The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2116 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2020, 08:22 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,063 Posts
https://procarmanuals.com/pdf-online...pair-manual-2/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-14-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 09:31 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,101 Times in 609 Posts
Finally that big ol black cloud lifted and progress was made.

This morning the weather was wet and drizzly changing to rain by 11:00 am. The guys said they would be here by 1:00 pm as concrete was scheduled to be here at 2:00 pm. At about 12:30 the rain stopped and the sky brought out Sun Shine in full force! Pump truck and concrete truck were about 40 minutes late but the job was done and everyone was gone about 4:15 pm. No problems and we are finally moving forward. Life is Good again..

The wife went into town this morning to pick up some supplies for my wheelchair Ramp I am building and came home with an extra. When she was at the Home Depot she went past the tools and spotted a deal on one of these adjustable height tables a couple a people on here had purchased recently.

The table in question is 40 something inches wide and adjustable in height. It works perfect for me as a table or desk and I liked it because I can pull right up to it in my wheelchair. It came with locking casters and fixed position feet. The down side is it had no drawers. The upside it has a nice wood top and it was all assembled. The store had been using it on display and had a closeout price of $169.00. The wife said she saw it and had been looking at these tables since the last discussion on this board.

So the wife picked up the table and brought it home. Pretty Kewl my first new shop fixture for when this new shop gets finished. Happy wife happy life..

Here is a couple a pictures to keep the furnace running!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete1.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	451835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete2.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	451837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete3.JPG
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	451839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete4.JPG
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	451841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete5.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	451843  

Name:	Table1.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	451845  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-14-2020), cozwurth (02-15-2020), idrivejunk (02-14-2020), Too Many Projects (02-14-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 10:18 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Got the new blisters tacked in place.
That's a pretty sexy looking firewall! Very nice work!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-14-2020), idrivejunk (02-14-2020)

Old 02-13-2020, 10:32 PM

I got a lot done on the '39 today. The new to me steel fenders I found are a real game changer! I got them on the other day, but no time for anything else then. Today I made up a plate to help strengthen the chin panel and pop riveted it in place.

Then I grabbed a bunch of bolts and washers and got the grille bolted in also.

One front fender had the bracing bracket missing, so I laid carboard over the passenger side bracket, and then made a template to trace on some 18 ga. steel. It's a lightweight stamped steel bracket, so the 18 ga. was perfect. Had to cut the corners to bend it, and welded them back afterwards. Now I have two!

Drilled the holes and mounted both brackets back to the fenders. They'll get braces down to the frame, and also forward to the nose alongside the grille mounting.

I also made up a top plate for the grille. Just because I thought it will support the grille better, and direct air through the radiator and keep it from going over the top of the radiator. It will get two hood pins mounted on it also to secure the front of the hood. They wont go through the hood, but will be removable by reaching in through the side opening.

The hood still needed a small adjustment as it touched the grille top on the driver's side and passenger side was 1/4" above. So I marked the driver's side and removed the 1/4' off the mating edge to let it drop into place. Just need to do some material removal on the glass repair, and then a skim coat of filler on that side.

Getting pretty close to finishing the front clip, and then I can shoot it in primer, and do final bodywork and block the whole car before shooting the 2x primer.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-14-2020), cozwurth (02-15-2020), Gearhead Poppa (02-14-2020), idrivejunk (02-14-2020), John long (02-15-2020), Rip VW (02-14-2020), Too Many Projects (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Finally that big ol black cloud lifted and progress was made.

This morning the weather was wet and drizzly changing to rain by 11:00 am. The guys said they would be here by 1:00 pm as concrete was scheduled to be here at 2:00 pm. At about 12:30 the rain stopped and the sky brought out Sun Shine in full force! Pump truck and concrete truck were about 40 minutes late but the job was done and everyone was gone about 4:15 pm. No problems and we are finally moving forward. Life is Good again..

The wife went into town this morning to pick up some supplies for my wheelchair Ramp I am building and came home with an extra. When she was at the Home Depot she went past the tools and spotted a deal on one of these adjustable height tables a couple a people on here had purchased recently.
HOORAY for the shop foundation...

On the table, there is another set of holes for the bottom brace at the back. I installed my wife's in that position for better access with a chair. It would let you roll under further too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05444.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	451851  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I got a lot done on the '39 today. The new to me steel fenders I found are a real game changer! I got them on the other day, but no time for anything else then. Today I made up a plate to help strengthen the chin panel and pop riveted it in place.

Dang, you get more done in a day than most of us in a week...

The top plate over the grille, is a must for air flow. My '38, originally, had a divider plate from the center of the grille, back to the radiator to keep the air flowing and cut down on the turbulence of the large area between the grille and rad. I made a new one to match all the "stuff' I have in there and it helped keep the engine cooler, while pulling the trailer.

Once you have the grille to fenders position set, it would make life easier to use weld on cage nuts inside the fenders for future removal without needing 3 hands to hold everything. I've used those on a number of projects and really like them. I get them from McMaster-Carr.

