of dry days work before the deluge. My shop inspector fails the work over a random stick in her way. The Great Flood and the Shop inspector giving me a report on the work so far.

So I think I am going to pray for No Rain for the next 3 days. Once we get the work on the foundation done, the french drain installed and back filled that will help reduce the water from causing any more problems. Normally the water level is was down but with all this rain this year it is so high it slows taking more water. I wonder what it is going to take to make this black cloud go away
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DryAsCanBe1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	451481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DryAsCanBe2.jpg
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	451483   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopInspectorFail.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	451485   Click image for larger version

Name:	SettingForms.jpg
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	451487   Click image for larger version

Name:	GreatFlood12020.jpg
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	451489  

Name:	GreatFlood22020.jpg
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	451491   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopInspectorReporting.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	451493  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-01-2020), Too Many Projects (02-07-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Wow I can't seem to shake this black cloud following me. So Wednesday the Contractor starts excavating for the shop and right off the bat broke the water line. so they lost a couple a hours and they finished about 75 percent of the excavation by the end of the day.

Thursday morning it is a dry morning and the excavation gets done quickly. the forms get started and by the end of the day it is raining and they noticed the footing trench was starting to fill with water. They finished a good bit of work with the rebar and went home to dry out.

We have had a record busting rainfall so far this year and these days it rains more than naught. The drainage ditches are full to capacity and there is no where for the water to go. Well Last night was a major down pour all night. I got up this morning at daybreak as as soon as it was light enough I looked out at the forms and they were close to disappeared under water.

The trench has filled with water from my roof and downspouts and to make matters worse the drainage ditch is almost at flood stage. This keeps the water from draining to allow my lot to drain and now there is no where for it to go except to the excavation as it is at the lowest point.

So it rained quite a bit today and the water level seemed to have stabilized at about 4 inches deep. More rain tonight and tomorrow but should be dry Sunday and a Dry day on Monday. If the water recedes enough to show bare ground we will have inspection and pour on Monday. If this gets delayed it is gonna screw up the contractor as he has a set date for the trusses to be delivered and that is the 13th He needs something to set them on.

Coswurth I envy you... Looks like your build is moving along. I keep having this black cloud following me. Whats up with that?

OK a couple a pictures for those that need them. A couple of dry days work before the deluge. My shop inspector fails the work over a random stick in her way. The Great Flood and the Shop inspector giving me a report on the work so far.

So I think I am going to pray for No Rain for the next 3 days. Once we get the work on the foundation done, the french drain installed and back filled that will help reduce the water from causing any more problems. Normally the water level is was down but with all this rain this year it is so high it slows taking more water. I wonder what it is going to take to make this black cloud go away

A pump would be a good place to start to make the cloud go away. I bought a nice pump for my build, as I have the same cloud. I just kept at it pumping away so that when the rain stopped, it would dry up quick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-01-2020), Too Many Projects (02-07-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Here in Oregon you can't dig without first having a locate service check for water, gas, or electric lines. It avoids such things like this, and also avoids anyone possibly being killed by hitting buried electric lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,810 Times in 4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Here in Oregon you can't dig without first having a locate service check for water, gas, or electric lines. It avoids such things like this, and also avoids anyone possibly being killed by hitting buried electric lines.
LOL, you obviously missed the post where RIP had all the services located. The locater missed both the location of the water and sewer.

Rip. You don't have a black cloud hanging over you. You just live in western Washington. No wonder the suicide rate is sky high in Seattle. 9 months of rain for 3 months of perfect weather is a tough trade off.

Hang in there. It will get done.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL, you obviously missed the post where RIP had all the services located. The locater missed both the location of the water and sewer.

Rip. You don't have a black cloud hanging over you. You just live in western Washington. No wonder the suicide rate is sky high in Seattle. 9 months of rain for 3 months of perfect weather is a tough trade off.

Hang in there. It will get done.

