The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2157 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2020, 05:57 AM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,977 Posts
Yep, bye bye warm here too. Hopefully with less wind though.

You guys will inevitably be asked for guidance in some car decisions I will have to make soon. It looks like I will actually have to pick a shop, take the GT to it then trust and pay whatever amount if I ever want car A/C again. Of course, GTP transmission is same problem if I ever want another mile from it. Add to that parts store usage being an admission of stupidity now. That all just don't sit right with me and for now am avoiding the subject but the burner is on. Of course, the record bank balance I have now emerged simultaneously with a global crisis making improvement efforts at this time impractical. I may need that money to replace paychecks. But forget all of that.

I can't make this stuff up... Grape is an individual greater than me. Yesterday, chick at work says I was in a dream she had, along with the car and a popular celebrity. People yell and gesture wildly at the car in traffic nowadays. But I have to lean on it hard to get a burnout these days, I never wanted an attention magnet car, it is worn heavily, and will crush my personality if it breaks. Thats just not why I fixed it up. But its all that or nothing now. When it and me get into coworker dreams, thats just a bit much of what I don't want.

Poor poor pitiful me loves America, Arkansas, and Pontiac though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_162018.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	453563  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,727 Times in 3,134 Posts
Don't you guys install aftermarket A/C on these cars ? Does your work place not have an A/C charging station ? Could you use it to leak check the system ?
If not, does Gary have a go-to place for charging the installs ?

I agree, right now may not be the ideal time to be spending reserve funds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Don't you guys install aftermarket A/C on these cars ? Does your work place not have an A/C charging station ? Could you use it to leak check the system ?
If not, does Gary have a go-to place for charging the installs ?

I agree, right now may not be the ideal time to be spending reserve funds.
LOL. Yep we have a machine but about all its good for is a vacuum. I couldn't get it to recover and believe it or not I have replaced dozens of condensers all by myself using machines. But here, vac with machine and charge with gauges is the answer I get. Recovery is a stumbling block, on the P. The GT is leaked out, just has leaky low side port far as I know. I can fix that, have valve and tool. Might be able to vac it if I tried real hard but no success when I tried to recover the GTP's charge. But, I do not own nor have I ever used gauges. So there am I. Gary did name some place when cornered. But I only ever had A/C so that Mom doesn't get sweaty greeting hugs in the first place. Not really an issue anymore, we do footshakes now.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Grand Prix user

I only ever rode a Harley maybe 50ft. An AMF era 80 incher but I claim it as a braggin point even though I was 13 or 14. Well, just now I saw another feather for my hat and by-God drove a flatty fifty foot because nobody said I couldn't. Hah! One step closer to my junior rodder's merit patch!

No extra charge for the mischevious grin that took a few to wipe off. Man that thing perks right on up and picks 'em off like a real gem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_114409.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	453577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_120538.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	453579  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-09-2020), Gearhead Poppa (04-10-2020), John long (04-09-2020), Too Many Projects (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Yep, bye bye warm here too. Hopefully with less wind though.

You guys will inevitably be asked for guidance in some car decisions I will have to make soon. It looks like I will actually have to pick a shop, take the GT to it then trust and pay whatever amount if I ever want car A/C again. Of course, GTP transmission is same problem if I ever want another mile from it. Add to that parts store usage being an admission of stupidity now. That all just don't sit right with me and for now am avoiding the subject but the burner is on. Of course, the record bank balance I have now emerged simultaneously with a global crisis making improvement efforts at this time impractical. I may need that money to replace paychecks. But forget all of that.

I can't make this stuff up... Grape is an individual greater than me. Yesterday, chick at work says I was in a dream she had, along with the car and a popular celebrity. People yell and gesture wildly at the car in traffic nowadays. But I have to lean on it hard to get a burnout these days, I never wanted an attention magnet car, it is worn heavily, and will crush my personality if it breaks. Thats just not why I fixed it up. But its all that or nothing now. When it and me get into coworker dreams, thats just a bit much of what I don't want.

Poor poor pitiful me loves America, Arkansas, and Pontiac though.

My gawd....something just ain't correct in the IDJ noggin if in you don't wanna be in a girl's dreams....even in she and the celebrity was in the back seat being chauffeured around by you.....

And as for the waves....enjoy....you build a sweet ride, you deserve some accolades.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (04-10-2020), idrivejunk (04-09-2020), Too Many Projects (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
My gawd....something just ain't correct in the IDJ noggin if in you don't wanna be in a girl's dreams.....

And as for the waves....enjoy....you build a sweet ride, you deserve some accolades.
I was thinking the same thing, BUT, we don't know what she looks like either...

Damn cool to drive the flatty. Don't they idle at about 350 rpm too ? Been 51 years since I had any first hand dealings with one of those and the memory has long since faded.

