The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2141 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2020, 07:39 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,710 Times in 3,126 Posts
Ah, that is what you were referring to, never heard of it. I thought you were referring to the fibers in the concrete mix...

I don't care for silicone as a sealant for anything. I think it's ability to stick is over rated. I find a high performance caulk to last much longer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Ah, that is what you were referring to, never heard of it. I thought you were referring to the fibers in the concrete mix...

I don't care for silicone as a sealant for anything. I think it's ability to stick is over rated. I find a high performance caulk to last much longer.

Ya, silicone is only good for glass.
We use it between our s/s tops and the bracing channels in our restaurant equipment. Bonds pretty good, well for the one year warranty period anyways...
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 01:54 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Yesterday was a busy day.. after work my oldest daughter and I finished up the insulation boards in the overhead of the first bay of the shop and started on assembling the lift. We got the heavy lifting parts done, but still have to get it shifted over into position. I'll be prepping the post feet first as they have a bit of rust on the bottoms. I'm thinking about using some tar paper under them to isolate them from the concrete.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cozwurth For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-21-2020), Gearhead Poppa (03-21-2020), idrivejunk (03-21-2020), MARTINSR (03-21-2020), Rip VW (03-21-2020), Too Many Projects (03-21-2020)

Old 03-21-2020, 05:44 PM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 7,012 Times in 3,961 Posts
I went to work for a guy in the 90s who had just built the Taj Mahal of bodyshops and he was nutso about that sealant. Current boss uses a mixture of polyester and steel in powdered form, haha. I don't like the fuzzy concrete myself.

Changed oil, serviced air filter, mowed the yard. Today.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Mowed the yard ???!!! I just looked out the window and it's friggen SNOWING... very light flurries floating around...

I told my wife for years, the next time we move, it's going to be further south.

Well, we did move further south... 7 friggen miles...
Old 03-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Mowed the yard ???!!! I just looked out the window and it's friggen SNOWING... very light flurries floating around...

I told my wife for years, the next time we move, it's going to be further south.

Yeah, we've had to start mowing here, too. Still smells like onions out here, since that's mainly what's growing right now. We're getting some huge basketball sized ant hills, too. I've counted about 12 of them around the edges of my property.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Yeah, we've had to start mowing here, too. Still smells like onions out here, since that's mainly what's growing right now. We're getting some huge basketball sized ant hills, too. I've counted about 12 of them around the edges of my property.

About 5-6 years ago, I had some large black ants start invading my old yard. I have never seen ants like that around before and all the garden variety sprays would knock them back for a short time, but even with repeated dousing's, they survived under ground. These ants made those huge mounds and had multiple entrance/exit holes. I bought this product on amazon and 1 application would kill the whole colony. I did saturate the mound and spray streams directly down the holes, not just a light coating like some recommended. I used it knock out a nest of ground bees too, which I have had trouble getting rid of in the past too. It's a little pricey, but I still have most of it left. It doesn't take much to make a gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-CSI...s%2C186&sr=8-3
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,134 Times in 622 Posts
Quote:

Actually there are fibers in the concrete but I looked all over today and didn't see a one! the floor is very smooth and not even a trace of a fiber in the cuts... Hmmm maybe he was pulling my leg...
Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,134 Times in 622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
I went to work for a guy in the 90s who had just built the Taj Mahal of bodyshops and he was nutso about that sealant. Current boss uses a mixture of polyester and steel in powdered form, haha. I don't like the fuzzy concrete myself.

Changed oil, serviced air filter, mowed the yard. Today.

I was supposed to go pick up a new mower today but convinced the wife a nice drive in the country was a lot more fun. This is 4 days in a row of Sunshine and one more to go. I think something else is gonna take priority over mowers tomorrow too.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Actually there are fibers in the concrete but I looked all over today and didn't see a one! the floor is very smooth and not even a trace of a fiber in the cuts... Hmmm maybe he was pulling my leg...
From what I have seen, the fibers wear off the surface after a while. Dad had the fiber reinforced concrete used when he built his shop. I remember seeing some fibers initially when sweeping the floor, but none now.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:19 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Washed & waxed the factory HotRod, with black paint. Eliminated some shinny brackets, seen from the rear, accenting the exhaust tips. Mowed & edged the yard, went out for a bit of highway cruising.

Need to take a look at the engine cover, hate it. Figure out a way to hide the tangled mess of tubes and wiring, tighter individual covers. So as to accent the plenum and heads, coil packs are ok seen.

That's the detail I want to see with the hood open, not a big flat plastic cover.

Most likely pull it very soon, after I figure out the running temps. Just in case there are cooling or air flow built in the thing.

After all it is a HotRod and we like to see aluminum blocks with OHCed heads.

I can tell you this I'm sure looking at the corvettes in a much different way.

jazzed
pep
Old 03-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
I was supposed to go pick up a new mower today but convinced the wife a nice drive in the country was a lot more fun. This is 4 days in a row of Sunshine and one more to go. I think something else is gonna take priority over mowers tomorrow too.
All we here are supposed to drive for is to get groceries or gas for getting groceries. Congrats on your shop and other large purchases. Hope you get back on the rod work soon.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:18 AM
Grand Prix user

Quote:

I abandoned my preferred climate zone to move way north and live near my folks. The fact that I still have my folks seems to alienate me from rodder types though. That and no wife.

I had earwigs show up in the yard one recent year. Just that one year. I played heck just figuring out what they were. Birds are my only pest control but I am due for annual termite inspection soon. I was told to keep an active termite policy in case I ever want to sell the house. I have a multitude of house issues going untended though. Theres not even enough light to get a decent shave. Count them blessings and do Chevy stuff every chance you get.

Anything to report on the distant Chevelle doings? I know you just kind of created a minimal work space at your new digs and I bet you are ready to get out there and explode onto some Chevy fixins.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,650 Posts
My daughter came out to hold the dolly inside the car for me so I got the hard to reach welds all planished. She then hung around to help with little bits for the corners and to watch the welding. She loves it....my son...nada.....zilch....zip....oh well.

Of course, my wife's boss had to have contact with one out of a hundred Corona cases in our province....so, a new sign for my office door at home:

Oh, did I mention my wife (yes, I hope she sees this) is part of the problem and not part of the solution:

OK, car stuff. One corner filled and welded with a tiny patch. Hate tiny bits....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	452839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	452841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	452843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	452847  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (03-22-2020), idrivejunk (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:24 AM

Car looks better every time you work on it.

We can't find TP in a store around here, want to ship some down...

Some stores are reserving the first hour of business for senior citizens to have first shot at products the hoarders clean out in 20 minutes after opening. Guess I need to exploit my senior status one of these days and show up. I, typically, don't use my age for preferred status, but there are times when it comes in handy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-22-2020), MARTINSR (03-22-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in