John
I think I'd be contacting the locate service for a refund, or to pay for the damaged water line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-01-2020), Too Many Projects (02-07-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post

Yes I had the locators out and they marked Power and phone and cable correctly! When it comes to water and sewer the Locators will only locate to the edge of the property or the meter wherever it is. The sewer has a Pit buried right on the corner of the lot. That is where the sewer Locator stops. This is the 811 locating service. and they are adamant that they don't cross property lines for water and sewer. They will for Power and gas as the meters are usually at the house.

I had to hire on my dime a private Locator to find water and sewer on my property. I paid good money for him to locate the sewer and water lines. I do not know what he was following but it was NOT the water Line. I still have the blue paint marks where he said it was but he missed the boat by 30 feet Big time.

I have a call in to the company for an explanation of how this happened. If they don't call me on Monday I will go to there office and demand my money back. The sewer was about 5 feet north of where it should have been and the water was not even marked anywhere near where it was.

Yes both the contractor and I relied on the locate service I hired but this was a Big failure on the Locate service. I even watched him run around the yard with his equipment and mark the lines. To say the least I am disappointed.

So pipe repaired and now it is the monsoon rains that is delaying us as The water must go down in the trench before inspection.. I checked it this morning and it is down to about 2 to 3 inches of water left. Let's hope it keeps going down and be gone by Monday.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:11 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,699 Times in 3,817 Posts
Rip, your guy's divining rod must just not be from the right tree, or maybe cut in the wrong moon phase.

This is the kind of impervious individual needed for that kind of job-

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Had to fix the back brakes on the Honda today. Pass side was metal to metal in less than 40k miles. Driver side still looks like new. Turns out that I had a spring in wrong, and the park brake cable was routed wrong. New shoes, correct spring placement and a turned drum later and all seems to be well. All forms around the slab are up and stacked for my concrete guy to pick up. I'm ready for the builder to show up now. I picked up 17 4-bulb T8 fluorescent lights for the shop for 10 bucks each a couple of weeks ago. They will be converted to LED as I run out of bulbs or when the ballasts die. I want my shop built, but I am NOT looking forward to cleaning out dad's and moving stuff over.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-01-2020), idrivejunk (02-01-2020), Rip VW (02-01-2020), Too Many Projects (02-07-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yes I had the locators out and they marked Power and phone and cable correctly! When it comes to water and sewer the Locators will only locate to the edge of the property or the meter wherever it is. The sewer has a Pit buried right on the corner of the lot. That is where the sewer Locator stops. This is the 811 locating service. and they are adamant that they don't cross property lines for water and sewer. They will for Power and gas as the meters are usually at the house.

I had to hire on my dime a private Locator to find water and sewer on my property. I paid good money for him to locate the sewer and water lines. I do not know what he was following but it was NOT the water Line. I still have the blue paint marks where he said it was but he missed the boat by 30 feet Big time.

I have a call in to the company for an explanation of how this happened. If they don't call me on Monday I will go to there office and demand my money back. The sewer was about 5 feet north of where it should have been and the water was not even marked anywhere near where it was.

Yes both the contractor and I relied on the locate service I hired but this was a Big failure on the Locate service. I even watched him run around the yard with his equipment and mark the lines. To say the least I am disappointed.

So pipe repaired and now it is the monsoon rains that is delaying us as The water must go down in the trench before inspection.. I checked it this morning and it is down to about 2 to 3 inches of water left. Let's hope it keeps going down and be gone by Monday.
Before I retired I worked for an electrical contractor as an electrician and we often had to hire a locate service to find lines when we were digging. The cost was stupid high, and I finally convinced the company to buy the equipment to do our own locate. I used it often and found it worked great! It wont always tell you what the line is unless you can find one end and put a signal down the line, but it will let you know there's something below to watch out for. And the intensity of the signal will let you know about how deep it is. Normally water lines are deep enough foundation work wont find them. They usually run deeper than electrical, so we didn't worry about them when trenching our 24" deep runs for electrical work.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-01-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Trivia thread | - »