I WAS going to load up the trailer with more brush this afternoon, but from when I got home from the bone cruncher at 10 till now the temp has DROPPED from 43 to 30 degrees and the wind is whipping 30 mph again. Wind chill is 18 degrees, and snow flurries keep passing thru. No outside work for me.
I REALLY need to get heat in the "shop" for next winter. I could be rebuilding the back seat for the Chevelle, emptying boxes of "stuff" and pretending to organize it... Unfortunately, it's 30 friggen degrees out there too...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-09-2020), idrivejunk (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,741 Posts
Quote:
I only ever rode a Harley maybe 50ft. An AMF era 80 incher but I claim it as a braggin point even though I was 13 or 14. Well, just now I saw another feather for my hat and by-God drove a flatty fifty foot because nobody said I couldn't. Hah! One step closer to my junior rodder's merit patch!

No extra charge for the mischevious grin that took a few to wipe off. Man that thing perks right on up and picks 'em off like a real gem.

Man ,,what a wheelie..lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (04-09-2020), John long (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,960 Times in 4,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking but, of course, owning a flathead it was not surprising to me.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (04-09-2020), idrivejunk (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Exactly what I was thinking but, of course, owning a flathead it was not surprising to me.

John
You old boys play nice with the greenhorn and enlighten me. Besides wheelstand, whuts it mean.

Ve do have vays of makink ju talk.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
My gawd....something just ain't correct in the IDJ noggin if in you don't wanna be in a girl's dreams....even in she and the celebrity was in the back seat being chauffeured around by you.....

Oh it wasn't a damp dream, the way she told it. With a witness. It may have put a little pep in my step though. I have come to accept that Grape does strange things to people.

Half my age and tattooed up one side then down t'other. I'll let you ponder which is the + and - in that.
123pugsy (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I was thinking the same thing, BUT, we don't know what she looks like either...

Damn cool to drive the flatty. Don't they idle at about 350 rpm too ? Been 51 years since I had any first hand dealings with one of those and the memory has long since faded.

I WAS going to load up the trailer with more brush this afternoon, but from when I got home from the bone cruncher at 10 till now the temp has DROPPED from 43 to 30 degrees and the wind is whipping 30 mph again. Wind chill is 18 degrees, and snow flurries keep passing thru. No outside work for me.
I REALLY need to get heat in the "shop" for next winter. I could be rebuilding the back seat for the Chevelle, emptying boxes of "stuff" and pretending to organize it... Unfortunately, it's 30 friggen degrees out there too...
Ah, well... I know the little warm snap you had took a little edge off the cabin fever. That biannual tire change drill must be a chore but its the best kind now, done. Kick back and chill, haha.

The yellow '48 did seem like yeah, kerosene compression and 350 RPM. I'll show you if John and David tell me about wheelies.

As to your lead statement... She is nice looking, pleasant, and if I can put it into vehicle build terms... I believe you could haul a full load of shine back there. Business coupe.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,960 Times in 4,418 Posts
Quote:
You old boys play nice with the greenhorn and enlighten me. Besides wheelstand, whuts it mean.

Ve do have vays of makink ju talk.
You got it. Since the picture showed you on your back looking straight up, we assumed you had pulled the front wheels up in the air.

Seriously. Most are surprised when they drive a strong flathead for the first time. While they may not make a lot of horsepower the do make a good deal of torque. After all, a 255 cu in Mercury flathead and a 454 cu in big block Chevrolet both have a 4 stroke.

We have a mountain between Chattanooga and Nashville that has a 6% grade for 6 or 7 miles. My flathead will walk that mountain in 5th gear overdrive with a fairly tall 3:25 gear in the rear end.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-10-2020), idrivejunk (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Grand Prix user

Awww!

Got it. My first senior moment! I am fairly oblivious to the world. But...

I'll stack my 3800 agin one any day flattening hills.

I was actually trying to look like an ancient astronaut carving there.
Too Many Projects (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Half my age and tattooed up one side then down t'other. I'll let you ponder which is the + and - in that.
Quote:
She is nice looking, pleasant, and if I can put it into vehicle build terms... I believe you could haul a full load of shine back there. Business coupe.
HOOO WEE, you had me at half your age and nice looking...

But, yeah buddy, I know how big the "trunk" is on the 38. Still, that would be like having a big ole soft cushion on a firm rocker with readin' material to boot... be on the front porch, just a swingin'..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-10-2020), idrivejunk (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Grand Prix user

Reading material to boot, bwahahaha! I probably could read the whole thing if'n I set my mind to it. Theres a free psycho inside every 'box though, it seems.

Nothing like a good late laugh in a day.

BTW, After being blind spotted by the older Miller 212, I used that recovery time to inform boss about all welder issues. Then suggested we swap whips on the 212s to see if we learn anything. Mike swapped them and the old dog still sparks before trigger. Then he found fused contacts. Then we ordered contacts and cancelled the whip. I think. Newer welder quits working after a few minutes' use. Parts soon, to fix the older one. Thats all I know but I got my task completed, whew.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in