Keep on, keepin' on...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Rip's concrete

I was amazed to see the concrete walls didn't blow out. around here they Use a lot more 2X4's bracing on the top of the walls to keep them straight. But the anchor bolts were installed before the pour. We have to tie the bolts to rebar but we are in a mild earthquake zone. Close to Yellowstone
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM

A few pics of Buick GN narrow frame mods I did

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (02-15-2020), Gearhead Poppa (02-14-2020), idrivejunk (02-14-2020), John long (02-15-2020), Rip VW (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Dang, you get more done in a day than most of us in a week...

The top plate over the grille, is a must for air flow. My '38, originally, had a divider plate from the center of the grille, back to the radiator to keep the air flowing and cut down on the turbulence of the large area between the grille and rad. I made a new one to match all the "stuff' I have in there and it helped keep the engine cooler, while pulling the trailer.

Once you have the grille to fenders position set, it would make life easier to use weld on cage nuts inside the fenders for future removal without needing 3 hands to hold everything. I've used those on a number of projects and really like them. I get them from McMaster-Carr.

Keep on, keepin' on...
Thanks! I didn't get that divider and wondered if it was just for strength, or also for airflow direction? I might make one up if I have any cooling issues as I begin to drive the '39.
I don't have inner fenders, and don't plan to use any. I have the fenderwell headers, so they'd need to be opened up to clear those. But I also prefer to leave them open to allow more heat to exit the engine bay. So wont be installing the inner fenders.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 AM

I don't have the inners on my car either, for the same reason of letting the hot air get out.
I would like to have the hood sides on, but the cooling with the trailer has been an issue. Much of that stemmed from the 200r4. I had it built to eliminate the converter lock up feature and then was informed that, that contributed to the fluid overheating. I had it converted back and added the manual lock up control and it is much better now. I'd still like to put a smaller A/C condenser on it, for more air to reach the radiator without getting heated from the trans cooler and condenser. Maybe this summer, I will find time to work on cars again. All my time was consumed with moving after July 22nd last year... No heat in the new shop building, so everything is at a standstill..
15 degrees below zero this morning makes for a very cold working situation...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-14-2020), John long (02-15-2020), Rip VW (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 08:18 AM

Yes, no heat in my shop either, except for my little propane heater that sits atop the tank. I keep it as close as I can without setting my coveralls on fire! I have a big fan forced salamander propane heater, but it will drive me out of my small shop quickly, so I don't use it unless I plan to paint and want the shop preheated prior to painting. I shut it off during any paint work for obvious reasons.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,637 Times in 2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I was amazed to see the concrete walls didn't blow out. around here they Use a lot more 2X4's bracing on the top of the walls to keep them straight. But the anchor bolts were installed before the pour. We have to tie the bolts to rebar but we are in a mild earthquake zone. Close to Yellowstone

I came home and found the guy inserting straight pieces of threaded rod. Couldn't do a thing about it either. Concrete was setting. Only about 5 of them spun when tightening.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post

Yeah I was wondering if the braces were going to hold but the Contractor said "No Worries" He has been using these forms a long time and never had a blowout. What I noticed was the forms were made out of some weird kind of stuff kinda like a glass fiber coated wood. The walls were 1 1/4 thick. they are braced on the bottom with lengths of re bar driven into the ground. the upper form also has re bar near the top and verticals all the way to the footing. of course the form clips on top were 5/16 steel. I just came in from looking at it and there is not a bulge 1 or any deformation at all anywhere..

They put a hell of a lot of Re bar in this thing as we are in a prime earthquake zone also and double the bolts to secure the building to the foundation. There were also steel bolts in the corners that are tied to the re-bar also. The big thing on the coast is wind loading and the building has to withstand a full on 120 mph wind. All in all it looks good this morning. Monday they will pull the forms and start leveling the floor area and prepare for the floor and aprons to connect to my driveway.

Stage 1 done on to stage 2.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-14-2020), cozwurth (02-15-2020), John long (02-15-2020), Too Many Projects (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I came home and found the guy inserting straight pieces of threaded rod. Couldn't do a thing about it either. Concrete was setting. Only about 5 of them spun when tightening.
The regular attachment bolts had 90 degree pigtails on them so they can't pull out or turn The special bolts not only go all the way to the footing and are tied they also have a 90 degree tail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,695 Times in 3,814 Posts

Oh. Hell. YES! Dawg will hunt.

Looks like a damn fine job of it, that oughtta hold and them tires mean somethin'.

The control arm dampening struts or whatever... as a sway bar... presumably to free up space... thats a new brain wrinkle on me. Well, I'll be.

I made it around in the GT today. Processing the daily driver situation slowly but GTP rescue operations are a long ways out and the decade long relationship with the GT is second only to Grape. Supercharger, meh. Thats what I am telling myself until I can concentrate. Seemed like a long week.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-15-2020), cozwurth (02-15-2020), Gearhead Poppa (02-14-2020), John long (02-15-2020), Too Many Projects (02-14-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Trivia thread | - »