The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2140 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #32086 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:02 AM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,303
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,762
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Nope, don't have that crap. The more I learn about newer vehicles, the less I want one. The rental we had in AZ would shut off every time I came to a stop. What a worthless pain in the butt that "feature" is. How much gas will that really save ? Maybe a gallon a year... I eventually learned to push the trans into neutral as I was stopping and the engine would stay running, then slap it in gear and hold the throttle down a little as the light was coming back for us.

The DOD cuts off 4 cyl at idle or under light load,,it Does save gas,,down side at idle it does have a small viberation but if you push the Trailor tow button,,it idles smooth and icon in speedometer says V4 in dod and V8 in normaland starts off from light with all 8 cyl.i use mine,but I dont like the hill holder sometimes it engages when backing esoecially if you lightly touch the brake, Goods and Bads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-chevy-silverado-1500-lt-deep-ruby-metallic-27.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	452775  

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32087 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 AM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix user
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR, USA
Age: 54
Posts: 4,916
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,621
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,977 Posts
I was carb only until '09 and will avoid drive by wire as long as possible.

Took cab off a new meat round body project first thing today, 68-72 GMC LWB.

Raining cats, dogs, and other football sized varmints here today. Toads done floated off. Enough to back up the septic system so that even if you have TP, no go. Pee in rain only or go home.

Connecting my door / hood hinge braces with firewall corner braces now. Unable to add a pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (03-19-2020), Too Many Projects (03-19-2020)
  #32088 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
I will endevour to persevere
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Worshington, The State
Age: 66
Posts: 961
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,647
Thanked 1,134 Times in 622 Posts
Three cheers for the concrete team!!! They arrived at 6:30 am started pouring by 7:00 am and done by 11:00 am. This is the last big step in the shop process. Next week the two roll-up doors should arrive and the man door will be put in as well. That will make the building ready for final inspection and I make the last payment. This has been a long time coming and I am ready for the stress to be over.



I do have to say this about the concrete crew. They are the most professional crew I have ever dealt with. These guy got right to the job at hand no standing around and everyone had a job to do. It was awesome to watch them work. I am very pleased at the work they have done. It's going to be a pleasure to actually have a smooth floor. I think I am finally getting excited. The wife told me today for a garage warming present she is buying me a new Platform lift and going to have them deliver and set the lift up in the shop. I think I will buy her some good take out tonight.



So in keeping it "Real" here are some finished photos of the apron in front of the shop that they poured this morning..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cement1a.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	452783   Click image for larger version

Name:	cement2a.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	452785   Click image for larger version

Name:	cement3a.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	452787   Click image for larger version

Name:	cement4a.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	452789  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-19-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-19-2020), Too Many Projects (03-19-2020)
 
  #32089 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix user
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR, USA
Age: 54
Posts: 4,916
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,621
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,977 Posts
Paw sez we got around 3". The GMC is LS1 and 4WD. One pic is 11 gauge fender mount tab, attaches to 3 layered firewall corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_122243.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	452791   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_155330.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	452793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_165553.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	452795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_122420.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	452797  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-19-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-19-2020), Too Many Projects (03-19-2020)
  #32090 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 PM
123pugsy's Avatar
Rod...from a Chrysler?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ON, Canada
Age: 59
Posts: 4,465
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 9,829
Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Three cheers for the concrete team!!! They arrived at 6:30 am started pouring by 7:00 am and done by 11:00 am. This is the last big step in the shop process. Next week the two roll-up doors should arrive and the man door will be put in as well. That will make the building ready for final inspection and I make the last payment. This has been a long time coming and I am ready for the stress to be over.



I do have to say this about the concrete crew. They are the most professional crew I have ever dealt with. These guy got right to the job at hand no standing around and everyone had a job to do. It was awesome to watch them work. I am very pleased at the work they have done. It's going to be a pleasure to actually have a smooth floor. I think I am finally getting excited. The wife told me today for a garage warming present she is buying me a new Platform lift and going to have them deliver and set the lift up in the shop. I think I will buy her some good take out tonight.



So in keeping it "Real" here are some finished photos of the apron in front of the shop that they poured this morning..

Looks great RIP.


Did they make control cuts inside the garage? I paid extra for this. Nineteen years later, these are still the only cracks in the slab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32091 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
I will endevour to persevere
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Worshington, The State
Age: 66
Posts: 961
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,647
Thanked 1,134 Times in 622 Posts
Pugsy, No I did not have the control cuts done in the garage. I wanted a perfectly flat and smooth floor. I feel good that all the prep work for the floor was so extensive. They added fill in the garage and then brought in a big ol jumping jack to compact the ground. The ground looked almost as good as the floor does now. They also added the glass fibers to the mix for extra strength.



Even though the building will have final inspection soon the work won't stop. I have temp power I will run till I can get my electrician friend over to do permanent electrical. I wish I could have the electrical I had in my other shop as it was 200 amp. No way without a huge infusion of cash will I get my new one over 125 amp. It may be kind of like "Green Acres" where you have to unplug something when it comes to running machines. I also have insulation and sheet rock and floor but it will all come in good time. My budget is overspent and I am damn near broke but at least the hard part is done.



Still lots more to do but the Big part is nearing completion and I will soon be able to bring the hot rod and my tools home finally. It has been 12 months this month since I put my tools in storage and I can't wait to get my stuff back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-20-2020)
  #32092 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2020, 09:05 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 5,727 Times in 3,134 Posts
RIP, unless you have some very big, power hungry, equipment, 125 amp will be plenty. When there were 2 of us working in my old shop with 100 amp, The heat would be running, 8 fluorescent lights and I would be welding or plasma cutting, while John would be running air tools and the compressor on. We never had a breaker pop. When the compressor kicked on, the lights would dim slightly, but that was it.

I don't like the control cuts either, but the contractor that put my old floor in insisted on it, or he wouldn't warranty it. I hated those damn cuts, as they were always full of dirt and spilled oil/grease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-20-2020), Rip VW (03-20-2020)
  #32093 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 03:43 AM
123pugsy's Avatar
Rod...from a Chrysler?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ON, Canada
Age: 59
Posts: 4,465
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 9,829
Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
RIP, unless you have some very big, power hungry, equipment, 125 amp will be plenty. When there were 2 of us working in my old shop with 100 amp, The heat would be running, 8 fluorescent lights and I would be welding or plasma cutting, while John would be running air tools and the compressor on. We never had a breaker pop. When the compressor kicked on, the lights would dim slightly, but that was it.

I don't like the control cuts either, but the contractor that put my old floor in insisted on it, or he wouldn't warranty it. I hated those damn cuts, as they were always full of dirt and spilled oil/grease.

Sikaflex is great stuff. I put it in about 15 years ago, looks like it has another 5 years life left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (03-20-2020)
  #32094 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 AM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 5,727 Times in 3,134 Posts
I didn't have the fibers in my old floor. They said the surface would have a "fuzzy" texture and I didn't want that either. I wanted the surface as smooth as possible for sweeping. The driveway was 300 ft long gravel, and with 10 tires on the Pete dragging anything from dust to mud in, that floor got swept constantly. I wasn't concerned about it breaking, as the concrete was 6" thick with a LOT of 3/8" rebar for strength. I parked my Pete with 28' end dump in there, fully loaded at 80,000# and it never did crack. I was there 19 years and the floor, other than stains and work scars, looked like the day it was poured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-20-2020), Rip VW (03-20-2020)
  #32095 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 AM
rip-tide's Avatar
Magazines have “ISSUES”
 

Last journal entry: Looks good
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 995
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 18
Thanked 344 Times in 251 Posts
Switched sides after a very long relationship.

Welcome to a new day ...
**Started out looking at a Jeep truck. Found to many no thanks options. Biggest thing that engine shut down at a stop light deal ......... yeah I know there is an override button, so what

Mustangs been watching for a while, got interested about 5 years ago. The design refinements took a serious turn for the better.

Special ordered Nov: Ford is the only American car manufacture that has a menu of performance specific packages, you can itemize and purchase.

Jazzed to say the least, walk by one of these a distant voice can heard saying ................. HELLO !!

pep

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	452809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	452811  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rip-tide For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-20-2020), Rip VW (03-20-2020), timothale (03-20-2020)
  #32096 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 04:24 PM
idrivejunk's Avatar
Grand Prix user
 

Last journal entry: Last look
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NW AR, USA
Age: 54
Posts: 4,916
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5,621
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,977 Posts
Yesterday, a coworker my age who regularly sticks his phone in my face to show me bargains or engines and such found on FB, did so again of course while concentrating...

"This's my son, he got shot in Afghanistan yesterday."

Instantly disengage brain. Digest new info. Respond with appropriate exclamation. He walks off.

Pic was a young man with bandaged shoulder sitting up in a hospital bed. Looked pretty good but I was puzzled because a man's shoulder won't stop a 7.62x39 and it looked like only an entry wound was present.

So they talked an hour last night. I asked today. It was schrapnel from a bomb at the base. He is a commander.

So theres that. Glad I forgot to tell it yesterday. Wish I had a son but not on a day like that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_123224.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	452815   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_130202.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	452817  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-20-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-20-2020), John long (03-20-2020)
  #32097 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 0
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have to troubleshoot my car since it broke down on my yesterday. I am scanning it at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32098 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
I will endevour to persevere
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Worshington, The State
Age: 66
Posts: 961
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,647
Thanked 1,134 Times in 622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Pugsy, No I did not have the control cuts done in the garage. I wanted a perfectly flat and smooth floor. I feel good that all the prep work for the floor was so extensive. They added fill in the garage and then brought in a big ol jumping jack to compact the ground. The ground looked almost as good as the floor does now. They also added the glass fibers to the mix for extra strength.



Even though the building will have final inspection soon the work won't stop. I have temp power I will run till I can get my electrician friend over to do permanent electrical. I wish I could have the electrical I had in my other shop as it was 200 amp. No way without a huge infusion of cash will I get my new one over 125 amp. It may be kind of like "Green Acres" where you have to unplug something when it comes to running machines. I also have insulation and sheet rock and floor but it will all come in good time. My budget is overspent and I am damn near broke but at least the hard part is done.



Still lots more to do but the Big part is nearing completion and I will soon be able to bring the hot rod and my tools home finally. It has been 12 months this month since I put my tools in storage and I can't wait to get my stuff back.





Correction! I thought there were going to be NO relief cuts in the shop floor. Imagine my surprise when the concrete crew stopped by this morning and proceeds to bring out a concrete saw and divide my floor in the shop into 4 sections. He said it was part of the contract he had with my contractor to prevent or control cracking. The concrete guy said if I didn't want dirt to collect on the cuts just clean the crack and fill it with silicone and smooth it out. It fills the void yet still lets the cut control cracking. Seeing as it is only 4 individual cracks I am going to continue and if it bugs me later I will silicone over it. I tried photograph the crack but got only 1 picture as not enough light in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cementCuts1.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	452823  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-21-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-21-2020), John long (03-21-2020)
  #32099 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:37 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
Collector of "someday" cars
 

Last journal entry: continued
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 5,727 Times in 3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Correction! I thought there were going to be NO relief cuts in the shop floor. Imagine my surprise when the concrete crew stopped by this morning and proceeds to bring out a concrete saw and divide my floor in the shop into 4 sections. He said it was part of the contract he had with my contractor to prevent or control cracking. The concrete guy said if I didn't want dirt to collect on the cuts just clean the crack and fill it with silicone and smooth it out. It fills the void yet still lets the cut control cracking. Seeing as it is only 4 individual cracks I am going to continue and if it bugs me later I will silicone over it.
Uh huh, see how they are ?? I suggest filling them before they get full of dirt and any oil/chemicals you may spill. The silicone will stick much better to clean concrete. Just give it a couple weeks to cure first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (03-20-2020)
  #32100 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2020, 05:28 AM
123pugsy's Avatar
Rod...from a Chrysler?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ON, Canada
Age: 59
Posts: 4,465
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 9,829
Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Correction! I thought there were going to be NO relief cuts in the shop floor. Imagine my surprise when the concrete crew stopped by this morning and proceeds to bring out a concrete saw and divide my floor in the shop into 4 sections. He said it was part of the contract he had with my contractor to prevent or control cracking. The concrete guy said if I didn't want dirt to collect on the cuts just clean the crack and fill it with silicone and smooth it out. It fills the void yet still lets the cut control cracking. Seeing as it is only 4 individual cracks I am going to continue and if it bugs me later I will silicone over it. I tried photograph the crack but got only 1 picture as not enough light in the shop.

Right on...I thought you had a contractor that thought he could break the law of physics.


Don't use silicone.
Good stuff:







.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (03-21-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 11 (2 members and 9 guests)
MARTINSR, Too Many Projects
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 16 11-07-2015 04:26 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Problems 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.